or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › P2P program for Apple (newbie question!).

P2P program for Apple (newbie question!).

post #1 of 26
I've just got my first Apple laptop!

Can someone recommend some Apple P2P software?
I've heard of Limewire a few times.
Is this any good?

Are there Apple Bitorent programs?

(I've done a search for Apple P2P on Yahoo... but I don't get any useful results.)

Thanks.

OM
post #2 of 26
I use Transmission.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 26
Azureus is the best by far for Bittorrent. Transmission is way too limited:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Transmission also gets banned from certain sites.
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

I know about that, that's why I have Azureus too, as a back up
post #5 of 26
I love Acquisition, but Watanabi's programs are too damn expensive.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
post #6 of 26
Haven't used it, but the Opera browser has bittorrent built in, I think.

Welcome to the Mac-- I've noticed you have several simultaneous posts. You can put them into one if they're all about advice-seeking...
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #7 of 26
thanks for all the replies.
i like sourceforge... so i think i'll go for Azureus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksbrain

Welcome to the Mac-- I've noticed you have several simultaneous posts. You can put them into one if they're all about advice-seeking...

sorry will do in future.
post #8 of 26
Transmission has a nice interface, it's a real OS X app, plus it's free.
Azureus was more hassle, felt slow and clunky due to the UI being Java. It was okay on Windows, but no longer.

I have tolerated Acquisition nagging, but I just got off my ass and am going to try replacing it with Poisoned now.

I like free software. Not free as in speech (though that is nice too), but free as in beer. Why the latter matters to me is not because I'm cheap - I'd like to think I am not. But software that does not cost money will not bug you demanding serial numbers and licenses and keys and dongles. It will not require you to keep a fragile optical disk in your drive while using it. To make a backup of it you can just copy it, it will not require a bit-by-bit copy of the surface of its disk to work. What's more, most of the time you don't even want to keep backups because you can just download it again from the web.

Though most software that costs something fails at one or more of these points, OS X succeeds. It's the kind of software I'm glad to pay for.
post #9 of 26
I just downloaded Poisoned and Transmission. Both are very nice, specially Poisoned. Thanks to everyone!
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

-Aayush Arya

post #10 of 26
OK, I'd like to take that back. Poisoned sucks! I used to use Acqlite previously, but it just gets stuck on 'Connecting...' nowadays. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? Acqlite is the best P2P program on the Macintosh IMHO.
-Aayush Arya

-Aayush Arya

post #11 of 26
Has poisoned been updated since 2003? Poisoned and XFactor both showed promise years ago...but then development died on both of them simultaneously, due to some sort of developer quarrel. Unfortunate. XFactor sold out and poisoned...just doesn't work anymore. Acqulite/acquisition are the only real ones that work, which thusly limits us to Gnutella, and closes us off from Area/FastTtrack/Kazaa/eDonkey/Soulseek/etc. Why can't someone just make an application for them all. I wish iSwipe actually worked.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #12 of 26
Yeah, it seems that no one is really interested in making P2P software for the Mac platform.
-Aayush Arya

-Aayush Arya

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

I second this one. I use Azureus also :] Great program.
how would you describe me?
how would you describe me?
post #14 of 26
Limewire Pro and Transmission are the best programs out there and can track down virtually anything.
post #15 of 26
I am using Transmission now. Getting speeds of upto 29 KBps on my 32 KBps connection. I love it! Is Azureus almost as good?
-Aayush Arya

-Aayush Arya

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush

I am using Transmission now. Getting speeds of upto 29 KBps on my 32 KBps connection. I love it! Is Azureus almost as good?

...No
post #17 of 26
No?! But so many people are recommending it...
-Aayush Arya

-Aayush Arya

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush

No?! But so many people are recommending it...

What he meant to say was 'No... Azureus is better than Transmission'.

A lot of people put Azureus down because it's not a true Mac app with a Macified interface but it's still the best Bittorrent client out there in terms of features and acceptance.

Download speeds are fine too - I often get 200kBps+ but it depends on the seeders more than the program.

Since Transmission is lightweight, it supposedly uses less resources but you can't set the upload speeds of individual torrents or choose just one file in a big torrent to download. So say someone has uploaded a whole TV series and you want episode 27. With Transmission, you have to download the whole series.
post #19 of 26
I use "Acqlite" (prolly Acquisition Lite): download Acqlite.
post #20 of 26
Nicotine (runs off the soul seek servers), and Azureus is all I ever need.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #21 of 26
I use aMule. Works okay. Not great... but not bad either. Usually I have to find files with lots of servers, and even then I have to wait overnight, or sometimes several nights, for the download to complete.
post #22 of 26
kewl... i was wondering if there was an equivalent of emule.
post #23 of 26
Transmission. Fuck Azureus, unless you need it. And if so, be prepared for everything else to slow to a crawl.

Xfactor gone. Acqlite's dying. I'm currently using Cabos but about the only thing I can say to recommend it is that it mostly works. Looking for around for an alternative, I'd been starting to get the impression they were all shit. Which, I gather from the above, is pretty much the case. I only read the thread in the hope someone would have a better suggestion. But I guess not.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
Tomorrow shall be love for the loveless;
And for the lover, tomorrow shall be love.
post #24 of 26
Acquisition get's my vote. tried Poisoned for a while but it stopped responding a couple of months ago, at which point i got acquisition and never looked back.
seems like they are developing a bittorrent client too - http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/ - but that's currently in beta...
post #25 of 26
i use solarseek to connect to soulseek. it does the job.

oops, this was pointless, very old thread. i wasnt thinking.
post #26 of 26
I've never had any problems with Acquisition
http://www.acquisitionp2p.com/

If you don't register, a "popup" reminding to register happens every so often. Other than that, nothing annoying - it is even integrated with iTunes, and puts downloaded songs into a playlist if desired.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › P2P program for Apple (newbie question!).