or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macworld San Francisco 2007
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macworld San Francisco 2007 - Page 2

post #41 of 257
Widescreen iPod
iPhone
iWork with new spreadsheet application
New Mac pros with top of the line model equipped with Blu-ray drive.

C'mon Apple,...gimme gimme gimme!
post #42 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #43 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Green

In Pages I'd like to see a feature allowing publishing of documents to a hard bound book just like we can do with iPhoto. Why is it that we can publish picture books but we can't publish books from Pages documents? This ought to be resolved.

If you wanted to do this now you could export your documents as a PDF then import them into iPhoto and send them off for printing. There are some little issues you'd have to resolve, and your book would be kinda wide, but it can be done.
post #44 of 257
iTV and a refreshed line of Macs capable of streaming content to it.

That's all I'm tuning in to see...credit card waiting...
post #45 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy

iTV and a refreshed line of Macs capable of streaming content to it.

That's all I'm tuning in to see...credit card waiting...

All new Mac's have 802.11n chips (worst kept secret in Apple's history, on purpose) capable of streming beautifully to iTV, and that functionality could possibly be unlocked with a software update, though I'm hedging my bets that you'll have to buy Leoaprd to get this without a hack. Don't care though cause I'll be getting Leopard anyway.

One thing that hasn't been talked about much lately is Apple's next Cinema displays:

Two things we just know, iSight's built-in for definite, and IR sensors built-in for definite. But,

1. How thin will they be?
2. What ports will they have?
3. What sizes will they come in?
4. Will they be height adjustable?
5. Will they have thinner bezels?
6. How much will they cost?
7. Will they have iMac-esque hidden speakers built-in under the display?

(not for the audio pro, but just for the general user who can afford one of those Mac Pro beasts).
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #46 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwidspawn

If you wanted to do this now you could export your documents as a PDF then import them into iPhoto and send them off for printing. There are some little issues you'd have to resolve, and your book would be kinda wide, but it can be done.

I appreciate the guidance for text-base book making through iPhoto. I'm not looking for a workaround for the problem, rather additional functionality in iLife 07 that would bring the book printing feature right to Pages. I know that printers are getting more and more advanced every year, yet I have not seen one that will take a text document and make it look as nice as a hard bound book composed in iPhoto. The text versions would have to allow for more pages to be printed, obviously creating thicker books, but printed text is cheaper than photos to imprint, so financially it shouldn't be that bad. It's just a feature I'd like to see brought to Pages that I know Apple wouldn't mess up.

As for all those people out there asking that Pages be more like a word processor, I'm fine with that, provided it doesn't lose any page layout functionality, or ease of use. I happen to like it just the way it is right now.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
post #47 of 257
I'm thinking a totally redesigned iMac (it's going to be what?? 3 years with the current design?) , iPod 6gen, iPhone, iTV, and just to tweak m$ and bill gates' nose, Leopard goes on sale that day.
post #48 of 257
Mike: The MacBook Pro gets first dibs.

MacBook Pro Details:
4-year-old design. The present design of the MacBook Pro was actually debuted at MacWorld in 2003.
Hard drive is not user replaceable like the MacBook
MacBook has a better latching convention
MacBook Pro has limited screen opening angle
MacBook Pro needs better displays
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #49 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755

Mike: The MacBook Pro gets first dibs.

MacBook Pro Details:
4-year-old design. The present design of the MacBook Pro was actually debuted at MacWorld in 2003.
Hard drive is not user replaceable like the MacBook
MacBook has a better latching convention
MacBook Pro has limited screen opening angle
MacBook Pro needs better displays

None of these are really high priority. Just little things that would be nice. There is really nothing wrong with the design of the MacBook Pro, and if you look at it over the past four years, it actually has changed quite a bit; It's just been silver the entire time. There is a big difference between design change and color my friend.
post #50 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

