or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zune incompatible with Windows Vista
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zune incompatible with Windows Vista - Page 5

post #161 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Neither has happened in this country in over a century that I remember, so I really don't see your point. If your point is that people hold grudges for excessive lengths of time to and by people that are long-dead, then I grant that. Hell, taking offense isn't logical either.

I realized right off the bat that you didn't see my point.

And none of this is flaming. It is about caring and respecting. The only reason I keep this up is that it has become so pc to be anti-pc now. Of course no one should hold grudges for excessive lengths of time, but people do for a reason. Do you know the reason? Answer this question first: If 80% of the US population is white and roughly 80% of those taking illegal drugs are white, why are 80% of those convicted of drug crimes in prison black? When you answer this question, you can begin to understand that power and discrimination are not just something that happened in the 1950's.

I am not being overly sensitive in saying this. I'm not being pc in saying this. Treating people with respect is not being anti-white. To say that the problem was invented by white liberals at Berkeley, is to see the mote in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in your own.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #162 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Why are you out to flame me dude? I wasn't looking to AI for religious instruction. I got that already at my university.

And I see no problem with describing Native American religions as a mish mosh, because that's exactly what they were. Different tribes believed different things, hence, a mish-mosh.

Well I wasn't faming you, I was pointing out the oversimplification of calling something "Native American Tribal Religions" and "mish-mosh/mash" that really doesn't mean anything. And actually many different tribes believed very similar things and in no way were they a mish mash.

And then I offered a website to further the discussion for those who cared. Sorry you thought I was flaming you.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #163 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Historically, "Westerner" has never been used pejoratively.

Not in local slang though. Depends. In some Asian Countries they are referred to as "orang putih" (white people) which can be used perjoratively. They could be referred to as "Ang Moh" (white ghost) which can be used perjoratively. In Singapore/Malaysia some Chinese-ethnicity people call Eurasians (Half Caucasian-Half Asian) "chap cheng" which AFAIK means something like "mixed sperm"... Funnily enough in Singapore sometimes at high school Chinese-ethnic kids used to call the Indian-ethnic kids "niggers", including myself, who is Half-Chinese-ethnic/ Half-Indian-ethnic. I am sometimes referred to as "Chindian" which I take as a nice way of putting things though. Being called a "nigger" sometimes is not fun when in high school, especially when it is obviously soo totally out of context and just plain stupid. Although it can be cool trying to be all hip-hop-cool when my friends (white, hispanic, whatever) and I in University in Australia called each other sometimes "My Nigga".....

THIS WORLD IS FREAKIN' CONFUSING MAN!!!!!
post #164 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

Because your family were never slaves in this country or shanghai-ed to build railroads ... just a guess. Both "cracker" and "colored" may arise from derogatory intent, but one still is in power and the other still is oppressed to some extent if mostly historically. There is no symmetry to your arguemnt, thus your example is not logical or accurate.

Can we please stop making comparisons to blacks? As if any group could claim comparison without being ridiculously insulting. The only asian group who ever had to put up with anything remotely comparable to what blacks were put through were the Japanese-Americans, and that was for four years, not 400.

"Shanghai-ed to build railroads"? Please. There's a huge difference between people brought here against their will as slaves, and people who came deliberately of their own volition to find work, and got (shitty) work. The Chinese are hardly unique in having come to the U.S. and been subjected to discrimination in the workplace. The Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese all came at different times and under different circumstances. The Irish and Italians had to put up with their share of shit. Hell, if you go back far enough, even English and Dutch once came here as indentured servants (I wonder, when did the statute of limitations on their "victimhood" end)?

In any case, I've yet to see anything in history that would cause one to see "oriental" in the same light as "nigger" or even "colored". I can think of plenty indelicate terms and outright slurs used for East Asians in this country, but "oriental" isn't even on the radar.
post #165 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

In any case, I've yet to see anything in history that would cause one to see "oriental" in the same light as "nigger" or even "colored". I can think of plenty indelicate terms and outright slurs used for East Asians in this country, but "oriental" isn't even on the radar.

Many Asian Americans were discriminated against in the US. Just because you aren't aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Besides this, there are many other countries were previously, Asians were that countries "Black".

