or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What Email service do you use?

What Email service do you use?

post #1 of 32
So, I have had the same MSN.com email address for almost 10 years, but they make it really difficult (Read: impossible) to use it with Mail. So, I am looking to switch. I could go with Gmail or .Mac, but would love to hear people's feedback on the options that are out there.
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
post #2 of 32
I LOVE gmail. I wouldn't use anything else. I use Yahoo at work, hate it, and my girl uses Hotmail, also hate it. Gmail has built in spell check, the contact are real easy to use and setup, the Gmail Chat works perfectly and is good for sending ideas back and forth without waiting, it's like AIM but with Gmail accounts. They give you a lot of space for saving emails, and the spam protection is on point (I never get spam mail in my inbox EVER). You can do a google search in your archived mail to find a conversation you had with someone for reference, you can star emails and click "star mail" and all of them show up instantly...IDK I can go on forever about it, I would highly suggest Gmail. If you need an invite let me know I still have a few left.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #3 of 32
I've lost mail on Gmail. Multiple times. Really important mail.

.Mac's $100 a year.

Choose your poison
post #4 of 32
I use GMail, as I like the cost (Free), which is the same reason for avoiding dotMac, I dislike the cost \. I agree with gregmightdothat, choose your poison 8).
 iMac 24-inch 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
post #5 of 32
I use " User Mail " , it's 19.95 a year but good .... http://www.usermail.com/
post #6 of 32
I have accounts on hotmail and gmail and mac.com

By far the best of those is mac.com

Second best is gmail. Works fine with mail.app.

Hotmail is the throwaway account. You can use it with mail.app if you install the httpmail plugin, but it's extremely slow, bogs down the computer terribly if you don't have a lot of ram, and can't even sync the first time... always have to try again.
post #7 of 32
.Mac for primary email, Gmail for secondary. I have my Gmail forwarded to .Mac.
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

By far the best email service I know is www.fastmail.net It's a fast but feature rich service. They have free accounts but with the one-time member fee of US$20 you can have your own sub-domain and unlimited email addresses. This is great for spam protection! I use unique email addresses for various online boards and if I ever get spam (not had a single one yet) I can just block that address and I know where it came from!!!
post #9 of 32
GMail is the best, it is free, very reliable and works with Mail without any glitches at all.
.Mac, on the other hand, is OK but not too great and charges you for a service which Google gives for free.
... and don't even get me started on Hotmail - it is owned by Microsoft, that should give you a clue!
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

post #10 of 32
Gmail rocks except that it has no IMAP support. I have found it to be extremely reliable and now that I have gotten used to the way it threads back and forth emails into a chat-like conversation, I find Mail.app useless because I cannot view the flow of emails the same way. I love being able to archive everything and use Google's search engine to find old emails. This is great for finding pictures that you might have sent or for finding links you might have sent. I wish that mail.app had a similar UI.
post #11 of 32
Quote:

Excellent choice!
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I've lost mail on Gmail. Multiple times. Really important mail.

.Mac's $100 a year.

Choose your poison

I have never had that happen to me.
post #13 of 32
gmail

i've never lost email with it and this is the first time i've ever heard of mail being lost.
post #14 of 32
Most people who use gmail aren't going to lose mail. But clearly it happens.

It's a matter of if you wanna take that chance. Gmail has screwed me pretty royally, twice, so I personally don't.

(Also, have you personally verified that every single email that you've sent or had sent to you was actually delivered? I only noticed two really important emails that didn't go through. I've probably also lost a number of unimportant ones.)
post #15 of 32
GMail is accessible from POP mail clients at no additional cost (it remains FREE). It should be fully compatible with Mail. I use Entourage and it accesses (Send/Receive) my GMail account without any problems.
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
post #16 of 32
I have Gmail, Fastmail, Yahoo and .Mac, but the one I use almost exclusively is NetIdentity.com. A plug for .Mac is that it is much more than just email while the rest stop at the email function.
David Hall
Arizona
David Hall
Arizona
post #17 of 32
I use gmail, hotmail, yahoo and my works imap service.

the yahoo is my junk account as it has no pop support. I send all my trash their and never once look at it save when Im expecting a password or login verification.

