or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState

It is very hard to educate when the current US administration is hell bent on abstinence education only.

I called one of the American lines set up for teenagers. Here is how our conversation went:

ME: when is it okay to have sex?
THEM: when you are married.
ME: what if I can't get married?
THEM: everyone can get married.
ME: Im gay.
THEM: well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex.

Wow. You're serious, that was a real phone call?

Man that is wierd. Like, I could understand if they were recommending marriage before sex, that kind of makes sense as a public policy, because it's good for the society. Still though, you'd think they would be willing to provide some information and counseling for people who are going to be having sex. Or at the very least say "sorry we don't have information available to help you, please contact such and such organization". But "well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex."! that's like something from a comedy sketch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState

Yes because the common cold is so easy to solve, none of us has ever had it </sarcasm>

huh? What I wrote was clearly saying that the common cold was virtually impossible to eradicate because it is transmitted so easily. How did you miss that?
post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by daBoss

A great idea and a great looking product. Of course, Apple will NOT be selling these through their dealer network. So sad as not every city/county/country has Apple stores

Well, between the online and retail Apple Stores, it should be okay.

I am a little bummed I can't get it through Amazon though.

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_gonzo

True.

It's just the smugness of people like Jobs and Bono that really pissess me off. Bono especially acts like he's Jesus Christ or something with his false humbleness.

Imagine that! A Christian acting like Jesus Christ! What will they think of next?

How many billionaires, rock stars or ordinary people devote as much of themselves to alleviating poverty and suffering?

The world would be a better place if more people followed Bono's example, or Bono's example's example.
post #44 of 86
just yesterday when someone did a moc up of this i said no way they wouldn't release it with a white scroll wheel because it looks too much like the target symbo, boom they go and do it.


i think it looks like a freaking target product, they should have kept the wheel red or even done it black.
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Wow. You're serious, that was a real phone call?

Man that is wierd. Like, I could understand if they were recommending marriage before sex, that kind of makes sense as a public policy, because it's good for the society. Still though, you'd think they would be willing to provide some information and counseling for people who are going to be having sex. Or at the very least say "sorry we don't have information available to help you, please contact such and such organization". But "well then you need to marry a woman or never have sex."! that's like something from a comedy sketch!

Yep, sadly that is a real phone call. I should have recorded it. While I am an adult it makes me mad that that is the answer they gave thinking I was a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

huh? What I wrote was clearly saying that the common cold was virtually impossible to eradicate because it is transmitted so easily. How did you miss that?

Somehow I missed that, sorry guess we are on the same page there
post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder

Personally, I think you should be donating 5% of your income to charity. Are you?

Personally, I think some people should spend less time beating down others opinions and more time learning how to think before hitting return.

Apple is a company, not one single person. They could afford to take a hit. It's not like they're operating under a blue tarp attached to 4 poles.
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinnipeg

Personally, I think some people should spend less time beating down others opinions and more time learning how to think before hitting return.

Apple is a company, not one single person. They could afford to take a hit. It's not like they're operating under a blue tarp attached to 4 poles.

I'm not singling you out, but the average American can afford to help people out far more than they really do. We waste so much money on ourselves (myself included). If we would just stop being so self centered and stop blaming other people for not helping out, and actually helping out ourselves! the world would be a better place.

We need to start taking personal responsibility to give of ourselves and our money instead of asking others to do it for us. That's so hypocritical
post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

You clearly have no concept of what $10 can do for an African family.

Actually, the 10 bucks goes to the charitable foundation. The charitable foundation pays lots of staff, pays for advertising and then pays for it's services, usually via a 3rd party, which in turn pays their staff, usually makes a profit and then delivers aid in the form of food (more profit taken by the supplier/producers), medicine (ditto) or skilled workers/teachers (ditto again; at the Nepalese branch of CARE, western consultants are flown out business class and stay at the best hotel in Kathmandu. They're also paid about $100 US per hour, 24 hours/day while they're there.).

In the end the 10 bucks could be turned into maybe fifty cents or a dollar when it hits the target population (i'm estimating if there are 3 tiers and at each tier 60% is "skimmed" by expenses). A friend of mine recently quit working at United Way in Canada when he found out that only about 30% of money that enters United Way leaves it. He now works for Amnesty which has a closer to 50% figure. And again, that money is on to contractors and other charities which in turn "filter" the donations. Charities and NGOs are an industry, albeit one with a good cause, but also unfortunately they are also very much multi-tiered.

While i'm in no means saying it's not good to contribute to charity (everyone should give as much as they can, and maybe think twice when buying your 3rd iPod), it would be great if there was some sort of international media watchdog that publicizes how much money actually goes directly to who it's "targeted" towards, as there can be wildly varying levels, and greater transparency could let us know if, for example, Bono's charity foots the bill for his travel expenses to meet with oprah at an iPod launch.
post #49 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass

...greater transparency could let us know if, for example, Bono's charity foots the bill for his travel expenses to meet with oprah at an iPod launch.

Um, yeah. Because multimillionaire Bono's in it for the airfare. Riiiiight.

Guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Um, yeah. Because multimillionaire Bono's in it for the airfare. Riiiiight.

Guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

.

Well, a first class flight ticket, plus limousines, personal security and probably a pretty damn expensive hotel room and you've got $10-15000. While that might be chump change to a moron, I think rich people like write-offs and free shit as much as the next person. Do you think all rock stars light their cigars with hundred dollar bills? It's pretty standard for executives (and really all workers) to get their airfare and other business travel expenses covered by the company (or foundation). Even if they are "multimillionaires".

Other than that, I didn't imply that Bono's "in it for the airfare", just that part of the $10 donation is going towards that. Try reading before replying.
post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Um, yeah. Because multimillionaire Bono's in it for the airfare. Riiiiight.

Guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

.

Sorry, that came off as harsher than I intended, and you do raise some good points.

Its just that we walk a fine line here, between wanting to do good and becoming so cynical about doing good that we shrug and go "Why bother?".

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass

Well, a $5000 first class flight ticket, plus the fact that's not a business expense (so he maybe pays 70% percent from income tax), plus limousines and probably a pretty damn expensive hotel room and you've got $10-15000. While that might be chump change to a moron, I think rich people like write-offs and free shit as much as the next person. Do you think all rock stars light their cigars with hundred dollar bills? It's pretty standard for executives (and really all workers) to get their airfare and other business travel expenses covered by the company (or foundation). Even if they are "multimillionaires".

Well, that's um... an interesting display of theoretical assumptive cynicism. Bravo. \

If I was Bono reading this, I'd go "Wankers. Why do I bother?".

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #53 of 86
Yah, enough with the Bono flaming. He helps out others in need and he gets flamed for it. I think that's lowly and sick.
post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins

Sorry, that came off as harsher than I intended, and you do raise some good points.

Its just that we walk a fine line here, between wanting to do good and becoming so cynical about doing good that we shrug and go "Why bother?".

.

Sorry for the response. I agree on becoming cynical, and I'm not trying to impart a "why bother?" attitude, just that in a big PR deal like Bono and Oprah and Apple getting together to make iPod buyers contribute to civilisation, they're not actually contributing all that much other than raising their consumer profile. Just look at Bono meeting with world leaders every 2nd week to talk about all the world's problems - is George Bush going to ban guns in america or allow generic aids drugs because he's talked with Bono? Does Bono think so? Is this a good deed by Bono or self promotion?

Buying an iPod isn't making people care more, give more of their time, or donate their money. They're buying an iPod. If anything, it eases peoples' conscience in a totally passive way, and possibly prevents them from doing something meaningful because they've "done their part" by purchasing a new piece of plastic. I'd prefer if Bono and Oprah would encourage people to participate more actively than "buy iPod for the same price, feel good about myself and my allegiance to friendly apple and friendly bono and oprah." Using hyper consumerism to help people in need seems to me both dangerous and the easy way out of caring.

Speaking of which, check out www.doctorswithoutborders.org and www.care.org for many ways you can help without buying plastic toys.
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass

...A friend of mine recently quit working at United Way in Canada when he found out that only about 30% of money that enters United Way leaves it. He now works for Amnesty which has a closer to 50% figure.

I was also disappointed to find out that the same thing is true of the American Red Cross.
The Salvation Army does a much better job of keeping it's overhead low and getting more of the money to the people that need it.
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Because the drug manufacturers don't have enough money to fund this kind of research.</sarcasm>

If ANY industry should be expected to donate it is the pharmaceutical industry.

Yeah, and Africa is such a great place to conduct un-monitored drug trials. Corrupt governments, militia gangs and millions of sick, starving people. This (product) RED thing is fantastic in concept but a little poor in how it's been thought through.

Don't get me wrong here; assisting Africa to stop the horrible suffering of her people is something that we must do , if we don't it will be to this generations eternal shame that we did nothing even though we could. It's just figuring out the best thing to do is the incredibly difficult part. Throwing money at the symptoms hasn't worked in the past - in fact a lack of well funded organisations is not the problem - there is enough money and now there seems to be enough will to change things... But that will iis external to Africa, the change has to come from within and at the highest levels - that will is not yet powerful enough to drive real change.

