or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Republican Party is in flames and it's raining gasoline.

The Republican Party is in flames and it's raining gasoline. - Page 7

post #241 of 302
what an insult to lame ducks
post #242 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate

Never under estimate the party in power's ability to change the media narrative JUST IN TIME for the election. What an amazing cooincidence:

SADDAM'S VERDICT TO BE READ ON NOV. 5

Maybe they will get a chance to spend those $20 million this year afterall.
post #243 of 302
As if they didn't have enough problems!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/....ad/index.html
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #244 of 302
On the subject of election tactics here's Molly!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/...ons/index.html
post #245 of 302
it was raining burning isopropanol in my lab today...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #246 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac

On the subject of election tactics here's Molly!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/...ons/index.html

Damn, she's pretty much spot on with her view on the disparity between the electorate and how our representative government is in fact unrepresentative! I've felt the same way for many years now, but she does express this view much better than I could have ever done.

But I do have my fingers crossed this time, who knows what WILL happen on November 7th, given the above situation.

OTOH, who knows, giving them two more years to dig themselves into an even deeper hole, maybe in the end, would serve our purposes even more in 2008, a complete swing in two branches of our government.

I MUST think positive!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #247 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978

I want them to cut spending as well, but how likely is that? Not very - they have to spend a lot of money on crap to stay elected. I'm not intending to be here 20 years from now when the debt comes due anyway.

Cynical pig
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #248 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflam

Cynical pig

Well I'm sure that's exactly how Bush and the Republican Congress feel, and you wouldn't call THEM cynical pigs, would you?
post #249 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflam

Cynical pig

I'm a realist - and the spending addiction applies to both parties.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #250 of 302
Quote:

I'm a realist - and the spending addiction applies to both parties.

And just who's reality are you refering to?
post #251 of 302
Quote:

And just who's reality are you refering to?

If the US government cuts spending significantly, they you will know that you have left my reality. Good luck with that.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #252 of 302
Quote:

If the US government cuts spending significantly, they you will know that you have left my reality. Good luck with that.

Ah! Then you were refering solely to your own reality. I should have known.
post #253 of 302
deleted
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #254 of 302
Quote:

Ah! Then you were refering solely to your own reality. I should have known.

There is no other reality. How exactly am I supposed to reference some other reality other than my own? Telepathy?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #255 of 302
Quote:

There is no other reality. How exactly am I supposed to reference some other reality other than my own? Telepathy?

Oh, I dunno, maybe some of those mysterious magics like empathy, imagination, objective evidence, curiosity, literature, conversation, observation and a willingness to keep an open mind.

You may be dumbfounded to learn that by these means human beings have been doing a fair approximation of "referencing other realities" for quite a while now.
post #256 of 302
Quote:

People with closed minds ( stuck on their own point of view ) always say this.
post #257 of 302
As far as the next election I'm sure this will help!

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/27/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

post #258 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Oh, I dunno, maybe some of those mysterious magics like empathy, imagination, objective evidence, curiosity, literature, conversation, observation and a willingness to keep an open mind.

All of those things are part of your own reality, and even doing all those things I still don't see the government clamping down on spending anytime soon (they will just change the spending to other areas).
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #259 of 302
Quote:

All of those things are part of your own reality, and even doing all those things I still don't see the government clamping down on spending anytime soon (they will just change the spending to other areas).

Like I said. Can't see any other side.
post #260 of 302
Quote:

Like I said. Can't see any other side.

What do you want me to do? Suddenly say "I see the light - the Democrats will cut government spending and all will be right with the world!". Bullshit - you are no better than the Christians wanting to take things on faith.

There is absolutely no evidence for any future cut in government spending, even though my "imaginative empathy" can see it just a well as I can imagine unicorns.

Your argument is a put-down. You are trying to win an argument by insulting me, because you have no other way to win.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #261 of 302
I don't see how this is arguable, even decreases in planned increases of federal spending is a certifiable third rail. It's not even being whispered.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #262 of 302
Quote:

What do you want me to do? Suddenly say "I see the light - the Democrats will cut government spending and all will be right with the world!".

I won't presume anything about whatever "light" jimmac might want you to see, but the light I'd want you to see is that there are more important issues than lowering taxes. You may be right or wrong about what the "proper" levels of taxation are -- but we can skip the debate for now about the specifics of what and who and how much should be taxed, and how the money collected should be spent -- taxation in this country is hardly out of line with what people the world over pay in taxes. It's hardly an emergency situation to lower taxes. There are more important fires to put out. If you don't see that, I'm sorry to say, I can see how someone might be of the opinion that you are inordinately concerned about your own personal welfare at the expense of public good.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #263 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline

I won't presume anything about whatever "light" jimmac might want you to see, but the light I'd want you to see is that there are more important issues than lowering taxes. You may be right or wrong about what the "proper" levels of taxation are -- but we can skip the debate for now about the specifics of what and who and how much should be taxed, and how the money collected should be spent -- taxation in this country is hardly out of line with what people the world over pay in taxes. It's hardly an emergency situation to lower taxes. There are more important fires to put out. If you don't see that, I'm sorry to say, I can see how someone might be of the opinion that you are inordinately concerned about your own personal welfare at the expense of public good.

