or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii

post #1 of 40
I've got my Wii and I've played about 3 hours of Zelda today. The Wii Sports bundle is awesome. Zelda is awesome. The controller is a lot of fun and works a lot better than I was expecting.

My single complaint is that it came with composite cables and there aren't any component anywhere, stupid shortages.
proud resident of a failed state
post #2 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat

I've got my Wii and I've played about 3 hours of Zelda today. The Wii Sports bundle is awesome. Zelda is awesome. The controller is a lot of fun and works a lot better than I was expecting.

My single complaint is that it came with composite cables and there aren't any component anywhere, stupid shortages.

You can't get component cables? Really? Wow. Do you have extra composites? I've done it before using separate composites to hook up component video.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #3 of 40
Can you post some nice pictures from all angles? How responsive is the remote? This is so exciting! I've been waiting to get a Wii for awhile. Sadly I will have to wait until about summer next year, but that's not too terrible.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #4 of 40
Nice, out of the 3 new systems, the Wii sounds like the one to get. I my case for the family oriented game base and lower price, and it just looks like more fun to play.

Still going to wait a while though, I tend to regret being an early adopter! \
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #5 of 40
The component cables are in short supply, very very sadly.

I will take some pictures, but there are plenty of shots already
post #6 of 40
Thanks. I've been looking at some of them. The ones on the official website aren't too helpful. I mostly want to see all the connectors and where the old fashioned controller connects. By the way, how is that Zelda game? It was supposed to come out on my birthday last year but they delayed it over a year. That made me so angry.
post #7 of 40
The old controllers connect on the side. There are two detachable doors on the side, one hiding two GC memory card slots and the other hiding 4 GC controller slots. Wavebird receivers fit just fine (that was a concern of mine).

Zelda is Zelda. Fetch quests, easy combat, choppin' up grass, and stuff like that. All the stuff you love, all the stuff that can be repetitive. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 so far, but I'm only about 1/10th of the way through.
post #8 of 40
I didn't get the Zelda game caused it quickly sold out during the mid-night event.

I agree with groverat. The Wii Sports bundled game and remote are fantastic.
post #9 of 40
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ

Smash My Wii.

Heh.

More console smashing fun from Toronto: www.smashmyps3.com and www.smashmyxbox.com
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #11 of 40
I absolutely dig these. I love how angry the people get. Jesus christ.
post #12 of 40
I found that footage you sent me of you playing Wii Groverat.

Groverat is boxing.

Knock that guy out man!

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #13 of 40
Has anyone seen the South Park with Cartman waiting for the Wii to come out? This is a fantastic episode!
post #14 of 40
Groverat : it's nice to have your opinion. My plan is that Santa Klaus bring a wii console for Christmas to my kids.
The wii do not have the more powerfull hardware, but it seems to have the better playing experience according to a lot of people granted to the great controllers

Enjoys your
(in europe it will release december the 9th)
post #15 of 40
Zelda: Twilight Princess is one extremely long game. My "1/3rd finished" estimate was way way off.

It is also really awesome.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat

Zelda: Twilight Princess is one extremely long game. My "1/3rd finished" estimate was way way off.

It is also really awesome.

I read an article a couple weeks ago that said it was a solid 70 hour game.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #17 of 40
Ok. I've come up with a legitimate question. The Wii can use either the remote or the old game cube controllers. If an old controller is plugged in, is that the default controller? As in, do you have to unplug the old controllers if you switch to a game that uses the remote?

That's nice to hear about Zelda. I can't wait to play it.
post #18 of 40
I've played Zelda for about 4 hours today. So damned fun.
post #19 of 40
I'm seriously considering getting a Wii. That's pretty significant. I've never owned a console system in my life, and I was a kid when the Atari 2600 was the "hot thing".
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton

I'm seriously considering getting a Wii. That's pretty significant. I've never owned a console system in my life, and I was a kid when the Atari 2600 was the "hot thing".

Wish I could find one of them, in Houston. My wife has suddenly decided that she has to have one RIGHT NOW.
Never had ONE lesson.
Never had ONE lesson.
post #21 of 40
My friend bought one and while I was very enamored with the Wii Sports title there definitely were some control issues with Super Monkey Ball and Madden. I feel like it will be very cool for baseball games but even with Zelda I got annoyed at having to constantly shake my left hand to do a spinny attack.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #22 of 40
Your complaint reminds me of Elaine (from Seinfeld) declaring that she was done shaking Snapple bottles.

At first the spinny attack irritated me, but that was before I figured out the lag time on it. Once you time it right (the little "schwink" sound with the tip of the sword flashing), then the actual shake to make it happen is very slight.
post #23 of 40
I've read some reviews and I guess they echo what some posters have said for the most part. Even though it's not the most powerful hardware, the experience is the most fun.

Is there a tennis game available?
post #24 of 40
Wii definitely seems to have the kinds of games that I'd like to play: that is to say not overly complicated. But 2 out of 3 nearby friends seem to be on the Wii trail. That means I have some time to wait things out and see if the PS3 starts to get more appealing. I definitely dig the Linux bit.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #25 of 40
quote from BBC

"Some early reviewers in the US have complained that the vigorous action demanded by the Wii controller has left them feeling stiff after a long game session."

- fat lazy bastards.
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch

Is there a tennis game available?