Actually, most people don't know this, but when the Irish came to the US a long time ago, they were thought of (literally) as Black, even though they had very fair completion. They overcame this by discriminating against other groups of people, hence the typical "angry Irish".
post #166 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssespdx

oh sh*t, this is so funny i can hardly type.

Buying Microsoft products is like shopping at Wal-Mart--at five times the price.

no way...walmart is custermer focused and has the best return policy. all this means is ms is completely clueless let's count the ways

no vista--must not be important

alienates all the wmp downloads

brown brick--do i have to say more

brick---no style

3day 3 try sharing whooop de do

how did this company get soooooo big

any other company on a major product intro did this and layers of management would be fired with the cobra finger of trump

maybe they did this to become foder for harvard business school freshmen study guide

all the pseudo-hype just shows how most newswire pundits don't know sh--t from shinola (sorry shinola...at least you added shine style and could be shared)
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #167 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

Many Asian Americans were discriminated against in the US. Just because you aren't aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Besides this, there are many other countries were previously, Asians were that countries "Black".

Actually, most people don't know this, but when the Irish came to the US a long time ago, they were thought of (literally) as Black, even though they had very fair completion. They overcame this by discriminating against other groups of people, hence the typical "angry Irish".

like italians...my grandparents couldn't get work till they moved to a different
neighborhood now this is early 1900's but lets keep on subject
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #168 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

Can we please stop making comparisons to blacks? As if any group could claim comparison without being ridiculously insulting. The only asian group who ever had to put up with anything remotely comparable to what blacks were put through were the Japanese-Americans, and that was for four years, not 400. In any case, I've yet to see anything in history that would cause one to see "oriental" in the same light as "nigger" or even "colored". I can think of plenty indelicate terms and outright slurs used for East Asians in this country, but "oriental" isn't even on the radar.

You missed my point brilliantly by assuming I'm comparing any particular race to any other! I in now way equate "oriental" to "nigger" or any other word. And I didn't rate any races justification for passed injustices over any others ... if I had, Native Americans would be up there somewhere. So stop getting upset at the superficial part of the discussion.

The REAL distinction in my opinion between the use of any descriptor of a race, class, gender is partially based upon intent and partially based upon context. You can not always assume a person's intent, but you can agree on the context. That was my point with the examples.

Some very nice people in my family are of an age where "oriental" and for a few "colored" are not considered to be slurs at all, let alone major slurs. That is the terminology that they grew up with and as I've seen, they return to it when they get older and less self-conscious. They know that times have changed for the N word and for "colored" because that has been on TV for a long time. The times have changed for the term "oriental" as well, but it hasn't been nearly so high profiled for the reasons you legitimately stated (even to people here who spend hours on the internationally spanning WWW), but it is a matter of importance in our globalized world, to educate ourselves and it is incumbent upon everyone to show respect where it is deserved. That is all I am saying. This isn't comparison discrimination or reverse-discrimination. It is about respect and being informed about context. Just because "oriental" isn't on your radar doesn't mean it is not on other people's radar.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #169 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by marby

If you are not upsetting anyone with anything you say you are perhaps not saying very much.

I could easily insult you right now and here (hypothetically, say something like, "you're a blithering idiot.")

Do an honest thought experiment: Would that have got you slightly upset? If so, according to your logic, I surely must have said something of consequence?
post #170 of 200
stay on subject or move to another forum
isn't this about zoooon and vista....
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #171 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER

stay on subject or move to another forum
isn't this about zoooon and vista....

Are you are the moderator of this "forum"? (FYI, someone earlier corrected me and pointed out in a very sarcastic way that what we have here is a "thread"..... whatever....)

If yes, then close it. If not, how about you move on to some other "forum"....

post #172 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

And where is Old Zealand anyway?!

It's in Denmark of course, however if you're referring to 'New Zealand', it's in Holland and called Zeeland.


Oriental - a European term to describe East Asians is an offensive term in America whilst in Europe it isn't? As Fake Steve would put it - we invented the friggin thing.

In Europe we still use the term Oriental and it's not considered offensive at all. Slightly quaint perhaps at worst if used in it's true definition taking in North Africa, the Middle East and the Far East. eg. travelling on the Orient Express train from London to Istanbul (not Constantinople).

