or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MacBook snaps photos inside Apple repair depot

MacBook snaps photos inside Apple repair depot

post #1 of 45
What do you get when you write a script that instructs your MacBook to take a photo every time it wakes up from sleep, then send the notebook in for repairs? Photographs from the inside of one of Apple Computer's repair facilities.

That's exactly how things turned out for Flickr user OmegaStation. Using the Automator application that ships with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, he had written a small workflow script for his MacBook that instructs the built-in iSight cam to snap an image every time the notebook wakes up from sleep, then upload those images to a Flickr account.

Having forgotten about the script, the user at some point needed repairs done to his MacBook and shipped the notebook off to Apple. It was to his surprise when images began appearing on his Flickr account -- apparently from inside one of Apple's authorized repair facilities, Flextronics International in Tennessee.

Although OmegaStation has since removed or edited many of the photos due to privacy concerns (the cam snapped the faces of several Apple technicians), a few remain available:

The MacBook arrives at "Receiving" in Apple's Tennessee facility

An Apple tech examines Mr. MacBook (face disguised)

What has the MacBook caught? A rack of other 'borked' MacBooks?
post #2 of 45
right....i saw this on digg a while back, but is it really apple news that needs to be seen on appleinsider?
post #3 of 45
haha thats hilarious

I see apple are employing prison inmates to repair the MacBooks too.
It explains a lot!
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay_acharya

right....i saw this on digg a while back, but is it really apple news that needs to be seen on appleinsider?

We found it to be pretty humorous and felt others would get a kick out of it too -- not to mention that it offers a slight glimpse inside an Apple facility you otherwise wouldn't get to see. =P

Best,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper

We found it to be pretty humorous and felt others would get a kick out of it too -- not to mention that it offers a slight glimpse inside an Apple facility you otherwise wouldn't get to see. =P

Best,

K

yay for Kasper

(I be bored)
post #6 of 45
That is pretty funny.

I'm not sure how much the shades do to protect the tech's identity, though...
post #7 of 45
who IS Kasper??
post #8 of 45
My guess is that the 'borked' macbooks are actually just a bunch of trays on which they store them while being repaired... like to keep all the bits together, and probably to protect them a bit too
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserdrew

My guess is that the 'borked' macbooks are actually just a bunch of trays on which they store them while being repaired... like to keep all the bits together, and probably to protect them a bit too

sounds good
post #10 of 45
I, too, have imagined clandestine activities I could accomplish by exploiting the presence of a user's MacBook iSight cam.
To a dark place, this bundled iSight cam will take us.
post #11 of 45
That was terribly uninteresting.
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_without_a_pc

I, too, have imagined clandestine activities I could accomplish by exploiting the presence of a user's MacBook iSight cam.
To a dark place, this bundled iSight cam will take us.

the possibilities are endless....
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

That was terribly uninteresting.

I dunno, it interested you enough to post a comment.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams

Melgross is just trying to get over 10,000 posts.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #15 of 45
i like the glasses on the inmate in the second picture...
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92

who IS Kasper??

The "Friendly Ghost".
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams

If there were some interesting pictures, it would have been different.

But we have to let them know that these "articles" aren't interesting.

It's called feedback.
post #18 of 45
Blacking that guy's eyes out makes him look crazy, this place looks like the prision from Face Off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #19 of 45
Very cool! It makes me wonder of other possibilities we could emply our MB's for. Hmmm.....lemme think.
post #20 of 45
In the last picture, you can see what looks like the rumored iPhone, a 16-core MacPro, and a device with both a TiVo and Apple logo on it.
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

What do you get when you write a script that instructs your MacBook to take a photo every time it wakes up from sleep,

It seems obvious that this is a great way to help grab the guy that steals your computer. Or catch your mom when she checks your messages.

Could be embarrassing. However, I certainly would use it.

