or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › AMD chief says Apple will eventually use AMD chips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD chief says Apple will eventually use AMD chips

post #1 of 160
Thread Starter 
Advanced Micro Devices chief executive Hector Ruiz said Wednesday that Apple Computer will eventually use its microprocessors alongside those from Intel.

Ruiz made the comments during a dinner speech at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, according to Bloomberg.

"Everybody wants choice,'' he said, adding that rival Intel Corp's practices have stifled the PC industry's growth. "Knowing Apple, why would they want to be held hostage like everyone else has been?"

Adding AMD as a supplier would be simple for Apple because the company has already adapted its Mac OS X system software to work on Intel chips, which use the same instruction set as AMD, Ruiz said.

The Sunnyvale, California-based AMD is the world's second-largest chipmaker, behind only Intel.

The two chipmakers have been intertwined in a fierce battle for market share with AMD recently pushing Intel's share of the market to less than 80 percent for the first time in four years.

Apple has declined to comment on the report.
post #2 of 160
Sounds to me like pure wishing and pie-in-the-sky speculation on Ruiz's part.

If wishes were horses, etc.
post #3 of 160
Not going to happen Hector.
post #4 of 160
that would be of great appeal to non mac users, the introduction of amd chips would open up a whole new buisness opportunity to apple. I am doubtful of whether it will happen or not but it will be an interesting story to follow. It also makes me wonder on how intel would react to apple introducing those chips.

Sometimes though all these changes so quickly make me wonder if i shoulda waited to get my imac. I was fortunate enough to wait (because of all these rumors about new imacs coming out) to get the dropped price and new chips. I just hope we get lots of updates on the matter
post #5 of 160
Of course he wants AMD processors in Apple machines. But he obviously isn't close to anything regarding this deal. If he was, he would be Steve-silent as a chopped down log. He's angry because intel beat AMD to it, and showed off a great roadmap of processors that fit Apple's roadmap like a glove. In fact, now that I think of it... perhaps the future lineup from intel is co-planned by the two CEO's of intel and Apple from the start. Now this AMD guy just wants to make some fuzz.
post #6 of 160
I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy)Soul)

that would be of great appeal to non mac users, the introduction of amd chips would open up a whole new buisness opportunity to apple. I am doubtful of whether it will happen or not but it will be an interesting story to follow. It also makes me wonder on how intel would react to apple introducing those chips.

Sometimes though all these changes so quickly make me wonder if i shoulda waited to get my imac. I was fortunate enough to wait (because of all these rumors about new imacs coming out) to get the dropped price and new chips. I just hope we get lots of updates on the matter

Welcome to the boards and don't wait too long. The current iMacs are a phenomenal deal. I'm totally salivating over the 24" model. I have me very few people who dislike the iMac after using it. Speed and quietness are nice companions to the Mac OS.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 160
The headline is misleading. There's a big difference between "Apple to use AMD chips" and "Apple should use AMD chips."
post #9 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland

The headline is misleading. There's a big difference between "Apple to use AMD chips" and "Apple should use AMD chips."

Very good point - I was shocked to read the headline, but the story clarified it for me.
post #10 of 160
That was a silly thing for him to do unless he didn't really care if Apple wanted to deal with them and he was interested in getting some press.
post #11 of 160
The headline is incredibly misleading. He's essentially saying he can imagine apple knocking on their door evebtually, not that they have.

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #12 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.

Agree with Murch. It's a matter of time. When the dust settles on the Intel migration and AMD have an appealing product apple will make the move. However, given Intel's strong roadmap that may be a year or two down the road.
post #13 of 160
AMD has some top-notch stuff; I can't wait to see what comes of their interrogated chipsets in future products. But when Apple was looking to make the switch AMD's roadmap didn't leak as bright as Intel's. Their mobile processors, server, desktop, a mobile chip in a Mac mini from AMD would have meant fans as well. Their Performance-Per-Watt was a little higher than Intels.
post #14 of 160
2 letters my friends B.S.
post #15 of 160
Never say never, folks.
There were many, many mac heads out there who NEVER could have imagined the shift away from ppc to IBM - let alone to Intel.

my 0.02c
post #16 of 160
Oh, please no. iMac with AMD = nascarnate with x86 Intel PC.

