or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Page Numbers for Threads

Page Numbers for Threads

post #1 of 5
I notice that the menu showing threads in a forum lists page numbers, whenever a thread exceed one page. Handy for threads with few pages. When a thread gets long, there isn't room for all the page number, so we get the first few pages and the last page. Not so handy if a newcomer wants to start on the third or fourth page from the end of a very long thread. It is not listed, so these last several pages must be accessed in several steps.

Pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 are rarely accessed in a long thread, I would guess. So why not show something like this:

(First page . . . 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)

A newcomer could jump in anywhere near the end to get the gist of the discussion.

post #2 of 5
I'm curious how many nester quotes this program will make...

<cute, but deleted. audiopollution.>

Answer: 27
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

I'm curious how many nester quotes this program will make...

Answer: 27

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy

I notice that the menu showing threads in a forum lists page numbers, whenever a thread exceed one page. Handy for threads with few pages. When a thread gets long, there isn't room for all the page number, so we get the first few pages and the last page. Not so handy if a newcomer wants to start on the third or fourth page from the end of a very long thread. It is not listed, so these last several pages must be accessed in several steps.

Pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 are rarely accessed in a long thread, I would guess. So why not show something like this:

(First page . . . 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)

A newcomer could jump in anywhere near the end to get the gist of the discussion.

I'll sort something out.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 5
That is a problem with phpBB and others also. There is no way to jump to the middle, or to leap ahead by 5 or so pages.

I think it should always show the first, last and a window of 5 to 10 on either side of where you are.

1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 57 58
--Johnny
--Johnny
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Page Numbers for Threads