In Europe, if you said you were 'Asian', people would presume you were Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Nepalese and other countries near there, but not Chinese, Japanese or Korean. I'm sure that'll change though as we seem to be adopting more idiotic ideas from frigtards (oops Fake Steve again) in the US.

With the US having a comparatively small Asian (ie. non-Oriental) population I can see how the term might be adopted there but it hasn't been here. Long may it not. It's plainly useful as a term.

It's kind of weird that a term we've been using since the Roman Empire can suddenly become taboo in America. Have we got to wait another couple of thousand years before America gets renamed to not reflect it's recent European colonialist history and is returned to it's Aztec past before Cortes butchered the local populace?

Anyway, I have to say the Zune software install cracks me up. So you can't run it unless you have a Zune and an OS that's due to be obsolete in less than two weeks. It doesn't run on a Mac and you've got to use IE. Engadget's 4.5 hours to install a Zune test was funny too. Way to convert people from the iPod Microsoft. Hilarious!
post #173 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram

Are you are the moderator of this "forum"? (FYI, someone earlier corrected me and pointed out in a very sarcastic way that what we have here is a "thread"..... whatever....)

If yes, then close it. If not, how about you move on to some other "forum"....


No, he isn't, but I'm an Admin.

I hereby proclaim that this thread return to the topic of the Zune being incompatible with Windows Vista.

We have a cozy place, called AppleOutsider, where you can move any discussion of race.

kthx.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #174 of 200
Of all the reviews I have seen, the one today from endgadget.com is by far the most substantive. Their conclusion:

"The Zune is a player riddled with a lot of small issues -- death by a thousand cuts. Do we think any particular one is a deal breaker? Well, even given our nightmarish software issues, not really. Do we think they should have worked out the kinks and sat out this holiday season? Probably, yeah. Do we think there's potential for betterment of the platform and especially the player through software updates? Given enough time, absolutely. Would we recommend the product for purchase, like, right now? Not a chance.

People wonder whether Microsoft's underdog will overtake Cupertino's reigning juggernaut this holiday season. To be honest, we wish it could, since we too are getting kind of sick of seeing the iPod on top. A one man show is only entertaining for so long. But this buying season if the question is iPod, we're afraid the answer sure isn't Zune."

The whole review can be found at:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/15/zune-review/
post #175 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution

No, he isn't, but I'm an Admin.

I hereby proclaim that this thread return to the topic of the Zune being incompatible with Windows Vista.

We have a cozy place, called AppleOutsider, where you can move any discussion of race.

kthx.

thank you

i'm perplexed why ms would create so many barriers to an introduction....didn't they work on this a long time and this is it??? wasn't this the same group that developed the xbox??wow what a disconnect. i wonder if volume sales will be pupblished or someone has a friend at best buy or walmart that can give us the scoop. but still the ipod must keep innovating, if you throw enough stuff something will stick, the zoooon can't since it's too heavy. i looked at it at walmart the screen is nice but when you get it out of the glass case and hold it, it's such a huge design mess when compared to an ipod. maybe with vista they feel many won't upgrade for a long time therefore get another generation of zoooon put out to the public. it's baffling to say the least.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #176 of 200
"Zune software is unable to detect your operating system."

I got this message when I tried to download/install Zune software with Firefox. No problems when using Internet Exploder instead. Are you surprised?

And..

The thought of Steve Ballmer squirting anything at anybody is just too hideous to imagine.
post #177 of 200
post #178 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly


AHAHAHA

Thats great.
post #179 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly


Hahahahaha. "Oh yeah baby, check out what I'm squirting ya...!! Ow.. Ahh... Ahhh yeahhhhh!!!".....
Guy on right: "OMFG Hey hey... Just chill alright... WTF!!!!! "

Guy on cell phone in the back:
"Yeah... yeah... we got it this time... He's squirting again... Yeah... It's bad this time... Reeeaallll bad..."

Guy in blue shirt:
"Get me outta here!!! Fast!!!"
post #180 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER

It's baffling to say the least.

Certainly. Alongside the bloated mess that is Crapsta that will be deepthroated down the businesses and later on the consumers.

But it's good. It will keep Apple moving along on its first and second "engines" (Macs and iPods, not necessarily in that order).... And will ease (not squirt) out of Apple its One More Strategy............ To be announced initially at Macworld SF Jan2007 and which will progressively become clearer through the course of the year.

