or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249 - Page 3

post #81 of 175
The resolution on the zune is the same as iPod.
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu

zune phone.


lol.

Let's call it the Z'one.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO

Microsoft has the cash to throw around. They are trying to buy mind share. They understand that it is unbelievably hard to compete with the iPod - just as they realized that XBox had a tough road up against the PS2. However, in a few short years, the line of people waiting to get an XBox 360 was unreal...and Nintendo isn't the #2 player in the home console market anymore (in the US). People would clearly say that the leaders now are Sony and Microsoft (although look for a strong comeback from Nintendo with the Wii).

Microsoft isn't dumb. They know that their first cut of the Zune will not take over the iPod, but if they can supplant the #2 player in this iteration, then they've accomplished a lot. From the #2 spot, they can start to exert a lot more pressure on Apple.

It seems that people here are thinking too short term.

8)

--DotComCTO

The problem is the #2 spot they will overtake is one of their partners. What I want to know is what is Sony thinking? They are the only one's in my opinion who could have the ability to compete against the iPod in the long term too, but they can't trust MS now anymore.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #84 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline

What I think is behind this is the various Windows Media formats, and the associated DRM.

My theory is that Microsoft is going after a monopoly position on all media -- software, video, music, games, electronic documents -- all electronic media of all kinds. They want anything that anyone does anywhere with any form of electronic media to be ultimately dependent on a Microsoft-owned operating system, Microsoft-controlled licensing, Microsoft-designed formats, and Microsoft-held DRM keys.

That is definitely the war with the Zune v. iPod as one of the battles.

MS doesn't need the Zune to beat the iPod, it needs Vista and XBox and its other contracts with content providers to keep Apple on the defense and the Zune will be the slowly evolving mp3 player to take the iPod's place when the war is over.

Now the war is not just with Apple and I would hope the Justice Dept. or a new administration that actually cares about monopolies and corporate controls of media, will find ways to keep this from happening, but MS doesn't have to win every battle in order to maintain dominance. It just needs to keep all of the little battles going and keep enough consumers on edge enough that they eventually choose the one company that they think will be around the longest = the beast.

These tactics work in business all of the time. Bluechips do best in chaotic markets. Police states do best in chaotic societies.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu

zune phone....

hEH. We ran through some names, anyone care add?

Phune
Zuone
Zuphne
Zuphe
Zupe
Zupohne
Zuphone
Zup
'Zup
....
Hey that works, kinda like, "Wasssup" updated for the Zune generation. So the phone is like 'Zup as in Wazz 'zup dude? Reply: 'Zup.... Word y'all. I can see an incredibly horrible and annoying ad(s) based on this 'Zup concept (for several more million dollars thrown at ad agencies by Microsuft).
post #86 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook

If for the sake of a large screen, Apple ever implements a touch-screen on the iPod in place of the click-wheel, I will not buy it.

Those of you who've used PDAs or the 3rd G iPod know how GARBAGE those digital buttons are.

Apple should keep the current general iPod layout for its iPod, but if (when) the company introduces a portable video player, then the product should carry a different name and have an entirely new design (large, high-res LCD, 100Gb+ storage, etc.) that is primarily designed for video.

I doubt that Apple will every introduce an iPod Video with a larger screen.

In this (and in most areas), Apple appears to have done their homework. Remember when the first iPod with Video came out. The immediate reaction from the nay-sayers was that it wouldn't sell. The screen was so ridiculously small that nobody would buy it. So, what happen, sales went through the roof. But, before that happened, a dozen or so equally ignorant manufacturers began to dump their garbage solutions on the susceptible with the announcements, 'our screens are bigger!"

But Apple continued to sell their iPods with Video, movies, TV shows, etc., at a devil of a pace. Meanwhile the so-called answer to the visually impaired began to flounder like fish in a drying up pond. And taking their investors with them.

So, Apple did discover during their predevelopment research that, yes people, many people, would in fact be more than satisfied with their pre-determined screen size. Actually, Apple admittedly under forecasted. Oh to be this wrong.

Thus my prediction that there will be no bigger screened iPod.

