or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates MacBook line with Core 2 Duo processors

Apple updates MacBook line with Core 2 Duo processors - Page 2

post #41 of 112
Well, I said kind of lying. I just couldn't think of a better word. I certainly wasn't intending the negative connotations that the word 'lying' suggests compared to such a word as "misleading." But even misleading isn't a good enough word.

It's not a demeaning attitude, it is just the realization of marketing companies use. Obviously, anyone is going to make their products sound the best, by trying to be as truthful as possible. Yes, lying isn't a favorable word. But, c'mon. You know what I meant (mean).

And if you don't, I'm sorry that there isn't enough inflection in my writing.
post #42 of 112
I used a friend's macbook with the glossy screen in cafes and I see too much reflection!. Can you order one with a matte screen?
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister

I like - I like - I like - more importantly, the wallet like

This is a nice machine at the right price at the right time on the right day (8 yeah, Dems).

Just one question: how will it run Aperture? I was thinking to update my old and beginning to get cranky PB wiht a MBP, but money is an obstacle. Just want toe run Aperture for some basic pre-editing in the field; nothing heavy.

If it will run Aperture, I will order one this week if I can decide between white and black.

It is listed under the Minimum System Requirement

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/

However, it is not listed in the Recommended Configuration, (particularly re the graphic card).

Considering that Aperture is "Designed for Professional Photographers" the selection of available hardware is realistic.
post #44 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho

Well, I said kind of lying. I just couldn't think of a better word.

It's not a demeaning attitude, it is just the realization of marketing companies use.

Yes, but did you see the effect of what your inaccuracy and reflection had on another's equally misguided statements.
post #45 of 112
For those who have ordered a macbook online prior to today and have not yet received shipping confirmation:

I just got off the phone with apple. I placed my order for a macbook last Friday night, stupidly not knowing the new release was going to be so soon. I have received shipping confirmation for the accessories I ordered, but not for the macbook itself. The sales rep said my macbook had not been shippped because they held my order for the new release (which is awesome because I had custom ordered it and was worried about not being able to return it).

So if you ordered a macbook anytime after Friday, you should be getting the newest version of the macbook. You may want to call and double check, but I'm pretty sure.

If you ordered before Friday night and have not received confirmation, I'd imagine you are getting the new one too, but you may also want to call and double check.

I am so happy they held my order!! I was getting the 2.0ghz white and had them up the memory from 512mb to 1gig. The new version has 1 gig standard!! YAY!!!!! There's another $90 bucks knocked off my order!!
post #46 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1

Anyone know if these have the new pre-802.11n wireless chips? Or will we have to wait till someone gets one and cracks the case to find out?

If so, I think Apple will be all 802.11n in time for the iTV. Will that require 802.11n? or only for HD content? Hmmmm....

- Jasen.

Guys, do some research. Apple does it better than any other computer when it comes to product disclosure.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

"Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g)(4); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module"
post #47 of 112
I wonder what's taking the US Apple store so long.
post #48 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

As for the 4mb v 2mb l2 cache thing - isn't that clock specific?

For Merom (Core 2 Duo), yes, you are correct. The 1.66 and 1.83 GHz versions have 2 MB L2 cache, the 2.00, 2.16 and 2.33 versions have 4 MB L2 cache. All Yonahs (Core Duo, what the MacBook used to have, and the Mini still has) have 2 MB L2 cache.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #49 of 112
[QUOTE=Abster2core]The MacBook spec site

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Stop being such a duckhead .... and read the CORRECT specs page.
post #50 of 112
Abster:

1.) Looking at Apple's spec page to find out if the MacBooks have pre-n wireless hardware will get you nowhere. The Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros have a/b/g/pre-n wireless hardware, but the spec page still says "802.11g".

2.) The discussion about thinness was referring to the MacBook (non pro). The specs you quoted are for the MacBook Pro. Apple state quire clearly that the MacBook is 1.08" / 1.75 cm thick.

I believe, however, that mgkwho's contention that Apple refer to the MacBook as 1" thin is erroneous.
post #51 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen

For those who have ordered a macbook online prior to today and have not yet received shipping confirmation:

I just got off the phone with apple.….

I am so happy they held my order!! I was getting the 2.0ghz white and had them up the memory from 512mb to 1gig. The new version has 1 gig standard!! YAY!!!!! There's another $90 bucks knocked off my order!!

lgreen

Re, "…stupidly not knowing the new release was going to be so soon." is really not a true reflection of your action.

You're getting a better and more powerful machine at less. More importantly, you are at the top of the delivery schedule. In retrospect, you've made a very intelligent move.

Enjoy. Your new MacBook. And the envy of many others.

P.S. Thanks for posting your experience. Hopefully, others will read it first before raising undue concern.
post #52 of 112
yes! the store is back up!

(I get errors in the Holiday Shopping Guide as well as the Chat Now)

And their red $50 iTunes gift card shows the old ipod earbuds! Who knew?
post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

lgreen

Re, "stupidly not knowing the new release was going to be so soon." is really not a true reflection of your action.

You're getting a better and more powerful machine at less. More importantly, you are at the top of the delivery schedule. In retrospect, you've made a very intelligent move.

Enjoy. Your new MacBook. And the envy of many others.

P.S. Thanks for posting your experience. Hopefully, others will read it first before raising undue concern.

I realize that now, and am VERY happy. I am especially happy that I just got $90 buck knocked off my bill to since I no longer need to upgrade to 1gig! I was very worried last night after finding out a new version might be out this week, but knew something had to be up since they had not shipped my macbook yet. I just got anothe nice little email from apple stating my order had already been upgraded. Very Very happy.

This is my first apple computer so I'm very excited.

Thank you for your kind words.
post #54 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreen

This is my first apple computer so I'm very excited.

Welcome to Macintosh
post #55 of 112
I still think Apple needs to have a solid sub-$1000 laptop.
post #56 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert

I still think Apple needs to have a solid sub-$1000 laptop.

I've been hoping ever since they came out with the MacBook that they'd introduce a version with the Celeron M processor. The Celeron M 430 is essentially a 1.73 GHz Core Solo with 1 MB L2 cache (rather than 2 MB) and 533 MHz FSB (rather than 667 MHz). It is $155 cheaper (in quantities of 1000) than the 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo in the current bottom-of-the-range MacBook.

Doesn't look like it's going to happen though. Maybe they are feeling that they are already selling more than they can make. Perhaps once the line is in steady supply/demand balance and now the "intermittent shutdown" problem is solved, they will intro a cheaper version.
post #57 of 112
Nice updates. I own the first gen MacBook, but don't feel really bad about not having a Core 2 Duo.
post #58 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

Abster:

1.) Looking at Apple's spec page to find out if the MacBooks have pre-n wireless hardware will get you nowhere. The Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros have a/b/g/pre-n wireless hardware, but the spec page still says "802.11g".

2.) The discussion about thinness was referring to the MacBook (non pro). The specs you quoted are for the MacBook Pro. Apple state quire clearly that the MacBook is 1.08" / 1.75 cm thick.

I believe, however, that mgkwho's contention that Apple refer to the MacBook as 1" thin is erroneous.

My apologies to mgkwho

Must admit, I am a bit miffed. I just viewed my History and from "mgkwho" I went directly to the Apple site>MacBook> and saw the reference to "one inch thin' in the right column of the page. I then clicked Tech Specs which sent me to another 'white-backgrounded' page, noted the reference to 1.0 inches, copied the metric measurement and converted it to inches. From there I returned directly to this forum and made my response to "mgkwho'

Now I just returned to the MacBook site and I can't for the life of me find the original "one inch thin" phrase. In my defence, and admittedly it could be deemed rather suspect, Apple was updating its site all morning, and I may have been caught in the middle. However, if I perhaps had taken a breather after reading another inferred negative reference towards Apple and waited a while, I would have responded, true, but differently.
post #59 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

Nice updates. I own the first gen MacBook, but don't feel really bad about not having a Core 2 Duo.

