or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Oprah and Bono to unveil Project red iPod nano tomorrow

Oprah and Bono to unveil Project red iPod nano tomorrow

post #1 of 60
Exclusive: Activist and rock singer Bono, with help from Oprah Winfrey and other celebrities, is partnering with Apple Computer on a red-colored iPod to promote his new charity aimed at battling AIDS, AppleInsider has learned.

Both the U2 frontman and the famed talk show host will publicly unveil the new "iPod nano Red" -- a 4GB version of Apple's second-generation iPod nano in a red anodized aluminum enclosure -- on national television this friday.

The two celebrities swung by Apple's North Michigan Ave. retail store in Chicago, Ill. on Thursday afternoon to film a promotional segment for the cause, which will air on tomorrow's edition of the "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

Apple, which has agreed to price the player inline with its existing 4GB iPod nano models at $199, will donate $10 from the sale of each unit to the PRODUCT RED charity.

Created by Bono and Bobby Shriver, Chairman of DATA, the charity aims to raise awareness and money for The Global Fund by teaming up with the world's most iconic brands to produce PRODUCT RED branded products.

Proceeds from the sale of each PRODUCT RED product are donated to The Global Fund, where it goes to help women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Rumors of a red-colored iPod first surfaced when a note in the Jan. 20, 2006 edition of the popular celebrity gossip newsletter stated that Bono was overheard at Dublin's Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud restaurant "discussing a new charity red AmEx card and red iPod."

Other companies that have so far stepped up with PRODUCT RED offerings include the Gap, American Express, Armani, Converse, and Motorola.

Artist rendition of PRODUCT RED iPod Nano (Click-Wheel may also be colored red). Thanks DeaPeaJay.

Update: The Chicago Tribune has posted a photo of Bono, Oprah and the rear of a few RED iPods. 6:00PM ET

Update: Added photo from Apple Store Fifth Ave. 6:15PM ET

Apple Store Fifth Ave. Apple Logo gone RED
post #2 of 60
On a friday!?! I'm not so sure...
post #3 of 60
It's just a red ipod? Lame.
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by akerman

Yeah, JUST donating to a charity...lame. You're an idiot
post #5 of 60
Quote:

what do expect? Apple releases cure for AIDS or something?
whoops somebody beat me to it!
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick18x

On a friday!?! I'm not so sure...

Seems odd to me too. Why announce on "take out the trash day"?
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

Because this isn't Apple's PR, this is Bono's PR. Apple PR day is Tuesday, Bono's PR day is any-day.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #8 of 60
Since this is not a typical Apple product introduction, but a special event for Bono and Oprah, Friday could be as good as any other day. Who knows, maybe Oprah gets her biggest audiences on a Friday, or Friday is the best because it sets up her audiences to go shopping over the weekend.

Update: T'hain Esh Kelch beat me to it by a minute!
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #9 of 60
my ipod was once covered in blood after a incedent with a deer and i must say... it looked pretty good. I might have to get one
post #10 of 60
Maybe "everyone in the audience today is getting, A NEW iPOD!!!!" (Audience goes wild)
post #11 of 60
here's a quick mockup

post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

here's a quick mockup

Looks kinda cool, maybe a little too "Christmas" though...with the whole white click wheel.
post #13 of 60
Quote:

here's a quick mockup

I bet you it will have black plastic instead of white.
post #14 of 60
How about this?!?!? I kind of like it

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter

Yeah, JUST donating to a charity...lame. You're an idiot

You sound so intelligent with your childish insults, I almost don't dare respond you.

All this fuzz over a red ipod. The least they could do would be a custom engraving with something relevant to the cause. Or change the color of the click wheel. Just a red ipod is so unoriginal, which is dissapointing coming from Apple.
post #16 of 60
Only $10?? Okay, so Apple's profit margin on the nano is, what, 50%? Let's say 40% just to be safe. That means that on a $199 iPod, Apple makes about 80 bucks. By donating $10, Apple is droping just 5% from that, down to 35%. That's lame, Apple; worse for a 50% profit margin.

For the humanitarian saint that Steve tries to show himself as, that's low. Assuming 50% profit margins, Apple could donate $50/iPod and still maintain a 25% profit margin. That's still higher than the industry standard... I think... isn't it 23% or something?

It bugs me when companies claim to be saintly and then make a gargantuan profit off of it.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

My trash is on thursdays.
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
-ReCompile-
"No matter where you go, There you are"
- Buckaroo Bonzai
post #18 of 60
Quote:

here's a quick mockup

WOW , god no.

it looks like its from target!!

i like the all red idea much better.
post #19 of 60
Quote:

You sound so intelligent with your childish insults, I almost don't dare respond you.

