or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns

Whatcha Listening To... Returns - Page 9

post #321 of 418
The White Stripes.

Can any band's last four first singles compete with these guys?

Fell in Love with a Girl
Seven Nation Army
Blue Orchid
Icky Thump
post #322 of 418
Coldplay's new CD
Metallica Old Hits
ESPN Podcasts
post #323 of 418
Jack White and Alicia Keys to duet on the next James Bond Theme!

At first I cringed. "Alicia Keys? Her voice is terrible!" But then her point about the rawness of her voice meshing well with the rawness of the White Stripes's sound actually makes sense. White will produce and play drums.
post #324 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Jack White and Alicia Keys to duet on the next James Bond Theme!

At first I cringed. "Alicia Keys? Her voice is terrible!" But then her point about the rawness of her voice meshing well with the rawness of the White Stripes's sound actually makes sense. White will produce and play drums.

I can't really say I am an Alicia Keys fan, but to describe her voice as terrible?

Been obsessed with the first four songs on an Of Montreal Record. They totally won me over with this couplet, "On our trip to England I noticed something obscene
People still actually give a shit about the Queen"

Also saw the Subways last Friday who put on a great show. First time I'd jumped around in a pit in.....well let's just say too long.
post #325 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

I can't really say I am an Alicia Keys fan, but to describe her voice as terrible?

Well, her voice is nice for the limited range she has. I really enjoy Fallin', You Don't Know My Name, A Woman's Worth, and If I Ain't Got You. But, my god, listen to her latest big hit "No One." Great song, but she's overextending her range big time there. It's painful to my ears.
post #326 of 418
Rogue Wave's cover of Buddy Holly's "Everyday."

Fantastic!
post #327 of 418
The White Stripes are by far the best band of the past ten years or so.

I also kinda like Gnarles Barkley.
post #328 of 418
On a Buddy Holly kick:

That'll Be the Day
Peggy Sue
Everyday
Not Fade Away
True Love Ways
post #329 of 418
Yours Is No Disgrace -- Yes -- The Yes Album

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #330 of 418
Messin' With The Mekon -- Robert Plant -- The Principle Of Moments

post #331 of 418
Bonerama - Frankenstein - live at Skipper's Smokehouse in Tampa, FL on June 13, 2008.

You haven't lived till you've heard Edgar Winter covered by a band using an electric trombone!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #332 of 418
Please Forgive Us -- 10,000 Maniacs -- Blind Man's Zoo

post #333 of 418
Doesn't Remind Me -- Audioslave -- Out of Exile

post #334 of 418
"7 Things"- Miley Cyrus.

Shut up. It's catchy.
post #335 of 418
I'm still listening to "As" by Stevie Wonder.

In addition to Stevie Wonder's version from Songs in the Key of Life, i've downloaded 21 other recordings of the song from the iTunes Store.

I need a new hit song. I have a total of nearly 1000 play counts on As, across all the different versions.

Can anyone suggest a new song that I might like as much?
post #336 of 418
Minstral Boy (Film Version)\t -- Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros -- Black Hawk Down

post #337 of 418
Prince: Sign O' The Times

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #338 of 418
Tokyo -- Bruce Cockburn -- Humans

They're getting prepared to haul a car out of the river
Noise and smoke and concrete seem to be going on forever
Grinding gears and drivers getting high on exhaust
I'm thinking about the water down below and what got lost
Pachinko jingle and space torpedo beams
Comic book violence and escaping steam
Grey suited business men pissing against the wall --
Cut to crumbling guardrail, slow motions car fall
Oh Tokyo -- I never can sleep in your arms
Mind keeps on ringing like a fire alarm
Me and all these other dice bouncing around in the cup
Did you have to show me that accident scene
Didn't I get enough shaking up?
Still I'm gonna miss you...
Dragon of good fortune struggles with trickster fox
Energy and patience and the power of the buck
Tonight I'm flying headlong
To meet the dark red edge of dawn
I know somebody will be crying
And somebody will be gone
Oh Tokyo -- I never can sleep in your arms
Mind keeps on ringing like a fire alarm
Me and all these other dice bouncing around in the cup
Did you have to show me that accident scene
Didn't I get enough shaking up?
Still I'm gonna miss you...

post #339 of 418
Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago
Horse Feathers, Words are dead
Joe Purdy, everything I can get my hands on
Calexico, Feast of Wire
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #340 of 418
Portishead: Dummy in conjunction with the Albums You Should Hear Podcast http://albumsyoushouldhear.libsyn.co...ost_id=313090#

post #341 of 418
Elton John, Madman Across the Water.

For ages I've contended that Tumbleweed Connection was the greatest Elton John album (and, indeed, one of the best albums of the 1970s), but boy howdy, this one is kicking my ass. I still don't think it's as good as TC, but holy crap, it's a close second.
post #342 of 418
Today:

Prince, 1999.
Jose Gonzales, In Our Nature
Maria Taylor, 11:11
post #343 of 418
Nicola Hitchcock (formerly of Mandalay)
Passive Aggressive

post #344 of 418
Got into the Once soundtrack.

Also "Blind"- Hercules and Love Affair
post #345 of 418
Al Jolson
How is a raven like a writers desk?
How is a raven like a writers desk?
post #346 of 418
Chromatics- Night Drive (album)

Gorgeous!

The Kate Bush cover is incredible.
post #347 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Nicola Hitchcock (formerly of Mandalay)
Passive Aggressive

Is that a Placebo cover? "It's in your reach... concentrate..."
post #348 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Is that a Placebo cover? "It's in your reach... concentrate..."

Interesting that you talk about Placebo covers...

They did a cover of Running Up That Hill, too. (The Kate Bush song Chromatics covered)

Menacing...
post #349 of 418
post #350 of 418
Calexico, Feast of Wire
post #351 of 418
Panic! At the Disco
C.S.S.
MGMT
post #352 of 418
Fleet Foxes
Death Cab for Cutie
post #353 of 418
Young Knives

Love it!
post #354 of 418
post #355 of 418
Seriously, give Fleet Foxes a listen if you want some catchy twangy folk music from Seattle. Awesome.

youtube (audio only)

If you like that, give the first track from the album a listen as well. You'll be hooked, as I am, after only two listens to the record.
post #356 of 418
Running to Stand Still- U2

Red Hill Mining Town- U2

They were capable of some beautiful songs before this post-2000 mediocrity (I loved 80's and 90's U2).
post #357 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Running to Stand Still- U2

Red Hill Mining Town- U2

They were capable of some beautiful songs before this post-2000 mediocrity (I loved 80's and 90's U2).

I skipped school to buy The Joshua Tree when it came out.
post #358 of 418
I still can't stop listening to Fleet Foxes. Someone help. Please.

Please give me some nice folk, something like Nick Drake, Damien Rice or Kings of Convenience (definitely nothing like James Blunt) to tear my ears away from this group. Classic folk is welcome too.
post #359 of 418
Suzuki / Tosca
post #360 of 418
Ida, Lovers Prayers
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns