or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What will iLife '07 be like?

What will iLife '07 be like?

post #1 of 35
What do you think? Apple always seems to evolve a great deal each time it releases one of its yearly iLife suites... what do you think will be added this year? You don't have to post about the whole suite, or limit yourself to one app/feature either. Write as little or as much as you want, and make your prediction.

Personally (and randomly), I'd like to see a feature in iPhoto where you can easily tag your photos (kinda like memory miner or facebook). It'd be great to be able to just search for a name or something. There is a system for adding text info to your photos in place now, but it's inconvenient; Apple can make it better.

Ideas anyone?
post #2 of 35
From what I have read, Pages will have two environments, word processing and desktop publishing. There will also be a new spreadsheet app, but it won't do all the hardcore number crunching that Excel does. That would be fine with me as all I use Excel for is creating forms.

[Edit] Dopey me! flinch13 asked about iLife, not iWork.
post #3 of 35
flinch13 was asking about iLife, not iWork. What you said about pages was interesting though.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch13

Personally (and randomly), I'd like to see a feature in iPhoto where you can easily tag your photos (kinda like memory miner or facebook). It'd be great to be able to just search for a name or something. There is a system for adding text info to your photos in place now, but it's inconvenient; Apple can make it better.

Tried Keyword Assistant?
post #5 of 35
I'd like to see iphoto get free form drawing capabilities and become like an iphoto+ms paint mix. I'd to be able to really resize images in photo instead of just cropping.

I'd like imovie to have photobooth effects become new filters for it so I could deform movies Ive shot and stuff.

I'd like to be able to view and edit and add html to iweb if I want.

That's all I can think of right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Tried Keyword Assistant?

Hmm... this is interesting.. thanks!

And btw. thanks for your opinions, guys. Keep 'em coming!
post #7 of 35
We'll be sure to see the blue-screen features of Leopard's iChat in iMovie.

I sure as hell hope there are some improvement to iWeb.

I've got a wild guess, too: Some type of animation application. Kind of an iMovie but to make your own Pixar movies.
post #8 of 35
I would like to see iLife become part of Leopard, and iWork too.

There's too many diffirent bundles of software that tie together well, there's no need to seperate them. Steve said at this years WWDC that Leopard would be the "complete package", and IMO Leopard wouldn't be "complete" without iWork and iLife bundled in. Frankly I don't care if we have to wait until March or April, but I strongly believe Mac OS X.5 Leopard should be sold for $129 with iLife '07 and iWork '07 built-in. I know a few people who have Tiger, but still have iLife '05, and very few have iWork. If they truly want to show of the true potential to all non-Mac users, and allow Mac users to unlock their Mac's true potential, they must do this. It makes too much sense to be wrong IMO.

I also believe that if they do this, they should stop selling iLife and iWork as separate products. They should be part of the OS. They should keep .Mac separate though, but they should lower the damn price. All these things would have a HUGE impact of the Mac IMO, and would faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarr outweigh the miniscule losses they would occur for a brief period while this thing kicks in. If .Mac was $29, Leopard was $129, and iLife and iWork were bundled with the OS, there would be a huge amount of people in the same situation, a very good situation, and I would bet my life that this would lead to an exponential halo effect. I hope to God that Apple sees what I see, cause it's very clear to me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 35
Support IPTC. Allow me to easily add photos to a film roll. Stop creating duplicates of my photos in the modified folder.
post #10 of 35
Although not a perfect match, some of the ideas here-- blue screen, PhotoBooth type deformation effects for iMovie, animation- suggest to me the opportunity for a consumer version of Motion (or Shake, I guess, but I don't see how you get any of that into a consumer app).

Look at the FPC suite-- all the pro apps have iLife analogues except Motion (FPC/iMove, DVDSP/iDVD, Soundtrack/Garage Band).

Motion graphics are probably a harder sell in the consumer space, people aren't used to mucking about with video beyond editing and basic effects, but then they weren't used to mucking about with video or multi-track recording before iMovie and Garage Band.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Support IPTC. Allow me to easily add photos to a film roll. Stop creating duplicates of my photos in the modified folder.

I know, right? that is THE most annoying part of iPhoto

Quote:
There's too many diffirent bundles of software that tie together well, there's no need to seperate them. Steve said at this years WWDC that Leopard would be the "complete package", and IMO Leopard wouldn't be "complete" without iWork and iLife bundled in. Frankly I don't care if we have to wait until March or April, but I strongly believe Mac OS X.5 Leopard should be sold for $129 with iLife '07 and iWork '07 built-in. I know a few people who have Tiger, but still have iLife '05, and very few have iWork. If they truly want to show of the true potential to all non-Mac users, and allow Mac users to unlock their Mac's true potential, they must do this. It makes too much sense to be wrong IMO.

