or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › QuickLook feature, Dashboard tweaks in latest Leopard builds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

QuickLook feature, Dashboard tweaks in latest Leopard builds

post #1 of 89
Thread Starter 
Developers exploring the latest pre-release builds of Apple Computer's next-generation Leopard operating system have recently discovered a handful of changes and enhancements not apparent in the company's online preview.

QuickLook (Screenshots 1, 2)

For instance, Leopard's Finder includes a new contextual menu item called "QuickLook," which will display an enlarged preview of image files in a semi-translucent Finder window (similar to slideshow mode) without first having to launch the "Preview" app.

At the base of the QuickLook window are two options, one to expand the image to full size and another to add the file to an iPhoto library.

Time Machine (Screenshot 3)

Leopard will also recognize the first time a new external hard disk drive is connected to a Mac. A system dialog then appears, asking the user if they'd like the enable the drive for use with Leopard's built-in file backup software called Time Machine.

Dashboard Web Clip enhancements (Screenshot 4)

Developers testing the latest build of Leopard, 9A303, have also spotted some improvements to Dashboard Web Clip in Safari 3, a feature that allows users to turn any portion of a web page into a custom Dashboard widget.

Under the initial preview release of Leopard, an "Open in Dashboard" button in Safari would created new widget containing the frontmost web site, which users could then crop and manipulate.

In the latest builds, Apple has taken the feature a bit further by allowing users to select portions of websites which they would like to turn into widgets directly from within Safari. Users simply use a marquee tool to select the portion of a website they'd like as a widget and then click an "Add" button.

Spaces interface tweak (Screenshot 5)

Lastly, developers point out subtle and ongoing interface tweaks to the floating Spaces palette in the Leopard Finder. The latest version features a gloss black finish, similar to the icon Apple developed to represent the workspace management component.

Apple last updated its pre-release distribution of Leopard earlier this month when it seeded build 9A303 to correct a number of stability issues.
post #2 of 89
Leopard will allow part of any webpage to be made into a widget.

Do you realize what this means?!

Porn Widgets!

*Rats! Did I say that out loud?*
post #3 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac~N~Cheese

Leopard will allow part of any webpage to be made into a widget.

Do you realize what this means?!

Porn Widgets!

*Rats! Did I say that out loud?*


Apple announced this at wwdc, just without the porn link!
post #4 of 89
I wonder if the black color will be a system-wide view option...other then the silver/white.

Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #5 of 89
id say it will be the grey ( non steel brushd) with lots of black windows.
Like iTunes :-)

More and more of those black windows popping up in screenies.
post #6 of 89
That black, transparent looking interface reminds me of iPhoto's full screen mode.
post #7 of 89
iWeb, too. Actually, it's been around a little bit before the same theme was announced in Vista.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #8 of 89
Such HUD windows actually originate from Motion, if I'm not mistaken.
post #9 of 89
"Leopard will also recognize the first time a new external hard disk drive is connected to a Mac. A system dialog then appears, asking the user if they'd like the enable the drive for use with Leopard's built-in file backup software called Time Machine."

eeeee.... That screams of windows....
"New hardware has been found....do you want do some asinine thing with it that you weren't thinking about before but now you're being forced into - then click teh "yes" dialog box.....
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
post #10 of 89
If it did that for everything, then maybe. I bet it will do it once for each drive, then rely on you to do enable it manually for Time Machine.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #11 of 89
Yeah, the current dialog seems obnoxious.
post #12 of 89
Is Quick Look really better than Preview? Preview opens pretty fast anyway... Maybe I'm missing the point....
post #13 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi

Is Quick Look really better than Preview? Preview opens pretty fast anyway... Maybe I'm missing the point....

The don't show it there but QuickView will be able to QuickView anything, movies/documents/pictures/etc. So for example if you click on a URL and hit QuickView it previews the actual web site. I think they also will allow for developers to expand it to "QuickView" their documents.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
Reply
post #14 of 89
Nice.
post #15 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksbrain

If it did that for everything, then maybe. I bet it will do it once for each drive, then rely on you to do enable it manually for Time Machine.

I hear you, but I'm not so sure I agree
Everytime a new HD connects could be often: friends sharing files, client presentations, data, video content......
And will every USB Hard drive get this message? does this include USB stick "Hard Drives"?

-EDIT: Everything else looks pretty cool though - can't wait. The quickview stuff especially
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
post #16 of 89
Leopard looks better and better each day, by spring it will be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #17 of 89
perverted or not the porn widgets will be cool. And a new extra to show off to windows users. "yeah ive got all the joys of expose AND a porn widget!"
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

perverted or not the porn widgets will be cool. And a new extra to show off to windows users. "yeah ive got all the joys of expose AND a porn widget!"

"And no risk of a virus just for looking!"
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
Reply
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

I hear you, but I'm not so sure I agree
Everytime a new HD connects could be often: friends sharing files, client presentations, data, video content......
And will every USB Hard drive get this message? does this include USB stick "Hard Drives"

Yeah, if only they had put a "don't ask me again" checkbox to keep the system from ever asking you again if you don't want it to.
-- Jason
Reply
-- Jason
Reply
post #20 of 89
Context menu for a quick view?

Alert dialog box for time machine every time you connect a drive?

Sounds like Microsoft engineers are at work here. How about doing a long click for quick view? Call it ClickView™.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump

Context menu for a quick view?

Alert dialog box for time machine every time you connect a drive?

Sounds like Microsoft engineers are at work here. How about doing a long click for quick view? Call it ClickView™.

Guess what, you can't activate every single little feature of an OS from a single click of a one button mouse. You can do it from the menu, you can do it from a control click.

And that box is not going to pop up every time you plug in a drive. One time for each drive. Unless you get a new external hard drive ever week and are also incapable of clicking "Do not ask me again", it is a non issue.

Stop complaining about useful features.
post #22 of 89
Yeah the picture clearly says "Don't ask me again" so it's a non-issue. I'm look so forward to spaces!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #23 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Such HUD windows actually originate from Motion, if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken, nah you're not I love them by the way!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

"Leopard will also recognize the first time a new external hard disk drive is connected to a Mac. A system dialog then appears, asking the user if they'd like the enable the drive for use with Leopard's built-in file backup software called Time Machine."

eeeee.... That screams of windows....
"New hardware has been found....do you want do some asinine thing with it that you weren't thinking about before but now you're being forced into - then click teh "yes" dialog box.....

Nah, with Windows you can't go back any further in time

Keep in mind: "Don't show this message again"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 89
Apple clearly "gets it"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #26 of 89
I hate that girly colored "spaces" changer, black in the new aqua.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #27 of 89
So with porn widgets, immunity to spyware and viruses and the ability to have "Private browsing" in Safari Already, I guess the Mac is now the choice for the porn enthusiast? \
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinnipeg

So with porn widgets, immunity to spyware and viruses and the ability to have "Private browsing" in Safari Already, I guess the Mac is now the choice for the porn enthusiast? \

You forgot the Gisele Buendchen ads.
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

I hate that girly colored "spaces" changer, black in the new aqua.

Haven't you heard? Black is the new pink.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #30 of 89
Anyone know where I can get that leopard wallpaper in some of the screens?
post #31 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felin

Anyone know where I can get that leopard wallpaper in some of the screens?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keffrin/275943932/
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felin

Anyone know where I can get that leopard wallpaper in some of the screens?

Ahem, desktop.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

"Leopard will also recognize the first time a new external hard disk drive is connected to a Mac. A system dialog then appears, asking the user if they'd like the enable the drive for use with Leopard's built-in file backup software called Time Machine."

eeeee.... That screams of windows....
"New hardware has been found....do you want do some asinine thing with it that you weren't thinking about before but now you're being forced into - then click teh "yes" dialog box.....

Not quite. You can ease out of it quickly.
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

Yeah, the current dialog seems obnoxious.

In what way?
post #35 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Haven't you heard? Black is the new pink.

O' Reily?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

I hear you, but I'm not so sure I agree
Everytime a new HD connects could be often: friends sharing files, client presentations, data, video content......
And will every USB Hard drive get this message? does this include USB stick "Hard Drives"?

-EDIT: Everything else looks pretty cool though - can't wait. The quickview stuff especially

If you read it, you would see that they did. Screenshot 3 had the dialog box.

If you didn't look, it says, in order: Don't ask again, Ignore, Use Device.

That's pretty clear.

I would also imagine that if you agree to "Use Device" once, it won't bother you again when another drive is connected, as long as the new backup drive is still connected.
post #37 of 89
sigh. Not very exciting.
post #38 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

In what way?

The potential benefit (the user not having to travel down System Preferences's Time Machine pane and select the drive, nor having to know about this) is arguably somewhat outweighed by the disadvantage of getting this dialog with hard drives not intended for backups. Yes, I know, you can turn it off.

But it's a question of moderation. One of the things that bug me about using Windows is how it tries to make assumptions for me, and this is one of them "you have inserted a DVD, what would you like to do with it?" If the user wants to do something, why not let them actively express this?

This kind of dialog couldn't possibly exhaustively list the possibilities of what the user might have intended to do with the hard drive (yet Windows does try).

That said, this alone doesn't bug me at all. I'm just wary of Apple going further in that direction.
post #39 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

The potential benefit (the user not having to travel down System Preferences's Time Machine pane and select the drive, nor having to know about this) is arguably somewhat outweighed by the disadvantage of getting this dialog with hard drives not intended for backups. Yes, I know, you can turn it off.

But it's a question of moderation. One of the things that bug me about using Windows is how it tries to make assumptions for me, and this is one of them "you have inserted a DVD, what would you like to do with it?" If the user wants to do something, why not let them actively express this?

This kind of dialog couldn't possibly exhaustively list the possibilities of what the user might have intended to do with the hard drive (yet Windows does try).

That said, this alone doesn't bug me at all. I'm just wary of Apple going further in that direction.

I understand what you're saying. But, I do think that this is such an important issue, that it had to be brought to the forefront.

And, as I mentioned, possibly Apple will have the dialog turn off once you have a backup attached.

The problem is that most people won't even know about this. I'm wondering how they will react?

But, there are five months left. Apple will possibly change it again. Hopefully, they will make it clearer.

And, also, don't forget that the OS has almost always done this with a drive, or disk it can't read (initialize?), so it isn't entirely unexpected.
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

The problem is that most people won't even know about this. I'm wondering how they will react?

That's another worry. When Apple introduced Fast User Switching, they did so with a wide, silly and unnecessary menu extra displaying the entire name, causing a whole bunch of hacks to appear to make it a little shorter. They mostly fixed this in 10.4, allowing you to use the shorter name instead, or just an icon.

But the menu doesn't really belong there at all; it belongs right next to the Log Out menu item in the Apple menu.

Why did they place it there? For marketing and newbie purposes: to make people aware of this new feature.

I think that, in the long run, that's a very problematic strategy. It works well with Dock icons, because it's rather subtle there, i.e., new applications and features get their new Dock icon, and if you don't like it, you throw it out, but you can still use it. But conversely, if you don't like the Fast User Switching menu, and throw it out, you can't use it any more at all; once you want to use it again, the menu is back.

Quote:
And, also, don't forget that the OS has almost always done this with a drive, or disk it can't read (initialize?), so it isn't entirely unexpected.

But not with a drive it *can* read just fine.

Sure, with an unreadable or unformatted partition, it'll prompt you to format it. And with a recordable CD or DVD, it'll prompt you to handle it in Finder, iTunes, Disk Utility, whathaveyou.

But if you insert a hard drive with data on it, it'll leave you alone and just let you get to work.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › QuickLook feature, Dashboard tweaks in latest Leopard builds