All this fuzz over a red ipod. The least they could do would be a custom engraving with something relevant to the cause. Or change the color of the click wheel. Just a red ipod is so unoriginal, which is dissapointing coming from Apple.

no one said they WEREN'T changing the color of the click wheel. They probably are. As was pointed out, it looks christmasy in white. I'm betting on a red click wheel, I think it looks good
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Because this isn't Apple's PR, this is Bono's PR. Apple PR day is Tuesday, Bono's PR day is any-day.

Sure, Bono can do what he wants. But making an announcement on friday gets the least amount of press - that's not an apple thing, that's a television/radio/newspaper thing. I'm just surprised they would pick that day of the week since it wouldn't maximize the press they'd get.

Quote:

So being "original" is more important than donating money to medical research? Nice to see you have your priorities straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five

It bugs me when companies claim to be saintly and then make a gargantuan profit off of it.

When exactly did apple "claim to be saintly"??
post #21 of 60
Quote:

Only $10?? Okay, so Apple's profit margin on the nano is, what, 50%? Let's say 40% just to be safe. That means that on a $199 iPod, Apple makes about 80 bucks. By donating $10, Apple is droping just 5% from that, down to 35%. That's lame, Apple; worse for a 50% profit margin.

For the humanitarian saint that Steve tries to show himself as, that's low. Assuming 50% profit margins, Apple could donate $50/iPod and still maintain a 25% profit margin. That's still higher than the industry standard... I think... isn't it 23% or something?

-Clive

Their PROFIT margin on the nano isn't anywhere near 50%. Their GROSS margins on the nano are estimated (by third parties that may or may not be correct) to be between 45 and 50%. There's a big difference between the two: gross margins don't include things like product development costs, marketing costs, shipping, or anythign else other than how much the parts of the iPod actually cost. As a company, Apple's overall profit margin is only about 10% over the last 12 months. So $10, actually, is a fairly hefty chunk of change.
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
"In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn a stately pleasure-dome decree."
post #22 of 60
Quote:

-Clive

WTF do you think apple just ships you a box of random parts that you've got to assemble yourself? Because that's all you quoting in your "Assuming 50% profit margins".

That said the only reason apple is able to donate as much as 10 bucks WITHOUT raising prices is because of their big profit margins(which are realistically around 30-25%) which are more than competitors.

I love the hypocracy though, apple does nothing all this time, no one says anything, apple does something and now its NOT ENOUGH.

It's like: "Oh you're not gonna donate to charity? That's cool, whatever charity is no big deal. WAIT you are? How much? 10bucks per unit? F**K you man, you friggin cheapskate, I'm gonna buy the competing RED mp3 player. There's none? Oh...well 10 bucks per unit is still bullshit, it's not like it cost more to make a red one. Oh, it does, paying for a die you wouldn't otherwise use does incur a cost, and shipping, and pomotion? ...Well 10 bucks per unit is still bullshit...asshole."

I hope it's a dark deep red instead of some bright red, I was thinking about getting a new nano so if it's nice looking I'll buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:

post #23 of 60
Quote:

You don't even know those things aren't true and you're already shitting all over it, classic.
Quote:

Quote:

post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsgwu

Maybe "everyone in the audience today is getting, A NEW iPOD!!!!" (Audience goes wild)

You KNOW that's EXACTLY how it's gonna go down.
Quote:

Quote:

post #25 of 60
$10??
one dose of HIV/AIDS drugs, maybe, if generic?
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #26 of 60
post #27 of 60
Quote:

But you did respond...lame.
post #28 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

$10??
one dose of HIV/AIDS drugs, maybe, if generic?

And apple sells millions of iPods. Yeah, millions of doses sure is weak.

Idiot.
post #29 of 60
Quote:

here's a quick mockup

Yeah, I'm Canadian, so I'm probably the only one here who noticed, but that looks more like a Canadian-theme iPod than anything else. Or is that just me, Ecking? Red click wheel would really make a difference (of course, then we could call it a Communist iPod...).

