or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 24" iMac: How do I just turn the screen off?

24" iMac: How do I just turn the screen off?

post #1 of 30
Got my 24" iMac and I LOVE it - first Mac for me!
As the title says. On my PC I am used to being able to just push a button and the screen goes off but nothing else. How do I do this in a simple way on my new iMac?

Thanks!
post #2 of 30
either use the menu (apple) and select sleep, or in the back of the iMac, push the button and it will sleep.

great choice on a new computer, you'll love it. Bootcamp and install windows and couple of games, you'll love it even more.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #3 of 30
I don't think he wants it to SLEEP ... just for the backlight to turn off.

You can set a Hot Corner to start the screen saver, but I can't see that Screen Saver gives you the option of just turning the backlight off.

Under "Energy Saver" you can program the display (only) to sleep after a given period of inactivity... but I don't see that you can asign a button to do that on command.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #4 of 30
Right now I have energy saver turn off the screen after 60 seconds.. Not exactly what I was lookin for tho...
post #5 of 30
Try hitting the internet to see if someone has built a utility that does it. Obviously, the energy saver feature can turn off the display only, so there's clearly a way to do it. If you're interested, you could try your hand at developing a script to do it yourself. Since all it would do is invoke the energy saver feature, it would probably be a one-line Applescript. Once you're done, bind it to an F-key.
Cat: the other white meat
post #6 of 30
That's kinda messed up. That kind of stuff discourages me about Apple products. The simplest, dumbest, most obvious thing is glossed over in favor of aesthetics. The simple addition of a damn off button would have made so much more sense.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 30
You also could go to display preferences and turn the brightness all the way down. But why do you want to do that? Why not just either put it to sleep, or have a screen saver kick on?
post #8 of 30
I'm an analog guy. Put a button or knob on it. Insisting on all mouse or keyboard input is idiotic.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell

You also could go to display preferences and turn the brightness all the way down. But why do you want to do that? Why not just either put it to sleep, or have a screen saver kick on?

If you have some process running and you want the screen off? Does it get any simpler?
post #10 of 30
If you turn the brightness all the way down it does not black out the screen - I use the computer on the darkest setting - this thing is BRIGHT!
post #11 of 30
Quote:
If you turn the brightness all the way down it does not black out the screen - I use the computer on the darkest setting - this thing is BRIGHT!

Just turn it down to zero brightness i.e. off.!
post #12 of 30
That doesnt work on the iMac - I have said that a few times...
post #13 of 30
i have my computers energy saver set to dim the screen after 3 minutes. i just walk away. let the computer do the work, who needs to push a button? It just works.
post #14 of 30
Maybe if you wore thick sunglasses while you sat at the computer...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 30
Here is the script to turn the brightness all the way off

Code:

tell application "System Events"
tell application "System Preferences" to reveal anchor "displaysDisplayTab" of pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
tell process "System Preferences"
set value of slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to 0
end tell
end tell

Another script to set it back to 1 or whatever value you want would be just change the "0" value to the value you want.

Put both scripts in the script menu.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #16 of 30
First mac - I dont know how to use scripts
post #17 of 30
Quote:
That doesnt work on the iMac - I have said that a few times...

sorry mate I'm in shock with this news - have never used an IMac myself. I'm amazed!
Quote:

How about a blank screen saver, which you could configure to be triggered by a hot corner on your screen..? Then your Energy settings switch things off properly in a minute.

Blank Screen Saver -> http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14051
post #18 of 30
Thatll work well enough I suppose - thanks
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper

OK - first, you'll need to install something that lets you run an application from the keyboard - because once you dim the screen to zero, you won't be able to find and click the second script to turn the brightness back on.

OR - you could change the "0" in the script to something like 0.25 so it would dim it by 75% and you could probably still see it to change it back.

Next, click the link below to put the script into Script Editor on your Mac

CLICK HERE to automatically place this script into Script Editor.

Next, switch to Script Editor by clicking its icon in the Dock. Change the "0" in the script to something safe like 0.40 and save the script onto your Desktop. Choose "Save As..." from the Script Editor File menu, give it a name like "Dim Screen", choose "Application" from the pulldown menu in the Save As box, and click OK.

Now go back to Script Editor and change the 0.40 to whatever you want the normal screen brightness to be - say 0.78. Save with a different name like "Brighten Screen."

Look on Versiontracker.com for some utilities that let you launch apps from a keystroke. Then choose a couple of keystrokes, one for dimming and one for un-dimming, and assign them to these 2 scripts.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

If you have some process running and you want the screen off? Does it get any simpler?

Sure, I understand why you'd want to do it. I have my iMac set to do exactly that, because it serves up my music to two other Macs in the house. But I just set mine so it doesn't sleep, but the screen saver turns on and then the screen shuts down after 15 minutes.
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

That's kinda messed up. That kind of stuff discourages me about Apple products. The simplest, dumbest, most obvious thing is glossed over in favor of aesthetics. The simple addition of a damn off button would have made so much more sense.

None of the PC laptops I've ever had have had monitor-off buttons. I've never had a PC all-in-one so I can't speak for those. The displays on my PowerBook G4's could be turned off by using the contrast control on the keyboard. All the way down = all the way off. Maybe the works on the iMac.
post #22 of 30
you could choose a screensaver option that is just a black screen. then set one of the corners (or one of the function keys) to be the screen saver and then either drag the mouse to that corner and TADA or push the function key and TADA
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu

you could choose a screensaver option that is just a black screen. then set one of the corners (or one of the function keys) to be the screen saver and then either drag the mouse to that corner and TADA or push the function key and TADA

That would leave the backlight on. On top of logging more hours of use and consuming more electricity, it traps all of the light (heat) inside the computer.
post #24 of 30
Blah might have to try out that scripting idea....
post #25 of 30
Some of you guys must be looking at pron and want to be able to hit a button when the wife walks into the room, eh?

I use a Cinema Display which has an on/off button. I've rarely ever used it, unless I need to disconnect the display from the computer for some reason. Energy Saver turns it off automatically for me. I don't understand the problem.
post #26 of 30
The problem is if the computer is in your bedroom and you want to leave it on when you go to bed - not let it sleep - like to keep yourself on a messenger service etc.
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper

The problem is if the computer is in your bedroom and you want to leave it on when you go to bed - not let it sleep - like to keep yourself on a messenger service etc.

Then set your Energy Saver so that the computer never sleeps but the display sleeps pretty soon. Would that not work for what you have in mind?
post #28 of 30
There's a couple of scripts available over on www.macosxhints.com Do a search for "display sleep".
post #29 of 30
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...isplay%2Bsleep

Yep. This script works fine with some keystroke launcher like Butler or QuicKeys. The Darwin "pmset" command can set the display sleep to the same values that the Energy Saver preference pane does, so using "pmset" is much cleaner. Replace the "45" with "0" if you want the display to "never sleep" once you set it back from "0".
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #30 of 30

I also needed to do this when loading B&W film while listening to music. Turning the brightness down is not enough.

Just go system preferences > screen saver and hit the "hot corners" button on the bottom left.

Select "put display to sleep" for one of the corners, and when you want to switch it off, drag the mouse down to that corner.

Push the mouse or hit any key to turn the screen back on.

Viola!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 24" iMac: How do I just turn the screen off?