There is really nothing wrong with the design of the MacBook Pro

Ahem, that's a great matter of opinion, my friend. I take exception to the fact that I need to remove 18 screws and a half hour to disassemble most of the computer to get at the hard drive - just to replace it. That's just plain asinine, especially when its less expensive cousin, the MacBook, has a very easy to replace hard drive. It's really a kick in the teeth for all the money one spends on Apple's pro notebook that it has a mediocre screen that can be darker on one side and brighter on another, and has very limited viewing angles. Then to top it all off, the limited opening angle of the display makes it difficult to work with in certain circumstances; a limitation you'd be hard pressed to find on nearly any other notebook on the market. So with that, and the fact that it's a 4-year-old design that's past due for a radical overhaul, the time is right and frankly, it needs to be done.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #51 of 257
Just remember: This is Microsoft's biggest announcement in 5 years. Jobs and Apple won't want to give it to them easy.

Now's their chance to really blow people away. The more publicity they can suck away from Vista the better.
post #52 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755

Ahem, that's a great matter of opinion, my friend. I take exception to the fact that I need to remove 18 screws and a half hour to disassemble most of the computer to get at the hard drive - just to replace it. That's just plain asinine, especially when its less expensive cousin, the MacBook, has a very easy to replace hard drive. It's really a kick in the teeth for all the money one spends on Apple's pro notebook that it has a mediocre screen that can be darker on one side and brighter on another, and has very limited viewing angles. Then to top it all off, the limited opening angle of the display makes it difficult to work with in certain circumstances; a limitation you'd be hard pressed to find on nearly any other notebook on the market. So with that, and the fact that it's a 4-year-old design that's past due for a radical overhaul, the time is right and frankly, it needs to be done.

How often do you go about replacing hard drives? Something that should never happen (I understand that it does), hardly constitutes a design flaw that it is slightly more difficult to fix. Yes it could be done relatively easy, but its really not that big of a deal. I'm sure it will happen, it's just not a priority.

The MacBook Pro's screen has very good viewing angles, better than many laptops. The problem is that the screen does not tilt back as far is it should, but thats not viewing angles. But again, not a huge problem, as most people don't have their laptop open at a 170 degree angle.

And again, the MacBook Pro's screen is brighter than many others.
post #53 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advent

Just remember: This is Microsoft's biggest announcement in 5 years. Jobs and Apple won't want to give it to them easy.

Now's their chance to really blow people away. The more publicity they can suck away from Vista the better.

Yes, but if they are not ready, they are not ready. They won't release it just to be around the same time as Microsoft. It's hard to release an OS, might I remind you, when some "Top Secret" features haven't even been publicly beta tested. At MWSF, I except a lot of information about Mac OS X Leopard has Microsoft will be shipping windows within the month, and the information alone will steal Vista's thunder. Leopard probably won't be officially announced/released until Feb/March, possible April. Also might I remind you that with virtually all OS releases, it is announced at least 3-4 week prior to shipping.
post #54 of 257
How many times does a MacBook owner replace their hard drive? Probably not as much a MacBook Pro user might, yet they still have by far easier access than the pro user.

I have gone through three defective MacBook Pros. All three of them returned. I am not getting another one until they change the design. The viewing angle on the display is far more limited than you would lead one to believe. But more importantly, the quality of the display SUCKS. Uneven illumination. Sure it may be brighter...but brighter in one area. The whole thing really pisses me off quite frankly. How can you defend a notebook whose screen only opens 120°? I cannot think of another laptop with this degree of limitation. This and the extremely difficult access to the hard drive are major design flaws.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #55 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #56 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

Hmmm... you say the Macbook Pro doesn't go past 120˚ and yet you seem to imply the Macbook does. I could be wrong with this one but it seems my Macbook doesn't go past that mark either.

It opens slightly further because the hinge is closer to the top of the base where as the MBP's is lower. I think this hinge design is *very* limiting. The Titanium PowerBook despite hinges that would crack or break on some models, had a hinge that could go back the full 180° and had a user removeable hard drive.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #57 of 257
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755

How many times does a MacBook owner replace their hard drive? Probably not as much a MacBook Pro user might, yet they still have by far easier access than the pro user.

I have gone through three defective MacBook Pros. All three of them returned. I am not getting another one until they change the design. The viewing angle on the display is far more limited than you would lead one to believe. But more importantly, the quality of the display SUCKS. Uneven illumination. Sure it may be brighter...but brighter in one area. The whole thing really pisses me off quite frankly. How can you defend a notebook whose screen only opens 120°? I cannot think of another laptop with this degree of limitation. This and the extremely difficult access to the hard drive are major design flaws.

What do you do, drop your laptop? Assuming you treat your laptop properly, none should have failed. I know many people with MacBook Pro's and theirs haven't failed, I can't see why your's would fail at a rate three times greater.

The max hinge angle is NOT the max viewing angle; Get that straight. The maximum viewing angle is the angle for which you can view the screen at when you move yourself in any direction. When something has a 170 degree viewing angle (i.e. most camera LCDs advertise this) it means your eyes can be at a 170 degree angle with the flat surface of the LCD and still see the image on the LCD clearly. Hinge angle does not NEED to be greater than 120 degrees. Sure it is slightly limiting, but it is NOT a big deal, and can certainly not be classified as a "flaw".

Second, my sister's MacBook Pro LCD is very nice: evenly bright (and very bright), and might I remind you that theses screens are HD. I have no complaint with the screen itself.

About the hard drive... the comparison you are using is pointless. The purpose of a MacBook Pro is to stay working, so the fact that replacing the hard drive is hard(er) to do than the MacBook hardly constitutes a flaw. The hard drive shouldn't fail under the reasonable lifespan of the laptop, and on the occasion that it does, who cares about an extra 20 minutes of work? True they COULD make it easier to replace, but it is not a flaw that they haven't. Also, you probably don't know much of anything about laptop design, and my guess is that making the hard drive easily accessible in the MacBook Pro's current general design is very hard.
post #58 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #59 of 257
Why on earth would anyone need a display to tilt back more than 120°? If you're a very tall person in a tall chair with a short desk, maybe I can see it, but wouldn't that cause considerable neck strain anyway. I'd think such a person would seek some other kind of ergonomic adjustment. On your lap, I still don't see the need for any more than 120°. Seems like this is being argued just for the sake of arguing; not because it's a real issue.

Given that the MacBook Pro is due for a design update at some point, perhaps this would be addressed, but I wouldn't count on it. My guess is that Apple will shoot for lighter, cooler, faster and thinner well before worrying about screen angle.
post #60 of 257
In the future eventually.. Apple will have even simpler choices for their products, enabling buying one as easy as brushing your teeth. In particular notebooks. The Pro and consumer products will merge. You will have a choice of about two speeds (fast or very fast), 3 display size, materials (plastic or steel), and colors.

So when in a store you'll be shown 3 sizes, and you'll be asked what size you want. Then you'll be shown a few books in that size of different materials and colors, and asked what one you like. All the colored ones will be the same cost (he he), and the metal ones you will be told are more durable, but cost a little more. You wont choose the RAM as that will come in only one spec and wont be upgradable (it will be so high, that you'll never use it all). A few choices for GPU, depending on what you will be doing with your book, and what you may do with it in the future. Then you're done. They could call it the MacBook, and you choose what you want.

So then you could make your computer look pro or not, be big or small, be fast or very fast, be black, white or other colors you may want, be metal or plastic. You get what you want, cause you choose - from a list of high quality products in various powers, sizes or colors.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #61 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

How often do you go about replacing hard drives? Something that should never happen (I understand that it does), hardly constitutes a design flaw that it is slightly more difficult to fix. Yes it could be done relatively easy, but its really not that big of a deal. I'm sure it will happen, it's just not a priority.