Seriously, though, this is a great idea. Good promo for Apple, and extra cash for AIDS research. AND we get a red nano. Enough of the pastel colours, already!
post #30 of 60
some of you are spoiling the positiviity of this potential act of good will by beetchin like old hags.

grow up. and for all of you complaining that apple might not be contributing enough to this ONE particular cause (out of many different charities that ask/receive), how much of YOUR earnings are you willing to give?

uh huh. that's what i thought.

sometimes i wonder if some of you are so genuinely marinated in bitterness, lack healthy productivity/attention elsewhere in your lives, or are simply whoring for post count rises.
post #31 of 60
PS - some of you guys really need to think before you post. It's been quite a while since I've seen this level of rudeness in one thread.

edit: whoops, deepkid beat me to it. At least I'm not the only one...
post #32 of 60
Cool, my mockup made it to the main article!
post #33 of 60
Well, look at the new potential market that could be created here. How big is Oprah's viewing audience? When Oprah pushes a book it goes through the roof,right? She tells a bunch of TV watchers to go and read a book and they do. Wait till she starts plugging this nano. She talks up this charity, and starts chattering about all the good stuff about the Nano. I wonder if it is a weak demographic for the nano. And this nano will give moms a reason to try out an apple product they hear about so much anyway ( I think that women watch this, I killed the TV off in our home a few years ago) and find out that they like it. Now they have a reason to buy those itunes cards in the supermarket checkout lines.

Let's check back in a month on this. I bet you won't be able to find one.

Oprah has spoken!
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801

Well, look at the new potential market that could be created here. How big is Oprah's viewing audience? When Oprah pushes a book it goes through the roof,right? She tells a bunch of TV watchers to go and read a book and they do. Wait till she starts plugging this nano. She talks up this charity, and starts chattering about all the good stuff about the Nano. I wonder if it is a weak demographic for the nano. And this nano will give moms a reason to try out an apple product they hear about so much anyway ( I think that women watch this, I killed the TV off in our home a few years ago) and find out that they like it. Now they have a reason to buy those itunes cards in the supermarket checkout lines.

Let's check back in a month on this. I bet you won't be able to find one.

Oprah has spoken!

Oh Oprah I <3 you , I seriously wish she would run for US president. The world would be 10x better I feel if she was in charge of the good old US of A, well at least shes helping to promote for a charity.
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
"Did your house just explode?"

"Its the most fun in the park, when your laughing in the dark."

"You better watch yourself, or the Crimson Clown will get you."
post #35 of 60
Quote:

For the humanitarian saint that Steve tries to show himself as...

Between the working conditions for Chinese labor, Apple's environmental record, and partnering with companies like Nike and McDonalds, I think it's been clear for a while that Jobs' "humanitarian saint" persona is more bark than bite.
post #36 of 60
Yes, I have to agree, my first impression of the RED iPod nano certainly looks like it came from Target, or would be sold exclusively at Target stores.

Perhaps a BLUE iPod nano with 3-4 "watchdog" security cameras will be introduced as an alternative Wal-Mart version? Or perhaps a YELLOW iPod nano (for yellow Wal-Mart smiley; NOT as a racist comment), with a charity fund to help Chinese labor camps, er Wal-Mart suppliers?

Ha!

Oh the irony of this post, due to both Wal-Mart and Target being upset over Apple's iTunes video sales. Not so bad to bash them back.

Support industrial hemp: Global Hemp Store
post #37 of 60
I don't think Jobs "gets it" when it comes to reducing packaging. Sure the cardboard boxes haved been reduced in size -- and this is great! However, in the case of iPod Shuffle, the cardboard packaging has been replaced with thick petroleum based plastic! The irony is that Al "Global Warming" Gore sits on the Apple board of directors! At least cardboard is more readily recyclable versus plastic that most community recyclers hardly want. An aluminum case would be expensive, buy would most likely get recylced or reused like "treasured" Crown Royal bags! If plastic must be used, I suggest polylacticacid (PLA) made from corn. Apple could certainly be a leader in the adoption of PLA. Even Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are "getting green" with PLA, etc.

Support industrial hemp: Global Hemp Store
post #38 of 60
Quote:

How about this?!?!? I kind of like it

That looks pretty damn sweet. Though I'd still be ok with it if it had a white scroll wheel, even as 'Canadian' as that might look (those dang Canadians, comin' here, takin' all our jobs, and speaking Canadian... lol).

I just hope it isn't red with a black scroll wheel, that would look bad. And kudos to Apple for donating some $$$ to charity. Steve ain't no saint, that's for sure, but cash is cash and it will help people, regardless. Heck, Gates is probably the most ethically-challenged SOB on the planet (aside from our current President), and no one sane cries about the billions his fund gives to charity, now do they? \

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
post #39 of 60
News just in! (I think your first mockup was right DeapeaJay, white on back = white on front)

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

News just in! (I think your first mockup was right DeapeaJay, white on back = white on front)

Ah, Bono and Oprah at the Apple Store... perhaps the two biggest icons of 'middle-aged cool', in the same place at the same time. It's enough to make a baby boomer swoon.

Kidding aside, it's a great bit of promotion for the iPod. Steve Ballmer is probably throwing chairs in response as we speak.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Oprah and Bono to unveil Project red iPod nano tomorrow