I also believe that if they do this, they should stop selling iLife and iWork as separate products. They should be part of the OS. They should keep .Mac separate though, but they should lower the damn price. All these things would have a HUGE impact of the Mac IMO, and would faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarr outweigh the miniscule losses they would occur for a brief period while this thing kicks in. If .Mac was $29, Leopard was $129, and iLife and iWork were bundled with the OS, there would be a huge amount of people in the same situation, a very good situation, and I would bet my life that this would lead to an exponential halo effect. I hope to God that Apple sees what I see, cause it's very clear to me.

well, it sounds like a good idea, but they should also sell it separately because what if a new iLife comes out before a new OS comes out? just a free update? Apple would loose a lot of money that way IMO. also, i know quite a few people still using panther and maybe wont upgrade to leopard. so what then, are they stuck with iLife 06? maybe bundled with the OS and separately sold would work, but i still think it would be a loss of income. at least it comes free with the new computers though
post #12 of 35
I remember when everything in iLife was free except iDVD which only came with Mac's with DVD-R drives!

If you ask me the suite is getting a little complicated but then again I haven't really used it enough lately.

It would be nice if iPhoto had some kind of text tool to write on the photos. Built in support for watermarking should seem obvious. Beyond that, I would think they would add CoreImage effects to iMovie. CoreAnimation effects would be cool in some new Shake line consumer oriented program but that would not be coming until at least iLife 08 (just kidding!).
post #13 of 35
iPhoto
  • tighter integration with Aperture.
iMovie
  • Improvements to exporting video (i.e. YouTube, Google, iTunes, etc)
  • ability to add ID3 information to video
iWeb
  • publish directly to a non .mac web site.
  • add non-iWeb pages to navigation menu
post #14 of 35
Ireland: Word. I'm not made of money. I feel like Apple would make more money selling "the complete package", as more people would be interested in buying it. You've got to appeal to the bulk of the people, and most people aren't really going to be freakishly prompt about updating their software. When their computer doesn't do what they want, they get a new one. If Leopard comes with everything, more people will want it. Besides, software isn't like hardware... granted, there are developers working hard on it, and they deserve to get paid, but seriously now... software isn't real. There are no manufacturing costs or raw materials besides a disc or two, and shipping isn't really that big of a deal. It could even be completely free, given an internet connection that could handle it and the creation of a bootable disk of some kind. But what can I say. Who knows what will come. Freaks like me will buy it anyway, even if the price stays sky high.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthiede

Also, i know quite a few people still using panther and maybe wont upgrade to leopard.

Well if what I suggested happens, and the guys/gals you know that are using Panter want iLife '07, then they will know what to do wont they! Steve might say, "now you've no reason to be stuck on Panter, for $129 you'll be propelled into the modern age, with all the accesories to handle it".

edit: I saw an awful spelling mistake.
post #16 of 35
There are only 2 things iLife doesn't have that I really want. The first is the ability to add different layers of elements to put on top of video in iMovie. I'd like very much to be able to put pieces of video, images, and maybe some animation on top of videos, but sadly I'm limited to text and some effects.

Second, I wish iWeb could publish to other sites, specifically Geocities. It's a pain in the neck to export my site, upload with Cyberduck, only to find something went wrong and having to enjoy the process all over again. It would also be SWEET if iWeb were able to be tied into eBay. I use iWeb for my high price listings to add some pizzaz but the aforementioned process of creating in iWeb and uploading to Geocities sucks and is time consuming. But, I suppose the main idea behind iWeb is to get you to buy .Mac.
post #17 of 35
iWeb - needs to have better custom page layouts. this NEEDS to happen. i would much prefer to use iWeb than frontpage to present some of my coursework on. it just looks more clean and professional, thanks to apple, and presentation counts.
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #18 of 35
iPhotos

-Easier way to change dates on pictures that may of been wrong on the camera.
-Easier way to add information to pictures like, grandparents, sister, cousin and things like that.

iMovie

-Needs easier navigation.
-Clearer words for the screen, I have been using iMovie for over a year now and I must be doing something wrong or there is something wrong with iMovie. Adding text to the movie look blurry all the time. Any suggestions or does everyone else have the same problem.

iWeb

-Apple already has pre-made web pages. I would like them to add all the graphics and picture gallery to iWeb so that we can make on out of scratch. Allow us to mix and match the different pre-made web pages.
-I would also like to see iWeb allow for voting on the web site. I have a family website and I could put up trivia questions for the family members.

I agree with bundling iLife and iWorks. That would beat MS because they have so many application to choose from that are expensive and are never pre-loaded into the computer. Apple could take a lead in this. .Mac could come down in price that would be so cool. iChat is awsome but you have to have a .Mac account and it is not that affordable. I have an account but I would like some of my family to get it but it is too costly.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by machappy

iChat is awsome but you have to have a .Mac account

not true, ive had my trial account for 6 months now

so much for 60 days....
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by machappy

iChat is awsome but you have to have a .Mac account and it is not that affordable. I have an account but I would like some of my family to get it but it is too costly.