Insead of upgrading chips every 2 months, why dont they update the machine its self. I want the G4 style iMac back! Death to the chin!
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Reply
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Reply
post #17 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.

I agree with this. Apple will probably never make people choose between different processor brands on the same computer, and won't expand their product offerings that much either. Perhaps they could use AMD in low end and Intel in the high or the reverse, but I doubt it.

Edit: 100 posts, yay!
post #18 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM

Never say never, folks.
There were many, many mac heads out there who NEVER could have imagined the shift away from ppc to IBM - let alone to Intel.

my 0.02c

Fair enough (oh but one correction - IBM was *still* PPC). As for the rest, just as soon as AMD has something as powerful (in speed, power consummation AND price) Apple no doubt WILL at the very least investigate using AMD... BUT... looking into my patented 'Not too distant future crystal ball(tm)' I don't see anything even remotely exciting (as in faster OR cheaper) coming out from AMD.

On the other-hand, Apple would be crazy not to have investigated some form of agreement (even in simple terms) with AMD already.

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #19 of 160
Hector Ruiz: APRIL FOO.....oh wait..
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #20 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

Welcome to the boards and don't wait too long. The current iMacs are a phenomenal deal. I'm totally salivating over the 24" model. I have me very few people who dislike the iMac after using it. Speed and quietness are nice companions to the Mac OS.

well ive already purchased my 20''
* Processor 0656776 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* Graphics Memory 0656798 256MB VRAM
* Memory 0656637 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB
* Hard Drive 0656528 250GB Serial ATA Drive
* Optical Drive 0656529 SuperDrive 8X (DVDRDL/CDRW)
* Modem 0656633 NO MODEM
* Apple Software Solutions 0656200 None
* MAC OS Language 0656524 KYBD/MSE/MAC OS KIT
* Country Kit and BT/AP 0656523 Country Kit

i wouldnt be to sad if they did offer an amd anytime soon though
post #21 of 160
"Fair enough (oh but one correction - IBM was *still* PPC)"
mea culpa, dave - apologies to all. Meant to write Moto.

And you're right, imo. They would be talking to AMD - have to be, mad not to.
ATI is important to Apple and now it's been gobbled by AMD I would think that there are frequent communications - I can also imagine in some dark and uber secret Lab z they test AMD chips, prolly the same Lab where they tested Intel.
post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57

Not going to happen Hector.

Of course it will happen. In fact, the OS will already be running in-house on AMD chips.
post #23 of 160
Apple currently offers a specific level of Server tier. When they expand that area it is only reasonable that they will have offerings of both.

Apple is still a main member of the Hypertransport Consortium. The motherboard issues aren't difficult hurdles.

If Apple moves passed the 1U XServe and offers a 2U or 3U or a Blade configuration they will expand their vertical markets.

These areas AMD is gouging Intel. Take a look at Sun, HP, IBM. They all have AMD.
post #24 of 160
marijuanna ladies and gentleman...
post #25 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas

In fact, now that I think of it... perhaps the future lineup from intel is co-planned by the two CEO's of intel and Apple from the start.

That's been my suspicion ever since the Mactel announcement last year.
post #26 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman4d2

marijuanna ladies and gentleman...


Marijuanna is not an hallucinogen.*




Anyway, while it is completely possible that Apple will eventually use AMD chips, this dude just*inadvertently showed his hand ..........and he's bluffing.* Any work with Apple would have been done in complete silence, as others have mentioned. This just proves there really is nothing going on.


Anyhow, didn't ATI piss Apple off more than a few times last few years?
post #27 of 160
I like how he says, "Why would Apple want to be held hostage". What an idiot. It is intel who is hostage to Apple. Apple is raping them with incredibly low margins for intel. Pretty soon, AMD will be in the Apple vice. Apple comes out on top.
post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.

Perhaps... I can't see Apple offering both AMD and Intel at the same time - that's way too much like Dell's "customize it all" business model. I could definitely see Apple jumping ship, though, or at least threatening to jump ship in order to squeeze Intel a bit.
post #29 of 160
If we can think of this why not intel, it would take a little more to scare intel, I mean they do realize how much success apple has gained because of them. I dont think they are worried at all.
post #30 of 160
He probably screwed himself over by saying such a thing.

