or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ditches 'Mac Guy' in new ads

Apple ditches 'Mac Guy' in new ads

post #1 of 85
Apple Computer is preparing to film a series of new spots for its extremely successful "Get a Mac" national television campaign, but will do so without the help of 'Mac guy' Justin Long.

According to a report on RadarOnline, a representative for Long confirmed that the actor's days as an Apple pitchman are over.

"Every ad you see Justin in is for that previous time period only. There's no long-term deal with him," the rep said. "Justin's a movie star, not a commercial guy."

Over the years, Long has played roles in flicks such as "Dodgeball" and "Waiting..." He's currently filming "Live Free or Die Hard," where he trades in his squeaky-clean image in starring alongside Bruce Willis as a computer hacker trying to save the world from Internet-based terrorist.

Meanwhile, Radar reports that Apple's "Get a Mac" television campaign with push forth with other principals, director Phil Morrison and journo-humorist John Hodgman, both returning for another round of spots.

As for the reasons behind Long's dismissal, it's not exactly clear. But as the report points out, most people who've watched the "Get a Mac" ads come away "liking the 'PC guy' while wanting to push the 'Mac guy' under a bus."
post #2 of 85
i must agree..
mr. mac is quite annoying and mr. pc is friendly and happy.
maybe they'll switch mr. pc into mr. mac because he switched to mac??
i don't know but it kind of makes sense....
post #3 of 85
...everyone who's watched the "Get a Mac" ads "comes away liking the 'PC guy' while wanting to push the 'Mac guy' under a bus."

Not me...and thus the theorem is proved false.
post #4 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92

i must agree..
mr. mac is quite annoying and mr. pc is friendly and happy.
maybe they'll switch mr. pc into mr. mac because he switched to mac??
i don't know but it kind of makes sense....

Wow that would be a great twist i love it lol
post #5 of 85
Everyone whos seen these commercials wants to squish the Mac guy under a bus? Says who? Who is being brave enough to speak for the whole world? I'll tell ya what, Ill speak for me, mmmkay? I loved the Mac guy. I think if you think hes annoying, youre one of two things; 1.) a PC user, who hates Macs, or 2.) Just not bright enough to get the commercials message.

I say bring the Mac guy back, hes awesome in those commericals.
post #6 of 85
The PC guy is really nice. It's like you wanna help him, and take care of him. He's cute. In my part of the world that kind of a guy that the Mac guy is, is pretty lame and doesn't work. Maybe it works in the states... I dunno. I never liked the idea behind the whole campaign, but I liked the PC guy

I hope they come up with something better next time, and not like a super proud, stylized movie star model trying to act humble but really isn't. Instead they would be cooler off with something more down to earth, and not try to look so upper class all the time.
post #7 of 85
They should replace Justin Long with Dennis Haysbert:

PC: I'm a PC.
DH: And I'm a Mac.
~look of shock from PC for why the Mac has changed~
DH: Ya, we come in black now.

Probably not p.c. enough for the US audience. Oh, well.
post #8 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton

That's the best idea ever.
post #9 of 85
both are true, i like the PC guy, hes comic relief that you just cant hate, and i like the Mac guy because i know he stands for a good product...

i thought they worked decently together... i guess i can see how some people who dislike mac might dislike mac guy-- but as a guy who uses and generally likes both PC's and Macs (they both have advantages) i like both.
post #10 of 85
the mac guy should actually be a mac _girl_
post #11 of 85
Yeah the Mac guy is a lazy arrogant guy while the PC guy looks like the cute small brother of Mr.Gates.
post #12 of 85
i thought the Mac Guy was likeable. but introducing a Mac Girl seems like a plausible next step. but, have they even confirmed they PC Guy/Mac Guy campaign will continue? i'd more likely expect Apple to move to a new idea all together.
post #13 of 85
yes - I guarantee that the old PC is now a mac...guaranteed...
post #14 of 85
Quote:

you might like this then:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oc4oP_ITqMc
post #15 of 85
What they should do is have Colbert as the PC guy and have Stewart as the Mac guy. At least for one tv spot.
post #16 of 85
What's odd is, nearly everyone I know sees the ad and wants to push the Mac guy under a bus... and then get a Mac.

Go figure.
post #17 of 85
Quote:

That is the coolest idea I've ever heard!! Dennis Haysbert is the bomb, and that is All-State, STAN. Who the f--- is Stan??? Huh huh ... watch those commercials with your eyes closed and it sounds like God speaking. One thing's for sure, they shouldn't have shot him in 24. He was a good prez. Once whitey took over all hell broke loose.
post #18 of 85
I think Hodgman will play both characters now. That would have real impact.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #19 of 85
This is an easy one: Leopard comes out. New commercial.

PC: "Um. Excuse me? Have you seen my friend, Mac?"
Leopard: "Oh, hey PC. It's me. I got an upgrade."

*cue Vista joke*
post #20 of 85
i like the idea where:

The black guy walks in the room and...
the white mac says "who are you"
black mac "oh im a mac"
wm "but your...i mean ive never seen a..."
bm "Oh, i know, its just a skin, but im just like you"

where the commercial continues to talk about how the black macbook is better

while this is a clever commercial, it also secretly and positively addresses the topic of racism which i got a kick out of lol

heres the link

P.S. The joke at the end about the new blackbooks MAKES THIS WORTH WATCHING... it was hilarious
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesh

This is an easy one: Leopard comes out. New commercial.