This whole campaign isn't really about money at all, it's about increasing awareness. How many people know that 1 person every 3 seconds dies in Africa? Well, it's true. Research it if you don't believe me.
-----------------------------------------
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat!
-----------------------------------------
Reply
-----------------------------------------
In faecorum semper solum profundum variat!
-----------------------------------------
Reply
post #57 of 86
Quote:
Apple is a company, not one single person. They could afford to take a hit. It's not like they're operating under a blue tarp attached to 4 poles.

Saw an interview with Bono. He said he said (RED) is not a charity. They've planned it to be a sustainable business model. He does not want companies to sacrifice profit. He wants more companies to sign on with (RED) products and the only way they will is if (RED) is a successful business that's profitable for its members.

No Apple cannot take a hit. You don't understand the stock market do you.
post #58 of 86
Quote:
Yeah, and Africa is such a great place to conduct un-monitored drug trials. Corrupt governments, militia gangs and millions of sick, starving people. This (product) RED thing is fantastic in concept but a little poor in how it's been thought through.

(RED) cannot solve all of Africa's problems and its not trying to. If it even helps a little bit that's more than what's been done in the past.
post #59 of 86
I'm shocked no one has brought up that this RED is hellofa much much much much much better color than that bloody brown-with-icky-green-edge SquirtingZunePune.

ZUNE = FRACKING P*OWND BIATCHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!1111one!!11oene!!!!

*yes, yes, I know, Zune plays videos and stuff. But it just shows the color sensibility that is innate to Apple while Microsoft struggles with brown Zunes and such.
post #60 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Yah, enough with the Bono flaming. He helps out others in need and he gets flamed for it. I think that's lowly and sick.

Agreed. But some folks will always see the cup half empty, rather than half full. \

.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #61 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinnipeg

personally, I think apple should be donating money from ALL iPod sales.

ie: $5 for 2GB, $10 for 4GB, and $20 from 8GB.


sure because they really need the positive PR right? Besides its not like their a business or anything...
post #62 of 86
I just got one at the Tampa FL Apple Store! The 1st one sold there!

Pix:


post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzign

you can order it online and have it delivered to your doorstep

Good move !

You're missing the point. Dealers are an integral part of Apple's channel and YOUR community. Cutting off dealers for the greater good of Apple Inc. is not a good thing.
Signed with an X.
Reply
Signed with an X.
Reply
post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

I'm shocked no one has brought up that this RED is hellofa much much much much much better color than that bloody brown-with-icky-green-edge SquirtingZunePune.

ZUNE = FRACKING P*OWND BIATCHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!1111one!!11oene!!!!

*yes, yes, I know, Zune plays videos and stuff. But it just shows the color sensibility that is innate to Apple while Microsoft struggles with brown Zunes and such.

I think it would be cool if MS joined the RED campaign too. maybe red with white or black doubleshot?
post #65 of 86
No the (RED) zune needs so be some kinda red and brown swirl like diarrhea or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #66 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking

No the (RED) zune needs so be some kinda red and brown swirl like diarrhea or something.

That sounds like hemorrhaging diarrhea to me.
post #67 of 86
I don't know about you, but a Meleena special edition Zune doesn't sound that enticing...

David
_ ________________________ _

I have no signature - Doh!
Reply
_ ________________________ _

I have no signature - Doh!
Reply
post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO

I just got one at the Tampa FL Apple Store! The 1st one sold there!
Pix: ....etc.....

Good one, thanks for the post 8). You know it's a fu*king good colour when it shows up well online, in packaging shots, and when snapped with various digital cameras. One word: Bitchin'. Oh, and charity and stuff. But that's a friggin' good colour to add to their range. Second word(s): Oct-Dec 2006: Best quarter ever with highest sales of Macs and iPods ever, highest revenues and profits ever. Share price: around $80 though as people wait for what the NEXT BIG APPLE THING IS from 2007 through to the end of the decade as initiated at MacWorld 2007. If it sounds good, then $90 AAPL by middle of 2007.

Just some predictions and stuff. But that Red looks mighty might tempting. I got the cash, it's kind of for emergencies and stuff, but we'll see Especially in a few weeks, if all goes well, my parents' property in Brisbane transactions go through and we get the proceeds of the sale with no hassle (yes I'm pretty much a trust fund kinda kid )
post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

That sounds like hemorrhaging diarrhea to me.

