or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sleazy Tactics

Sleazy Tactics

post #1 of 11
California Hispanics are encouraged to not vote. Many S. Cali hispanics received a written letter, in broken spanish, stating that it is illegal for an immigrant to vote, and threatens deportation or jail time. The writers failed to point out that immigrants who've gone through the process can vote, and infact some legal hispanics did receive the threatening letter. The article mentions at the end that this may spurn legal immigrants to get out and vote in defiance.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak

The article mentions at the end that this may spurn legal immigrants to get out and vote in defiance.

Quite possible that was the point.

Can non-citizens vote in California?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #3 of 11
Classic rove.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas

Quite possible that was the point.

Can non-citizens vote in California?

No, and no.

Non-citizens cannot vote, and voter suppression tactics such as this have been Republican SOP for many years now, so if you're imagining that this is some kind of double reverse intended to rile up the immigrant vote, highly unlikely.

The Republicans understand that a lot of potential Democratic voters are marginalized by race or class, and that such people can be intimidated by "anonymous" mailers, flyers and robo-calls claiming that voting will trigger some kind of legal reprisal, or that voting involves dealing with hostile bureaucracies, or that if they've ever made any mistakes trying to vote will bring unwanted attention from the police. Really, it happens every election. That and things like limiting the number of voting machines in poor and black neighborhoods can make the difference in a tight election.

But, of course, in the last election Democratic operatives were "offering crack to negroes to get them to vote", so it all balances out.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #5 of 11
I don't understand this one.

I don't know a lot about the US electoral math, but I've always thought of most of California as solid Democratic territory.
Where in California are the Repubs competitive enough to care about this?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #6 of 11
The entire country is purple... some bluish purple some reddish purple... this is why the Republicans can loose both houses of congress even though the democrats are "so weak and wishy-washy".
post #7 of 11
BTW, evidently there are calls for the candidate who pushed these flyers out to drop out of the race...

The calculus doesn't work though... If this story has any traction (and I don't believe it does because hispanics are our irish, nay, japanese du jour) the entire republican party is besmirched by the actions of someone who was going to lose anyway...
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

I don't know a lot about the US electoral math, but I've always thought of most of California as solid Democratic territory.

The central valley is R. Farmers, ranchers and their neighbors.

Generally, the big cities lean D, just like the rest of the country. Red vs. blue is really rural/suburban vs. city.

One of the interesting trends is that due to the high coest of housing in the bay area and other places, people are moving farther out of the cities, computing likenuts to work, but at the same time increasing the numbers of D's in R territory.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

No, and no.

Non-citizens cannot vote, and voter suppression tactics such as this have been Republican SOP for many years now

But non-citizens are very much allowed to pay their taxes. Whatever happened to "no taxation without representation"?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

Dude. Orange-fucking-County is as red as it gets.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #11 of 11
According to this article by cbs, the letters originated from Tan Nguyen's office. Nguyen is a republican congressional candidate in south cali; and a legal immigrant. Nguyen's spokesman claims the misunderstanding began when the media mistranslated 'emigrado' from spanish to english. His spokesman claims the word specifically means a legal immigrant, while the article contends that it has no specific legal meaning. Babel.altavista.com looks like it chokes on it: e'migre'.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Sleazy Tactics