or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › usb cam on ichat

usb cam on ichat

post #1 of 13
anyone know how to get a generic (dynex) webcam to work with ichat? it says cam not connected but I use macam and it shows the video so I know its working.

thanks for any help.
post #2 of 13
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/
post #3 of 13
i tried that earlier this evening but the only thing i can get it to show me is the screen shot. i also tried macam which shows that it works but will not allow it to work with ichat.

anyone reccomend a cheap webcam that will work?
post #4 of 13
Did you install Macam's QuickTime component?
post #5 of 13
i thought i did.... maybe not tho... do you mean copying the folder to quicktime, because i didnt do that... but i will now.
post #6 of 13
i just tried copying it to the directory and still nothing. any suggestions?
post #7 of 13
Where did you copy to?
post #8 of 13
the user/library/quicktime..... thats all it said to do and i didnt have other folders in there. is there another folder?
post #9 of 13
are there any revelations on this topic? I want to get my gf a webcam for her laptop - I have an iMac with the isight camera....can I get her anything that would work?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap

are there any revelations on this topic? I want to get my gf a webcam for her laptop - I have an iMac with the isight camera....can I get her anything that would work?

Well what kind of computer does she have?
post #11 of 13
Dell...about 2 years old...? Windows XP, USB - isn't that all that matters?

Edit:
Oh yeah - I guess you wanted to know if it was mac/PC, huh? haha, oops
post #12 of 13
Yeah. Well, anyone webcam will work, really. The easiest way to get cross-platform video chat going is Skype.
post #13 of 13
Skype's video quality sucks. For a good video chat, I recommend using Yahoo Messenger 3 BETA for video (it doesn't support audio yet) and running Skype for audio chat.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Software
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Software › usb cam on ichat