You do not. iChat works with a free AOL AIM account, or any number of free Jabber servers.

Also, go sign up for a free .Mac trial account, and you get to *keep* your .Mac ID for use with iChat even if you don't sign up at the end of the trial period.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

You do not. iChat works with a free AOL AIM account, or any number of free Jabber servers.

Also, go sign up for a free .Mac trial account, and you get to *keep* your .Mac ID for use with iChat even if you don't sign up at the end of the trial period.

Thanks guys I didn't know that. Thanks Again.
post #22 of 35
I found out the hard way that .Mac in iChat is just AIM with a .Mac ID. At least Leopard will have Multiple Logins to fix that though...
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #23 of 35
iWeb: it would be really nice to see a few new features on iweb.

1. If there could be an option to combine all of the background layers into one layer
(ie: a function to flatten the web page graphically.)

2. it would also be nice if the html generator could generate a more simple web url.
for example: the current url looks like this-
www. myneatsite .com/my%neat%site/my%neat%site/home%page.html

is it possible to simplify to-
www. myneatsite .com ??

3. more customizable auto functions. like choose your own font/color for a hyperlink, as well as the navigation bar.

4. umm... oh yeah! and a shadow for the content page to make it stand out over the background.

Hey thanks for listening!

DI
post #24 of 35
http://www.mac.com/yourname/yoursite

That's the shortest they will ever make the URL, if even.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009

There are only 2 things iLife doesn't have that I really want. The first is the ability to add different layers of elements to put on top of video in iMovie. I'd like very much to be able to put pieces of video, images, and maybe some animation on top of videos, but sadly I'm limited to text and some effects.

Again, I think that functionality would properly be part of some kind of "iMotion" companion to iMovie.

Even FPC doesn't try to do compositing in-app, trying to roll that into iMovie would be way to complex for what iMovie wants to be.
post #26 of 35
iMovie: Dynamic keying (ala new iChat): 1-pass instant "preview" renders for the time line playback and really slick 2-pass take-your-time type final renders.

iTunes: SPEED...faster, more flexible and customizable UI, new features for whatever store/ipod/itv crap ships

Front Row: Remote, Wi-Fi TV tuner Access (rumor has it that the iTV will have cable card...why not watch that ballgame on the laptop in the kitchen while we get snacks for the game...or watch the news on the deck with morning coffee...)

iDVD...hmmm...not much to do...maybe some work flow tweaks...

iPhoto: FASTER...hopfully they have learned something from the development of Apature that will help iPhoto get faster...and maybe some non-iweb integration...maybe Flicker or Google Picasa Web Albums for those of us already in with those services who like to share back and forth with PC users who use Picasa.

Garage Band...Maybe a video track for tuning/scoring "Vid Casts" or really fine-tuning the audio in your home movies...and a Hiss/pop/noise filter to help those who want to pull their records and audio cassettes into the ipod century.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
..and maybe some non-iweb integration...maybe Flicker or Google Picasa Web Albums for those of us already in with those services who like to share back and forth with PC users who use Picasa.

Try This
or This
post #28 of 35
What are the chances that iMovie and iDVD go 64bit? Would that speed up rendering?
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksbrain

What are the chances that iMovie and iDVD go 64bit? Would that speed up rendering?

Unlikely, perhaps slightly.
post #30 of 35
Apple needs to integrate Keyword Manager into iPhoto.
post #31 of 35
I'd like to see iWeb automatically make photos smaller when I drag-and-drop them into a webpage rather than me having to do it manually. I'd like to save some space in my .mac account.
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchorn25

I'd like to see iWeb automatically make photos smaller when I drag-and-drop them into a webpage rather than me having to do it manually. I'd like to save some space in my .mac account.

I'd like to not have to Resize them if they are automatically resized to a smaller size...

Sebastian
post #33 of 35
iLife won't be 64-bit ready for the sole reason that Leopard will still not have shipped yet.

iLife '07 must absolutely make use of CoreData...or I won't be buying iLife '07. A small request that can make a huge impact on performance and the way we can organize pictures and music. Apple, get on the fuckin' ball. Jeebus H.
post #34 of 35
A friend just tipped me off that there are new Garageband downloads in .Mac. It's called the .Mac Podcast Track, and includes quite a few downloads...

Alternative Rock
Blues
Cinematic
Country
Electronic
Jazz
Rock and pop
Urban
Voice Over
World

Perhaps new Jam Packs are on the way?
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

Well if what I suggested happens, and the guys/gals you know that are using Panter want iLife '07, then they will know what to do wont they! Steve might say, "now you've no reason to be stuck on Panter, for $129 you'll be propelled into the modern age, with all the accesories to handle it".

edit: I saw an awful spelling mistake.

Gary Panter is included in iLife '07?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What will iLife '07 be like?