or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ballmer claims Microsoft won't lose money on Zune

Ballmer claims Microsoft won't lose money on Zune - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Ballmer is a Douche-Baaag and reminds me of the Chris Farley character who lives in a van down by the river, -only less funny
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
"-but Jimmy has fear? A thousand times no. I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey strong bowels were girded with strength like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the...
post #42 of 92
With all this squirting going around, seems appropriate to link to this video
post #43 of 92
It is amazing that business allows truly obnoxious people, little affected by honesty or self-awareness to be so successful.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #44 of 92
Jesus, this guy just talked himself into a Gordian knot!

That's why I like Steve Jobs - you see him in an interview and he speaks in plain English. He says direct things like:

'...Microsoft just has not taste'.

There's no misunderstanding that sort of comment.

Not like 'squirt' you some pictures of my kids! WTF? Why not say 'Hey, I'll transfer...' or 'Hey, I'll send you...'. For the love of all that's holy, anything but 'Squirt'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme

That's what I want, is it? However, unless BOTH you AND I own a Zune, we can't squirt. We'll still have settle for me handing you my player to look at the photos Is that so terrible? Is that a problem that needs a solution? (Don't get me wrong, it's a neat extra--like the stopwatch built into iPods--but how frequently will it be used in reality? And the iPod stopwatch doesn't drain battery life waiting to find other users in range for exciting 3-day music loans.)

Does "figure out how to make money later" sound like a good business plan?

That's still not completely clear to me. That sounds like it COULD mean that MS will lose money per hardware sale, but "predicts" that they will make it up in other ways to break even. (Including the advertising budget, and the loss of PlaysForSure WMA revenue from its WMA licensees it is now competing against?) Not that it matters, MS will survive a loss.

From Buck's "Zune vs. iPod Myths" link:

What?

And on top of it all, it's not even compatible with other Microsft WMA stores

But they gave me a chance to use different smileys 8)
-----------------------------------------
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat!
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat!
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guartho

So basically, if I buy a Zune now, later it will get flooded with ads? Thanks Ballmer... but no thanks.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I've stopped buying iTMS shows because comedy central shows have that stupid commercial.

Well, that and the updates to the season pass were way too slow. I had to wait 5 days for a stargate episode.. yeah uh I don't think so Apple.
Mac user since before you were born.
post #46 of 92
1. Zune comes in brown
2. Zune looks crap
3. Zune song offerings and "Marketplace" is going to be bloated, confusing rubbish
4. Zune has "Hello From Seattle" (WHO THE FRACK CARES)
5. Steve Ballmer, via Zune, is capable of touching you in one place or many different places
6. You can use Zune squirt stuff at each other.

WTF??????????????????????? WHO OR WHAT OR WHERE THE HELL IS THIS SO-CALLED MARKETING TEAM?
post #47 of 92
post #48 of 92
It's like teaching a monkey to use a Mac.
post #49 of 92

Microsoft just doesn't get it. All that money, zero taste. Guess those two usually go together
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slughead

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I've stopped buying iTMS shows because comedy central shows have that stupid commercial.

Well, that and the updates to the season pass were way too slow. I had to wait 5 days for a stargate episode.. yeah uh I don't think so Apple.

Both ads and timetables come from the content owner, not from Apple. So problems caused by Comedy Central would not apply to other shows on iTMS.
post #51 of 92
i still think microsoft moved into this market because of apple wouldn't allow itunes on the 360.

i think they should have
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo

He lost me at "squirt".

Did he really say 'squirt'?

Maybe he meant "Squint"?? The thought of him "Squirting" puts a forever bad vision when I hear the word "Zune" now.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoisy

English not being my mother tongue and wondering about all comments, I looked in the Mac OSX dictionary for "squirt" where one definition says: |skw?rt|, verb [ trans. ], transmit (information) in highly compressed or speeded-up form".
Sounds like Ballmer is a very educated man!
Ok, ok, just having fun, I know what you mean...

It's a millitary term.
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007

I can't believe that even the English dictionary on a Mac is more complete ! According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, 2nd edition (standard with Mac OS X Tiger) :

squirt |skw?rt|
verb [ trans. ] cause (a liquid ) to be ejected from a small opening in something in a thin, fast stream or jet : she squirted soda into a glass.
cause (a container of liquid) to eject its contents in this way : some youngsters squirted a water pistol in her face.
[ trans. ] wet (someone or something) with a jet or stream of liquid in this way : she squirted me with the juice from her lemon wedge.
[ intrans. ] (of a liquid) be ejected from something in this way.
[ intrans. ] (of an object) move suddenly and unpredictably : he got his glove on the ball but it squirted away.
transmit (information) in highly compressed or speeded-up form.

noun
1 a thin stream or small quantity of liquid ejected from something : a quick squirt of perfume.
a small device from which a liquid may be ejected in a thin, fast stream.
a compressed radio signal transmitted at high speed.
2 informal a person perceived to be insignificant, impudent, or presumptuous : what did he see in this patronizing little squirt?

DERIVATIVES squirter noun

ORIGIN Middle English (first recorded as a verb): imitative.