Yeah I have a Crapbook and don't feel bad about not having a Core 2 Duo either. I do feel bad that I had send it back to fix the trackpad, then send it back to fix the superdrive, then send it back for the unexpected shutdowns.
post #60 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyutsuki

Fingers crossed for discrete graphics card option on the Santa Rosa MacBooks next year, or...

I think the MacBook (high-end) will get a discrete graphics card option after Leopard starts shipping on new Macs.
post #61 of 112
I just ordered the middle model, been waiting for this for the last month or so... it should arrive sometime between next Tuesday and the Tuesday after that, I guess I'll be crossing my fingers for two more Tuesdays, which is somewhat ironic since this update came on a Wednesday...

On a side note, I think upgrading the middle model to 1 gb standard is a brilliant (though predictable) move on Apple's part, since the only thing it needed (besides Core 2 Duo ) was more RAM. Count so far of people who wanted the old 2,0 GHz White Macbook but upgraded to 1 GB RAM: 3 (I'm including myself, since I was going to wait for the update, and upgrade the ram for my order). Count of anything else: 1 (that guy who bought a black Macbook).
post #62 of 112
Quote:

The MacBook spec site

tables the new MacBook to be 1.0 inches thick. And at the same time, lists it in centimeters for greater accuracy at 2.59 cm (which by the way is equal to 1.019685 inches). Therefore to round it off to the nearest tenth, the listing by Apple at 1.0 is correct. They obviously could have listed it to the nearest 100th, i.e., 1.02 inches, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that many would be able to relate to the difference.

What really irks me, is your demeaning attitude. It really isn't necessary to suggest that lying is involved. Except of course to your own comments.

I think the demeaning attitude was warranted here.

Look at the MacBook specs. Not MacBook PRO specs you cited...

Steve
post #63 of 112
Anyone with the current macbooks have problems with the keyboard interfering with the screen after awhile? Such as marks, scratches, ect. Just the magnetic latch makes it seem like the screen fits so close to the keyboard.
post #64 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_marauder

A better MB and a better Congress on the same day! Happy holidays! 8)

We'll see... all politicians suck - it's a f****** beauty contest for power control...
post #65 of 112
Quote:

The MacBook spec site

tables the new MacBook to be 1.0 inches thick. And at the same time, lists it in centimeters for greater accuracy at 2.59 cm (which by the way is equal to 1.019685 inches). Therefore to round it off to the nearest tenth, the listing by Apple at 1.0 is correct. They obviously could have listed it to the nearest 100th, i.e., 1.02 inches, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that many would be able to relate to the difference.

What really irks me, is your demeaning attitude. It really isn't necessary to suggest that lying is involved. Except of course to your own comments.

Sadly enough, too many people get off by using the word "lie".

It makes them feel better if something isn't exactly what it's said to be.

But, that's their problem.
post #66 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho

Well, I said kind of lying. I just couldn't think of a better word.

It's not a demeaning attitude, it is just the realization of marketing companies use.

Childish!

It doesn't get the point across.

You want to used loaded words, intentionally, because you think it will have an effect. It does, but not the one you want.

Did my first comment here give you the idea? I didn't have to say that either, but it has that same affect on you, as your comment did.
post #67 of 112
Quote:

Guys, do some research. Apple does it better than any other computer when it comes to product disclosure.

"Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g)(4); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module"

But, that's not always true.

Often, Apple doesn't mention a spec that they don't directly support. If they don't directly support "n", they might not list it.

The computer itself might show it under System Profiler, but sometimes, even there, it won't be found.
post #68 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by demenas

I think the demeaning attitude was warranted here.

Look at the MacBook specs. Not MacBook PRO specs you cited...

Steve

Did you not read my apology? And there was no reason for the demeaning attitude as first displayed,
post #69 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

But, that's not always true.

Often, Apple doesn't mention a spec that they don't directly support. If they don't directly support "n", they might not list it.

The computer itself might show it under System Profiler, but sometimes, even there, it won't be found.