I was talking about government spending, not taxation. Are you suggesting that the government is not spending enough, and we should raise taxes to spend more?

I think that the government is spending too much, and will not reduce their spending no matter who gets elected - I don't see how your post fits into the current argument about how I think government spending will never go down.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #264 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline

That is the light I want him to see. With his disposition he'd only work well living on a moutain top somewhere in isolation. Certainly not in civilization.
post #265 of 302
GOP has uphill climb for cash and candidates

The party feels the drag of investigations and minority status in Congress. And then there's Bush.

By Michael Finnegan, Times Staff Writer
April 29, 2007

WASHINGTON — President Bush's unpopularity and a string of political setbacks have created a toxic climate for the Republican Party, making it harder to raise money and recruit candidates for its drive to retake control of Congress.

Some of the GOP's top choices to run for the House next year have declined, citing what Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) called a "poisonous" environment. And Republicans' fundraising edge, an important advantage over the last five years, has dwindled.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

Yeah, I probably should have started a new thread - but this is one of PO's greatest thread titles EVAR, so.....

bump
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #266 of 302
[CENTER]Karl Rove is an atheist!

"Well, I dont talk that much to themmaybe people think I do. I know something which is known to few but is not a secret. Karl Rove is not a believer, and he doesnt shout it from the rooftops, but when asked, he answers quite honestly. I think the way he puts it is, 'Im not fortunate enough to be a person of faith.'"

Christopher Hitchens[/CENTER]
post #267 of 302
Thread Necromancy... on the next Geraldo...

--------
I guess this means that Rove is not the Anti-Christ after all, eh guys?
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #268 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I guess this means that Rove is not the Anti-Christ after all, eh guys?

I don't know what that means--

But this revelation certainly doesn't do anything to correct the perception that the administration merely used the evangelicals to get elected. And when your chief policy guru doesn't believe in the policies he's helping shape, there's just a dishonest vibe there. Then again he's a hired gun and he's doing the job he gets paid for. So I don't know.
post #269 of 302
I think Buckely's been off the reservation for a while, but surely something like this must give the faithful pause:

Quote:
The Waning of the GOP

By William F. Buckley Jr.

The political problem of the Bush administration is grave, possibly beyond the point of rescue. The opinion polls are savagely decisive on the Iraq question. About 60 percent of Americans wish the war ended — wish at least a timetable for orderly withdrawal. What is going on in Congress is in the nature of accompaniment. The vote in Congress is simply another salient in the war against war in Iraq. Republican forces, with a couple of exceptions, held fast against the Democrats’ attempt to force Bush out of Iraq even if it required fiddling with the Constitution. President Bush will of course veto the bill, but its impact is critically important in the consolidation of public opinion.

There's a contingent, the White House among them, that still think calling Democrats traitors and terrorist dupes and surrender monkeys and claiming that only they "support the troops" by making them stay in Iraq for an open ended engagement is going to get that old mojo working. They still haven 't figured out that they're calling the better part of the country those things.

It's like I've said: the rabble has gone home, having lost their taste for jeering at people who turned out to be right, but the Bushies are still out there on the lawn, yelling "Pussies! Pussies!" Without a crowd of torch bearers surrounding them, they just sound ugly and angry and wrong.
post #270 of 302
Bush could have brought the troops home from Iraq. Instead he's hooked a hose to a refinery and is spraying the republican party with it's fuel.

And kids it's still raining gasoline. Amazing to watch Bush deliver this futher disgrace to all republicans that support him.
post #271 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Bush could have brought the troops home from Iraq. Instead he's hooked a hose to a refinery and is spraying the republican party with it's fuel.

And kids it's still raining gasoline. Amazing to watch Bush deliver this futher disgrace to all republicans that support him.

The GOP has to borrow money for their presidential campaign. Turns out Bush did something good for the US he destroyed the Republican party for at least the next decade.

Even some of my hard core R friends hang their heads in shame. It's a lovely thing to see. Unfortunately the "I told you so" is not making me feel any better.
post #272 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

...shameless thread bump after 7 months.....

Well done.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #273 of 302
Quote:

That is the light I want him to see. With his disposition he'd only work well living on a moutain top somewhere in isolation. Certainly not in civilization.

