or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › sorry but another 20'' imac issue

sorry but another 20'' imac issue

post #1 of 6
It today it gave me a warning message when a dark gray layer came over my screen and then said "You need to restart your computer now, hold down the power switch for a few seconds."

So, with all the other issues im having that got me worried, offer me some help please, my issues have been

when i first got it, it booted up to a black screen then fixed after a few tries

then it would restart every so often

now the OS restarted unexpectedly. HELPPP
post #2 of 6
First check your panic.log in /Library/logs

A similar thing happened with my brother's iMac and he found the Ram wasn't seated correctly. Try unscrewing the cover below the display and take out and reinsert the Ram. You should put the machine face down on a cloth to do this and unplug it.
post #3 of 6
Yup, this is a kernel panic. It's often an issue of RAM, like Marvin said. It may be how it's seated, but it could also just be bad RAM. If it's not seated properly, it should work fine once you fix it. Otherwise, take one stick out at a time, test start-up, etc. Switch the sticks around-- it's either the RAM, or the connector they attach to. Hope for bad RAM.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #4 of 6
wow thanx guys finally somewere to start.
post #5 of 6
I seemed to get lots of kernel panics after installing konfabulator, after I deleted that I was ok, my old USB alcatel modem software did the same
post #6 of 6
ITS ALIVEEE

thanx soooo much it works now, no issues at all. A ram stick was incorrecctly seated.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › sorry but another 20'' imac issue