Whoops. Unless you consider Apples 'iTV. Now that is going from the sublime to the ridiculous. But as we will see, it will sell in the millions, just like the iPod. And in fact Apple will most likely sell more iPod Videos. Remember, if you buy a movie DVD, you can only play it on one machine at a time. However, buying a move via iTunes, well

Thank goodness Steve for being so 'stupid'. It makes us Mac'rs look ridiculously brilliant.
post #87 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

MS doesn't need the Zune to beat the iPod, it needs Vista and XBox and its other contracts with content providers to keep Apple on the defense and the Zune will be the slowly evolving mp3 player to take the iPod's place when the war is over.

Now the war is not just with Apple and I would hope the Justice Dept. or a new administration that actually cares about monopolies and corporate controls of media, will find ways to keep this from happening, but MS doesn't have to win every battle in order to maintain dominance.

But Microsoft doesn't have anything like dominance in the media or mp3 player fields. That's why they've had to (desperately) introduce the Zune. \
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #88 of 175
Just curious, in the past I heard something about Microsoft offering replace all of the iTunes purchases at no cost for anyone switching to Zune from an iPod . Was I dreaming this or was it just a rumour?
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #89 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag

Just curious, in the past I heard something about Microsoft offering replace all of the iTunes purchases at no cost for anyone switching to Zune from an iPod . Was I dreaming this or was it just a rumour?

Seems unlikely. Say I've got 1,000 songs (and many people have many more). Record companies want royalties on those that are in neighborhood of 70 cents a song (MS does NOT own the music). So... MS is gonna buy me $700 of music (that I already have) in order to switch me to their $249 mp3 player?? Somehow I don't think so. How about the guys who have 10,000 songs? MS gonna shell out $7,000 a head to help them switch? lol

But the record companies would love it, that's for sure.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #90 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

Let's call it the Z'one.

lol
post #91 of 175
i'm excited about the zune. and my favorite model is the brown one.

i love ipods and gadgets. i've owned 5 ipods to date and about 3 palm pilots, and i think zune will be a good device that will enjoy moderate success on its first iteration.

of course, at first units will be plagued with bugs, just like every new thing that comes out, but people will buy these things. not at the same pace people buy ipods, but they won't sit on store shelves.

i am planning on buying my 6th ipod sometime next year, maybe january after MWSF. but i will consider the zune for a number of reasons that are valuable to ME.

* integrated fm tuner. mainly i want to use my ipod to listen to news but i refuse to buy a silly, pricey add-on radio that may or may not be compatible with the next ipod.
* larger screen (remember these aren't mp3 players only. people do use them for video)
* wmv support. i'm sorry but i get a lot of e-mail attachments with funny clips in wmv. it's a popular format that the ipod can't read right out of the box.
* it's different.

i own pcs and macs so i could really use any of the two players. and with the new macs being able to boot windows, any mac user with windows could use a zune too if they wanted.
post #92 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Seems unlikely. Say I've got 1,000 songs (and many people have many more). Record companies want royalties on those that are in neighborhood of 70 cents a song (MS does NOT own the music). So... MS is gonna buy me $700 of music (that I already have) in order to switch me to their $249 mp3 player?? Somehow I don't think so. How about the guys who have 10,000 songs? MS gonna shell out $7,000 a head to help them switch? lol

But the record companies would love it, that's for sure.

I agree. I really don't understand why a reasonable person can expect that rumor to be true. In order to do it, Microsoft would have to negotiate a means to transfer the rights for a much-reduced fee, and they probably would have to have a program that would delete the old tracks, which doesn't delete backups. Then there's the cost of bandwidth too. If they did offer it, I would be very afraid they would really screw it up.

So no, I just don't see it as worth doing.
post #93 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Microsoft Corp said Thursday its Zune digital media player will be sold at relatively the same price as Apple Computer's new 30GB video-enabled iPod and admitted that it will lose money on each sale as a result.

The Zune, which also comes with 30GB of storage, will retail for $249.99 (about 99 cents more than the iPod) when it goes on sale Nov. 14. Songs available for download at the Zune Marketplace service will cost about 99 cents a song, on par with prices at Apple's iTunes, Microsoft told Reuters.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software maker also told the media outlet that it needed to put a comparable price on Zune, even if it meant suffering a loss from the device's sales this holiday season.

"We had to look at what was in the market and offer a competitive price," said Scott Erickson, Microsoft's senior director of product marketing for Zune. "We're not going to be profitable this holiday but the Zune project is a multiyear strategy."

Microsoft has said it plans to spend hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of the next several years in a bid to catch Apple's iPod.

The Zune player is the first step in creating a new brand of portable devices, the company has said, adding that a Zune phone is also in the works.

Selling below cost.

One has to wonder who initiated the Zune Project. Was it Microsoft or was it Toshiba?

A. Did Microsoft go to Toshiba with the design and had Toshiba manufacture it for them?

B. Or did Microsoft go to Toshiba and purchased one of Toshiba's products and named it Zune?

C. Or did Toshiba go to Microsoft and said, "Have we got a deal for you?

So what may be the difference? Two of those possibilities may constitute DUMPING particularly if the intent is to drive out of the U.S. competition. Which there is a law against foreign companies to sell products in the United States at a price lower than cost!

Of course, anybody with the whereforall could have known that and made provisions to circumvent it. But since the iPod may not be affected as it is manufactured outside the U.S.

In any case, B or C could raise questions. And it is Friday afternoon. Just trying to raise some crap.

P.S. Before I get CRAPPED on, recognize that the verbs are in conditional tense.
post #94 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

I doubt that Apple will every introduce an iPod Video with a larger screen.

In this (and in most areas), Apple appears to have done their homework. Remember when the first iPod with Video came out. The immediate reaction from the nay-sayers was that it wouldn't sell. The screen was so ridiculously small that nobody would buy it. So, what happen, sales went through the roof. But, before that happened, a dozen or so equally ignorant manufacturers began to dump their garbage solutions on the susceptible with the announcements, 'our screens are bigger!"

But Apple continued to sell their iPods with Video, movies, TV shows, etc., at a devil of a pace. Meanwhile the so-called answer to the visually impaired began to flounder like fish in a drying up pond. And taking their investors with them.

So, Apple did discover during their predevelopment research that, yes people, many people, would in fact be more than satisfied with their pre-determined screen size. Actually, Apple admittedly under forecasted. Oh to be this wrong.

Thus my prediction that there will be no bigger screened iPod.

I don't agree. iPods with video sell pretty well, but nobody really expected otherwise since the video feature was just an extra tacked on at no additional cost. I think there's still a potential market for a video player with a bigger screen, and I think apple is just waiting until their design is just right, and the marketplace is ready for it.

Failure of other video players just means they are crappy players, and not compatible with the already established iPod. It doesn't mean that nobody wants a video player.

I agree with the idea that apple will probably introduce a video player as an additional model instead of having it replace the current iPod.
post #95 of 175
Reading the arguments by both sides, I am beginning to wonder why now. Sure it takes some time to develop a product but the writing is already on the wall for a few years already. The iPod is a runaway success, and has been for a few years. It doesnt seem plausible that M$ would just OEM a product and rush it to market. The playbook is always buy a company and re-brand their product under the M$ label. My glut feeling is that M$ has become very very worried over something. And this would be the reason why they want to launch now instead of later. My guess based on what I know and heard would be that Apple has out fox M$ and has products on every market that M$ is in or would be releasing them soon. I suspect that this seems to be reaction to incoming products that Apple is making. The Zune is there as a plug in a hole in a race for the information lifestyle. Looking at the product ranges of both companies, you would be able to see why and I wonder if anyone has done a recent product line to product line comparison between the 2.