Yep, it's bundled with Wii Sports, which comes free with the console.
post #27 of 40
Spline:

If the PS3 becomes a good platform for a home media center then I'll be getting one for that alone. I am so starved for something that can stream movies from my PC (my modified XBOX is huge, ugly, and loud) in all of the different crazy formats I have.
post #28 of 40
i've been playing my wii, connected to my el gato 250, connected to my 20 inch imac. while it loses some crispness in the picture it is freakin awesome to play.

Zelda is awesome. This game is the reason why they created the series like 20 years ago. however, im almost done with the game and im still not sure if i like ocarina of time better or not. Twighlight princess' graphics are superb, that with the combination of the controller really pulls you inside the game. I really enjoy the intense sword combat later in the game, I just wish there was a lot more of it. enjoy the early levels while you can, because the later levels get really easy. extremely. that and the music was a lot more memborable in orcarina (but maybe thats because ive played it 1000's of times and its etched into my soul). sometimes it takes me like three hours to get to a dungeon, but only an hour to beat it once im there (i'd like a 50/50 ratio better).

All that being said, get it, you have to. its an amazing launch title and will probably complete your life. im excited what they can do in the next year or two, especially if they beef up the system. still waiting to play the classic games, i'll see what happens once i get to that.
at present:
20" 2GHz 2GB iMac Core Duo X.4 & Super Drive

next year:
27" 2.7GHz 4GB iMac Core Duo 3 X.5 & Ultimate Drive
at present:

next year:
post #29 of 40
also if you buy a wii you wont get shot
at present:

next year:
at present:

next year:
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by finboy

Wish I could find one of them, in Houston. My wife has suddenly decided that she has to have one RIGHT NOW.

I ended up getting her a diamond ring Saturday instead. The flashing lights distracted her but good.

She got excited by the rumor that Target had them today, though. Maybe I'll get a Wii for Xmas.
Never had ONE lesson.
Never had ONE lesson.
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placebo

Yep, it's bundled with Wii Sports, which comes free with the console.

Very cool. Thanks for the info.
post #32 of 40
post #33 of 40
Wii have a problem. Hang on to those controllers and watch out for little brothers!
post #34 of 40
why the wii will be no1 in the next gen wars for the short to mid term.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061209-8389.html

I've actually bought into the wii from a philosophical POV, but everywhere I went to see one today was out of stock. I will probably get a PS3 in the long term, but for someone who has never owned a console, its suprising that there are 2 now that I am enthusiastic about.
post #35 of 40
I beat Twilight Princess yesterday, and it was great fun.

My one complaint: Way too easy. I am not a gamer god, so this isn't a matter of someone breezing through something difficult, but this was way too easy.

Graphically it is less interesting than WindWaker (which is highly underrated), and it plays a lot like Ocarina of Time (as one would expect). It is LONG, which is fantastic. The more dungeons they throw at me the happier I am, as long as the gameplay is creative and innovative. Sadly, there is a fair bit of repetition in some dungeons, though I cannot fault them too much.

I did not die a single time. During the final boss sequence I didn't even get below 9 hearts (I started with 15 and didn't use any potions or fairies). That is extremely disappointing. The final battle itself should have been 20x harder than it was. I should have had to know all the different hidden sword skills and use them all to win the final battle, but I didn't. Hack'n'slash would have been slow but effective, so long as I kept my shield up.

Full game-time, start to finish, was 54 hours for me. To complete all the side quests and the cave of ordeals would probably add 10 to that, so the 70 hour estimate seems legit.
post #36 of 40
Cool. I like easy games.
post #37 of 40
I got the Zelda game yesterday.
post #38 of 40
No Wii for me. I just bought a PS3 on ebay (60GB). However, there was a major paypal screwup and I thought it canceled the sale (used Buy it Now). So, I bought the other one the guy had instead. See what's coming?

That's right...I actually had won and paid for the first one, even though PayPal said that didn't happen at the time. So I'm now getting two of them by accident. Anyone want one? $749...shipped.
post #39 of 40
Finally got a chance to play 4-player Wii Tennis yesterday... simply amazing! Bowling is great independent on number of players, but with 4 simultaneous players with 4 wiimotes tennis wins hands down.

Just have to have a big enough room.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I beat Twilight Princess yesterday, and it was great fun.

My one complaint: Way too easy. I am not a gamer god, so this isn't a matter of someone breezing through something difficult, but this was way too easy.

Graphically it is less interesting than WindWaker (which is highly underrated), and it plays a lot like Ocarina of Time (as one would expect). It is LONG, which is fantastic. The more dungeons they throw at me the happier I am, as long as the gameplay is creative and innovative. Sadly, there is a fair bit of repetition in some dungeons, though I cannot fault them too much.

I did not die a single time. During the final boss sequence I didn't even get below 9 hearts (I started with 15 and didn't use any potions or fairies). That is extremely disappointing. The final battle itself should have been 20x harder than it was. I should have had to know all the different hidden sword skills and use them all to win the final battle, but I didn't. Hack'n'slash would have been slow but effective, so long as I kept my shield up.

Full game-time, start to finish, was 54 hours for me. To complete all the side quests and the cave of ordeals would probably add 10 to that, so the 70 hour estimate seems legit.

Zelda, is not so easy for me : I am certainly a very bad gamer. I truly deserve the chocolate medal
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Nintendo Wii