Perhaps someone could post his script.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408

In the last picture, you can see what looks like the rumored iPhone, a 16-core MacPro, and a device with both a TiVo and Apple logo on it.

post of the day
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
MBP 15" Unibody GHz 500GB 4GB
iPhone 3GS 16GB
iPod nano black fatty 8GB
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core

It seems obvious that this is a great way to help grab the guy that steals your computer. Or catch your mom when she checks your messages.

Could be embarrassing. However, I certainly would use it.

Perhaps someone could post his script.

excellent idea...and i think the script is posted on this guy's flickr site...in one of the bottom comments on the page...he explains how to use it.
post #24 of 45
Quote:

excellent idea...and i think the script is posted on this guy's flickr site...in one of the bottom comments on the page...he explains how to use it.

Here is the link to the script: http://www.flickr.com/photos/omegast...7594367266566/
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. X

Here is the link to the script: http://www.flickr.com/photos/omegast...7594367266566/

Thank you
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. X

that's what I meant...=D
post #27 of 45
The article got it (somewhat) right, but a lot of the replies didn't. These are NOT Apple employees and that is NOT an Apple facility. As they mentioned, it's Flextronics. Apple outsources to them for repairing their machines.
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
Ridiculous lucky captain rabbit king, lucky captain rabbit king nuggets are for the youth!
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo

The article got it (somewhat) right, but a lot of the replies didn't. These are NOT Apple employees and that is NOT an Apple facility. As they mentioned, it's Flextronics. Apple outsources to them for repairing their machines.

ohhhh
that's where we sent out troubled school ibooks....ahhh that makes sense now.
(now i feel stupid....)
post #29 of 45
How would the pictures have been uploaded? Basically, why would the repair depot have an open wireless network with wireless access? (or why would they connect the MacBook to a wired network before waking it up?) Does the automator script store the pictures and then upload them the first chance it gets, or can it only upload the picture right after it was taken?

Also why would the MacBook be opened in front of the rack of other MBs? It looks like it would be hard for a repair technician to see the screen that way...

I guess I'm somewhat skeptical of these pictures, sorry.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Beatson

How would the pictures have been uploaded?

I guess I'm somewhat skeptical of these pictures, sorry.

I think it just takes a picture and stores it. He got the pictures when his macBook came home. No upload necessary.

Skeptical eh? So he bought a warehouse, stocked it up, hired some inmates to stage these pictures? ;-)

Jp
post #31 of 45
Clearly this is a very slow news day.
post #32 of 45
I am definitely doing that when mine goes in for repairs. I may have it snap a picture every second while it is on. This is freakn' awesomely funny...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #33 of 45
No, no you guys got it all wrong. That is not a prisoner....it is Jean Reno from The Professional. He is the new "Mac Guy" for the upcoming commercials.

Kasper...thanks for posting I thought it was a interesting.
post #34 of 45
awesome, thanks a lot automator. now we finally know for sure that macbooks aren't fixed by oompa loompas, just jean reno clones with matrix black shades.
post #35 of 45
The repair site most likely has an open wireless for testing. It saves time not to have to log in while checking a unit. Also the Oompa Loompas have big fingers that are not very effective for working in small places like laptops. You only find them working on the Mac Pro's.
post #36 of 45
very exciting........
post #37 of 45
I actually think this is really cool, since you always think of your Mac going "out into the magical shipment logistics sphere that fixes your computer" instead of to a repair place. I never really had an idea of what one of those places would look like, I was expecting a smaller office-like environment.

Interested me.
post #38 of 45
Quote:

who IS Kasper??

Editor in-chief, AppleInsider.
post #39 of 45
Maybe now Apple will put little shutters on their isight cameras.

I have to say, the photos are a bit useless. The second pic could be of a sandwich trolley.

I think this kind of isight use should be restricted to the purpose of seeing naked women, not unshaven factory workers.

One thing I could see it being useful for is taking a picture of a thief who may have stolen the machine.
post #40 of 45
How long would it take an Apple certified tech to notice that the camera light is on?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MacBook snaps photos inside Apple repair depot