or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Your best wish for Leopard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your best wish for Leopard

Poll Results: With what feature/improvement will Apple make you the...happiest?

 
  • 12% (10)
    Time Machine
  • 37% (30)
    Faster and more efficient OS (GUI responds, spinning beachball, less memory use)
  • 41% (33)
    A new finder
  • 7% (6)
    Resolution independence
79 Total Votes  
post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I am very curious what, for you, is the best reason to upgrade to Leopard.
If the answer is not in the poll, please post it as a message.
Thanks!
post #2 of 23
I had to pick "new Finder," but I find the current Finder decent (if far from perfect).

What would actually make me happiest: an updated UI, across the board. A complete visual and UI refreshment, with much deeper use of Spotlight. Including the Finder, of course, but far more reaching than just that. I want to see new ideas that Apple's been holding off for a while now, safe from Vista's prying eyes.
post #3 of 23
A new Finder, and a more responsive operating system.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
hahah yeah, I hear ya, but if you HAD to choose?
post #5 of 23
Yeah I chose Faster and more efficient OS (GUI responds, spinning beachball, less memory use). Would anyone like to tell me why Safari sometimes comes to a snails pace with only a few minor apps open (AIM, Preview, Mail, Yahoo Messenger) with an iMac G5 2.1 with 512 MB memory? I know 512 MB is not a lot these but that should not bring Safari hanging! Sometimes I will get the BOD (beach ball of death) for about ten to twenty minutes before I can browse!
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Yeah I chose Faster and more efficient OS (GUI responds, spinning beachball, less memory use). Would anyone like to tell me why Safari sometimes comes to a snails pace with only a few minor apps open (AIM, Preview, Mail, Yahoo Messenger) with an iMac G5 2.1 with 512 MB memory? I know 512 MB is not a lot these but that should not bring Safari hanging! Sometimes I will get the BOD (beach ball of death) for about ten to twenty minutes before I can browse!

Holy cow! You need to run Disk Utility (repair disk permissions).

You might also want to run Cocktail. You have some serious problems there.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 23
Thanks for the suggestion Spam, I'll try it out!
post #8 of 23
Also, check how much free hard drive space you have. Once you get under about 5-10 gigs on your boot drive, it gets harder for the OS to maintain a decent swap space, which will slow it down again.
post #9 of 23
1. Top secret features
2. Complete UI refreshment
3. New Finder
4. FrontRow 2.0
5. Complete Package!! (as in iWork '07 including "Numbers" & iLife '07 included in Leopard)
6. ZFS file system
7. Resolution Independence
8. Possibility to change the Zoom button's functionality to Maximize within System Preferences
9. Get rid of that annoying gap of 3 pixels across the end the screen
..more later.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Thanks for the suggestion Spam, I'll try it out!

If you're running both AIM and Yahoo Messenger you might want to try Adium X. I like it a lot more than any of the IM apps out there. http://www.adiumx.com/
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #11 of 23
I'm starting to wonder if there is going to be a new Finder after all. Leopard's Finder has the Sneak Peek feature and its Debug menu has a lot of stuff that looks as if the engineers are testing performance. So unless that was already there but not enabled, one has to wonder what in the world they are testing performance for if this isn't going to be the Leopard Finder.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy

I'm starting to wonder if there is going to be a new Finder after all. Leopard's Finder has the Sneak Peek feature and its Debug menu has a lot of stuff that looks as if the engineers are testing performance. So unless that was already there but not enabled, one has to wonder what in the world they are testing performance for if this isn't going to be the Leopard Finder.

Maybe under the hood it will be similar, but on the surface it will look and behave fundamentally different. That's worth thinking about, cause nobody knows for sure for sure what Apple has planned for the finder, or whatever they might change the name too
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Yeah I chose Faster and more efficient OS (GUI responds, spinning beachball, less memory use). Would anyone like to tell me why Safari sometimes comes to a snails pace with only a few minor apps open (AIM, Preview, Mail, Yahoo Messenger) with an iMac G5 2.1 with 512 MB memory? I know 512 MB is not a lot these but that should not bring Safari hanging! Sometimes I will get the BOD (beach ball of death) for about ten to twenty minutes before I can browse!

Why not just relaunch Safari? One thing I've discovered is that Safari doesn't like to be left open especially if the machine is put to sleep.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

Maybe under the hood it will be similar, but on the surface it will look and behave fundamentally different. That's worth thinking about, cause nobody knows for sure for sure what Apple has planned for the finder, or whatever they might change the name too

Yeah but what I am saying is that it is just the opposite - the surface is unchanged, but there is debug in there to test performance.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

Why not just relaunch Safari? One thing I've discovered is that Safari doesn't like to be left open especially if the machine is put to sleep.

Because I take advantage of Tabs often and then I would lose all the tabbed windows
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Surprisingly, at this time "Faster and more efficient OS" is choice nr.1, my expectance was "a better Finder". It is really true though that MacOS is slow when it comes to the GUI and efficiency on parts.

What I am surprised about is that Windows Vista has such high system requirements! Although it scales down with the system, requirements seem over-the-top.

I am really curious what Leopard will bring and what not. Without a better Finder, for me, Windows works better when it comes to file management (what I do a LOT with big web/game projects).
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Because I take advantage of Tabs often and then I would lose all the tabbed windows

Saft will save groups of tabbed windows for you. 8)
post #18 of 23
A snazzy and consistent new GUI which has the same 'Wow' that 'lickable' had years back. (Now that Vista appears to have caught up some of the Aqua 'lustre' as far as screen shots go...

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo

I am very curious what, for you, is the best reason to upgrade to Leopard.
If the answer is not in the poll, please post it as a message.
Thanks!

New, multithreaded Finder, a more responsive GUI (I hate the spinning beachball, make it go away please!), and the ability to run Windows programs through OS X (long shot, but one can still dream).

FTFF:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...D7C658A01.html
post #20 of 23
i realy do not see what is wrong with the finder? compared to windows explorer or what ever its called. when im at school i do not have a clue where i am sometimes, so to speak. with the finder, i can go where ever i want, very quickly. sometimes the best way with windows is to just close the window and start over. but yeh, in reply to the thread. umm. new gui, im not liking the brushed metal any more. time machine, yeh, should be a laugh.
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
Reply
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
Reply
post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
let's not turn this into an Explorer VS Finder thread, but just vote on whatever you like to see :-)
post #22 of 23
New finder.

Amen.

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #23 of 23
Make it fast.

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Your best wish for Leopard