or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates, drops price of U2 iPod

Apple updates, drops price of U2 iPod

post #1 of 58
Apple Computer this week quietly refreshed its special edition U2 iPod, bringing it up to spec with the recently updated line of fifth-generation iPod digital music players.

Although the change is not immediately apparent from the company's U2 iPod product page, an update on the Apple online store describes the new model with "its new, brighter 320 x 240-pixel QVGA color display."

"You can view your photos and album art, plus movies, music videos, TV shows, and games you purchase from the iTunes Store," the description adds.

Like the recently refreshed line of fifth-generation iPods, the new U2 model promises up to 14 hours of music or 3-1/2 hours of video between charges. It ships with Apple's redesigned Earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable, universal dock adapter, a case and a coupon for a video download from the iTunes store.

The 30GB player comes clad in a jet black enclosure that features a prominent red Click-Wheel. On the flip side are autographs of each U2 band member engraved in black metal.

With its release, Apple has reduced the cost of the player by $50, bringing it down to $279. Still, the company charges a $30 premium for the special edition enclosure; the player is otherwise identical to the new $249 30GB iPod.

Both models include enough storage space for 7,500 songs, 25,000 photos and up to 40 hours of video.

Apple last updated the U2 iPod in June when it brought the model inline with fifth-generation iPods introduced prior to last year's holiday shopping season.

post #2 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer this week quietly refreshed its special edition U2 iPod, bringing it up to spec with the recently updated line of fifth-generation iPod digital music players.

Although the change is not immediately apparent from the company's U2 iPod product page, an update on the Apple online store describes the new model with "its new, brighter 320 x 240-pixel QVGA color display."

"You can view your photos and album art, plus movies, music videos, TV shows, and games you purchase from the iTunes Store," the description adds.

Like the recently refreshed line of fifth-generation iPods, the new U2 model promises up to 14 hours of music or 3-1/2 hours of video between charges. It ships with Apple's redesigned Earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable, universal dock adapter, a case and a coupon for a video download from the iTunes store.

The 30GB player is showcased by a jet black enclosure that features a prominent red Apple Click Wheel. On the flip side are autographs of each U2 band member engraved in sleek black metal.

With its release, Apple has reduced the cost of the player by $50, bringing it down to $279. Still, the company charges a $30 premium for the special edition enclosure; the player is otherwise identical to its new $249 30GB iPod.

Both models include enough storage space for 7,500 songs, 25,000 photos and up to 40 hours of video.

Apple last updated the U2 iPod in June when it brought the model inline with the fifth-generation iPods that were introduced before last year's holiday shopping season.

first first post!

anyway, this is getting way too stale, wouldnt you all think? It'd be SWEET to see like this w/ 100 different bands. That would be tight
post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharna

first first post!

anyway, this is getting way too stale, wouldnt you all think? It'd be SWEET to see like this w/ 100 different bands. That would be tight

Yea I am wondering how many of these things they are still selling. I guess whoever bought the original will update.
post #4 of 58
Did anyone else notice that the image on the bottom left iPod is flipped horizontally?

Edit: Actually, in looking at it closer, the whole thing is flipped.
post #5 of 58
Their store and their site doesn't seem to have any links to or mention of the U2 version. The only links I found was the one in the article and searching for "U2" in the web store.
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo

Did anyone else notice that the image on the bottom left iPod is flipped horizontally?

And so it is! Huh!

Good eyes.
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
"I have a dream, that one day, my posts will be judged by their content, not their spelling."
post #7 of 58
Quote:

I agree. U2 has made some masterpiece albums... but not in the last decade. I would buy a Radiohead iPod in a heartbeat -- never gonna happen, though; too corporate for them!
post #8 of 58
Quote:

first first post!

Seriously... U2 again? Come on! No kidding switch it up a bit... but then I'm afraid apple might go the brittney spears or some crap like that route. Why not just do away with the whole band thing and keep the colors. Know what I think would be cool is a click wheel that lit up different colors.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #9 of 58
that flipped ipod is the most interesting thing in this article.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
post #10 of 58
for some reason i am irritated that this product exists
post #11 of 58
If it were a high end model as well, that is, has the bigger battery, and HD, I might buy it. I think it is striking.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanx27

I agree. U2 has made some masterpiece albums... but not in the last decade. I would buy a Radiohead iPod in a heartbeat -- never gonna happen, though; too corporate for them!

Actually, in my (and many other fans') opinion, Pop and the soundtrack to Wim Wenders's The Million Dollar Hotel (signed by U2 in various forms, although with a few different names) are both stunning albums, both published within the last decade (1997 and 2000, respectively). After that, I have to admit, there have been a few misses and fewer hits, but I guess that's expectable after (more than) 20 years of activity and incessant world roaming.
post #13 of 58
Actually the U2 iPod was updated the same day the new iPods were announced. I was going to mention the changes last week but I figured someone else would notice. I guess not.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thmst30

Yea I am wondering how many of these things they are still selling. I guess whoever bought the original will update.