If the don't mention a spec that they don't directly support, I would hope that they wouldn't list it.
post #70 of 112
I just convinced my friend and co-worker to buy one. Should arrive in a week or so.

The $1299 model is a very good deal.
Cat: the other white meat
post #71 of 112
Quote:

If the don't mention a spec that they don't directly support, I would hope that they wouldn't list it.

That's right, but my point is that it's often in the hardware.
post #72 of 112
Oh, I forgot to say this before:

So much for that Tuesday crap!
post #73 of 112
Still the glossy screen, still the 950 accelerator? Forgetaboutit... When is the intel graphics accelerator 950 getting a serious upgrade? I'm sure the technology can deliver some decent performance, but today it's just below what I'd say is decent enough. Too bad they don't have a build to order non glossy screen model.
post #74 of 112
I'm probably going to buy my first mac in the very near future, but I'm still undecided between the MBP and just plain MB. Could some kind person explain the real effect of the graphics card on the MBP versus the shared video memory on the MB? Would a MB with 2GB RAM be able to play video games? I don't anticipate video or photo editing, and I'm not a big gamer, but I do like the occasional round of Civ 4.

Sorry for an overlong first post, but a last question: I see refurb 15'' 1.83GHz MBPs for $1399 on the apple website... how would that compare to the Core 2 Duo MB in overall performance? Is that a good deal, or is getting on board with the Core 2 Duo the better choice? Thanks
post #75 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas

Still the glossy screen, still the 950 accelerator? Forgetaboutit... When is the intel graphics accelerator 950 getting a serious upgrade? I'm sure the technology can deliver some decent performance, but today it's just below what I'd say is decent enough. Too bad they don't have a build to order non glossy screen model.

The upgrade probably won't be until Intel starts shipping the chipset with the code name "Santa Rosa". That's not due out until Spring '07.
post #76 of 112
[QUOTE=palegolas When is the intel graphics accelerator 950 getting a serious upgrade? I'm sure the technology can deliver some decent performance, but today it's just below what I'd say is decent enough.[/QUOTE]

Spring.
post #77 of 112
how will the gma 950 handle leopard?
post #78 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor

I'm probably going to buy my first mac in the very near future, but I'm still undecided between the MBP and just plain MB. Could some kind person explain the real effect of the graphics card on the MBP versus the shared video memory on the MB? Would a MB with 2GB RAM be able to play video games? I don't anticipate video or photo editing, and I'm not a big gamer, but I do like the occasional round of Civ 4.

Sorry for an overlong first post, but a last question: I see refurb 15'' 1.83GHz MBPs for $1399 on the apple website... how would that compare to the Core 2 Duo MB in overall performance? Is that a good deal, or is getting on board with the Core 2 Duo the better choice? Thanks

Generally speaking, if you can foot the bill for the MacBook Pro, do it. You certainly get what you pay for, if not more. The integrated graphics aren't really that bad unless you are playing the latest action games. Mac OS X uses a lot of GPU power to do the screen drawing, so if Apple is willing to ship a product with integrated graphics, it means that integrated graphics are adequate for drawing all the graphics in the mac GUI and for apps like iPhoto. Probably also fine for Civ 4, although I've never played Civ 4 so I can't say.

Until today, the MBP was a better deal since for $2k you'd get 15.4" screen, more RAM, 2-layer DVD-R, bigger HD, sweet graphics board. The MacBook Core Duo would cost ~$1500 for the same basic specs minus the screen and the graphics board and the Core 2 (although I don't think there was a 2-layer DVD-R even available) Now, you can get a MacBook with all the same stuff as the $2000 MBP, aside from screen and graphics, for $1300.
post #79 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthiede

how will the gma 950 handle leopard?

Yes, it will.
post #80 of 112
Quote:

On the issue of rounding, 2.59 cm has three signicant digits therefore any conversion into inch should not be presented with more than three or four digits, i.e. 1.020 inches, everything beyond that is simply wrong.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates MacBook line with Core 2 Duo processors