Even if it was in SJ's head, he hates when others invite Apple into their homes (so to speak) before Apple does.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #31 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57

Not going to happen Hector.

Apple was using Intel chips in a secret remote lab while you were making the same quote against about using Intel instead of PPC.

Apple is all about opportunity, too.
Nate
Reply
Nate
Reply
post #32 of 160
They may or may not use AMD chips, but the did not "adapt" OS X to Intel. Anyone who's been paying attention knows that the port was to PowerPC, not Intel. NeXT already ran on Intel, and when they developed OS X, they developed it for both Intel and PowerPC, but they HID the Intel side.

Additionally, of course Apple isn't being "held hostage." If they want to do business with AMD, they'll let AMD know.
What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Reply
What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Reply
post #33 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezog

Perhaps... I can't see Apple offering both AMD and Intel at the same time - that's way too much like Dell's "customize it all" business model. I could definitely see Apple jumping ship, though, or at least threatening to jump ship in order to squeeze Intel a bit.

I can see it, but not in the same models at the same time. Apple switched between IBM and Motorola for their PPC chips several times, depending on the product and task in question. Their server line might possibly have Opterons if there's a worthwhile advantage even if the workstations have Core X chips, or the workstations and servers would have Opteron, but the rest of the line might be Core. I think there may be a lot of factors to consider, it it may need to be a very significant advantage to the needs of the users. Intel has had a performance advantage for media work for quite some time, so machines intended for that would likely remain Core.

It seems like AMD is having a hard enough time transitioning to 65nm processes, so it's probably not any time very soon.
post #34 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.

Heh! Apple could vigorously deny it, and then do it the next day. Wouldn't be a first.

But, I see no need for it. No expectation that AMD will surpass Intel anytime soon.

We seem to be back to the '90's, where AMD was always playing catch-up.
post #35 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland

The headline is misleading. There's a big difference between "Apple to use AMD chips" and "Apple should use AMD chips."

More like; "AMD says; "Apple, please use our chips!"."
post #36 of 160
Quote:
The Sunnyvale, California-based AMD is the world's second-largest chipmaker, behind only Intel.

According to what ? I thought it was IBM. \
post #37 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

The headline is incredibly misleading. He's essentially saying he can imagine apple knocking on their door evebtually, not that they have.

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.

"Hoping" that they will knock on their door, is more like it.
post #38 of 160
Old Dutch chief says Apple will eventually have a potato chip in every mac.
post #39 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVK

AMD has some top-notch stuff; I can't wait to see what comes of their interrogated chipsets in future products. But when Apple was looking to make the switch AMD's roadmap didn't leak as bright as Intel's. Their mobile processors, server, desktop, a mobile chip in a Mac mini from AMD would have meant fans as well. Their Performance-Per-Watt was a little higher than Intels.

"Interrogated" Chip sets?

Right now, AMD is behind in every area that serves Apple's purpose.

Late 2007, or early 2008, Intel will be going to integrated memory controllers as well. Until then, AMD will have nothing to offer Apple. And when that does happen at Intel, whatever AMD does have to offer will be moved a step back again.

Show us what models have a better performance per watt. I don't know of any that match Intel's Apple offerings. Or, that of total performance.
post #40 of 160
The average user doesn't give a carp about what CPU is inside their computer (if they even know what a CPU is). As long as the computer does what they need to do with it...

So yeah, I'm sure Apple already has Mac OS X running on AMD CPUs and is fully prepared for the situation where Intel's offerings aren't good enough for them (or AMDs are more attractive). Why wouldn't they be?

It's so funny to see the same Mac users who whine and complain about how Macs are so much better than PCs, and about how everyone should switch to Mac, dissing someone who's essentially doing the same thing in another area of technology.

Intel has gotten to the top position the same way Microsoft has -- not necessarily on the best technology, but often by locking business partners in so that they can't choose other technology even if they wanted to.

I see the AMD vs Intel battle as being similar in a lot of ways to Apple vs Microsoft.
 
Reply
 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › AMD chief says Apple will eventually use AMD chips