Yes, appropriate for the product[Red] Zune - you know, highlighting the suffering in Africa and stuff. Sadly, lots of haemorrhaeging diaorrhea going on, and the Zune will reflect this. Also the squirting of various bodily fluids out of the wrong places as your organs fail and your immunity gets fuX00red. I can't wait about what Steve Ballmer will say: "With this new Red Zune we'll be touching Africans in ways they've never been touched before" (he forgot the "touching African [lives]"). And also "People in developed nations... they'll be squirting messages and videos of dying victims at each other, you know, to be stronger and stuff and donate more stuff and maybe donate Microsoft Windows PCs to Africans..."

'Coz what's worse than dying of AIDS? Using Windows It will distract them from the real pain of above mentioned organ failure and dying and stuff...
post #70 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Because the drug manufacturers don't have enough money to fund this kind of research.</sarcasm>

If ANY industry should be expected to donate it is the pharmaceutical industry.

You have absolutely no idea how the pharmaceutical industry works. They do not make the profit people with no knowledge claim. Americans pay more for medicines than any other country. Why? Because if the industry raises the prices on other countries they will not respect the patents and under sell them.

So lets review the pharmaceutical industry has to continually R&D new and better medicine.
They patent it in the US and other countries.
They sell it to other countries at break even or at a loss point hoping they do not screwed by those countries.
Americans pick up the tab.
So NO they dont have the BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars to just throw into R&D like you seem to think. They are a freaking business, jesus, get off your holier than thou soap box and FREAKING RESEARCH your point before you look like and IDIOT.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
post #71 of 86
Quote:
So I followed the joinred link from Apple's web site. The manifesto specifically says that the money will be used for anti-retroviral medicine for those suffering in Africa (though I know they're just picking one of the things the money is used for).

Still, to me this seems like an incredible misuse of the money. As I stated before, giving AIDS medicine to Africans is a wonderful charity, as long as there isn't something better to spend it on. In this case, it would be so much more effective to spend the money on education and economic development. Anti-retroviral drugs don't do ANYTHING to stop the spread of the disease, and in some cases increase the spread of the disease by increasing the amount of time it may be transmitted to another person (though I'm sure most people who know they're diagnosed with HIV try to be really careful, on balance, retroviral drugs can only increase the spread on the disease).

I'm all for helping people suffering, but wouldn't it help so many more future innocents avoid suffering if we focused on something to actually stop the disease?

If you think about it perversely, donating this money actually increases suffering, because every dollar you donate to antiretroviral medicine is a dollar you didn't spend on education or economic development.

I agree completely. In fact, the best use of money would be to support FAMILY PLANNING. And also education. Family planning is merely a form of education anyhow. Great and insightful post. Still, I think this thing looks bitchin'. But now I'm not sure whether to wait for the iPhone/"Real" Video iPod. My original 5 gig one died recently with a Sad Mac. Maybe I'll have to try hitting it like I've heard, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's taken a beating and it's time to get a replacement.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Still, to me this seems like an incredible misuse of the money. As I stated before, giving AIDS medicine to Africans is a wonderful charity, as long as there isn't something better to spend it on. In this case, it would be so much more effective to spend the money on education and economic development. Anti-retroviral drugs don't do ANYTHING to stop the spread of the disease, and in some cases increase the spread of the disease by increasing the amount of time it may be transmitted to another person (though I'm sure most people who know they're diagnosed with HIV try to be really careful, on balance, retroviral drugs can only increase the spread on the disease).

I'm all for helping people suffering, but wouldn't it help so many more future innocents avoid suffering if we focused on something to actually stop the disease?

If you think about it perversely, donating this money actually increases suffering, because every dollar you donate to antiretroviral medicine is a dollar you didn't spend on education or economic development.

This is my very first post on this forum. I've been following AI for a time now and i had to react to this misinformation by bdj.
The spread of HIV:AIDS is not in any way rising due to anti-retroviral drugs. People who take does drugs have a low viral load, even sometimes unmeasurebly low. This means that the risk of infecting other people is low. This is best evidenced that nowadays vertical transmission (that is mother to child) is lower than 2 % when the mother is adequately taking medication and a ceasarian is performed. What bdj is implying in a way is that all HIV-AIDS patients are sentenced with the death penalty. First of all: there is a big difference between HIV-infected people and people with AIDS. A lot of HIV-infected people are symptomless and do not need treatment (that is the viral load, thus the amount of viruses in the blood, is low enough to grant no treatment). AIDS people need medication otherwise they die of cancers or opportunistic infections.
HIV infection is more a life sentence than a death penalty nowadays. treatment with retro-viral drugs is increasing life quality and diminishing the risk of infection!