On a side note nVidia needs to get with Intel in a big way and get the GPUs down to 65nm and 45nm. The 90nm (AFAIK) GeForce 8 series is a power hogging monstrosity. AMD and ATI are lagging but by the end of 2007 they'll have some solid 65nm offerings, I suspect. [ATI will continue to release 90nm power-hungry DirectX10 cards similar to GeForce 8 series through 2007]. [AMD is fracked as far as 2007 is concerned, they're p*wned for the at least another 12 months with Core2 and beyond... I shall welcome AMD back with open arms in 2008.]

Awesome. All the more reason for me not to upgrade anything with my PC computers, just buy Leopard for iBook, and maybe $100 for a PS2 and tons of fun games off eBay. Ah, take that! Credit Card... you won't be sliding up any sexy credit-card-slidey-thingys this coming Christmas or next year!!!! I gotta get job first \
post #181 of 200
Fyi, the bluetooth file transfer wizard in win XP is calld "fsquirt'
Really!!
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
post #182 of 200
really, in c/windows/system32, look for the file with the bluetooth icon. It should be called fsquirt
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
post #183 of 200
Geez I did not realize my statement will start all of this.

I must admit I am coming from an American view point. But I think its good for others to know calling a person Oriental is a touchy subject here.

For those who so ardently object you have to understand for hundreds of years for the dominant culture in the United States it was well thought that anyone who was not of European decent was inferior and not subject to the same social fairness and rule of law.

For those who say its time we move on need to realize that fair treatment of people who are not of European decent were never fully protected under the Constitutional Bill of Rights. The laws that guarantee these rights have only been in place for the last forty years.

The Civil Right Act grants by law everyone is to be treated as a human being was signed in 1964. The United States was established in 1776 but full rights as a human being by law were not guaranteed to everyone until 1964. The Civil Rights Act is up for review and has to be resigned roughly every 30 years.

The social injustice and people who supported it may be dead and dying but the problems they caused and their ramifications are still here.
post #184 of 200
Quote:
You missed my point brilliantly by assuming I'm comparing any particular race to any other! I in now way equate "oriental" to "nigger" or any other word. And I didn't rate any races justification for passed injustices over any others ... if I had, Native Americans would be up there somewhere. So stop getting upset at the superficial part of the discussion.

The REAL distinction in my opinion between the use of any descriptor of a race, class, gender is partially based upon intent and partially based upon context. You can not always assume a person's intent, but you can agree on the context. That was my point with the examples.

Here's the problem: you can't agree on context when you're playing the "I don't have to explain myself, I just find it offensive, period, so shut up" game (I'm not saying you are doing this yourself, but you seem to be advocating the idea that groups should have carte blanche to do so). The comparison between ethnic descriptors isn't "the superficial part of the discussion"; it's the point. It isn't acceptable to put the N-word or "colored" off-limits just because somebody says so. It's because those words are very specifically associated with racism and segregation: one would have to be almost unfathomably culturally and historically illiterate not to know that. However, "black" has not been successfully supplanted by "African-American" (they seem to coexist, somehow) because noone has been able to show that "black" is somehow derogatory, regardless of the undeniable context of historical discrimination against black people. By the same token, though we've gotten plenty of history lessons about discrimination against East Asians, noone has yet succeeded in linking the term "oriental" to that discrimination. It's off-limits for no apparent reason; it's like saying "the Irish were discriminated against so we can't call them Irish anymore" -- huh? A lot of people have a problem with that kind of arbitrary thought-policing, and in your "globalized world", our peculiarly American obsession with it is going to increasingly bump up against the bemused indifference of foreigners who don't share our cultural baggage. And if ever there were a lesson we desperately need to learn, it's this: we Americans should be trying to adapt to them, rather than expecting the reverse.

Quote:
For those who so ardently object you have to understand for hundreds of years for the dominant culture in the United States it was well thought that anyone who was not of European decent was inferior and not subject to the same social fairness and rule of law.