The MacBook Pro's screen has very good viewing angles, better than many laptops. The problem is that the screen does not tilt back as far is it should, but thats not viewing angles. But again, not a huge problem, as most people don't have their laptop open at a 170 degree angle.

And again, the MacBook Pro's screen is brighter than many others.


icfireball - I can't say I agree with you here. I think we ought to be able to replace hard drives without having a technician do it. I have a MBP with a 100GB hard drive in it. I have less than 17GB free. I can't change out the hard drive because I'm over here in the Middle East and I'd have to be without my laptop for a month including shipping simply because Apple doesn't have user swapable hard drives. Just because YOU don't need to swap out your hard drive doesn't mean you speak for me or others. The MacBook has this feature and the new MBP had better have this feature. It IS a design flaw when the hard drive is the thing that fails most often (I've lost three in Pro Apple laptops). I hope you never have a hard drive fail because it sucks. I hope you never have one fail after the other. That sucks more. And I hope you never have them fail several hundred miles from the nearest city when you really need your laptop. EVERY pro computer Apple currently ships has hard drives that are easily swapped out, aside from one. The MBP MUST have this functionality. THose that don't use it won't worry about it. Those that NEED it, are willing to pay for that functionality.
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Reply
post #62 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

In the future eventually.. Apple will have even simpler choices for their products, enabling buying one as easy as brushing your teeth. In particular notebooks. The Pro and consumer products will merge. You will have a choice of about two speeds (fast or very fast), 3 display size, materials (plastic or steel), and colors.

So when in a store you'll be shown 3 sizes, and you'll be asked what size you want. Then you'll be shown a few books in that size of different materials and colors, and asked what one you like. All the colored ones will be the same cost (he he), and the metal ones you will be told are more durable, but cost a little more. You wont choose the RAM as that will come in only one spec and wont be upgradable (it will be so high, that you'll never use it all). A few choices for GPU, depending on what you will be doing with your book, and what you may do with it in the future. Then you're done. They could call it the MacBook, and you choose what you want.

So then you could make your computer look pro or not, be big or small, be fast or very fast, be black, white or other colors you may want, be metal or plastic. You get what you want, cause you choose - from a list of high quality products in various powers, sizes or colors.

balls!

have you seen the price of 16 Gigs of RAM?
post #63 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

balls!

have you seen the price of 16 Gigs of RAM?

eventually
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #64 of 257
.mac is dead.

.mac merger with google announced.

Full Integration with Address book, iCal, iWeb, iChat, Mail and TimeMachine

All services integrated with iPhone. (iSynk)


Free.
post #65 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton

.mac is dead.

.mac merger with google announced.

Full Integration with Address book, iCal, iWeb, iChat, Mail and TimeMachine

All services integrated with iPhone. (iSynk)


Free.

Exactly what I'd love to see. A dot mac account would be Google's free services on a little Apple style 'roids plus a little extra storage.

And I dont understand why all the people waiting on a spreadsheet app arent already using Google's online spreadsheet. Its free. And unless you just have to have charts then it is just as good and doesnt take up any hd space and is accessible everywhere.

Google is already beta testing iCal to be Sync compatible. Those Mac devs at Google are up to some cool stuff.
post #66 of 257
iWork 07
-Pages Update - lets you choose between Word Processor and Layout View, has Index
-Keynote Update - Text Styles, OPML import, more robust Powerpoint export, and other stuff
-New Database app with strong spreadsheet flavor
-Support for Open Document and (MS) OpenXML formats (both are supported by TextEdit in Leopard builds)
- Much improved vector drawing support in all apps.
- Localization: more languages supported.
post #67 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

Hmmm... you say the Macbook Pro doesn't go past 120? and yet you seem to imply the Macbook does. I could be wrong with this one but it seems my Macbook doesn't go past that mark either. Or if it does then not by very much because 170? is almost entirely flat. Why the hell does anyone need it open that much?

