or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249 - Page 4

post #121 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

ROFLMAO THAT WAS AWESOME. Totally unexpected... ha ha ha ha

But so true :P
post #122 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


(from Wiki) Domo's favorite food is seasoned beef with potatoes and he has a strong dislike for apples (an unexplained mystery in his DNA). Domo is known to pass gas repeatedly when nervous or in a bad mood. I hope my brown zune doesn't act like that.
post #123 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

it's just a color anyway. having options is GOOD.

Only if they are good options. There's not much evidence that brown would be a popular color for something like an mp3 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

i think the brown zune is getting a lot of bad press and mac zealot bitching not because it really looks bad but because, let's be honest here, it is a choice done by microsoft. had it been steve-o or jon ive who made a zune-brown ipod you would all be salivating over it.

Seriously, you played the "mac zealot card"? Even die hard mac fans (and the press) slam Apple when they screw up, if apple released a brown iPod I'd bet it would get the same reaction. A crappy color is a crappy color.
post #124 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

Only if they are good options. There's not much evidence that brown would be a popular color for something like an mp3 player.



Seriously, you played the "mac zealot card"? Even die hard mac fans (and the press) slam Apple when they screw up, if apple released a brown iPod I'd bet it would get the same reaction. A crappy color is a crappy color.

lalalalalalala it's a great color lalalalalalalala

well that's a different subject but when it's about microsoft, mac zealots will justify anything-apple. the brown zune is getting everybody's bitching because it's coming from redmond, not because the color is not common. doesn't make it ugly. it's a subjective thing.

last night i noticed that the brown zune is actually not just brown. it is brown with green. the black one is black with blue and the white one is white with a black trim i think.
post #125 of 175
edit: my comments too rude :0
post #126 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

lalalalalalala it's a great color lalalalalalalala

well that's a different subject but when it's about microsoft, mac zealots will justify anything-apple.

I could just say that you are just playing the "mac-zealot" card out of resentment that not a whole lot of people agree with you. While there is a grain of truth to what you say, there generally isn't a "unified" front among Mac fans. A lot of people use Apple products for reasons other than appearance, I use them for their ease of use and on the Mac side, maintainability.

There is a lot of division about the Mighty Mouse. A lot of people just dump the thing and get a Microsoft or Logitech mouse.

There's plenty of dissention on whether the wide lower edge of the iMac panel looks good.

I use a Microsoft Natural keyboard. I think Apple's desktop keyboard is unusable due to it's spongy feel.

A lot of people here and elsewhere on other Apple fan boards complain about the limited video card choices, and other limited expansion opportunities too.

Mac fans complain about the inconsistency of the UI themes between programs.

Heck, a lot of people here seem to own XBox and XB360.

I don't even think that it's just the "mac zealots" either, I've seen quite a lot of brown Zune mockery in non-Apple-centric boards. Sure, a lot of people do like it, but it still looks like a small minority.
post #127 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

lalalalalalala it's a great color lalalalalalalala

well that's a different subject but when it's about microsoft, mac zealots will justify anything-apple. the brown zune is getting everybody's bitching because it's coming from redmond, not because the color is not common. doesn't make it ugly. it's a subjective thing.

last night i noticed that the brown zune is actually not just brown. it is brown with green. the black one is black with blue and the white one is white with a black trim i think.

Did you even read my post? It's a crap color, and if apple released it, we'd still be saying it's a crap color. "Mac Zealots" is just a weak excuse used by those who can't support their argument.

Who specifically are you accusing of being mac zealots anyway? The PC press is having a field day with the brown as well, are they mac zealots?

If it's such a great color, why isn't it popular in any consumer items? Hmm?
post #128 of 175
Just like the original chewing-gum looking Shuffle, Microsoft is probably going to have a label: "Warning. Do not eat Zune. This is not a chocolate or candy bar of any kind."
post #129 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

...last night i noticed that the brown zune is actually not just brown. it is brown with green. the black one is black with blue and the white one is white with a black trim i think.

Monkeyastronaut: Please see my post above, I edited out my rude response. I felt uncomfortable with what I said.
post #130 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Just like the original chewing-gum looking Shuffle, Microsoft is probably going to have a label: "Warning. Do not eat Zune. This is not a chocolate or candy bar of any kind."

I read that comment and had to post a picture of Dont eat iPod Shuffle, god bless Wikipedia .



I wish it was still on the site, must have been a long day at Apple Headquarters when that came out .
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
Reply
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
Reply
post #131 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

i think the brown zune is getting a lot of bad press and mac zealot bitching not because it really looks bad but because, let's be honest here, it is a choice done by microsoft. had it been steve-o or jon ive who made a zune-brown ipod you would all be salivating over it.

No, the brown zune is getting a lot of ridicule because it honestly looks like crap to most people. The fact that Microsoft made this horrendous mistake is just a bonus.

Oh, and you obviously know nothing about 'Mac zealots' if you think they wouldn't be making fun of Apple too had they shown the same lousy taste MS did.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #132 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Oh, and you obviously know nothing about 'Mac zealots' if you think they wouldn't be making fun of Apple too had they shown the same lousy taste MS did.

Indeed, there are plenty of people bitching in another thread about the new nano colours.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #133 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

well that's a different subject but when it's about microsoft, mac zealots will justify anything-apple. the brown zune is getting everybody's bitching because it's coming from redmond, not because the color is not common. doesn't make it ugly. it's a subjective thing.

Oh, you mean the gold iPod mini didn't receive criticism?
post #134 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I could just say that you are just playing the "mac-zealot" card out of resentment that not a whole lot of people agree with you. While there is a grain of truth to what you say, there generally isn't a "unified" front among Mac fans. A lot of people use Apple products for reasons other than appearance, I use them for their ease of use and on the Mac side, maintainability.

There is a lot of division about the Mighty Mouse. A lot of people just dump the thing and get a Microsoft or Logitech mouse.

There's plenty of dissention on whether the wide lower edge of the iMac panel looks good.

I use a Microsoft Natural keyboard. I think Apple's desktop keyboard is unusable due to it's spongy feel.

A lot of people here and elsewhere on other Apple fan boards complain about the limited video card choices, and other limited expansion opportunities too.

Mac fans complain about the inconsistency of the UI themes between programs.

Heck, a lot of people here seem to own XBox and XB360.

I don't even think that it's just the "mac zealots" either, I've seen quite a lot of brown Zune mockery in non-Apple-centric boards. Sure, a lot of people do like it, but it still looks like a small minority.

well i just love brown, i accept it!!!

i like the mighty mouse. i use it at work with my toshiba laptop. but at home i use a microsoft mouse and a microsoft keyboard with my powerbook g4 (it is serving as a desktop, i converted it)

i read on some other message board that on amazon.com the brown zune has a higher rank in electronics than the white version. i haven't checked it myself but that is subject to change everyday anyway.
post #135 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Oh, you mean the gold iPod mini didn't receive criticism?

no i'm saying the brown zune is getting more bad looks because microsoft chose the color. had this been a creative zen people wouldn't even talk about the thing's color.

i don't remember if the gold mini received criticism, but from your comment and apple's decision not to support it, i guess either it did, or did not sell as well as the other colors.
post #136 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

had this been a creative zen people wouldn't even talk about the thing's color.

That's because nobody would have given the Creative Zen much of a chance to succeed in the market, whereas Microsoft has the ability and will to push it through.
post #137 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Just like the original chewing-gum looking Shuffle, Microsoft is probably going to have a label: "Warning. Do not eat Zune. This is not a chocolate or candy bar of any kind."

i remember that warning on apple's website, it was amusing hehe

okay, to everyone: i have no problem accepting when i am wrong. i have been wrong many times. probably you are all right and microsoft made an unpopular choice with the brown zune. sales numbers will tell. you just better hope it doesn't outsell the white or black versions, because i'm gonna want an apology! (i'm kidding)

it is an interesting move and i guess i just feel happy someone, even if it is microsoft, decided to make a brown mp3 player, because i just like the color. that's it.
post #138 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

you just better hope it doesn't outsell the white or black versions, because i'm gonna want an apology! (i'm kidding)

No need to kid. If the brown one isn't the worst selling of the three, you probably do deserve an apology. It's just rather unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

it is an interesting move

Indeed. There must be a reason Microsoft decided on it. Is there some large region of the world where brown is a highly popular colour for things like this? Why did Microsoft go with brown? Just to be different? If so, there are plenty of other colours it could have chosen and still have been different. I don't know what's going on.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #139 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

...There must be a reason Microsoft decided on it. Is there some large region of the world where brown is a highly popular colour for things like this? Why did Microsoft go with brown? Just to be different? If so, there are plenty of other colours it could have chosen and still have been different. I don't know what's going on.

