or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple looks to squash bugs with iTunes 7.0.1

Apple looks to squash bugs with iTunes 7.0.1

post #1 of 45
Start your software Updater or download from Apple here!

You can report back here to follow up on unresolved isssues.
One thing that's still there after the update, is the fact that videos still aren't pause-able in fullscreen, as fullscreen quits automatically when you try to pause.

Apple says: "iTunes 7.0.1 addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing, and more."

Cover Flow is definitely snappier, but I suspect there'll be other issues to bitch about, and I'll probably join in the bitching.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #2 of 45
Apple Computer on Wednesday released a software update for iTunes 7, targeting a number of stability and performance issues that have been reported with the new version of the digital jukebox software.

As reported by AppleInsider earlier this month, Apple has been working feverishly on the iTunes 7.0.1 update ever since users of the software crashed its support forums with complaints about frequent crashes, poor audio quality and interface graphic anomalies.

In the release notes for the 25MB update, Apple said only that: "iTunes 7.0.1 addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing, and more."

Upon its release earlier this month, Apple billed iTunes 7 as the "most significant enhancement to the worlds most popular music jukebox and online music and video store since it debuted in 2001." It adds several new features such as the new album and Cover Flow views of music, TV shows and movies, enabling users to quickly find titles in their library as well as casually browse through and re-discover titles they already own.

In addition, iTunes 7.0 features integration with Apple's new iTunes movie store, which currently offers over 75 movies from Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar, Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films, that customers can purchase and download to watch on their computers and iPods.

During the first week of availability, Apple said it sold 125,000 movie downloads, generating about $1 million in revenue for Disney.
post #3 of 45
I can pause and un-pause in fullscreen just fine. It doesn't exit fullscreen for me.
post #4 of 45
thank fuck for that
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

I can pause and un-pause in fullscreen just fine. It doesn't exit fullscreen for me.

It does for me. Podcast or movies, it deosn't matter. It did it in 7.0, and it does it now still.
post #6 of 45
..merged.
post #7 of 45
holy mother! 25 MB UPDATE for iTunes?!? i know it's not a great argument, but that's 1/3 the overall size of the entire application's uncompressed file size (why an audio player has to be 75 MB is a debate for another time). i mean, damn, you may as well call it iTunes 7.1 instead of 7.0.1.

that's says a lot about how this sucker got pushed out the door way before it was ready, to be available for download with the iTunes movie store. i wonder if they slipped behind schedule, or steve's schedule was too demanding? my guess is likely a little of both.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #8 of 45
post #9 of 45
repair permissons after update. theres a lot of repairs. works good for me so far.
post #10 of 45
i just use that update washer automator thing. it's free. it works. yup.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu

i just use that update washer automator thing. it's free. it works. yup.

Uhhh... I have no idea what that is. Maybe you could provide us with a link, please?
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

What was wrong with this thread..

UMMMMMM I dunno if you've ever read AppleInsider before but a new thread is automatically generated for each news article. Eventually a moderator will combine the threads. Maybe you should message a moderator next time instead of just posting.
post #13 of 45
BIG improivement for me!! See also this post for an update on my 7.0 horrorstory.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

It also goes out of full-screen for me as well. I am on the 7.0.1 update as well.

Maybe there is some sort of Plug-in or something that allows for this??
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mike Eggleston
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstewart38

UMMMMMM I dunno if you've ever read AppleInsider before but a new thread is automatically generated for each news article. Eventually a moderator will combine the threads. Maybe you should message a moderator next time instead of just posting.

...nah.
post #16 of 45
No change !
It hasn't helped me.
My iPod (30GB) is still useless. I can't do anything with it since iTunes 7.
It's worthless.
Nothing works. BUT NOTHING.
Charko
Charko
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charko

No change !
It hasn't helped me.
My iPod (30GB) is still useless. I can't do anything with it since iTunes 7.
It's worthless.
Nothing works. BUT NOTHING.

I too had some iPod issues after migrating to 7, and just reseted it through iTunes and everything was fine since then.
post #18 of 45
Charko

1 update your ipod -( when you start it pull it out and stick it back in)
2 restore your ipod -( when you start it pull it out and stick it back in)
voila
post #19 of 45
Quote:

UMMMMMM I dunno if you've ever read AppleInsider before ...

so sayeth the guy with EIGHT posts to the guy with over THIRTEEN-HUNDRED posts.

post #20 of 45
For what it's worth, before this update anytime I copied something to my iPod, iTunes would hang while trying to get gapless information. With the update, it ran through gapless info without a hitch, and it looks like it is finally usable to me.
post #21 of 45
Quote:

...nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

that's says a lot about how this sucker got pushed out the door way before it was ready,

Yeah... WAY before.... I mean, WAAAAYYY before it was ready.... Like a whole 2 weeks... Sheesh!
post #23 of 45
For what it's worth I've had no problems with iTunes other than aesthetics and features that have been removed. One thing I've noticed is iTunes is unable to match the performance Cover Flow offered as a standalone application.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

holy mother! 25 MB UPDATE for iTunes?!? i know it's not a great argument, but that's 1/3 the overall size of the entire application's uncompressed file size (why an audio player has to be 75 MB is a debate for another time). i mean, damn, you may as well call it iTunes 7.1 instead of 7.0.1.

that's says a lot about how this sucker got pushed out the door way before it was ready, to be available for download with the iTunes movie store. i wonder if they slipped behind schedule, or steve's schedule was too demanding? my guess is likely a little of both.