PC: "Um. Excuse me? Have you seen my friend, Mac?"
Leopard: "Oh, hey PC. It's me. I got an upgrade."

*cue Vista joke*

Very excellent idea.

I do like the John Steward Colbert idea as well. Like the Will Farrel comercials.
post #22 of 85
I like the upgrade idea.
post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

...everyone who's watched the "Get a Mac" ads "comes away liking the 'PC guy' while wanting to push the 'Mac guy' under a bus."

Not me...and thus the theorem is proved false.

It says "most people", not "everyone". And thus you are proven to be quick to comment on something you haven't read correctly. Like most people here. And BTW, the original article says "most everyone".
post #24 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrillja

you might like this then:

May I just say that I have seen hundreds of parodies of the Mac vs PC ads on YouTube and elsewhere and not a single one of them has been funny. Note to YouTube video makers: You're not funny.
post #25 of 85
A humble proposal for the next Mac ad:

PC guy stands alone on the screen:
"Hi, I'm a PC."

Fantasy girl comes strolling in from stage right:

"Oh hi, I'm a Mac."
Mac girl smiles briefly at PC guy and walks off stage left.

PC guy is awestruck. Turns and looks into the camera:

"Wow! I'm getting a Mac!!!"
Runs off stage left:
"Hey wait up!!"
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #26 of 85
Who cares? Really? These ads were obnoxious, embarrassing, and conciously demeaning making me cringe to be a mac owner. Apple need to grow up and stop these 'mudslinging' ads.
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988

while this is a clever commercial, it also secretly and positively addresses the topic of racism which i got a kick out of lol

heres the link

P.S. The joke at the end about the new blackbooks MAKES THIS WORTH WATCHING... it was hilarious

Hmmm, I see that as more racist than anything else, with the corny 'bigger harddrive', 'run faster' jokes. I agree with the sentiment that 99% of youtube creators need to have their computer rights removed.
post #28 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha

May I just say that I have seen hundreds of parodies of the Mac vs PC ads on YouTube and elsewhere and not a single one of them has been funny. Note to YouTube video makers: You're not funny.

Why are you watching hundreds of these if they dont entertain you at all? You should probably find another hobby. Go run or something
post #29 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666

Hmmm, I see that as more racist than anything else, with the corny 'bigger harddrive', 'run faster' jokes. I agree with the sentiment that 99% of youtube creators need to have their computer rights removed.

Hopefully with Google behind the wheel, YouTube will shape up.

there was nothing rude about the "bigger harddrive" and "run faster" comments unless you are inferring they mean something. People need to stop being so touchy about racism, accept the problem and enjoy some nuetral, non attacking jokes on the subject that reflect positively on the situation.

but i definitely agree with you... YouTube jokes are often crap
post #30 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme

What's odd is, nearly everyone I know sees the ad and wants to push the Mac guy under a bus... and then get a Mac.

Go figure.

What? In the rush to get to the store? Or maybe they should push the Mac Guy under a bus...to promote AppleCare, coz you never know! (or maybe rewind it with TimeMachine)

Terrible ads & Apple selling the most Macs ever! Who'd have thought it?
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
Why does somebody ask me a question, I can never understand, I can never provide the answer, but believe I can.
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

the mac guy should actually be a mac _girl_

I thought he was! The Brazilian one - was there anyone else in that ad?
post #32 of 85
Quote:

Well, Macs do have minority appeal but maybe we need another angle. They never really promoted Bootcamp so maybe have Dennis cross-dressing to show the Mac can also go the other way - putting the 'Camp' into Bootcamp, or Nazi (y'know elitist minority) maybe in boots...

...Medic!!
post #33 of 85
Those ads make Mac users look smug and arrogant and while I somewhat enjoy Justin (or whatever his name is) as an actor, those ads made me embarrassed to use a Mac.
post #34 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988

Why are you watching hundreds of these if they dont entertain you at all? You should probably find another hobby. Go run or something

Well maybe I watched 3 and mathematically extrapolated the crapness. Did you think of that?
post #35 of 85
I like the current comericals. Mac girl could be intresting. If they showed how big of a variety of people use macs or something like that. They could cast famous people. What I enjoy out of the comericals the most is how simple they are. The messege they send out is so easy to understand, much like a mac. No flashy colors or things that look complicated. Yes, there should be a "Hey its me mac, i got some upgrades" when 10.5 comes out. Now im excited. lol
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
Get a matte screen cover and quit whining...glossy displays rock.
post #36 of 85
I looooved the "Ooh, look at me, I'm a movie star! I can't be caught doing commercials anymore!" tone of the article. Priceless.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 85
I think the message of the ad has been conveyed enough. They should bring back Think Different. That whole philosophy made me think differently.
post #38 of 85
They should make Christopher Walken the mac guy
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugodrax

They should make Christopher Walken the mac guy

and he should say... "i've got a FEVER... and the only cure... IS MORE COWBELL"
post #40 of 85
Justin (Mac Guy) was hella funny in Galaxy Quest. Especially towards the end when they have to deal with some hardcore geek that made an actual walkthrough of the ship to guide the actors on the *real* ship to find the core or somethin'.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple ditches 'Mac Guy' in new ads