You need a techincal dictionary for this.

http://foldoc.org/?squirt+the+bird

On this next, scroll down to page 3.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...&client=safari

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari

I think this is enough to get the idea across.
post #55 of 92
From the article: "Boom. Boom. Boom. We know how to keep coming."

You guys should squirt this article to your whole family!
post #56 of 92
Quote:
So basically, if I buy a Zune now, later it will get flooded with ads?

Basically if you buy a Zune, Ballmer will personally squirt everyone a picture of something. Free squirtpix - come with every Zune purchased!
post #57 of 92
Will Windows Vista feature the newly announced AeroSquirt interface? DirectSquirt 10? OfficeSquirt 2007? Howabout the SteveBallmer "Wizard" on your desktop. He dances around insanely until you ask him to look for a file on your hard disk or something... Then he dances more, gets sweatier, and squirts more stuff at you
post #58 of 92
Damn, it's been a while since I've laughed so much in the office... my colleagues must think I'm insane...
post #59 of 92
Steve Ballmer, Squirting your kids since 2006

????!?!?!?!?!??!?!???!?!????
post #60 of 92
that picture of balmers face...........

My cats just lost the ability to mate
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard

Not like 'squirt' you some pictures of my kids! WTF? Why not say 'Hey, I'll transfer...' or 'Hey, I'll send you...'. For the love of all that's holy, anything but 'Squirt'!

With the current Internet & politics scandal happening now in the US, squirt really is a very unfortunate choice of words to bring to public consciousness.
post #62 of 92
Ballmer doesn't grasp it. He thinks in terms of macro economical strategy. Earning software money by selling hardware.
He thinks the iPod is just one big software dongle.

The point is the product itself and it's qualities, in terms of hard and software. Apple makes no distinction between hard and software.

You can't win against iPod if you think in terms of squirting video to others via a brown device you can hardly afford to produce.

You must think in terms of very concrete features that add to quality, while adding as little to production costs as possible.
You have to think in terms clickwheels, aluminium, screen brightness, battery life, thinness, scratches (oh my), album art, clicks-per-action...

And moreover, you have to think like that *as a CEO*.

And when it comes to networking, instead of 'squirting', you have to think in terms of *sharing*, *allowing* others to *browse* your playlists and *request* your content.

That's the kind of networking we'll see from Apple in 2007, I bet.

This Ballmer is such a male chauvinistic pig.
post #63 of 92
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #64 of 92
Quote:

From Buck's "Zune vs. iPod Myths" link:

As much as I enjoyed his blog, it doesn't sound like he's being honest with that one (or at least he's repeting info that isn't true). The Zune will support PLAYBACK of video from day one. It even ships with music videos. Zune just won't be selling videos/movies to consumers from day one. If you follow the links, the bit "the Zune won't immediately have video playback capability" is just a quote from another article, not a quote from a MS person - they don't say that in their interview and I have yet to see a MS quote that says that.
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong. Ooomph chicka ooompha chicka, bong-da-da-dong-da-da-dong.

Blimey!, Ballmer must be an Oompa Loompa! We must throw him in the chocolate river! Ohno! He's been squirted into a Zune! What have we done! What have we done! Bring on the nasty squirrels!
post #66 of 92
Quote:

Both ads and timetables come from the content owner, not from Apple. So problems caused by Comedy Central would not apply to other shows on iTMS.

Well duh. If Apple had their way, everything would be commercial free and up there concurrently with the airing of the episode.

The point is: if Apple can't ensure that the product is commercial-free and delivered on time, I don't care whose fault it is, I'm not using iTMS.

Moreover, as I should EXPECT for things to be on time and commercial-free, I should be NOTIFIED of exceptions before I purchase the episode. This is especially true considering iTMS was first pitched to users under the idea of on-demand and no commercials.

And to keep it on topic: I wonder if a PlaysForSure company will have TV shows like Apple does, and if so, will they have un-skippable commercials?
post #67 of 92
Apple should really put their foot down and insist that if networks want to sell their shows, they should be commercial free. I'm disappointed that they allow that.
post #68 of 92
Zune: Squirt more often. Podjack less.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

...Developers Developers Developers Developers
Developers Developers Developers Developers...

love it!!
perhaps thats all that goes on at microsoft, squirting........ mental cases
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #70 of 92
Quote:

Making fun of Ballmer's stage presence is just childish.

Nonetheless....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m6rqXHX3O48

Young FrankenSteve

Now THAT is AWESOME. Nice work to who did it.
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman4d2

that picture of balmers face...........

My cats just lost the ability to mate

OMG, I think I just soiled my pants!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

Maybe we should flood North Korea with that image - bet that would make then dismantle
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #72 of 92
Why is everyone so up in arms? All Ballmer wants to do is squirt stuff (er, content) in millions of kids' faces.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Why is everyone so up in arms? All Ballmer wants to do is squirt stuff (er, content) in millions of kids' faces.

we'll have none of that here, thats for the courts to decide.
post #74 of 92
I have to think Microsoft is losing money on each Zune player. . . unless Toshiba is giving them a heck of a deal..?

I wouldn't think they would care. They spent umpteen millions getting Xbox developed and promoted - and it will probably pay off for them eventually.