Well, if you have a 20" long neck it sure would help.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #68 of 257
-Sales/ego booster (we will enslave the human race)
-Leopard Preview which runs flawlessly, demonstrates new video iChat and calls up Balmer to tell him he sucks, Jobs moons Balmer. Hysteria in crowd.
-iLife updates with uber crazy things, comes with remote with "COMMAND" and "Z" function
-iTunes (new version released), iTMS now features adult films
-iWork 07 with lotsa updates, cool features, will remove and destroy Office upon installation
-iPod HiFi reduced to a mind-blowing $299, now comes in black and brown
-MBP update - new feature with anti-theft shocking device, delivering 3,000,000 volts to the would-be thief as well as taking snapshot of thief and wirelessly transmitting it to your cellphone/email/local authorities

One more thing: iPhone.
post #69 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

-MBP update - new feature with anti-theft shocking device, delivering 3,000,000 volts to the would-be thief as well as taking snapshot of thief and wirelessly transmitting it to your cellphone

so you can laugh as they die
post #70 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #71 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

*sigh*
They are 2 VERY different companies. They imply a lot but they are not going to be joining Google Accounts with dotMac and truth be told I'd be pissed if they did.

I have used their Spreadsheet App and the only reason I would use a Spreadsheet App is to make a chart. GS is useless to me. So I mostly just stick with Docs until iWork 07 comes out.

And for the last time, THERE IS NO GOOPLE/AGGLE/GAPPLE/GAGGLE!!!

I'm going to put a gun to Steve Jobs's head and make him do it now, just to prove u wrong

Seriously though, whether its in the work or not, Apple could benifit a lot from a partnership with google. Especially with gootube (google video), and built in iSight cameras on practically every important Apple product

Additionaly, .Mac is practically dead. And for any Diggnation viewers on these forums, you might remember their comentary on apple moving in interesting directions with regard to windows compatiability. Having Mac users and WIndow users on the same service would be a big, and probably necersery step in that direction.

EDIT: And I'm gonna burn for a lot of those comments, I can tell already
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
Reply
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
Reply
post #72 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #73 of 257
One thing about Google. They wont let Apple make money by using their tools. They are pretty devout when it comes to free access. But Google's presence on the board of directors has to manifest somehow.

I really expect there to be some sort of show of that at MacWorld. I think we'll get an idea of where this is going. I'm looking forward to that as much as the hardware stuff. Especially seeing how a Blue-Ray Mac Mini + iTV console has to be a year or two off still.
post #74 of 257
integration / collaboration doesn't mean one will take over the other when it comes to google and apple.

keep that in mind.

-=|Mgkwho
post #75 of 257
Ok, here is where I see MWSF07 going in January:

