or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Strawberry G3 iMac Memory

Strawberry G3 iMac Memory

post #1 of 5
Historical Question:
I want to maximze RAM in my wifes old iMac G3 so my young kids can use it.
Whats the secret to accessing the lower DIMM chip? And what is the max I can install?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmoose

Historical Question:
Whats the secret to accessing the lower DIMM chip? And what is the max I can install?

Ya know, I keep meaning to look up the service manual for ya but don't have em on my laptop. it's been ages since I done this. From memory you may have to remove the cpu heatsink / cpu board. I think the second dimm lives under that. Removing the cpu board requires propper static precaution. Assuming it's a tray loading model (as opposed to slot loading) 256mb is the max memory (2 x 128mb pc100 sodimms, although the lower slot requires a low profile module). I don't think those g3s used thermal grease on the heatsinks, as they were pretty cool running. The heatsink is tiny by modern standards... Anyway, I digress. Might not be worth upgrading... the memory is overpriced for the size, and those inbuilt screens have a real nasty habit of dying without warning. My office is littered with imacs of that generation with dead screens. If you decide to do this, tag me back, and I'll look up the exact details for you.

-t
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
I really do hope the next big thing isn't just a piece of UI garnish
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmoose

Historical Question:

Slot loading or tray loading ... this will decide what procedure you do. Oh, and one is far more complicated than the other.

Chris
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #4 of 5
The tray-loading model was not too bad... I did this to mine years ago. ... just pay attention during dis-assembly so you'll be able to re-assemble.
You DO need to remove the CPU board (a smaller IC board... little larger than a creditcard)... the trick is to NOT cut your fingers on the VERY sharp edges of a thin metal heat shield that needs to be removed in the process.
While you've got it apart, put in a bigger HD and swap the CD for a CDRW (both can be had pretty cheap these days!)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 5
I wouldn't personally upgrade it. You can get 1.25GHz G4 Minis for £250 or so on ebay. That may be more than you want to spend on a machine for the kids but it'll last far longer and give you less headaches than when your kids start screaming that the rainbow's been spinning for 10 minutes. It might be an idea for Christmas.

My mum has an old 350MHz slot loader that supports up to 1GB Ram I think. It has 384MB in it just now but IMO it is unusable with OS X, which is why she has it . I had it first, then my brother, then my Mum. She's bottom of the food chain.

I bought a 700MHz G3 ibook after the iMac and then a G4 Mini and I would say that the G4 Mini was very capable of running OS X. I would have even been content to keep using it had Apple not dropped the dual Intel Mini down to under £400.

My Dad got a 1.2 GHz G4 tower off ebay not too long ago for £225 and it runs OS X very well too.

The towers are very easy to upgrade Ram. You can get cheaper G4 towers in the £100-150 range.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Strawberry G3 iMac Memory