The top 2 products that M$ produces is Windows and Office. Which are not very good products. Apple has Mac OS and iWork+iLife. On the Server OS, Windows Server and Mac OS Server. The software development side, Visual Studio and X-Code. The web browser Internet Explorer and Safari. The Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger and iChat. Calendaring and PIM, Exchange+Outlook and iCal+Address Book. We can go on and on. (Someone should anyway)

The interesting thing comes in the places where one has a product but the one has not. The first which this discussion is all about the portable music player, score 1 for Apple. The second would be the mobile phone, score 1 for M$. Games and consoles score 1 more for M$. But based on the trend, it seems that these spaces would be filled quickly by both sides. With what we have heard whisper around, it seems that both sides are trying to plug any gaps in their product lines.

I know some people will point out that Apple sells hardware and computers. This I know would be the critical difference. But who can tell if suddenly Apple decides to exit the hardware business or allow clones. (Which they have done in the past) My current 2 cents is that M$ is running scared looking at what Apple is doing or is going to release over the next 18 months. Seems to me that Apple has become a very direct threat especially with news like the Google tie up.

Well enough speculation for the time being. Just one more thing, a few weeks ago, there was a discussion on the payout by Apple to Creative. There was a suggestion that Creative was not on the list of high end audio cards for the professional market. I would like to point out that on that list, E-Mu Systems is a wholly owned company by Creative. Hate to get the last word on that.
post #96 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

So what may be the difference? Two of those possibilities may constitute DUMPING particularly if the intent is to drive out of the U.S. competition. Which there is a law against foreign companies to sell products in the United States at a price lower than cost!

It depends on what the law means by cost. The cost of parts may only be 60% of the device price, but it might cost another 45% of the device cost for other business expenses, so there is a loss. Losing money on something a product or service to get initial entry into a market doesn't seem to be prosecuted very often, I don't know if it is because some of it is legal, or if it is overlooked or ignored. Consumer printers, game consoles and other products are often sold at no profit or even a loss in order to make money on another part of the product's "ecosystem". It appears to be common enough practice that I don't think it's illegal.
post #97 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

Meanwhile the so-called answer to the visually impaired

Visually impaired? What the hell? With that reasoning, you might say that nobody needs a TV that's bigger than 13", that only visually impaired people would want a decent sized TV.

Really, there is more to picture quality than screen size, but screen size is the most obvious thing one sees. I think the iPod's screen generally has nicer color than the competitors. Competitors generally use lower quality screens, some models even tip them on their side even if the screen's colors go bonkers if you do that. I've seen too many where the viewing angle severely changes the black level, it's nearly psychedelic. Apple's iPod screen doesn't have that problem, thankfully.

I don't see iPod sales as proving that there's no point in a larger screen for video. It's mainly a music player that happens to play videos too. The video menus are still fairly crude compared to the audio track menus.
post #98 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain

With billions of songs being placed in the market as AAC format, it's just a matter of time before they begin to saturate the marketplace to a point where having AAC playback is a must. M$ will not let this happen. And therefore it won't.

This is a bloody brilliant observation. It is not solely about the hardware and its coolness factor.

If Apple doesn't wise up about AAC and start to build in better interoperability (as well as greater ease of movement between MP3 and AAC, including with iTunes downloads), its market share 5 years from now could very well end up where that of OS 8/9/10 progressively did vis-a-vis Windows.
post #99 of 175
"iPods with video sell pretty well, but nobody really expected otherwise since the video feature was just an extra tacked on at no additional cost."

Not exactly true. Apple themselves admitted that they did not foresee the success being currently enjoyed by the introduction of the iPod with Video. In fact, Steve was quite convinced that it wouldn't sell at all at one time. What is important here is the sales of the videos themselves, proving that despite the smallness of the iPod screen, it did or is not detrimentally affecting its progress.

"I think there's still a potential market for a video player with a bigger screen…" I have no argument here. In fact there are. However, they are not as successful as the iPod.

"… I think apple is just waiting until their design is just right, and the marketplace is ready for it." I can't disagree with you on the first point, because Apple has a tendency to develop significantly more 'rights' then wrongs. And business sense would support the latter. However, Apple has a history of not waiting for the market to be 'ready for it.' It often does the opposite, i.e., creating the market!

"Failure of other video players just means they are crappy players, and not compatible with the already established iPod. It doesn't mean that nobody wants a video player." I didn't and wouldn't have said, "nobody wants a video player." And neither would Apple.