Same with Zune I would think.

Disclosure: I write da blog for www.Zunerama.com
Disclosure: I'm not an Apple or iPod hater either.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabgod

I have to think Microsoft is losing money on each Zune player. . . unless Toshiba is giving them a heck of a deal..?

I wouldn't think they would care. They spent umpteen millions getting Xbox developed and promoted - and it will probably pay off for them eventually.

Same with Zune I would think.

Microsoft's Xbox unit has yet to turn a profit (in fact, its lost billions), so that might be a bad example to cite.

Oh, and way to plug your site, dude. Sigh.

post #76 of 92
MS makes money on every game sold for Xbox, whether they worked on the game or not. That helps subsidize losses on hardware (but in the case of xbox, not anywhere close to enough).

Selling songs online isn't that profitable, not to mention that many users just buy the player and rip cd's (or pirate the music). They won't break even until cost of manufacturing drops. And at that point, Apple will have dropped prices even more.

The future looks pretty ugly for zune.
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabgod

Disclosure: I write da blog for www.Zunerama.com
Disclosure: I'm not an Apple or iPod hater either.

Thanks for the disclosure, but from your webpage regarding games for the iPod ... I think you are mistaken in your assertion that Apple missed in not opening the SDK's to third parties right away. Not all of the games were developed by Apple. Apple must have had to release the SDK's to some of the other games vendors - we just don't know about them yet. I think alot of those enabling capabilities and apps haven't come to the light of day, but are being worked on in many basements around the country.

You wrote:
"This is an opportunity for Microsoft, and one we hope it capitalizes on. Specifically, we hope that Microsoft will:

Release - soon - an SDK for Zune.
Partner with the legions of game developers who are frustrated with Apple's closed iPod environment.
Help those developers sell their apps through Marketplace.
Create an environment of creativity and nurturing."

Have you used a Zune yet? When has Microsoft ever created an environment of creativity and nurturing for anyone? I'm sure Creative feels nurtured now that Zune won't work on Plays for Sure?

"Consider the area of games alone. Zune has a beefy processor, a beautiful 3" screen, great audio, and a control pad - a complete platform for some serious gaming."

Again, have you played a game on a Zune yet? The day MS finally opens its SDK to everyone, Apple could do the same and then it would be game over.

Since we are still in the Model T time period of mp3 player story, I think Apple wants to finish refining the architecture and code-base before letting developers add lots of apps that will just have to be re-coded when new versions are introduced. Microsoft will have to wait a bit too, before the platform is stable enough to let others tweak with it.

Palm did a good job of making an open model for third party developers, but in someways it became so successful that every time something new was added (color, etc.), you had to upgrade your apps to make it worthwhile. I wonder if Palm had been able to keep everything in house for a few extra years whether the PalmOS would have been made more powerful to stave off WindowsMobile. Who knows?

I would love Apple to open up both the iPod OS and FrontRow to third parties right now, but I'm guessing the market needs to wait for the platform to evolve a little bit longer. If Microsoft jumps the gun, it may self-limit its future development - kinda like staying with DOS too long.

Good luck with your website, but don't put too much of your heart into the Zune "marketplace" because it isn't going to change the minds of many iPod owners, much less change the world.
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

With the current Internet & politics scandal happening now in the US, squirt really is a very unfortunate choice of words to bring to public consciousness.

Yeah, masturbation has been getting a real bad rap recently
Seriously though, a absolutely horrendous choice of words. Who else but Ballmer would come up with that rubbish.
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic

You must think in terms of very concrete features that add to quality, while adding as little to production costs as possible.
You have to think in terms clickwheels, aluminium, screen brightness, battery life, thinness, scratches (oh my), album art, clicks-per-action...

Uh... wasn't Apple the company who had this scratch problem? My front row remote has lots of scratches, and I really don't use it that often. And I'm handling it with care. The new nano was a good move.
Album art... have you seen the Zune interface. Wonderful... huge album art, looks very clean, nice integrated. Into the whole interface.
What do you mean by clicks-per-action?
I think the sharing feature will be quite a feature to most customers, more than things like screen brightness or scratch-proof-ness (I guess that gets important when you notice that it's a problem on your player).

That being said, the "maybe we'll put advertisement on the player on day or another" thing is really putting me off. That and DRM.

The brown player actually looks quite nice I think, it's something different, not as striking as most of the nanos colors. Not everyone likes that.
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadajawi

What do you mean by clicks-per-action?

I think what is meant is the number of clicks needed to perform a basic task. It's kind of the idea that makes it an efficient user interface. How many clicks does it get to just start playing? How many clicks does it take to start a given playlist? I'm not sure iPod is as great as it could be in that regard, I think the video section is a bit of a mess, at least my biggest compliant is that "video playlists" can have ordinary audio files in the list and they aren't marked as such in the listing. If I wanted to play audio files, I'd go back to the Music section. It's kind of a slight-of-hand because Zune isn't allowed to have a click wheel, and that makes scrolling a lot easier, so clicks-per-action would probably give iPod an unfair advantage because scrolling might not be counted.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Ballmer claims Microsoft won't lose money on Zune