Seen any proposed cuts in govenment spending yet, or was I right after all?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #274 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Seen any proposed cuts in govenment spending yet, or was I right after all?

Watch this space in 2009!

And yes they've tried to cut the spending in Iraq and you've seen the results.
post #275 of 302
Quote:

Watch this space in 2009!

And yes they've tried to cut the spending in Iraq and you've seen the results.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Congress could end the war ASAP if they had the balls. They control both houses Jimmac. All it would take is a binding resolution or refusal to pass more funding. But they won't, because they are scared.
post #276 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Do or do not. There is no try.

Congress could end the war ASAP if they had the balls. They control both houses Jimmac. All it would take is a binding resolution or refusal to pass more funding. But they won't, because they are scared.

Shit, it's even easier than that. They can apparently just put a hold on something and lock it up forever.

But you're right. Those far-left commies who control the Democratic party, like Pelosi and Lieberman, are scared.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #277 of 302
Ok. I've been waiting for someone to bring this up again.

If you were the democratic congress what exactly would you do to stop Bush and this war???

Be specific and the approach has to be real. Not something you're guessing at or hoping for like impeachment which unfortunately they still don't have enough directly on him for that.

midwinter how exactly would they apply this lock? And how would they do it without being branded the bad guys by the republicans right before the election? The republicans have probably been wishing for some kind of xmas gift like this.

SDW. We keep hearing " Scared ". Of what exactly are they scared?

Any takers?
post #278 of 302
Quote:

midwinter how exactly would they apply this lock?

Tom Coburn is doing it: "Senate rules allow a single senator to block consideration of any bill, a process known as a "hold," and Coburn is stalling action on 95 bills."

Ask yourself this: how come, when the GOP held both houses the Dems couldn't do anything and now that Dems have both houses (albeit barely) suddenly the minority party is super-duper powerful? How come? When did that happen? The junior friggin' senator from OK can hold up 95 spending bills? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DID THE DEMOCRATS NOT KNOW THIS, OR DO THEY JUST SUCK?

Quote:
And how would they do it without being branded the bad guys by the republicans right before the election?

They can't, which is why they're not. My guess is that they want to campaign on the war. And that is appalling.

Quote:
The republicans have probably been wishing for some kind of xmas gift like this.

Right now, the GOP has bigger fish to fry.

Quote:

Any takers?

Sure. They're scared the GOP meanies will call them names. Period. That's it.

Well, and they're scared they might make someone angry somewhere.
post #279 of 302
Quote:

Ok. I've been waiting for someone to bring this up again.

If you were the democratic congress what exactly would you do to stop Bush and this war???

Be specific and the approach has to be real. Not something you're guessing at or hoping for like impeachment which unfortunately they still don't have enough directly on him for that.

midwinter how exactly would they apply this lock? And how would they do it without being branded the bad guys by the republicans right before the election? The republicans have probably been wishing for some kind of xmas gift like this.

Any takers?

Sure. I'll take it.

First you grow a pair and use them.

The majority leaders of both parties schedule any and all legislation up for discussion. This is why the entire year has been filled with non-binding resolutions related to Iraq. Bush cannot demand they discuss non-binding resolutions, that is what they have scheduled because that is what they want.

If they wanted to end it then they simply schedule only the spending bills they desire debate them to a vote and then send them to the president. When he vetoes them, they rinse and repeat. Any bill the minority wants is not up for consideration and is not scheduled until the majority bills are dealt with. If the minority threatens to filibuster, make them fulfill the filibuster not just threaten it. If necessary you fail to pass continuing resolutions and let the government shut down. This is exactly the approach Republicans took in 1996 with Clinton. It worked.

The reason Democrats don't do this is because Iraq is a nice way of scoring political points. If they did something about it now, it wouldn't be useful as an issues to run with in 2008. Of course now 2008 is on the way and it looks like it might not be a good issue regardless so now they are damned if they do or don't. They are seen as do-nothing because that is what they did.

Also the approach allowed Clinton to spin the Republicans negatively in 1996 using his bully pulpit. To this day there are those that credit him with balancing the budget when Republicans shut down the government and dragged him into signing on to what they put forward, all while taking the heat. This resulted in them losing a few seats in the next election so it did have a cost but back then principles were above keeping power and seats. After that amount of heat for pushing through the bills, they slowly began to change and now both parties on the hill wouldn't know a spending cut if it bit them on the butt. Now both use earmarks to push items through and obscure who is pushing the spending.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #280 of 302
So let me get this straight. You guys would have them bring everything to a grinding halt over this issue right now? That's what this sounds like.

Now if they did that how do you think it would affect other things? Like say oh the economy?

Also do you think Bush would give in?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Republican Party is in flames and it's raining gasoline.