The gmail, hotmail and Imap all go through entourage on my mac. Works like a charm.
post #18 of 32
Quote:

(Also, have you personally verified that every single email that you've sent or had sent to you was actually delivered? I only noticed two really important emails that didn't go through. I've probably also lost a number of unimportant ones.)

Well, one could ask the same question to you. Have YOU personally verified that every single email you've been sent was properly addressed, or that the fault did not lie somewhere else between the sender and receiver?

I've never used .mac, but I vouch for Gmail. I've yet to be disapointed by the service. And if you decide you don't like it, you can always foreward the email to your new address for free.
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit

Well, one could ask the same question to you. Have YOU personally verified that every single email you've been sent was properly addressed, or that the fault did not lie somewhere else between the sender and receiver?

I've never used .mac, but I vouch for Gmail. I've yet to be disapointed by the service. And if you decide you don't like it, you can always foreward the email to your new address for free.

Are you serious? Of course I checked. For both incoming messages that didn't get through, and messages that I sent.
post #20 of 32
.Mac
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
CubeG4 PL1.2GHz 80GB HD 1,25GB RAM GeForceFX5200 128MB VRAM
and MacBookPro 2,16GHz C2D

http://www.kgurszynski.eu
post #21 of 32
Gmail for every personal email. Love it, no problems for me.
keep my hotmail just for ordering stuff.
post #22 of 32
Gmail just updated their interface today, and it includes a menu button that is not compatible with Safari 2.x

There really is no excuse for that...
post #23 of 32
Gmail is the best for me.
The few things i don't like about it are that if you use Safari some features are limited. No IM useing Google Talk and the new mail features won't work.
Personally I use Camino so there is no problem for me. I love being able to IM in the same window, rather then sending Emails back and forth.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #24 of 32
If anyone has any gmail invites left I would really like one. PM me for email address. Thanks.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #25 of 32
I use Gmail... I love it. Wouldn't use anything else at this point. First, it's free. Second, I like all the features, plus it's really easy to use.
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
"Life's a game, and I'm the player stuck at the character select screen."
post #26 of 32
I use a web hosting company's e-mail (aplus.net), because my primary e-mail is on my own domain which is hosted there.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #27 of 32
I'm on the Gmail bandwagon as well. I love it.
post #28 of 32
Quote:

Are you serious? Of course I checked. For both incoming messages that didn't get through, and messages that I sent.

Wait, so you're talking about mail that was lost in transit? Man, every email system does that. Email is not a reliable means of delivery, even in this day and age. I've had messages disappear into the void for over a decade now, on various services. It's hardly a Gmail issue.
post #29 of 32
gMail.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowenbrown

So, I have had the same MSN.com email address for almost 10 years, but they make it really difficult (Read: impossible) to use it with Mail. ...

Gmail, and you'll like the fact it works wonderfully with Mail .
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
250GB HDD
OSX "Lion" 10.7.1
 iBook G4 - 14"
OSX "Leopard" 10.5.8
post #31 of 32
Gmail is the best but only if you use it exclusively online. You can have everything nice and organized in an Email client and it will still be a mess on the server side unless you organize it there as well. It needs IMAP.

.Mac has been faithful to me and the only problem I had with it (SMTP from Mail.app) turned out to be an ISP problem and I Just changed the port. Plus when I had my HDD replaced it was easy enough to get everything EXACTLY as it was on my old HDD. Just a hop, skip, and a .Mac Sync actually. Downside is the price itself, but I can live with that, though maybe everyone else can't.

AIM Mail works but I use it for almost nothing so I can't really say.

After ABSOLUTELY Hating Yahoo, I signed up for a new Yahoo ID to test the new Yahoo Mail Beta and I rather like it, but it needs a bit more polish.

I hate the current Hotmail interface but I've been using Live.com since, well, almost the day I signed up for Hotmail just for Messenger.

Out of all of these, Gmail would be the best if it had IMAP and Tags were more common place in Desktop Email Clients. So I have to say .Mac for now.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #32 of 32
I like Gmail a lot, and I don't even use it with the Mail app. I don't see a point. Gmail's whole "conversation" based interface is so creative and I have gotten so used to it that I could never go back to the old-fashioned way.

But even if you must use Mail, Gmail is still the best. Tons of storage for free!
"How fortunate are you and I.."
"How fortunate are you and I.."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What Email service do you use?