or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Has IE for Mac been cut?

Has IE for Mac been cut?

post #1 of 13
My IE 5.2.3 (for Mac; under OSX.3.9) crashed today and refuses to start up again. I restarted and repaired permissions, but no change: crash on start-up.

Has M$ finally cut IE (for PowerPC Macs) for good?

That wouldn't really surprise me, with the emergence of IntelMacs, BootCamp, Parallels, VMware and – next – Vista.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist

My IE 5.2.3 (for Mac; under OSX.3.9) crashed today and refuses to start up again. I restarted and repaired permissions, but no change: crash on start-up.

Has M$ finally cut IE (for PowerPC Macs) for good?

That wouldn't really surprise me, with the emergence of IntelMacs, BootCamp and next Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...ternetexplorer
post #3 of 13
That's right, Mike (thanks for your quick response BTW). I found that too. But it also seems to mean that my fully functional IE suddenly is dead in the water!

I foresee a big problem for websites that are marked up for IE only – and those are MANY! Because old Macs can't access those anymore...!
post #4 of 13
Use Camino. Heres the website:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

This is the best browser I have found so far.
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #5 of 13
IE was so old, it doesn't really work on all IE-only sites anyway.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #6 of 13
Use Opera. For sites that require IE, you can edit the individual site preferences within the browser and instruct it to 'Mask as Internet Explorer'. Almost every IE specific site works with that setting. Try it once.
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

post #7 of 13
Well... more and more web developers have been moving toward standards-compliant sites so that everyone receives a similar experience. You're going to find that IE-only sites are not only diminishing, but are frowned against unless it is part of an specific intranet set-up that requires legacy support.

I still check against IE/Mac when doing web dev to ensure the highest level of compatibility amongst browsers, but it's not really as necessary as once thought. The market share has really declined since the last official update to IE was around 2000-01. Stats from the sites I build have an audience of less than 1% for IE/Mac.
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
post #8 of 13
I havent used IE in over two years at home. I've never had a problem.

The Opera browser above works great though. I just think there are tons of reasons to switch to Firefox outside of this issue.
post #9 of 13
A friend and I had worked on a website that wanted a shopping cart. My friend is a Windows user and programmed the cart in PHP (or something of that nature, he's the programmer). When I tested it on my Mac in Safari, Camino and Firefox certain issues came up. I tried the cart in IE 5 and it worked flawlessly.

We resolved the issue, but in all honesty no one really uses IE on the Mac. Except for my one friend who's still using OS 9. Still, it is good to have for testing.

Rokcet Scientist

Did you try to re-install it? If you don't have the installer...

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/mac/5.2.3_OS_X
post #10 of 13
Thanks everybody. Lots of useful suggestions there.

@Artman: reinstalling was also my thought. Then at Versiontracker.com there was a notice IE was discontinued. So I couldn't get it. Now I got it via you. Thanks. Reinstalled it. Start up –> crash....
Oh well, time to move on I guess.
post #11 of 13
Trash your preferences file. I'm almost certain that will fix it.
post #12 of 13
Another example of microsofts fine customer support :P
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #13 of 13
Another fine example of Microsoft's wonderful customer support.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Has IE for Mac been cut?