"…apple will probably introduce a video player as an additional model instead of having it replace the current iPod." I also agree that if Apple did produce a 'larger' video player it would not be to replace the iPod. However, I predict that they won't. Besides the obvious, i.e. the success of the current iterations, I would be surprised that Steve would do so, considering that in this mobile world, he has a tendency to create smaller, simpler solutions. Things that become ubiquitous but out of sight.

For a moment consider music, video and possibly a phone…between the size of a package of gum and a business card. But, at the same time, enjoying it as well on a big screen…computer or TV. Thereby, bypassing the middle 'boonbox' market. Much like 'MacArthurs' strategy in the Pacific, which I am sure Steve is very familiar with.
post #100 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

I'm not sure why AAC matters. iTunes does mp3 just like it does AAC. Other devices won't be able to play back AAC with Apple's copy-protection anyway.

I think you are missing rain's main point. You argument basically runs as follows: "I am not sure why OS X matters. Macs do Windows just as they do OS X. Other devices won't be able to boot up with OS X with Apple's non-licensing anyway."

'Nuff said.
post #101 of 175
"Visually impaired!" Yikes. I do apologize for any implication that it was in reference to a physical handicap. Especially, considering that my dad was blind. And my own eyes have had to have assistance for most of my life.

My statement was directed towards those nay-sayers who were so adamant the iPod with Video would fail because of the smallness of the screen.

Re your comment, "I don't see iPod sales as proving that there's no point in a larger screen for video," I totally agree. As Apple has given evidence to that with the introduction to the larger screen iMacs, particularly the 24" and the pre-intoduction of iTV. Notice that Apple's screen are always slightly larger than the norm.

What I am saying is that Apple hands out an appetizer and turns it into a gourmet meal, with desert. Meanwhile letting the competition try to feed the masses with leftovers.
post #102 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

I believe they are using points as part of a reward system.
Write a review on the Zune Marketplace and get 1 point.
Create a playlist on the Zune Marketplace and get a point.
Trade points with friends for sexual favors...etc.
You get the idea.

youve never heard of an xbox 360? Xbox Live marketplace uses marketplace points. that is why the Zune marketplace will also use them....
post #103 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

Not exactly true. Apple themselves admitted that they did not foresee the success being currently enjoyed by the introduction of the iPod with Video. In fact, Steve was quite convinced that it wouldn't sell at all at one time.

He was talking about a dedicated video player. The iPod is just the already popular unit, with video tacked on as an extra. How could anyone possibly imagine adding a feature at no extra cost being a failure? And jobs always poo-poohs products before apple announces them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

What is important here is the sales of the videos themselves, proving that despite the smallness of the iPod screen, it did or is not detrimentally affecting its progress.

It merely proves that people want to watch movies. It's entirely possible that movie sales would go way up if they sold a unit with a bigger screen. What you're saying is like claiming that if a car getting 50 miles to the gallon is a huge seller, there's no reason to develop a car that gets 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

"I think there's still a potential market for a video player with a bigger screen" I have no argument here. In fact there are. However, they are not as successful as the iPod.

And they are not as successful because the screen size isn't enough to compensate for the other advantages the iPod has. Just as mp3 players were never big sellers until iPod came along, a portable player with a bigger screen probably won't be big until there's an iPod version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

"apple will probably introduce a video player as an additional model instead of having it replace the current iPod." I also agree that if Apple did produce a 'larger' video player it would not be to replace the iPod. However, I predict that they won't. Besides the obvious, i.e. the success of the current iterations, I would be surprised that Steve would do so, considering that in the mobile world, he has a tendency to create smaller, simpler solutions. Things that become ubiquitous but out of sight.

I don't mean a unit that is larger overall (or not much so), I'm talking about a unit similar in size to the current iPods, but with a screen that takes up much more of the unit. And "the success of the current iterations" is hardly a reason to not add new models. Successful products usually are expanded into more options, to sell to an even larger portion of the population (and in this case, even drive sales of second units to people who already have an iPod).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

For a moment consider music, video and possibly a phonebetween the size of a package of gum and a business card.