Ignorance is a crime
post #73 of 86
double post.
post #74 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8

You have absolutely no idea how the pharmaceutical industry works. They do not make the profit people with no knowledge claim. Americans pay more for medicines than any other country. Why? Because if the industry raises the prices on other countries they will not respect the patents and under sell them.

So lets review the pharmaceutical industry has to continually R&D new and better medicine.
They patent it in the US and other countries.
They sell it to other countries at break even or at a loss point hoping they do not screwed by those countries.
Americans pick up the tab.
.

So only Americans pay real prices for medication ???????????????
Let me remind you that worldbank imf and wto make third world countries sign treaties wherein patents are lengthened !!!! if they don't sign they don't get money!
Most patents are long enough to pay for R&D, most pharmaceutical companies are very profitable. ((most risk is taking by small companies doing the real cutting edge investigating, most of them spinoffs of governmental funded university research labs)
Most new drugs brought out buy big pharm companies are very similar to already known drugs and deal with diseases like erectile disfunction, ...

do your own research!
post #75 of 86
Although this (product)RED thing is possibly a step in the right direction. I can't help thinking that every company involved is doing it just to absolve themselves in the eyes of the consumer. Or worse, just as a marketing ploy - rather than for any moral reasons. It seems fairly tokenistic.

True, the overall donation from Apple may well amount to something quite significant, but I'm sure they could more than easily afford to give more than a bit of a pathetic $10.

Surely the world's market leader in digital music players should be donating at least half of its profit from just one of its range of 9 devices which in total generate 25% of its turnover.



Andrew
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidThing

Surely the world's market leader in digital music players should be donating at least half of its profit from just one of its range of 9 devices which in total generate 25% of its turnover.

Er, what? How do you know these profit numbers?

You aren't by any chance confusing gross margin and net margin, are you?
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidThing

Surely the world's market leader in digital music players should be donating at least half of its profit from just one of its range of 9 devices which in total generate 25% of its turnover.

Is that pie chart going to be a badge proving your own ignorance?

$10 IS half the profit for Apple's $200 nano. Apple's net profit margin is about 10%, not 50% or 60%. There's a lot more to the cost of running a business than "manufacturing". Please do yourself a favor and never start a business because you will fail miserably.
post #78 of 86
I admit I'm not especially great on economics and business, but according to iSuppli the original Nano cost around $92 in parts and labour, and the new Nano costs around $72 in parts and labour, buying direct from Apple the cost of distribution can't be that significant.

I checked around the internet and iSuppli seem to be a trusted source, but my business knowledge may be pretty flawed. If $10 really is 50% of Apple's profit on a Nano then I'll let them off and apologise for the dodgy calculations.

Andrew
post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-maze

So only Americans pay real prices for medication ???????????????
Let me remind you that worldbank imf and wto make third world countries sign treaties wherein patents are lengthened !!!! if they don't sign they don't get money!
Most patents are long enough to pay for R&D, most pharmaceutical companies are very profitable. ((most risk is taking by small companies doing the real cutting edge investigating, most of them spinoffs of governmental funded university research labs)
Most new drugs brought out buy big pharm companies are very similar to already known drugs and deal with diseases like erectile disfunction, ...

do your own research!

Brother you have no idea what your talking about.

Example:

Canada charges less money for the same medicine you and I both receive and any drug store. Why because they have held drug companies hostage. Sell us the drugs for less money or we will produce the drugs ourselves. Search it! Learn it! Then understand how it really works.

Americans pay the vast majority of R&D for drugs. FACT!

The reason that big pharm companies are very similar to already known drugs and deal with diseases like erectile disfunction, ... is to turn a profit for products that do not require billions in R&D.

People seem to think that Drug Companies are greedy and that they should not make a profit at ALL! How insane can you be. THEY ARE BUISNESS!!!!!!
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. - GC
Reply
post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidThing

I admit I'm not especially great on economics and business, but according to iSuppli the original Nano cost around $92 in parts and labour, and the new Nano costs around $72 in parts and labour, buying direct from Apple the cost of distribution can't be that significant.

I checked around the internet and iSuppli seem to be a trusted source, but my business knowledge may be pretty flawed. If $10 really is 50% of Apple's profit on a Nano then I'll let them off and apologise for the dodgy calculations.

What about R&D? Localization? Support?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple unveils iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition