or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro - Page 2

post #41 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSuperiority

They were waiting for CPU supply to build up. There was no delay. No other manufacturer is shipping 2.16 & 2.33 C2D notebooks right now AFAIK.

My dad's wife has a C2D Dell laptop she got last week, but I think it's probably the 2.0 Ghz version. It has an ultra shitty screen though (HORRIBLE viewing angle) and is of course big (1.75 inches thick) and bulky. She needs to run windows for her buisness, but I've almost got her convinced to get a MBP and run windows through bootcamp.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #42 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

Some people were hoping for a case re-design to bring it inline with the MacBook. I think a case re-design will come with Santa Rosa next year.

i've been pretty happy with the powerbook/macbook designs, and, like the mac pros, not sure they should fix what isn't already broken (though i would have liked to see them round off the edges of the top handles just a bit on the mac pros... those who have had to carry them around offices without the use of gloves know what i am talking about... anyway, that's a different thread, i guess). plus, most of the stuff i have in my office now is of the silver and/or black variety, so it'll look nice amidst all my other techno-jumble.

lots of people love the macbook design. yet i can't stand it. yeah, the pixel density is higher, so you get more screen real estate on a technicality, but i swear to god, the extra-wide screen really makes the overall viewable area seem cramped proportionally. maybe if more apps took a fresh look at their interfaces to make them use a 16:9 ratio screen more creatively when its available, i wouldn't notice as much. or if i worked more on video or landscape stuff, i'd like them more. i dunno. maybe i'm just a 4:3 guy.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #43 of 375
2gb ram, double layer....!!

i might have to consider upgrading pretty damn soon!!
post #44 of 375
I am VERY excited about this. It's just about everything I wanted.

I did NOT want a case redesign so I'm set there. I did want Merom and a larger HDD and 1Gb standard RAM. Those were the big 3 for me.

The only things missing in my book are the FlashBoot HHD's (not a typo) with the huge flash buffers and the higher rez screens. Both of those I can live without though. At least until next year.

Time to call the credit company and tell them to authorize my purchase...
"Knowledge is no more measured by post count than the size of the universe is governed by the stars within it."
"Knowledge is no more measured by post count than the size of the universe is governed by the stars within it."
post #45 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok

lots of people love the macbook design. yet i can't stand it. yeah, the pixel density is higher, so you get more screen real estate on a technicality, but i swear to god, the extra-wide screen really makes the overall viewable area seem cramped proportionally. maybe if more apps took a fresh look at their interfaces to make them use a 16:9 ratio screen more creatively when its available, i wouldn't notice as much. or if i worked more on video or landscape stuff, i'd like them more. i dunno. maybe i'm just a 4:3 guy.

Huh? The MacBook has the same ratio screen as the MacBook Pros: 16:10.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #46 of 375
I was also expecting magnetic latch, possibly Macbook keyboard (but I like the powerbook one anyway), easier swapping of Ram and HD and a 12" version. Higher resolution displays wouldn't go amiss either.

Core 2 Duo and FW 800 are decent but nothing much to get excited about. They might save stuff up for next year but I like them to spread it out a bit so we're not always waiting. Leopard should be enough on its own, although since we're not getting to know much of what's in it, my interest is fading somewhat.
post #47 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like to visit AppleInsider to be informed by relatively intelligent and knowledgeable human beings. (Human beings being the operative word here)

My dear Abster, I think one can distinguish 2 AI profiles. On one hand you have the "Wozniaks" (IT wizzards) and on the other hand you've got the "Ives". The "Ives" are concerned about colours, textures, sizes and all things great and small that turns your everyday life into a pleasant (and physical) experience.

So, yes! I am impressed by all the new specs that come with Apple's latest stunner! And no! I am not impressed by its latest design: it cannot compete with the high standards introduced by the MacBook. I am happy however they did not change the silver casing 8)

Euhm, one more thing!
I don't want to be a party pooper, but it brings back memories when they spec'd up the Titanium Powerbook in early November (2003?), only to replace it a couple of weeks later by the sleek new 12" and 17" Powerbook. (January 2004?, Apple expo).
post #48 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBrain

Yeah, if anyone is hell-bent on having a 7200-rpm they can just crack the MBP open and stick a new drive in there. They certainly are impressive machines, I'll look forward to seeing people post about general usage.

I think the performance of the 160GB 5400RPM drive is going to be close enough to that of the 100GB 7200RPM drive to make it not noticeable, simply because of the drastically increased areal density. The 160GB drive is probably the current sweet spot for capacity and performance.
post #49 of 375
Bring it on! Come on! About time, Apple! My order for five has just gone in (for our company - one of them's for me!).

Can't wait to go and have a feel of them at MacExpo on Thursday... ;-)
post #50 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass

This is pretty disappointing. Why all the delays? 9 months between updates...

The 17 was introduced 6 months ago, not 9. And the 15 was updated then.

Intel just released these chips in the last few weeks, using them much earlier wasn't an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffa

Ugh, no 13.3" macbook c2d? Or will there be a round 2 announcement before the holidays are over?

Was really hoping for a 13.3" upgrade or better yet a 13.3" upgrade to pro...

Unrealistic expectations. Apple rarely updates both lines at once, and none of the rumor sites expected a MB update at the same time. 13.3 MPB will probably never happen, the "non-pro" MBs sell like hotcakes as it is.

2 gigs of ram is pretty amazing, I don't think anyone saw that coming.
post #51 of 375
Quote:

You know what I meant. Don't you?

Maybe not. The current MBP design is excellent. I don't want to see it changed to look like the consumer model.
post #52 of 375
Over the last few weeks, there have been a TON of posts threatening "If apple doesn't release a merom portable in the next (day/week/two weeks) I'm going to buy a windows merom machine!"

So who actually did it?

I'm guessing the vast majority of those threats were empty.
post #53 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think the performance of the 160GB 5400RPM drive is going to be close enough to that of the 100GB 7200RPM drive to make it not noticeable, simply because of the drastically increased areal density. The 160GB drive is probably the current sweet spot for capacity and performance.

I agree with that. I think most people will definitely prefer getting 60Gb extra space rather than a marginally faster drive (possibly running noisier/hotter too).

I like this upgrade. I know some people were expecting the world but if you let your imagination go wild and take to heart everything that is said on the forum we'd have Apple dishing out a PDA with digital camera for a discount alongside their 20" MacBook Pro or 8" super-portable MacBook.

Did most people really expect this to be a full redesign of the MBP? Have those people that did actually seen the thing up close? Why change it? I can understand people wanting a magnetic latch but at present I don't find it's a problem to have the little hooks pop out just as it closes. At least they retract unlike my old PC laptop.
post #54 of 375
Quote:

I anticipated this sort of underwhelmedness, based on the talk of the only minor increase in performance with the C2D iMacs for your average user (which I am), when thinking about getting a new laptop. Originally, I was waiting for these MacBook Pros but decided to plump for a refurb Core Duo (a combination of both being inpatient and the performance thing). I love that machine and my head isn't turned so much by this upgrade. Still, they're fine beasts!

I thought about that as well (getting a refub core duo MBP), but you know a refurbished 2.16 ghz Core duo MBP with 1 gb Ram and a 100 gb HD is MORE expensive than a new 2.16 ghz C2D MBP with 1gb Ram and a 120 gb hd. How can you not like that? Should have one ordered by lunch.
post #55 of 375
Odd, there's an image on the Tech Spec screen:

That shows a new AppleCare box, and an old Wireless Mouse box?

EDIT: And the monitor has the Panther wallpaper...
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #56 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac

I thought about that as well (getting a refub core duo MBP), but you know a refurbished 2.16 ghz Core duo MBP with 1 gb Ram and a 100 gb HD is MORE expensive than a new 2.16 ghz C2D MBP with 1gb Ram and a 120 gb hd. How can you not like that? Should have one ordered by lunch.

Yeah, that's the benefit that my being impatient told me to forget! Also, are those prices based on the value today? Is it possible Apple haven't suitably adjusted the refurb prices yet? They may need a while to settle down after the introduction.
post #57 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999

And the Santa Rosa Threads have officially begun!

I feel like an idiot....what is Santa Rosa....is it a new chipset? an upcoming conference? I know it's a city in Califronia, but I don't think that's whats being refered to in these posts....
post #58 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

Odd, there's an image on the Tech Spec screen:

That shows a new AppleCare box, and an old Wireless Mouse box?

That looks like the new wireless mouse. I thought the old wireless mouse had a clear upper shell. If there is already a second package design for the wireless Mighty Mouse, then that's pretty quick.
post #59 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by nufase

I feel like an idiot....what is Santa Rosa....is it a new chipset? an upcoming conference? I know it's a city in Califronia, but I don't think that's whats being refered to in these posts....

It is the code name for the next mobile chipset for the Core 2 Duo. It will offer a faster FSB (800MHz) and some other improvements. Last I heard, it was planned for spring of 2007.
post #60 of 375
Quote:

Did most people really expect this to be a full redesign of the MBP? Have those people that did actually seen the thing up close? Why change it? I can understand people wanting a magnetic latch but at present I don't find it's a problem to have the little hooks pop out just as it closes. At least they retract unlike my old PC laptop.

Okay.

1- close your MBP.

2- get off your seat and level your eyes with the MBP front.

3- notice how the edges of the screen are a little bit twisted upwards.

Now. Go get your mum!

1- close her MB.

2- level your eyes with the MB front.

3- be amazed how neat THAT is! The magnetic latches keep the screen edges firm to the body
post #61 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac

Maybe not. The current MBP design is excellent. I don't want to see it changed to look like the consumer model.

What I meant (by saying "bringing the MacBook Pro inline with the MacBook") was that some people were hoping for:

1.) Magnetic latch
2.) Easier HDD replacement (replacement of the HDD in the MacBook is very easy)
3.) MacBook-style keyboard, but with backlighting.

Of course, the MacBook Pro would remain aluminium and be less dense than the MacBook.

Personally, I'd definitely like to see the first two, not sure about the third. I've got a MacBook and like the keyboard a lot more than I expected, but I'm not sure if it would be an improvement to have a similar one in the MacBook Pro.
post #62 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry

Dagnammit Where's My Anti-gravity Macbooks!!! Apple Suck

Yeah! Dell makes one... of course, it's too big and heavy to actually levitate... but hey, they make one!
"I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused."
Macbook Pro 2.2
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #63 of 375
Quote:

Of course, the MacBook Pro would remain aluminium and be less dense than the MacBook.

Personally, I'd definitely like to see the first two, not sure about the third. I've got a MacBook and like the keyboard a lot more than I expected, but I'm not sure if it would be an improvement to have a similar one in the MacBook Pro.

God no! While the MBP's keyboard is far from perfect (the PB's were the best IMHO), it's a step above the flat non-scalloped keys found on the MacBook.
I hope this latest batch of MBP's have keyboards which aren't as sensitive to the touch and revert back to the firmness of the last models of Powerbooks.
post #64 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O

Okay.

1- close your MBP.

Now. Go get your mum!

1- close her MB.

3- be amazed how neat THAT is! The magnetic latches keep the screen edges firm to the body

Ah! I'd not noticed that... Damn you, now my baby is imperfect! *runs out crying*

post #65 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaslove

Yeah! Dell makes one... of course, it's too big and heavy to actually levitate... but hey, they make one!

You mean the XPS M2010? Feel it's levitating majesty!
post #66 of 375
How often does one change the hard drive in a laptop? Is it really that important that it might take 30 minutes instead of five? There are videos that show you exactly how to do it.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #67 of 375
Quote:

You mean the XPS M2010? Feel it's levitating majesty!

Hee-hee-hee.

Actually, this is the bump I was waiting for. Am ordering the 17" with all the bells and whistles (the 160 gig), 3 gigs RAM, etc. When the Santa Rosa one comes out... whenever that is... I won't be impatient because I'll have this great machine to keep me company. Then I'll give this to my son and be on my merry way.