You mean the original U2 ipod or the first U2 video model because if you mean the latter I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiorario

Actually, in my (and many other fans') opinion, Pop and the soundtrack to Wim Wenders's The Million Dollar Hotel (signed by U2 in various forms, although with a few different names) are both stunning albums, both published within the last decade (1997 and 2000, respectively). After that, I have to admit, there have been a few misses and fewer hits, but I guess that's expectable after (more than) 20 years of activity and incessant world roaming.

"All that you can't leave behind", released in 2000, is considered by many one of their best albums.
Beautiful Day
Kite
Elevation
Stuck in a Moment
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
Walk on

Those are some of the great songs I can think of off the top of my head on this album.
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

You mean the original U2 ipod or the first U2 video model because if you mean the latter I doubt it.

I still have an original B&W screen U2 that I bought in Nov '04. I bought a nano to lighten up, the standard iPods are less compfortable, IMO. The U2 is a backup player when I can't find the nano. I have not bought another U2 unit, though I was tempted with the U2 with video.
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus

for some reason i am irritated that this product exists

i like u2 alright, but i feel the same way.

you could make a case about having many other special edition ipods, for artists with great resumes, yet we're stuck with the u2 version.

where's the pink madonna ipod video? i want my red hot chili peppers ipod video. red of course.
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I still have an original B&W screen U2 that I bought in Nov '04. I bought a nano to lighten up, the standard iPods are less compfortable, IMO. The U2 is a backup player when I can't find the nano. I have not bought another U2 unit, though I was tempted with the U2 with video.

Maybe I under estimated the pwer of the U2 ipod...
Quote:

Quote:

post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo

well that is a completely new design!
post #20 of 58
I think that the last four U2 albums have all been good but not great like Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. At least the band's music has actually advanced (for better or for worse) after every decade.
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
32" Sharp AQUOS (1080p) > 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz. 4Gb RAM . 32Gb Corsair Nova SSD >>> 500Gb HDD
post #21 of 58
i guess the U2 version iPod means something:
1) a key member of U2 is a closed friend of Jobs
2) U2 was the band featured in iPod first ad.

so U2 is historically connected to iPod.
say, i like Radiohead more...but i don't hope to see a Radiohead iPod or similar.

by the way, i've got a video U2 iPod myself and it really looks cooler than the original.
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook

I think that the last four U2 albums have all been good but not great like Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. At least the band's music has actually advanced (for better or for worse) after every decade.

It's like Bob Dylan. After reading that it's number one, I bought it. Disappointing is a good word. But, it is number one.

Same thing when Santana came out with his last album, after not doing anything for some years. It recieved a lot of hoopla, and even some awards, but I found it to be wanting. But, again, it sold well.

Few groups that have been around for a while are still doing groundbreaking, and good, work. But, that doesn't mean that they are not still top of the heap. And he does keep his name and his group;s, in the papers. That's why Apple does this.
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

Maybe I under estimated the pwer of the U2 ipod...

I do like the band but if I had bought a 5G U2, it would have been for the video capabilities over the previous models and the color scheme, particularly the black back is pretty neat too. It would be nice to not have those signatures though.
post #24 of 58
Quote:

I do like the band but if I had bought a 5G U2, it would have been for the video capabilities over the previous models and the color scheme, particularly the black back is pretty neat too. It would be nice to not have those signatures though.

The signatures are one of the selling points.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

The signatures are one of the selling points.

The signatures are the worst feature, in my personal opinion. I love the color scheme, the red click wheel is sick!! But I wouldn't like the U2 names on the back because I'm not their biggest fan. So it makes me choose another, less expensive iPod. I wouldn't mind paying the price premium if it didn't have those signatures there. (Others would get it too; see Macbook, black.)

I bet there are more people who would buy it just for the colors than there are people who would buy it for the signatures and the included cupon.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

The signatures are the worst feature, in my personal opinion. I love the color scheme, the red click wheel is sick!! But I wouldn't like the U2 names on the back because I'm not their biggest fan. So it makes me choose another, less expensive iPod. I wouldn't mind paying the price premium if it didn't have those signatures there. (Others would get it too; see Macbook, black.)

I bet there are more people who would buy it just for the colors than there are people who would buy it for the signatures and the included cupon.

I don't think we can prove it either way. But there are many U2 fans out there. These autographs are the closest they will get to getting one signed. It does mean a lot to some people.
post #27 of 58
U2 is my 3rd favorite band all-time after The Beatles and Radiohead, but I don't care for autographs of any kind. The red click wheel is just slick, IMO.

Still, an extra $30 is not worth it for me, so I decided on the black iPod.
post #28 of 58
Quote:

I don't think we can prove it either way. But there are many U2 fans out there. These autographs are the closest they will get to getting one signed. It does mean a lot to some people.

Mel, i am pretty sure there are more people that like red and black than U2 fans.

either way, it doesn't look like the model is going away. maybe when u2 releases a new album the whole color scheme will go kaput as it seems it was inspired by their Atom Bomb album.
post #29 of 58
Quote:

Mel, i am pretty sure there are more people that like red and black than U2 fans.

either way, it doesn't look like the model is going away. maybe when u2 releases a new album the whole color scheme will go kaput as it seems it was inspired by their Atom Bomb album.

Don't be so sure. How many albums has U2 sold over the years? Surely far more than Apple has sold iPods.
post #30 of 58
Quote:

Don't be so sure. How many albums has U2 sold over the years? Surely far more than Apple has sold iPods.

My est. would be well over 160 million, but that's over two decades, while the iPod has sold over 30 mill (?) in about half a decade.

Also, The Wall has sold around 40 million copies, but that doesn't mean that a Pink Floyd iPod would even sell a million.
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook

My est. would be well over 160 million, but that's over two decades, while the iPod has sold over 30 mill (?) in about half a decade.

Also, The Wall has sold around 40 million copies, but that doesn't mean that a Pink Floyd iPod would even sell a million.

http://forum.interference.com/t57204.html

I don't know if this is true, but it claims, as of 1997, the number of U2 albums sold was about 67 million, worldwide. If that is true, I would be skeptical that an additional 100 million would be sold in the last nine years.

The last iPod sales figures I've seen was 60 million.

I haven't heard of any numbers on what the U2 SE sales volumes were. It could very well be that they only need a few hundred thousand of each version sold to make it worth their time. Whatever those numbers are, it looks like Apple's happy enough or else they would have tried other SE variations a year ago.
post #32 of 58
Quote:

http://forum.interference.com/t57204.html

I don't know if this is true, but it claims, as of 1997, the number of U2 albums sold was about 67 million, worldwide. If that is true, I would be skeptical that an additional 100 million would be sold in the last nine years.

The last iPod sales figures I've seen was 60 million.

I haven't heard of any numbers on what the U2 SE sales volumes were. It could very well be that they only need a few hundred thousand of each version sold to make it worth their time. Whatever those numbers are, it looks like Apple's happy enough or else they would have tried other SE variations a year ago.

They likely have sold well over 100 million albums.

Apple has sold over 60 million iPods.

But for either, many people buy more than one.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of people out there who would want this.

And, I do think a Pink Floyd iPod would sell.

As would a Beatles, and a Rolling Stone one.

I'm sure country western fans would have a say as well, as would Rap and Hip Hop fans.
post #33 of 58
Quote:

well that just isn't fair, comparison-wise. you only really "need" 1 ipod, and you might "need" 10 U2 albums.

and ipods don't even cost the same as cds.
post #34 of 58
and, no matter how many million albums U2 sells, i still think there are more people who would buy the U2 ipod without the signatures on the back, just because it is black and has a really cool red clickwheel, than there are people that buy it because it is the U2 edition.

my main point here is that i believe there are far more people that could buy this ipod just for the color scheme than for the inclusion of the signatures. because it is a real pretty ipod, but not everyone wants the signatures there. maybe they could offer an option. it is a turn off for would be buyers.
post #35 of 58
Quote:

well that just isn't fair, comparison-wise. you only really "need" 1 ipod, and you might "need" 10 U2 albums.

and ipods don't even cost the same as cds.

That's not really the point.

You don't "need" either of them. You "want" them. A big difference.

But, despite the price difference, numerous people buy several iPods over a period of years, just as people buy several albums from one entertainer over a period of years.

The difference is that While I have over 2 thousand LP's, and over 3,000 CD's, my family has had only five iPods since they first came out. About the average for the number of albums I have for any particular act.
post #36 of 58
Quote:

and, no matter how many million albums U2 sells, i still think there are more people who would buy the U2 ipod without the signatures on the back, just because it is black and has a really cool red clickwheel, than there are people that buy it because it is the U2 edition.

my main point here is that i believe there are far more people that could buy this ipod just for the color scheme than for the inclusion of the signatures. because it is a real pretty ipod, but not everyone wants the signatures there. maybe they could offer an option. it is a turn off for would be buyers.

This isn't something we can logically argue, because neither of us have any way of knowing whether we are right. The truth is that it could go either way, and short of doing a survey of those who bought them, there is no way of finding out.
post #37 of 58
Quote:

And, I do think a Pink Floyd iPod would sell. As would a Beatles, and a Rolling Stone one.

Don't hold your breath on that Beatles special edition iPod...

P.S. Count me as a red/black but no signature fan. I prefer that color scheme but I'm nowhere near a big enough U2 fan to carry around their iPod. I have a healthy respect for the band and their first <6 albums but something about the signatures smacks of... label whoredom maybe? I realize the fans appreciate the feature, and it's a cool feature, but I would view it as an imperfection.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzLA

Don't hold your breath on that Beatles special edition iPod...

I'm not even holding my breath for beatles's downloads.
post #39 of 58
Quote:

I'm not even holding my breath for beatles's downloads.

If we do see it any time soon, it would probably be on the Zune service. I don't think it will be on iTunes for a long time.
post #40 of 58
Quote:

If we do see it any time soon, it would probably be on the Zune service. I don't think it will be on iTunes for a long time.

Depends on much how much they want the money. Not much will come from the Zune relationship for a while, even if it did lead to more Zune sales.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple updates, drops price of U2 iPod