1) Recap of what happened during the Christmas buying season. This season appears to be really good for Apple, and to mention it will drive that point home.
2) iTunes+iPod. They may announce an iTunes major update, but it will not be to a 8.0, I think it might go to 7.1 or 7.5.
3) iTV. They will announce when it will become available (I think probably Feb 07). Steve already said that they were going for the price-point of $299. I think that they will also announce that it will have a hard-drive in it, with the ability to add more drives to increase space. That seems to be the only real way to handle this problem, without having another computer running and trying to stream all at the same time.
4) Leopard. He will show more consumer-oriented reasons as to get Leopard. They will go into the iCal additions, the new Mail.app, Safari, and the new stuff with iChat. They will show what the Resolution Independence will mean to the end consumer, and offer more about what Time Machine is and how it can be used. I think it will go on sale in Feb 07 as well.
5) iWork/iLife. There is a lot that can happen in here. I think that iPhoto has come a long way, and probably performance issues will be addressed. GarageBand and iMovie also will get some minor tweaks to it, I can't think of what else it might need. However, iWeb will have a major overhaul in how it renders things. I think it will be more CSS compliant, and won't be using images for everything. I also think they will allow for people to upload to any server they want, not just .Mac accounts.
iWork needs some major help, especially in the Pages area. There needs to be some performance boosting done to this application. I think they will also release Numbers, the spreadsheet alternative to Excel. I also think that they may make a database application, utilizing either SQLLite or MySQL (probably MySQL for the performance and standardization aspects of it). If they do make a database application, it will have to be easy to use, and hopefully without the need of using archaic command-line sentences to get at your data. Of course, all of the iWork applications will have access to the iLife side of the house and visa-versa.
6) The death of the .Mac. I think with the Google collaboration they will do away with this paid service, and offer it for free. OR they will keep the paid service for the full version of it, but have a free version (via Google) that will have mail and web presence.
7) One More Thing: iPhone. This phone will not be tied to a particular carrier. You will be able to buy the SIM cards from Apple directly. Using either the data-streaming from the phone itself, or if you are near a WiFi access, you can buy iTunes right from your phone. It will be running Leopard-Lite, so it will look just like your Mac some of the functionality built right in. It will also have Bluetooth capabilities, so you can sync your Address Book, iCal, and iTunes from your phone. Some are saying it will have a camera in it, I am thinking video camera. This might be the first phone to have integrated Video Chat via iChat. All of this for $299 - $399.

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply

-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Fanatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027

Reply
post #76 of 257
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #77 of 257
Probably time for this!



Or not- who knows- it's been too long!

BENj
post #78 of 257

delete


Edited by mgkwho - 1/2/13 at 8:23am
post #79 of 257
I'm with Mgkwho, they seem fairly realistic!
post #80 of 257
MMkay...

SJ will recap christmas season, gloat about ipod sales figures, make thinly veiled joke about the Zune, progress reports on Leopard, not actual release, blahdy blah...

Things we will PROBABLY see:

My Nostradamus side predicts: New Cinema Displays (about bloody time too), possibly a new 19" widescreen low end, this seems to be becomeing standard for new WS's.

More details, if not actual release of iTV. (anyone else think this might be a mac mini replacement? Just putting it out there)

Price drops on the Macbooks. These are too expensive for a consumer notebook. The ibooks started about $250AUD cheaper, and before you yell student discount, not everyone is a student, and even if they are, you have to be a student at a participating school. Which I'm not, so I'd like a price drop

Things we MIGHT see:

iPhone, again, details if not release. If this isn't released, they may well do a special event not shortly after, given rumors about it entering manufacture.

Video ipod would be asking a bit much, given three major releases already predicted. Unless they decide to do iPhone and Video iPod at a seperate 'Special Event'

Gamers Mac: This is on the less likely of the mights, but I did hear a rumor somewhere about a mid tower, aimed at gamers and more advanced computer users. You know, the people that might actually open their tower sometime. This would be nice, and is the 'headless' mac that everyone on these forums at least seems to lust for, but I doubt we will see it. The only reason it's with the mights is becuase what would Macworld be without a Mac announcement?

New Apple website design, probably a briefer mention, as it doesnt really concern consumers.

.Mac updates.

New Mac Pro (the octo core, probably no major exteriour case redesign, apple seems to like what they have atm) Doubtful, but again where would Macworld be...

Things we WONT see:

Macbook/Pro redesigns. It's not gonna happen, get the f*** over it.

iMac redesign Not gonna happen, much as I hate the current case for its overly consumerish look, and lack of easy expandability (these things are a BITCH to get open), its not gonna happen.

Microsoft/Apple merger. Just to give you an idea of how very unlikely the above two are
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
Reply
I DONT trust your haircut.

MBP 13"/22" 2.26ghz/2gb/160gb/7400M.
Windows 7 24"/2.00ghz/2.5gb/250gb/9800GT.
Ubuntu 10.04 Dell Latitude D620.
Xbox 360 Projector
WHS 2.5tb.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macworld San Francisco 2007