or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns

Whatcha Listening To... Returns - Page 10

post #361 of 418
How is this thread still going!?! It was started in like what, 2006?

By the way... Ben Folds, Ingrid Michaelson, and Marcy Playground
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" - Isaac Asimov
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" - Isaac Asimov
post #362 of 418
Bill Withers - Lovely Day
post #363 of 418
Elbow just won the Mercury Prize for Seldom Seen Kid.

Well deserved.
post #364 of 418
How come no one ever told me about My Morning Jacket?

Nice.
post #365 of 418
On the 28th, I will apparently be listening to Sigur Ros live and in person.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #366 of 418
Can't get enough of your love, baby - barry white
post #367 of 418
Unless you happen to live in Northern Europe or possibly Japan, you could say that the only trendy CDs I have (remotely trendy) are from Les Savy Fav and The Mars Volta. But I'm not listening to them. No. I'm listening to organ music (not a body part joke).
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #368 of 418
"It's Been a While" -Staind.

Quote:
"It's been a while

Since I've gone and fucked things up just like i always do

It's been a while

But all that shit seems to disappear when i'm with you"

What girl wouldn't like those romantic words? This guy's a fucking charmer, I tell you.
post #369 of 418
Keys To The Hovercar -- Andy McKee -- Art Of Motion

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #370 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Keys To The Hovercar -- Andy McKee -- Art Of Motion

that's a good cd.
post #371 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

that's a good cd.

I think you're right -- it didn't sound like a whole lot at first, but it seems to keep getting better and better.

post #372 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I think you're right -- it didn't sound like a whole lot at first, but it seems to keep getting better and better.

I agree. He's no Mikey Hedges (that's what mother in law called him; she was a student of Hedges's father), but he's got some chops.
post #373 of 418
Fleet Foxes still gets my vote for best release of the year.
Elbow's Seldom Seen Kid hits a close second.

Anyone comment on Fleet Foxes? Am I alone in this?
post #374 of 418
Yes.

But TV on the Radio's "Dear Science" possibly best record of the year.
post #375 of 418
On Sunday, I'm going to hear Sigur Ros live and in person.
post #376 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Yes.

But TV on the Radio's "Dear Science" possibly best record of the year.

Just gave it a listen and wasn't overwhelmed, even within that genre...
post #377 of 418
New Jack White James Bond theme song!
post #378 of 418
Common Reactor by Silversun Pickups
post #379 of 418
I'm still listening to "As" by Stevie Wonder, but I have some other new favorites as well.

Wild is the Wind - Nina Simone
Shackles (Praise You) - Mary Mary
Gonna Lift Your Name - Anointed
Carrousel - Cirque du Soleil (Quidam)
Victory - Yolanda Adams
post #380 of 418
Right now I'm immersing myself in Jason Mraz... I'll see him live in HK on March 2nd!

I love his style, and I've never taken the opportunity to really get into his music. I love these concert opportunities to familiarize myself with someone new.
post #381 of 418
Sometime Around Midnight, by the Airborne Toxic Event off their self-titles album
post #382 of 418
http://groovera.com/

All I have been listening to online. Very mellow and immersible music.

Besides that, it's been live concerts I've found online. A Lou Reed show from circa 1974 or certain groups from the Seventies and Eighties (Patti Smith, Television, Echo & the Bunnymen). I guess it's just nostalgia lately. Finding good new music can be a chore sometimes...\

Some interesting recommendations here that I may check out though.
post #383 of 418
Fleet Foxes - Mykonos

I still think Fleet Foxes was the absolute best album of 2008, even beating Seldom Seen Kid.

Everyone, please give it a listen. I want this band to be around a while.
post #384 of 418
Andrew Bird - Noble Beast

Parliament - Mothership Connection
post #385 of 418
I'm absolutely loving Andrew Bird. He plucks the violin, whistles, plays guitar, and is a fantastic songwriter.

post #386 of 418
post #387 of 418
post #388 of 418
Anti-Nowhere League, The Undertones, The Avengers, Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69, The Weirdos, Peter & The Test Tube Babies, Joy Division... been on a classic punk kick lately
post #389 of 418
Moriarty - Gee Whiz, but This is a Lonesome Town (iTunes Link)

More Psychedelic Folk, this time with a girl singer.
post #390 of 418
I'm currently listening to- The All-American Rejects, The Bolts, Coldplay, The White Tie Affair, Jason Mraz, and etc.
post #391 of 418
I was so disappointed with the Jason Mraz show here in Hong Kong that I'm seriously considering deleting him from my iTunes. What a way to alienate fans, jerk!
post #392 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I was so disappointed with the Jason Mraz show here in Hong Kong that I'm seriously considering deleting him from my iTunes. What a way to alienate fans, jerk!

What did he do?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #393 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

What did he do?

He played a 90-minute set, with no support act, finishing at 10:00pm. People left and right were wondering aloud, "Is that it!?" He played a setlist that omitted nearly all of the best and favorite tracks from previous albums in favor of mediocre tracks from the new album. He went on for 20 minutes of the precious 90 he gave us trying to goad the crowd into singing along with a horrible take on Marley's "Three Little Birds" instead of playing his own music, or his proven cover track, "Rocket Man".

Probably not his fault, the majority of the US$70 tickets offered seats where the acoustics were absolutely horrible and you couldn't even see close enough to notice whether Toca had a goatee or not.

He had almost no chemistry with the audience (except for the 12 year-old girls screaming "I love you Jason, you're HOT!!!!"), which might be why he cut it so short, but that shows a level of selfishness and unprofessionalism if true.

But the thing I really blame him for was the length of the show and the setlist:

Make It Mine
Geek In The Pink
You And I Both [Medley]
If It Kills Me
Lucky - with Fiona Sit
Only Human
Clockwatching
Unfold
Live High - with Khalil Fong
Dynamo
I'm Yours (Three Little Birds)

[encore]
Mr. Curiosity
The Remedy (I Won't Worry)
No Stopping Us
Butterfly

I don't know if any of you have ever paid $70 for 90 minutes of music in a horrible auditorium before. I've been to literally hundreds of live performances, and honestly, this was the most disappointing out of every single one.

That said, "Mr. Curiosity", and "Butterfly" (the best song from the latest album) chosen for the finale were highlights. In fact, the encore was great. The rest of she show should have been what the encore was. It just did not have any momentum, whatsoever.
post #394 of 418
New Placebo Record, Battle For the Sun is awesome. Should be on iTunes on Monday for UK and Tuesday for US.

Exclusive track included on the Taiwan/Hong Kong/Singapore release is an incredible remix of "Post Blue" from Meds.

And I'm buying tickets on Monday for the concert which will be on August 3rd. Unfortunately, it's also at Star Hall, but at least this time, it's GA (standing) so it should be better.

post #395 of 418
Listening to the Best of Times by Styx.

I have iTunes Library of over 900 artists, over 8000 songs

Over 3300 hits songs, mostly in Classic Rock, some new rock/alt hits, a bit in other genres.

I have group organized nearly all the songs based upon stress level:

Very Hard:........like nearly all Testament, Metallica etc.
Hard:................like most AC/DC, ZZ Top, Ozzy, etc.
Medium:...........most like Elton John, Bruce Springstein etc.
Easy:.................lighter songs of any artist.

as well as their genre and if they are hits or not.

This allows me to make very custom smart playlists.

For example a song could get a grouping like:

Classic Rock Hard Hits or New Rock Medium Good*

Blues Hard Hits or Pop Easy Good

*(good enough to listen too, but perhaps not a hit)

Anyway it took me a couple of years in my spare time, first finding so many classic rock hits, then organizing them and grouping them.

What I have now is a iPod/Library that is truly a joy to use.

I can set it to the stress level or mood people are open too in a particular genre or even a mix of genres.

I have enough "hits" that I don't even bother listening to the cd filler songs, slowly dumping them for disk space.

Anyway if you got this far before I bored you, I can pdf (or ods even better) then email out my work in Classic Rock. This will give anyone asking (via PM) a list of so many classic rock artists (count 352 artists) "hit" songs as well as their "grouping". Might come across songs you haven't heard and aid you in your classifications. Will save a lot of work for you if your interested.

I only have Classic Rock nailed, just missing a few songs perhaps. But the best of 352 artists is quite a feat.

Sorry as you know iTMS music is tagged, so don't ask for the music.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #396 of 418
Eyvind Kang: Virginal Coordinates

very curious, anthemic jazz music
post #397 of 418
Band of Horses - Infinite Arms

Third album from this fantastic folk-rock band. Sounds great! Not as good as Fleet Foxes, but I really enjoy listening to this band.
post #398 of 418
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
====================================
Cheap SEO
post #399 of 418
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

Oh, yeah! Drunk Girls! Oh, yeah!
post #400 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening

Oh, yeah! Drunk Girls! Oh, yeah!

Saw them two weeks ago in NYC. Great show
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns