or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › my son put a penny in imac g3 600mhz slot drive!

my son put a penny in imac g3 600mhz slot drive!

post #1 of 12
My son put a penny in imac g3 600mhz slot drive! How in the world am I going to get that sucker out of there. It is clearly not in sight of the opening. Are these machines easily disassembled and the optical drive accessable? I am obviously not a computer tech but am wiling to dive in with some guidance. Does anybody know of a site where I can get disassembly instructions? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I love this Flower power imac and want to keep it forever. Would it be possibel to take it to an Apple store and have them do it?
post #2 of 12
Here is an article with clickable pictures. Scroll down to the "slot-load" section.

http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/

Here is Apple's manual on disassembling an iMac. I am not sure which one it is, but the date on the article is 2000 so it probably refers to the slot-loads.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...1208IMACII.PDF
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #3 of 12
I would try tipping the machine up and shaking it.

Then do the same with your son .
post #4 of 12
An Apple store would TRY to do it ... with no guarantees.

Once YOU get the drive out, if you can't get the penny out, you could probably replace it for ~100 USD. I know "MCE" used to sell a slot (and tray) loading CDRW for the iMacs.

Good luck!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 12
Stab a not so strong magnet (attached to a wire) into the slot, slip and slid and there
you go.

Though i don't stake that on.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

Stab a not so strong magnet (attached to a wire) into the slot, slip and slid and there
you go.

A penny is made of copper plated zinc (prior to the 80's they were made of bronze, and a century ago they were actually mostly copper).
so.... pennies have no iron content .... how's a magnet gonna help ???

edit: ... unless it's a 1943 penny, in which case it is copper plated STEEL... the magnet will work (and the penny is worth more than the drive in this case.)
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

you go.

Though i don't stake that on.

Pennies aren't magnetic.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

A penny is made of copper plated zinc (prior to the 80's they were made of bronze, and a century ago they were actually mostly copper).
so.... pennies have no iron content .... how's a magnet gonna help ???

[toothpick in the mouth corner mode] I gonna mull over it.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Pennies aren't magnetic.

If you put it like that, you're probably right.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #10 of 12
The computers are easily dismantled but I'm not sure that will help you - optical drives cannot be taken apart easily. I would recommend asking at an Apple store or other reseller.

Vox Barbara - I liked your suggestion.
post #11 of 12
So, to the OP, what happened?

I hate it when they take off and never come back to give an update.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #12 of 12
does it still work? if not, its upgrade time!
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › my son put a penny in imac g3 600mhz slot drive!