Quote:
Many Asian Americans were discriminated against in the US. Just because you aren't aware of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Ok, I think I've made my point here. If you've actually read my posts you should know I'm aware of all of that; it's the word itself I'm talking about. At what point, and on what basis, was it decided that that word should be equated with what you've described?
post #185 of 200
I really don't want to have to repeat myself.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #186 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

really, in c/windows/system32, look for the file with the bluetooth icon. It should be called fsquirt

No way!! Haha, roflmao
post #187 of 200
Clearly, microsoft liked to squirt things long before zune
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
Reply
post #188 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

Clearly, microsoft liked to squirt things long before zune

Who knows how long Ballmer has been squirting others
post #189 of 200
Good points and this is the last I'll say on it. Dear Moderator ... this really is the last for me ... and I don't mean to just be trying to get in the last word ... really ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

Here's the problem: you can't agree on context when you're playing the "I don't have to explain myself, I just find it offensive, period, so shut up" game (I'm not saying you are doing this yourself, but you seem to be advocating the idea that groups should have carte blanche to do so).

I didn't see anyone doing that carte blanche, I think I heard people say that they had good reason to advocate for a different use of the term "oriental" vs. "asian." It was/is in my experience, not arbitrary, but has been described by many people over the last several years in the popular press. I understand some people don't realize that and that is fine. No one is up in arms about it. We are saying that it is becoming increasingly customery use "oriental" to describe things, people - not so much. It is up to each of us, now that we all have heard this, to decide whether to accept it or not. If you don't think you have heard enough reason, that is your choice, no one will berate you mercilessly about it - however if someone does object to it, you (not you personally) hopefully will at least not think that it is merely a pc conspiracy hatched in Berkeley to make white people feel bad, but rather a legitimate opinion. To become upset about that opinion is just an emotional reaction to a perception of reverse-descrimination, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

The comparison between ethnic descriptors isn't "the superficial part of the discussion"; it's the point. It isn't acceptable to put the N-word or "colored" off-limits just because somebody says so. It's because those words are very specifically associated with racism and segregation: one would have to be almost unfathomably culturally and historically illiterate not to know that. However, "black" has not been successfully supplanted by "African-American" (they seem to coexist, somehow) because noone has been able to show that "black" is somehow derogatory, regardless of the undeniable context of historical discrimination against black people.

I think the group who is the object of description DOES get to have some say in how they would like to be referred. No ethnic or other group is monolithic in their opinions, but it should not be thought a sign of weakness or bleeding heart liberalism to try and be respectful. "Black" seems to be quite common and accepted in many circles, but if an African-American asked me not to use it in his situation, I would be fine not using it and I wouldn't be upset that she/he was being arbitrary or unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

By the same token, though we've gotten plenty of history lessons about discrimination against East Asians, noone has yet succeeded in linking the term "oriental" to that discrimination.

How do you know that? Has anyone done a study on this? I'm sure "oriental" isn't particularly offensive to most people, but "colored" probably took a few decades to filter down to everyone that it was offensive and we might be in the early stages of this for "oriental." My point is to just be aware and respectful that it MIGHT be offensive to SOME people for reasons that you and I may not be aware of. Again merely attempting to being respectful is not being overly sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

It's off-limits for no apparent reason...

First I don't recall anyone saying it was "off-limits" only that it has become an anachronistic word for people, but not for objects. Second, several people have tried to give fairly apparent reasons, though it was obviously from their own particular points of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

...it's like saying "the Irish were discriminated against so we can't call them Irish anymore" -- huh?

I'm Irish and you can call me that, because the Irish call themselves that. Do Orientals call themselves oriental? Actually in the vast rangelands of the West, calling someone Irish is often a term of fun/jest that does have historic significance. Joking about it seems to offend no one so no one makes a big deal about it. Also the Irish have become a part of the power structure and therefore they have little reason to think they are being descriminated ... at least in the US. Maybe when we have a Chinese-American president, "Chinaman" will be the same ... but I doubt it. "Oriental" to some people has a similar historical connotation to "Chinaman."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

A lot of people have a problem with that kind of arbitrary thought-policing ...

My point is that it isn't arbitrary and it is hardly "thought policing" - it is merely mentioning an opinion. You can think whatever you want. I suppose there are some instances of thought-policing going on, but usually that is called marketing and is used by corporations and political action committees, mostly. I would respectfully say that "a lot of people" are being as overly sensitive to the idea of "thought-policing" as you feel some of us are about the word "oriental." Again I'd say the main reason for that is the anger or fear of reverse descirmination. I'm sure it happens but in my experience there are far more problems with descrimination still than with reverse descrimination. I think minorities have more hurdles to overcome than the white majority, even with the few, but headline-making examples of true reverse descrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

... and in your "globalized world", our peculiarly American obsession with it is going to increasingly bump up against the bemused indifference of foreigners who don't share our cultural baggage.

