or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Santa Steve hands out free iPod shuffles to employees

Santa Steve hands out free iPod shuffles to employees

post #1 of 34
Christmas came a tad bit early for employees of Apple Computer this year, each of which will receive a shiny second-generation iPod shuffle digital music player with the company's compliments.

The "morale booster," as some call it, extends from corporate all the way down to the company's retail division, several employees told AppleInsider.

In January of 2005, the Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker commissioned a similar move when it offered staff members a complimentary version of the first-generation iPod shuffle a couple of weeks after the player was unveiled at Macworld Expo.

The $79 second-generation iPod shuffle was first unveiled by Apple during a September 12th media event. It comes with a built-in clip and 1GB of storage, good for storing approximately 240 songs.

Apple has scheduled a worldwide retail launch of the new players for tomorrow, friday November 3rd.

In an email sent out this week, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs reportedly told employees to expect their new iPods by the end of the month.
post #2 of 34
Cool, lucky guys. Better than working for dell and possibly recieving now defunct DJ Dittys or whatever the *beep* they're called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The "moral booster," as some call it, extends from corporate all the way through the company's retail division, several employees told AppleInsider.

Not only do the new shuffles store 240 songs in a ridiculously small space, they also make you a better person!
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #4 of 34
how easy is it to get a job at apple? lol
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #5 of 34
Wow... this makes me feel better. Our company's 'morale booster' was free 4G nanos last year, and we're not even affiliated with apple.

Now mind you, there's only 80 of us, but still pretty cool.

BTW, I'm a newbie... first post... helllloooooo.

m.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
post #6 of 34
Top 10 reasons that Apple is handing out free iPod shuffles to all employees:

10. They'll recoup the costs thru AppleCare sales.
post #7 of 34
9. Indoctrinate workers with Phil Schiller and Tim Cook podcasts.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump

is what your signature true? sorry, i cant spell
post #9 of 34
8. Including a screen would only confuse them.
post #10 of 34
Quote:

10. They'll recoup the costs thru AppleCare sales.

Quote:

Quote:

8. Including a screen would only confuse them.

7. To genereate buzz like this.
post #11 of 34
6. To get rid of even more old earbuds.
post #12 of 34
5. Shuffles are engineered as great roach clips for the iLife 07 brainstorm sessions.
post #13 of 34
Quote:

5. Shuffles are engineered as great roach clips for the iLife 07 brainstorm sessions.

tut tut and how would you know about that? lol
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain

6. To get rid of even more old earbuds.

even though they come with the new one's....
post #15 of 34
no they don't...
post #16 of 34
4. To thank the employees for what they do
post #17 of 34
3. Halo effect could impress the 50% of employees that use PC's.
post #18 of 34
2. More environmentally green than simply burying the returned models.
post #19 of 34
And the number one reason that Apple is handing out free shuffles to all employees:

1. All work and no play makes the Apple Genius a dull boy!
post #20 of 34
Quote:

Except for some reason the shuffle doesn't play podcasts?

I've just received my 2g iPod shuffle and found out I can't play podcasts. Anyone know how to rectify this?
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielctull

I've just received my 2g iPod shuffle and found out I can't play podcasts. Anyone know how to rectify this?

Buy a Nano...

Actually, I've never even tried that. I wonder why?
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #22 of 34
some how the idea of Steve Jobs in a santa hat just does not seem right...

oh well i will get over it. maby next promotion they will hand out free ipod shufles.
post #23 of 34
amusing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machei

BTW, I'm a newbie... first post... helllloooooo.

Hi. Welcome to AppleInsider.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #24 of 34
I got my personally engraved iPod Shuffle today shipped directly by Fedex from China (to Canada), even though I didn't pay for expedited shipping. I'm amazed by how much is packed into such a small package. It may not hold as much as a nano or video iPod, but it clips onto my T-shirt when I go to the fitness club and plays enough music to last a few weeks of fitness club trips.

So, it may not be as impressive as a corporate gift as an iPod Nano or Video, but at $89 Canadian, my guess is this thing is going to sell like hot cakes. The only thing I don't understand is how Apple can afford to give up enough of them to give away to their employees. The demand for this pre-Christmas is going to be insane.

Once again Apple has hit a home run.
post #25 of 34
Cost of Shuffles to Apple: Pretty low
Dent in available product : Tiny
Goodwill: Priceless

Good on Steve ... and in my stocking I want .....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #26 of 34
Quote:

I think you need to copy them to the shuffle manually in order for them to appear over there.

Or maybe that was just with the original shuffle.
post #27 of 34
Dear Apple Employees,

I strongly encourage all Apple employees to wear your new shuffle as much as possible between now and December 25th.
Anyone not prominently wearing their shuffle at all times will be fired.
I will be visiting area health clubs, supermarkets and restaurants and hope to see you and your shuffle.

Love,

Steve
post #28 of 34
Heh. Not bad.
post #29 of 34
The best thing about this news article is seeing how bitter everyone is about a whole bunch of people who got free iPod shuffles, and they didn't.

That's humanity after all! I would be shocked if we didn't see those people clearly unpleasant.

Suck it up people.
post #30 of 34
Not ALL employees. Seasonal employees don't get them.
post #31 of 34
I have a 2nd gen. Shuffle and it does come with the new earbuds --- that being said it was NOT given to me by Steve Jobs... and I do work for iPod Tech Support with Apple... so this story about getting free iPods from Apple is a load of crap!

8) Tish
post #32 of 34
Quote:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300558
post #33 of 34
Quote:

Oh thank you! You've made me think my choice in a shuffle is alright...

Still I got the old earbuds, although I use some Sony air tight ones.

Cheers again
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #34 of 34
A few months ago (April I believe) Apple gave most of their staff 30gb iPod Videos... I would know, they gave me one!!! I sold it to a friend because I prefer $$$ to an iPod

So, in conclusion WE did not get shuffles but we did get iPod Videos!!!! HAHA if you don't work for Apple!!!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Santa Steve hands out free iPod shuffles to employees