Apple seems to just replace the entire application rather than make a patch program.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Apple seems to just replace the entire application rather than make a patch program.

This update has not improved anything for me. iTunes 7.0.1 is still as unusable as iTunes 7.0: the UI does not refresh, movies do not display, the new fancy album display modes do not work

(Dual 867 MHz PowerMac G4, 2GB RAM)

I miss iTunes 6.x
post #26 of 45
I had no problems with 7.0. Now, 7.0.1 will randomly skip while playing. Even when absolutely nothing else is being done on my PC, it will skip. Not cool at all.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

It's funny how you assume things were rushed, despite Apple's reputation for half-assed work, or lack-there-of. My speculation is, like myself and many others that AREN'T complaigning, they didn't experience any problems. Other than laggyness, which perhaps a new machine or a dedicated iTunes machine with 10 albums would not experience, 7.0 is pretty revolutionary.

Rather than accusing Apple of sending a defective product intentionally, applaud them for quickly addressing the issues for their dedicated customers.
post #28 of 45
No problems for me with 7 that I could notice luckily, no crashes or anything.... am going to DL the update anyway to see if I see in changes though regardless.
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."
"Those who would give up essential liberties to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Ben Franklin
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

UMMMMMMM Ya so should he know???? *KISSES*
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRHain88

It's funny how you assume things were rushed, despite Apple's reputation for half-assed work, or lack-there-of. My speculation is, like myself and many others that AREN'T complaigning, they didn't experience any problems. Other than laggyness, which perhaps a new machine or a dedicated iTunes machine with 10 albums would not experience, 7.0 is pretty revolutionary.

Rather than accusing Apple of sending a defective product intentionally, applaud them for quickly addressing the issues for their dedicated customers.

you know what, on second thought, rather than posting my retort (congrats... you got under my skin), feel free to PM me and we can discuss this further, because i believe that your post is incorrect in about every other word, more or less.

p.s. apparently the update is available now, so this should solve a lot of problems. and yeah, i'm sure that there was absolutely nothing wrong, other than a lil' bit of the laggies, when apple ships an updater 1/3 the size of the installed app in about a week. yep, that's dedication. nope, in no way does it signal that apple somehow released an buggy product, despite their best efforts to meet the ipod shipping deadline (and the fact that coverflow was a standalone separate app up until a couple WEEKS before its integration... in fact having a minor update just a week prior to the announcement). nope, nothing fishy at all. and it's very revolutionary. in fact, i'd say with this update, it's revolutionar-IER!

post #31 of 45
iTunes 7.0 worked fine for me no problems what so ever. Though when I pause a video in fullscreen it does exit fullscreen mode, that doesn't bother me all that much. What does bother me though is this link still on the Australian Apple website http://www.apple.com/au/g5processor/
Why is it still there?
How is a raven like a writers desk?
How is a raven like a writers desk?
post #32 of 45
Damn ... other than the exiting from fullscreen when I pause there don't seem to be any other problems on this end.

Try reinstalling ... or better yet, just buy a new computer...
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #33 of 45
I see this update fixes the Equalizer. Good job.

- Mark
post #34 of 45
Quote:

UMMMMMMM Ya so should he know???? *KISSES*

Are you for real?
I hope you're a girl, cause those asterisk's surrounding kisses means you want to have sex with rok.
post #35 of 45
Quote:

Are you for real?
I hope you're a girl, cause those asterisk's surrounding kisses means you want to have sex with rok.

Hmm. A 13 year old, or a homophobe?

I'm guessing both.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

Hmm. A 13 year old, or a homophobe?

I'm guessing both.

ROFLMAO
post #37 of 45
Looks like iTunes 7.0.1 fixes the bug when adding artwork to multiple tracks, but I still can't GET INFO on many of my movie files. Anyone else getting that problem too?
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn

Looks like iTunes 7.0.1 fixes the bug when adding artwork to multiple tracks, but I still can't GET INFO on many of my movie files. Anyone else getting that problem too?

Can't say I'm having that "Get info" problem.
post #39 of 45
Quote:

Can't say I'm having that "Get info" problem.

I can get it, but it takes about half a second to pop up when it is a lot quicker with audio files. I wonder if there is a hang-up somewhere.

iTunes 7.0.0 also didn't authorize properly, for all the free sample tracks (song of the week, TV episode of the week) I downloaded using it, I had to enter my password, it refused to remember my password. Now it works fine.
post #40 of 45
I hate it!!! It brook my iTunes! All i can do is listen to music get go back or forward! Its making me mad! One time the bar just stop reading I could tell what the song was. iTunes FROZE!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple looks to squash bugs with iTunes 7.0.1