Perhaps, but that is probably not a big problem. Bemused indifference is hardly a reason to ignore possible problems in our own culture.



Quote:
Originally Posted by brianus

And if ever there were a lesson we desperately need to learn, it's this: we Americans should be trying to adapt to them, rather than expecting the reverse.

I don't see it as a desperate lesson to learn, but I agree that we should be willing to look at each individual and group at face value and be open to their own perceptions ... as they should to us.

Thanks for the discussion ...

BTW, I still can't believe that EVERY commercial or journalist report on the Zune, always uses the brown version!?!? If it were a nice leather or rich auburn or something, maybe, but MS seems to be sending everyone the plastic fudgecycle as the sample for all to see and it cracks me up. You'd think they would send a white one to the TV studios. Maybe they know anyone who doesn't own an iPod by now would think it was an iPod, so the brown is the only external differentiator.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #190 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock

really, in c/windows/system32, look for the file with the bluetooth icon. It should be called fsquirt

Frack Me. I am so ashamed \ Here I am squirting people all over without knowing about it. Bloody Windows
post #191 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

Does iTunes run on Vista?

It runs fine on Vista RC1 and it looks the same whether you are on OS X, XP, or Vista. As a matter of fact, neither iTunes nor QuickTime will cause the Vista's color scheme to revert to Vista Basic, although QuickTime preferences does. I do not know if I get the full Aero Glass or not but I do have and can set the transparency level.

Eventually, Apple will release a version of iTunes for Vista and I am curious if they will allow the border to become transparent.
post #192 of 200
just an update, this comes from ZuneInsider.com (it's a blog from a Microsoft MKT guy)

On Vista support: When Windows Vista (consumer edition) is publicly available this January, it will work with Zune. This will include Vista 64bit support. I'm not sure if Zune software will run on a Mac running Windows.
post #193 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvolker

here, i took a screenshot off the website:

They shipped the Zune without it being Vista compatible? WTF??? Could that company get any dumber?
post #194 of 200
Wanting to check on a particular story, I googled "Zune" in news.google.com. The query turned up 3280 stories.

But then, weirdly, the top of the Google page also asks "Did you mean: zone?"

post #195 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsfn

WTF??? Could that company get any dumber?

Your answer: (to repeat a previous post)
http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/zune.jpg

post #196 of 200
Squirting. WTF WTF WTF.
post #197 of 200
WTF ?????!!!!!!!!
post #198 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Someone said it was a military phrase....meaning what, I cannot imagine.

Submarines would collect messages for transmission into a bundle and then send them all at once. This would minimize exposure to location by their radio emissions. The messages were sent rapidly and for a very short period of time. The suitable and convenient term "squirt" was adopted informally. This much I know; what follows is conjecture.

The Zune probably sends short bursts of data to be shared with some other Zune. My guess is that someone involved in its design was familiar with the military usage and adopted it. It likely spread among members of that department (where it should have remained), and soon leaked out(pun intended) within earshot of the suits, who thought it was a cool "techie" term.
post #199 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostBoughtaLisa

Submarines would collect messages for transmission into a bundle and then send them all at once. This would minimize exposure to location by their radio emissions. The messages were sent rapidly and for a very short period of time. The suitable and convenient term "squirt" was adopted informally. This much I know; what follows is conjecture.

The Zune probably sends short bursts of data to be shared with some other Zune. My guess is that someone involved in its design was familiar with the military usage and adopted it. It likely spread among members of that department (where it should have remained), and soon leaked out(pun intended) within earshot of the suits, who thought it was a cool "techie" term.

Squirt sounds lame. Makes somewhat sense for the military because a) they aren't trying to market a product, they are just trying to stay alive, and b) it was a submarine, hence the water >> squirt reference.

Microsoft's adoption of that word was stupid.
post #200 of 200
There is a great deal of confusion in these comments. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't think the bottle thing it's a healthy idea but then again i have been wrong before.



narcanon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Zune incompatible with Windows Vista