These are good questions alongside why is Bill Gates stepping down, why does Steve Ballmer act like a monkey on a caffeine-intravenous-drip, why is Vista so bloated and overdue, and who the hell is designing the Apple-ripoff GUI for Vista, and why the user experience for Vista is going to be terrible, and why are there like six versions of Vista...???


Most important question, why do people still use Windows in 99% of the world's computers?? Okay, 95% worldwide or less... Given OSX and Linux.
post #140 of 175
Also, what is the output resolution of the XBOX360 via the VGA out ? Let's say hooked up to a 1280x1024 Sony 17"LCD, what resolution is going into the LCD via the VGA cable? I know it will be upscaled by the LCD, but what is the input resolution from the XBOX360?

Off topic, I know, but an easier question to answer than the post above. Heh.
post #141 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Also, what is the output resolution of the XBOX360 via the VGA out ? Let's say hooked up to a 1280x1024 Sony 17"LCD, what resolution is going into the LCD via the VGA cable? I know it will be upscaled by the LCD, but what is the input resolution from the XBOX360?

Off topic, I know, but an easier question to answer than the post above. Heh.

Okay nevermind got my answer here:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews...D-AV-Cable/p1/
post #142 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

No need to kid. If the brown one isn't the worst selling of the three, you probably do deserve an apology. It's just rather unlikely

Indeed. There must be a reason Microsoft decided on it. Is there some large region of the world where brown is a highly popular colour for things like this? Why did Microsoft go with brown? Just to be different? If so, there are plenty of other colours it could have chosen and still have been different. I don't know what's going on.

My theory on this (and it fits perfectly with Microsoft's decades-old Apple-copying ways): MS went with brown because they wanted to duplicate the tremendous success Apple's had with black. Remember how well the black first-generation Nanos were received? It was huge. And black has been popular on the full-size iPods and MacBooks as well.

So MS, being MS, says to themselves: "Wow, Apple sure has something there with black. Let's copy them. But we can't just push black, Apple's already cornered that. I know! We'll push BROWN! BROWN is the NEW BLACK!"

And since everyone at Microsoft has lousy taste, they all went "Yay!' and now we'll have brown Zunes to point and laugh at for many months to come, until MS finally figures out how lame it is. 8)
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #143 of 175
The weirdest shit about this Brown nonsense is that MS, with all its resources, could have (would have?) done tons of research, in marketing, focus groups (yes some of that is problematic but anyway) and speaking to well known "color consultants" (yes, they're the ones that tell you what-color-is-the-new- black [or whatever the pervious cool color was]).

I apologise if I have gone out and ridiculed people about their liking of the Brown Zune. Whatever gets you off, it's cool by me. (Though there is some stuff on the intarweb that has permanently scarred my pysche). Also playing F.E.A.R. was hella freaky... But um... colors and what mp3 player you use, more power to you*. Personally, I have no idea what the Brown Zune is about and what "wow" factor MS is trying to pull off. Same question like what the HELL IS GOING ON WITH VISTA?

*Choosing the Mac and the iPod ecosystem comes with certain... responsibilities. Take it or not, at your own risk, I shall say. Heh.
post #144 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

So MS, being MS, says to themselves: "Wow, Apple sure has something there with black. Let's copy them. But we can't just push black, Apple's already cornered that. I know! We'll push BROWN! BROWN is the NEW BLACK!"

The funniest thing about this is that this is probably EXACTLY what happened in some "brainstorming room" (a boring conference room with like a few squishy desk-accessory* type things) in Redmond.






*Yes I can confirm this was the squishy desk accessory in the "brainstorming room" when they had the ray of light, er... ray of brown...

post #145 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

So MS, being MS, says to themselves: "Wow, Apple sure has something there with black. Let's copy them. But we can't just push black, Apple's already cornered that. I know! We'll push BROWN! BROWN is the NEW BLACK!"

well no kidding. that really is what they are thinking. I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

I'll see if i can find the link.
post #146 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

Even if I were willing to buy that, it would have to be some other brown, not "Zune brown". If Domo-kun turned Zune brown, I 'd suspect he was gravely ill.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #147 of 175
post #148 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

well no kidding. that really is what they are thinking. I saw some CBS streaming video online where MS's marketing guy actually said something along the lines of "brown is the new black"

I'll see if i can find the link.

LOL! That's f-ing hilarious, considering I had never seen that video.

Microsoft... I know their suckage all too well.

