or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What about new MacBooks?

What about new MacBooks? - Page 2

post #41 of 52
I'm not gung ho about laptop graphics anymore, but I do wonder about the CPU/GPU balance in the Macbooks.

In the Macbook the processor is the part least in need of improvement. There is no perceptible difference between a 1.8GHz dualcore and a 2.0GHz dualcore. Both are overpowered for everyday use. Still, I'd bet money on that they are both going to be speedbumped and bumped to Core 2 shortly.

There is a massive difference between integrated crap and X1300 class graphics, the difference being, the other can be used for gaming, running Motion, etc. while the other cannot. Cost difference is $30, max. I'd pay it even if I planned on desktop use only, just to speed up Core ??? architecture. Why, why do they cripple this great machine so? There are tons of people in the world who'd like to play a little Sims, a little WoW, a little strategy games - casual gaming. Integrated graphics cannot really handle this.

It's possible for the Intel GMA 950 integrated to get switched to GMA x3000 integrated, but it'll still lose horribly to a $30 dedicated part from either ATi or nVidia.
post #42 of 52
well as long as there's some sort of upgrade. its true though, my friend got a macbook and he was so bummed he couldn't play the sims 2 on it. his old computer plays it ok, but he was hoping the macbook would do it more justice.... its a shame though that the macbook has such bad graphics. it makes using iMovie harder too.
post #43 of 52
Quote:
its a shame though that the macbook has such bad graphics. It makes using iMovie harder too.

The very thing. Why have a great iLife (iMovie & iDVD) package on your MacBook when the damned graphics aren't really up to the job?
post #44 of 52
It will be before Leopard for sure, I think Leopard will have more advanced 64bit support than ppl think it will be.
post #45 of 52
SuckButt graphics are suckbutt graphics. Dont expect apple to give it a real gpu because they wont. Best case scenario is a gma3000, more integrated stuff thats terrific for reading your e-mail, counting your photo's and watching the itunes window. Then Apple will say how its so much faster & better then gma950.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #46 of 52
if the macbook is upgraded in november, will it have gma3000? or does it not come out till later?
post #47 of 52
I wouldn't expect any MacBook revisions until MacWorld in January. It's only two months away, and that's about how long it took Apple to get the new chips into their MBP's. If you need a more powerful laptop right now, try a refurbed Macbook Pro, their prices have dropped $700 in some cases. This is also a gfreat solution for all of you who need more graphics power than the MacBook gives.
post #48 of 52
Quote:
There is a massive difference between integrated crap and X1300 class graphics, the difference being, the other can be used for gaming, running Motion, etc. while the other cannot. Cost difference is $30,

So give me a dedicated graphics card and I'll gladly pay Apple $30 extra for it. Infact, give me the specification that most of the peecee notebook competition already has at that pricepoint and I'll stump up an extra $100!

Ya know, I'm really starting to wonder if this type of bickering over specs goes on at other Windows specific sites? Is it just an Apple thing that we all seem to a bug up our ass when it comes to Apples latest 'crippled' hardware offerings? Seems we have a need to try and persuade Jobs and co. to 'keep up' when time comes round for a revision. It gets tiring at times.
post #49 of 52
Wow! MiMac and Gon - I can't agree more. As I have said on page 1 of this thread and have had my proposals tossed out to left and right corners of the room, I would like a dedicated graphics option of the MacBooks just to be able to do a little bit of gaming, perhaps even running Boot Camp to play Counter Strike, Sims, and other games.

What I would also like is a 15" option on the MacBooks. It really upsets me (and when I think about it for long periods of time, it infuriates me8) ) that Apple purposely cripples the hardware just to try to upsell me to the Pro line... I don't have the extra $1000-500 to spend on the Pro MacBook.
Look at Dell and other peecee manufacturers: they give me a 15" model with a ded. graphics option and even throw in Core2 for their regular consumer line notebook - all for around $1300, whereas Apple expects me to pay $2000 for MacBook Pro (or $1800 with edu discount).

I don't know... I'm sorry to say that once Vista comes out, I will seriously be considering a dull Dell.
------

Aurora: If they do give the MacBook a ded. graphics chip, you owe me an ice cream
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
post #50 of 52
apple doesn't try to sell people up as much as they are trying to differentiate their product line. if the macbook had nice graphics then many people would be pushed away from the macbook pro. looking at pc notebook prices, i think the macbook pro's price should be brought down a bit, maybe like $1799-$2299. so that it is more appetizing to get the pro model and the larger screen over the macbook. that method i think would work if the macbook had a dedicated gpu, because ok the customer is like "hmmm 13" screen with a good processor, and ok graphics for the casual game" and then they see the macbook pro and are like "ooooo 15" screen with an even better processor, and a better gpu, along with firewire 800 and dual layer superdrives". many people in that senerio currently (with the macbook as it is, without the gpu) will want buy up to the pro line because of the obvious differnce in features, but will be turened away due to the high prices. so with a small decrease in macbook pro pirces, they could improve the macbook without losing macbook pro share.

haha sorry for the ramble, just my opinion
post #51 of 52
Hello everyone, I am a college student looking to buy a notebook sometime soon and I am seriously considering a Mac. My friend has all Macs in his house and I am impressed with how fast they are, and how they do not suffer from the viruses that clutter up PCs (this has happened to every PC I have ever owned).

I need something that can run multiple applications at one time. Basically I need something that can run multiple internet windows, instant messaging, music, and a word processor at the same time

Whatever I get, I am looking for it to last me over the next four years for college. So I would probably get whatever notebook fully loaded.

Right now I am looking at the MacBook. I would most likely get it with the most RAM you could get so it could run multiple applications. What concerns me is you guys talking about how MacBooks have integrated graphics.

This concerns me mainly in two ways. First off, while I do most of my gaming on consoles, I would like my notebook to be able to play "casual" games such as the Sims 2 and World of WarCraft. Can the MacBook with integrated graphics play these games? Would it be choppy? Or would it just not play at all?

Second, with Leopard coming out, I am sure it will require, like Vista, a dedicated graphics chip. Having a Mac not being able to upgrade to Leopard would quickly outdate my system.

I have considered a refurbished MacBook Pro. While the prices are great, I really do not want a notebook that big, I love the 13.3" size of the MacBook. I also would prefer to buy something new, and can the MacBook Pros with only a Intel Duo Core upgrade to Leopard when it comes out? While a topline 15.4" MacBook Pro would be a little pricy, it is still do-able for me.

I would like to hear your guys' opinions on what I should do. I absolutely need to get a notebook by June, for I am going to be studying abroad for a summer semester at Cambridge. Do you guys think I should wait and hope that the MacBooks will have dedicated graphics by then? I would like to get a notebook now, but I can wait. It sounds like there is no chance that the next MacBook update coming soon will get dedicated graphics, so I might have to either get a Pro or wait.

If I do wait, what can I expect from Macs by mid-next year? Leopard? HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? It sounds like these things coming in 2007 are going to be very expensive, are the prices going to be much higher then the current prices for a new MacBook? Thanks!
post #52 of 52
I'd like to have a MBP as much as the next guy, but the price difference over the 2.0GHz MB was much too large.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › What about new MacBooks?