or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Self-Assigned IP Address?

Self-Assigned IP Address?

post #1 of 6
In the last few days I've encountered connection problems with my computer. Airport displays that it is connected to my network, but I'm not able to view any web pages. In the network pane of System Preferences I get a message that I can't connect to the network because of a "self-assigned IP address." I find that I only encounter this problem when switching between networks; ie, I can use my iBook at the library, but when I return to my dormroom, I run into problems. Obviously, I don't have access to the routers. I'm running 10.4.8 with the latest updates. Any ideas as to what I can do? Thanks.
post #2 of 6
DHCP is what the Mac uses to auto-assign an IP address when it finds a network. If it has auto-assigned an IP in the library, it may not be re-assigning it in your dorm. So all you should have to do is force it to re-assign the IP by going to system prefs > network > show menu and pick airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and click renew DHCP lease.
post #3 of 6
Self assign is the computer acting as a server like, and gives itself an IP address as a "name". (Most modern OSs will do this). This means that there is a network connection but no DHCP server, and usually given the 169.168.x.x .

It is useful if you want to hookup a network that doesn't require advance things like internet. You can fileshare this way.

To make sure it's not your computer just restart it. And no crazy firewall that's blocking everything. If nothing.

This means either your DHCP server from the School is having problems or you have a really bad connection that there is massive packet loss.
post #4 of 6
Oh my god, I would love to be able to pick and stay with a local IP address since I have a bunch of ports forwarded through my router and if I restart the computer or something my dad's computer ends up getting them instead of mine since the addresses change order.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Oh my god, I would love to be able to pick and stay with a local IP address since I have a bunch of ports forwarded through my router and if I restart the computer or something my dad's computer ends up getting them instead of mine since the addresses change order.

Just tell your router to reserve an address for your MAC address.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

What Lundy said, you can limit the range of dynamic IPs that a router gives out. You then manually assign your computer an IP in the static range. Actually, I've been meaning to do that myself. I did it at work but at home, I get the same issue of port forwarding being messed up. I don't restart my machine very often though so I've never bothered to setup a static IP.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Self-Assigned IP Address?