Too bad for them that "brown is actually the new crap."
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #149 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline

Even if I were willing to buy that, it would have to be some other brown, not "Zune brown". If Domo-kun turned Zune brown, I 'd suspect he was gravely ill.

I believe the MS guy said that Brown was the new Black and the new White. This guy looked and acted like a very desperate sales guy that did nothing but compare it to the ipod.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
post #150 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

The funniest thing about this is that this is probably EXACTLY what happened in some "brainstorming room" (a boring conference room with like a few squishy desk-accessory* type things) in Redmond.






*Yes I can confirm this was the squishy desk accessory in the "brainstorming room" when they had the ray of light, er... ray of brown...


You know, if the Zune actually looked like this squishy thing, I might have considered buying one.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
post #151 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

Did you even read my post? It's a crap color, and if apple released it, we'd still be saying it's a crap color. "Mac Zealots" is just a weak excuse used by those who can't support their argument.

Who specifically are you accusing of being mac zealots anyway? The PC press is having a field day with the brown as well, are they mac zealots?

If it's such a great color, why isn't it popular in any consumer items? Hmm?

***Major Update News From Redmond***

The Zune "Brown" is not really brown. It is actually the same "Putty" or "Beige" plastics they used on everything they made, only a little darker Hue. The cool green stripe is just the cheap glue they used, discoloring the dark beige color.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
Reply
post #152 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCompile

You know, if the Zune actually looked like this squishy thing, I might have considered buying one.

Totally. A squishy squeezable huggable playable little doll-like mp3 player. "Don't just play your music. Play with your music. The tickle-me-iPod now available."
post #153 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Totally. A squishy squeezable huggable playable little doll-like mp3 player. "Don't just play your music. Play with your music. The tickle-me-iPod now available."

Creeeeeeeeeapy.
post #154 of 175
I'm late to the Domokun party but nonetheless... (images)







post #155 of 175
post #156 of 175
You know, there are entire consulting firms that do nothing but predict what colors and finishes are going to be hot.

You see it all the time-- suddenly a color that you rarely saw in a manufactured product is everywhere. It happened just recently with orange-- all kinds of orange clothes on the market, orange and blue used heavily in station promos, cars in those odd sort of coppery colors and burnt oranges, rows of orange plastic table ware are Target, etc.

It's not clear to me if these companies really "predict" anything or if they just create self fulfilling prophesies, since lots of companies use the same consultants and get told the same thing.

At any rate I'll bet you anything that these companies are, in fact, flogging brown as the new black, and MS is just following along.

We'll see, if a lot of brown things start coming out over the next few months. On the other hand, if the Zune is poorly received, some plans might get changed...

Edit: Oh, jeeze, the Domokun fest happened while I was writing this, um, Developers! Developers! Developers!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #157 of 175
Well, as long as I'm doing all of this CD cover art Photoshopping lately...

We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #158 of 175
ROFLMAO This is classic AppleInsider threadjacking tangent-flying funny stuff. Excellence.
post #159 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

You know, there are entire consulting firms that do nothing but predict what colors and finishes are going to be hot.

You see it all the time-- suddenly a color that you rarely saw in a manufactured product is everywhere. It happened just recently with orange-- all kinds of orange clothes on the market, orange and blue used heavily in station promos, cars in those odd sort of coppery colors and burnt oranges, rows of orange plastic table ware are Target, etc.

It's not clear to me if these companies really "predict" anything or if they just create self fulfilling prophesies, since lots of companies use the same consultants and get told the same thing.

At any rate I'll bet you anything that these companies are, in fact, flogging brown as the new black, and MS is just following along.

We'll see, if a lot of brown things start coming out over the next few months. On the other hand, if the Zune is poorly received, some plans might get changed...

Edit: Oh, jeeze, the Domokun fest happened while I was writing this, um, Developers! Developers! Developers!

I mentioned color... er... sorry I can't keep spelling it that way... Anyway, I mentioned colour consultants a few posts up. Red-orange and burnt-black-titanium seems to be the go. But I'll be goshdarned if the colour consultants are pushing deadpan-brown as the new in thing. There's also some icky green edge to it. The colours are assed IMO. Seriously.

post #160 of 175
domo kun is my hero.

sunilraman, the brown zune actually looks a little bit different in "real" photos than in those press shots.







this one below DOES look like crap but it's under "full sunlight", according to the original poster


i know, to 99.99 percent of the world it looks disgusting. just wanted to show the "true" color.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249