Too small to cover people who want to watch in a portable situation. You can go bigger than that and still fit in a pocket easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

Re your comment, "I don't see iPod sales as proving that there's no point in a larger screen for video," I totally agree. As Apple has given evidence to that with the introduction to the larger screen iMacs, particularly the 24" and the pre-intoduction of iTV.

But there's probably also a market for a *portable* with a larger screen as well. I could see many people owning a shuffle or nano AND a pocket sized video iPod as well. Don't forget, as big as the iPod sells, the nano is a far bigger seller. A larger screen could entice more people to upgrade to the more expensive model.
post #104 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody56292

youve never heard of an xbox 360? Xbox Live marketplace uses marketplace points. that is why the Zune marketplace will also use them....

I've heard of the 360, but I really don't know anything about the "marketplace".
post #105 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

i'm excited about the zune. and my favorite model is the brown one.

LOL. So YOU'RE the one.

You shouldn't have signed up for that MS focus group a few months back... you really threw off the results.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #106 of 175
We all know the T.V. shows and now movies are selling well on iTunes. But do we know how many of these are actually being watched on iPods?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #107 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram

I think you are missing rain's main point. You argument basically runs as follows: "I am not sure why OS X matters. Macs do Windows just as they do OS X. Other devices won't be able to boot up with OS X with Apple's non-licensing anyway."

'Nuff said.

There is absolutely no comparison between an OS and Apple's use of AAC. If no one but the iTunes store ever used AAC, it wouldn't matter in the slightest. Apple would still prevent anyone else from using iTunes Store purchases anyway, and people would just continue to rip their CDs into mp3 like most do now.
post #108 of 175
Hey Z'one doesnt sound dat bad yo. Heh.
post #109 of 175
For American pronounciation that would be "zeee one" as in "the one" like "the ultimate one". Whereas outside the USA/Canada it would be Zuh-own or simply "Sohwn". Hmmm. Heh.
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I've heard of the 360, but I really don't know anything about the "marketplace".

basically it is integrated into the dashboard of the 360.
You can download demos, videos, and certain other things for free.
You can also use marketplace points to purchase new levels, parts, pictures, and themes for your favorite games.
Marketplace points are either purchased through credit card directly on the 360 or you can buy them at the store like an itunes card.
80 points = $1
the average picture pack is 80 points.
the average theme costs 150 points.
the average extra piece is 200. ( new levels, weapons, etc. )
you can also use the points to download arcade games which range from 400 to 1600 points.
$5-$20.

Personally though, I just live off of the free demos. ( can't remember the last time I bought a game )
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

LOL. So YOU'RE the one.

You shouldn't have signed up for that MS focus group a few months back... you really threw off the results.

at least with the zune you can buy the brown one if you like it. with ipod you can't, even if you wanted.

people seem to forget apple offered a golden ipod mini. it sold bad, but the point is MS was not the first one to offer not-very-popular colors. the brownish golden mini was my favorite one too, btw.

it's just a color anyway. having options is GOOD.
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

at least with the zune you can buy the brown one if you like it. with ipod you can't, even if you wanted.

people seem to forget apple offered a golden ipod mini. it sold bad, but the point is MS was not the first one to offer not-very-popular colors. the brownish golden mini was my favorite one too, btw.

it's just a color anyway. having options is GOOD.

your argument would make sense if the Zune was going to be available in many, many colours. But it's going to be available in three - black, white and brown. Do you really think that if the choices in colours were:

black
white
red
orange
yellow
green
blue
purple
grey
brown
pink
silver
gold

That brown would be one of the three most popular colours? If not, then offering it in three colours with one of those colours being brown is not a great business move.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #113 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

at least with the zune you can buy the brown one if you like it. with ipod you can't, even if you wanted...

Oh cry me a river, I can't get a brown iPod boo hoo hooo..!! Big fracking loss. OMFG no brown iPod Apple is teh doomed.!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

people seem to forget apple offered a golden ipod mini. it sold bad, but the point is MS was not the first one to offer not-very-popular colors. the brownish golden mini was my favorite one too, btw.

The gold mini was not that popular but that doesn't mean it didn't look good. Comparing the gold iPod mini to the brown Zune is like comparing the contents of Cleopatra's tomb to a pile of horse manure.


......
......
edit:
[a lot of attitude in this post, feel free to fire back]
......
......
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

at least with the zune you can buy the brown one if you like it. with ipod you can't, even if you wanted.

people seem to forget apple offered a golden ipod mini. it sold bad, but the point is MS was not the first one to offer not-very-popular colors. the brownish golden mini was my favorite one too, btw.

it's just a color anyway. having options is GOOD.

More choice is good if the choice actually serves a need or a demand.

Please show me a survey or anything that suggests brown is anywhere near the third most popular color for a product.

Auto colors

The "light brown" in that list is actually tan, so please don't point that out, it's nowhere near the color that the Zune will look like. A dark brown like the Zune would fit in the 1% "others" group. I've never seen dark brown be popular for any product except those with a natural texture, such as leather or wood.

At least with the gold, it was understandable that they dropped the least popular (not necessarily unpopular) color because they then offered each color in 4GB and 6GB variations, offering two sizes in too many colors gets to be an inventory headache.
post #115 of 175
post #116 of 175
I like the brown zune, it looks kind of like military stuff. They should offer green as well.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #117 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Oh cry me a river, I can't get a brown iPod boo hoo hooo..!! Big fracking loss. OMFG no brown iPod Apple is teh doomed.!!!!



The gold mini was not that popular but that doesn't mean it didn't look good. Comparing the gold iPod mini to the brown Zune is like comparing the contents of Cleopatra's tomb to a pile of horse manure.


......
......
edit:
[a lot of attitude in this post, feel free to fire back]
......
......

that's precisely my point!! the gold mini looked fabulous. it was my favorite color. i hated it when apple took it away.

i think the brown zune is getting a lot of bad press and mac zealot bitching not because it really looks bad but because, let's be honest here, it is a choice done by microsoft. had it been steve-o or jon ive who made a zune-brown ipod you would all be salivating over it.

i happen to be extremely happy they chose to make this color because it is my favorite color, there are not a lot of consumer electronic products in brown and most importantly because it's DIFFERENT.

most arguments people throw around go somewhere like "hey brown zune looks like a pile of shit". give me a break, like chocolate doesn't. i am assuming microsoft won't stock brown zunes in the same quantities as they stock black and white. it's just nice having that choice.
post #118 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

More choice is good if the choice actually serves a need or a demand.

Please show me a survey or anything that suggests brown is anywhere near the third most popular color for a product.

Auto colors

The "light brown" in that list is actually tan, so please don't point that out, it's nowhere near the color that the Zune will look like. A dark brown like the Zune would fit in the 1% "others" group. I've never seen dark brown be popular for any product except those with a natural texture, such as leather or wood.

At least with the gold, it was understandable that they dropped the least popular (not necessarily unpopular) color because they then offered each color in 4GB and 6GB variations, offering two sizes in too many colors gets to be an inventory headache.


comparing it to automobiles doesn't apply here, as people don't make the same choices for cars and consumer electronics. even more so, in consumer electronics people don't usually get a chance to select from a variety of colors, other than white, black and silver.

it's like i read on a zune blog, the brown zune just has a polarizing effect on people. you love it or hate it. i think it's awesome. i just feel sorry about all the people that can't appreciate the beauty of brown. 8)
post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

your argument would make sense if the Zune was going to be available in many, many colours. But it's going to be available in three - black, white and brown. Do you really think that if the choices in colours were:

black
white
red
orange
yellow
green
blue
purple
grey
brown
pink
silver
gold

That brown would be one of the three most popular colours? If not, then offering it in three colours with one of those colours being brown is not a great business move.

well, i think brown is fashionable.

and silver is getting old. too many silver phones, kitchen appliances, tvs, etc.
post #120 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat



ROFLMAO THAT WAS AWESOME. Totally unexpected... ha ha ha ha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune to sell for $249