Mag-latch would be cool, but not a big problem. PLEASE don't change the keyboard.
Macbook Pro 2.2
Macbook Pro 2.2
post #68 of 375
any ideas as to when we might expect the next major revision? 6 months? 9 months? my applecare will have one year left in january (i think), so i should probably sell around them to help boost the resale value
post #69 of 375
I'm excited about the upgraded MBP and am interested in purchasing. I had previously looked at the other MBP and was going to upgrade the hard drive to a 120. As well, I was going to upgrade the memory to 2GB. Now 1GB is standard and as well the 120 is standard. Well now I want to go to a 160. I know there's a 200 but I don't want to have that decrease in speed. I didn't even know 200's were available. As for the upgrades, is it cheaper for me to buy the stock unit and do the upgrades on my own or am I better off just buying from Apple and getting it with 2gb and the 160 gig hard drive? How hard is it to do these upgrades?
post #70 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O

Okay.

1- close your MBP.

Now. Go get your mum!

1- close her MB.

Interesting. My screen corners actually curve a bit down, if anything. I do think the MB magnetic latch is awesome though. My wife has one and I love how they got it to be the perfect resistance for the weight of the machine so you can open it with one hand.
post #71 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy

How often does one change the hard drive in a laptop? Is it really that important that it might take 30 minutes instead of five? There are videos that show you exactly how to do it.

It's not so much time taken or how often, my fear with the MBP is the way you have to actually pop the keyboard out to change the hard-drive. The crack I heard on the video I saw when the guy is removing the keyboard scared me! It's just a little bit risky having to get past some clips when compared to grabbing a penny, unscrewing a couple of screws and tugging at a ribbon then doing everything in the opposite order.
post #72 of 375
Quote:

It is highly desirable for corporate environments. Some have requirements that you pull the drive and keep it as-is for a while after an employee leaves, put a new drive in and recommission it to a new employee.

My other notebooks only require removing one screw and pulling one latch to pull out the drive module. It's a much less involving process that the average consumer can do.
post #73 of 375
Quote:

It's not about how long it takes, it's about how many mistakes you can (and WILL) make.
post #74 of 375
Quote:

While I'm not at all concerned that this would EVER happen, it still makes me want to vote for some sort of law requiring every person who feels this should be done to have their eyes put out with a hot poker for having such terrible taste.

What is wrong with you people? Beveled keys are about a million times sexier than square ones--which look like something from the 80's. Make the MBP keyboard a little firmer, sure. But don't mess with those beveled keys.
post #75 of 375
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/...0bt/index.html

The new 160gb drive has about the same performance as the old 100gb 7200 drive, but the 200gb drive is quite a bit slower (75% as fast, about, as the 160 gb drive). Also, I am hesitant to buy such a new product - so I am going for the 160gb drive.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #76 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

I'm guessing the 2GB SODIMMs are thicker or something and it's a space issue... But yeah, 3GB is an odd limit, still it's nice to see any increase in the laptop space. Also, are the 200GB drives on the market yet? If so, it's news to me (good news). I have to wonder how an how much Apple "optimized" for the C2D, considering the so-so speed increase we've seen so far.

It can't be a size issue because I just checked the Apple Store and if you upgrade to 3GB you actually get one 2GB and one 1GB. This works out at £380 for an extra 1GB of memory - ouch!
post #77 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya

While I'm not at all concerned that this would EVER happen, it still makes me want to vote for some sort of law requiring every person who feels this should be done to have their eyes put out with a hot poker for having such terrible taste.

What is wrong with you people? Beveled keys are about a million times sexier than square ones--which look like something from the 80's. Make the MBP keyboard a little firmer, sure. But don't mess with those beveled keys.

It's O.K., there aren't that many people who want it to happen. As I said, I'm unsure about it, on balance it's probably better to leave the MacBook Pro keyboard as it is.

Have you actually used a MacBook keyboard for any length of time? It's not that bad.
post #78 of 375
Quote:

Also, are those prices based on the value today? Is it possible Apple haven't suitably adjusted the refurb prices yet?

Don't know. Some prices went down. The 2.0 ghz with 512 RAM and 80 gb hd went to $1499. I think they were $1699. It's a no brainer to me. I ordered the 2.16 ghz C2D and upped the RAM to 2gb. Anxious for it's arrival.
post #79 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK

It can't be a size issue because I just checked the Apple Store and if you upgrade to 3GB you actually get one 2GB and one 1GB.

Shaun, I think you need to go away and think about this for a bit longer.
post #80 of 375
Great! wow 2GB RAM!

It will rock OS X and Windows on Parallel!

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro