or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns

Whatcha Listening To... Returns - Page 2

post #41 of 418
those of you that like Muse...

try out OSI - Free

http://www.osiband.com
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #42 of 418
"1979" by Smashing Pumpkins. Also "Disarm."
post #43 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau

those of you that like Muse...

try out OSI - Free

http://www.osiband.com

Any way to listen before you buy? Or is this something I can find at HMV?
post #44 of 418
I recently discovered the Aussie rockband Sick Puppies while watching Current TV. They provided their new single All the Same for a pod about the Free Hug Campaign. They put out an EP back in June and have a new album forthcoming. Below are links to the pod and their website...

Official Site

Youtube Video
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #45 of 418
post #46 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!

http://www.blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/index2.htm

I love them do you listen to the Jesus and Mary Chain too?
post #47 of 418
H Trickfall,

Used to listen to J&M - being in England and all that, although as I've grown up, it was the American Boston group 'Buffalo Tom' as well as Grant Lee Buffalo who spun on my turntable more. You'd probably know them since you live in NYC!

BRMC really impressed me with 'Howl' although I've pretty much been a fan from their first release. Their work is so refreshing!
post #48 of 418
I just got a torrent of that Velvet Underground demo acetate that was on Ebay. It was cleaned up by the poster and it sounds great. The original was pretty bad with scratches and pops. But this guy did a good job.

Got it fro the Trader's Den site. Great site. All legal live and bootleg recordings. Plus the occasional rare recordings.
post #49 of 418
Quote:

H Trickfall,

Used to listen to J&M - being in England and all that, although as I've grown up, it was the American Boston group 'Buffalo Tom' as well as Grant Lee Buffalo who spun on my turntable more. You'd probably know them since you live in NYC!

BRMC really impressed me with 'Howl' although I've pretty much been a fan from their first release. Their work is so refreshing!

Funnily enough I was much more into English bands and never listened to either of those two, but I am aware of them. Of course being in New York I was/am a huge Blondie and Ramones fan and got to see both of those bands a bunch of times. The JAMC was pretty popular in NY and I had the pleasure of seeing them a few times as well.
post #50 of 418
Buck Cherry - Crazy Bitch

Paolo Nutini- Last Request

Lupe Fiasco- Kick Push
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #51 of 418
Quote:
Funnily enough I was much more into English bands and never listened to either of those two, but I am aware of them. Of course being in New York I was/am a huge Blondie and Ramones fan and got to see both of those bands a bunch of times. The JAMC was pretty popular in NY and I had the pleasure of seeing them a few times as well.

strange how we like things that are more exotic than our own taste huh?

Blondie -
post #52 of 418
"Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse.
post #53 of 418
Goldfrapp - Ooh La La and currently downloading the sounds.
post #54 of 418
Good song.
post #55 of 418
A very loud ethernet switch.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #56 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

"Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse.

Wasn't thrilled by this and thus had low expectations for Black Holes and Revelations. Later was relieved to find that this was the worst (most repetitive, least interesting) track on the entire album. Now, "Knights of Cydonia", that's what I call music!
post #57 of 418
Cheap industrial riffs and some weird funky wailing about space...

It'd make a good stripper song.
post #58 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

A very loud ethernet switch.

I LOVE that song!

I guess Muse has another good album...gotta check'em out
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #59 of 418
Just found these guys worth checking out!
Band:
The Car Is On Fire
Song:
such a lovely or can't cook (who cares )
Album:
Lake & Flames

enjoy.
flick.
post #60 of 418
Listening to three great albums pretty continuously over the Xmas period.

The Greatest by the awesome Cat Power

Real Life - utterly incredible album from Joan as Policewoman

And this one is totally mind-blowing:

Midlake Trials of Van Occupanther

Oh and Jarvis Cocker's solo album is pretty cool too.....especially for the inspired "C*nts are still running the world".
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #61 of 418
Clockshop -- Billy McLaughlin -- Out Of Hand -- 2 of 10 -- 3:53

post #62 of 418
http://www.grantleephillips.com/virginiacreeper.html

Cinematic and poignant. Grant's voice is just amazing. I can hear why Rolling Stone were so impressed with him they voted him best male vocalist one year...
post #63 of 418

Co-worker plays bass
Hard core Punk band in Philly.
In honor of the Bush speech.
post #64 of 418
Busted Bicycle, Leo Kottke -- from the album: 6- And 12-String Guitar

If you haven't listened to this 1969 classic you owe it to yourself to do so. Definitely a 'guitar lesson.'

post #65 of 418
Madonna: "Ray of Light", and 4 most recent albums
Robbie Robertson: Contact from the Underworld of Red Boy
Fripp and Eno: Hopeful Timean
Steve Reich: Music for 18 Musicians/Sextet/Tehillim/
Bartok: String quartets
Bach: Brandenberg concertos
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite

and I usually have the radio on, hoping to hear something that might just get me heading to the nearest Borders... but generic predictability seems to rule, sadly

but wait... there's more: that pesky damned wretched Macintosh startup chime on far too many occasions recently (why on earth is it not even in concert pitch?)....

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #66 of 418
Quote:
Bartok: String quartets

The Vegh Quartet are sonorously beautiful whereas the modern versions tend towards analytical intensity, approaching a coldness and desolation man has never heard before. There's a lot of glorious AAD CD recordings out there; great to find another Bartok String Quartet fan

Which version do you listen to ?
post #67 of 418
Blondie - Detroit 442 If you've never heard this song and like high energy rock and roll punk rock you should check it out.

http://homepage.mac.com/trick8/12%20Detroit%20442.mp3
post #68 of 418
U2 - Last Night on Earth I feel like a lot of people don't dig this record, but this song Staring at the Sun and Discotheque are awesome.
post #69 of 418
Mil Besos -- Patty Griffin -- 1000 Kisses

post #70 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

Blondie - Detroit 442 If you've never heard this song and like high energy rock and roll punk rock you should check it out.

http://homepage.mac.com/trick8/12%20Detroit%20442.mp3

Blondie rules. Well at least up to "Heart of Glass". If you are a hard core Blondie fan get this DVD of them performing on the Beat Club in 1978. Has all the early stuff and Debbie is so. damn. sexy.
post #71 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Blondie rules. Well at least up to "Heart of Glass". If you are a hard core Blondie fan get this DVD of them performing on the Beat Club in 1978. Has all the early stuff and Debbie is so. damn. sexy.

While I myself don't have that dvd, my best friend and bassist Big Dope does and it is some mighty fine viewing.
post #72 of 418
Quote:
Has all the early stuff and Debbie is so. damn. sexy.

Lol! Not quite the word I'd use to describe someone who is old enough to be my mother!
post #73 of 418
Symphony No. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64 -- Berlin Symphony Orchestra & Kurt Sanderling -- Tchaikovsky Symphonies

post #74 of 418
Quote:

Lol! Not quite the word I'd use to describe someone who is old enough to be my mother!

Yeah, but I bet she wasn't old enough to be your mother back then!
post #75 of 418
Black Country Woman -- Led Zeppelin -- Physical Graffiti (Disc 2)

post #76 of 418
Quote:
Yeah, but I bet she wasn't old enough to be your mother back then!

You never know

Justin

(currently listening to Emiliano Torrino's "Love in the time of Science"
post #77 of 418
Heaven, Hell Or Houston -- ZZ Top -- El Loco

post #78 of 418
Number With Wings - The Bongos
post #79 of 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Anyone into Joanna Newsom?

After a couple listens I'm hooked.

I am madly in love with Joanna Newsom. Best fucking album of last year, in my opinion.

Certainly took a couple of listens, though.
---

Switcher as of 3/19/2006
Owner of a 15", 2 GHz MacBook Pro
---

Switcher as of 3/19/2006
Owner of a 15", 2 GHz MacBook Pro
post #80 of 418
With the recent stories of The Beatles reaching a deal with Apple, it brought me to this thought. It angers me that customers willing to pay for Bealtes music via iTunes can't, yet Target can use their song in a commercial. This kind of selling out drives me nuts. I hate to see good songs tarnished like that.

Back on topic, I'll be picking up The Shins new album next Tuesday.
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Whatcha Listening To... Returns