or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple and Nike to sell Nike+Amp bracelet for iPods

Apple and Nike to sell Nike+Amp bracelet for iPods

post #1 of 48
Apple Computer and Nike plan to introduce a new wireless wristband device that will allow runners to interact with their iPods without constantly fiddling with the players' sweat-slicked Click-Wheel.

According to a report in Men'sHealth, the $80 device will act as a wrist-mounted Bluetooth remote and let users browse the songs on their iPod and check running times without that constant fumbling that often ensues while attempting to maintain focus on a run.

The device will sync up with the existing Nike+iPod running system, displaying information on an illuminated LED display "hidden beneath the matte-finish face of the bracelet." Meanwhile, the iPod may remain tucked away in a runner's pocket or armband.

Further features of the device, expected to be released under the name Nike Amp+, are unclear from the report. However, a single included marketing image suggests that gadget may hold potential to deliver one of the most frequently-requested components for the Nike+iPod system: a heart rate monitor.

Since beginning their foray into the wireless iPod accessory market earlier this July, Apple and Nike have sold over 450,000 of the Nike+iPod sport kits. The $30 system includes a wireless Bluetooth mode that inserts under the heel of a Nike+ compatible running shoe and a transceiver that plugs into an iPod nano.

Nike+iPod wristband | Image copyright: Men'sHealth

The Nike+iPod kit gathers data such as distance, calories burned, time and pace. The data is then stored on the iPod and easily uploaded through iTunes to nikeplus.com, a personal service site where runners can track their own progress and challenge other runners.

In recent months, Nike has been working on new functionality for nikeplus.com, such as adding a new 'route finder' to the web software that will let runners easily map and share their favorite running routes.

The shoemaker has also been working to expand its Nike+ enabled footwear line, for which there are now over a dozen different models.
post #2 of 48
So how long until the Nike iPod?

I say 18 months, if not sooner.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #3 of 48
This is nothing but good news. More incremental sales for both Apple and Nike. Quick analysts, to the analyscanner!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 48
This made me think of something.

What if instead of a watch with buttons on it, Nike instead made a glove with the buttons on the palm side? The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

I guess if you decide to stop and do push-ups or pull-ups though, you're screwed.
post #5 of 48
If I weren't crippled and deaf, I'd be all over this!
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborofka

The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

Yeah and special Spidey-webbing ejects out of hidden nozzles too!!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborofka

What if instead of a watch with buttons on it, Nike instead made a glove with the buttons on the palm side? The watch still requires you to upset your arm motion and use both arms while running, but a glove would just require you to bend in your fingers to push a button, which is easier.

I guess if you decide to stop and do push-ups or pull-ups though, you're screwed.

As a runner, I hate anything that can distract me. The shuffle is just enough. I would not want to wear a mini while exercising...too big and too much visual information. A glove would be a very bad idea. Even a watch can be a pain sometimes.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 48
This seems pretty cool but it's more expensive than the current kit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #9 of 48
this doesn't look right to me. especially with the shuffle G1 bubble where the play/pause button is, that was dropped with the G2, I don't see it coming back (and i miss it, it had a nice 'feel' to it). it also doesn't seem designed very nike or apple. and what bluetooth dongle do you have to attach to your ipod that already has a nike+ dongle on it? Or do you toss out your old nike+ and just use the shoe part? I cry bogus!!
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

If I weren't crippled and deaf, I'd be all over this!

Hmm wonder how fit the average mac user is.

post #11 of 48
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #12 of 48
I wonder if this little dodacky will allow me to sync up my Bluetooth stereo headset with the nike bluetooth adaptor and hence my iPod. Cool if it does.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

I really need to look into buying a Nano+Nike kit. I could use another Hobby and it would give me an excuse to buy an iPod (I never really needed one before you ask) Nano.

Recommended reading.
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

As a runner, I hate anything that can distract me. The shuffle is just enough. I would not want to wear a mini while exercising...too big and too much visual information. A glove would be a very bad idea. Even a watch can be a pain sometimes.

A glove wouldn't be that too bad actually. I doubt that a glove will appear but nevertheless I see it as a good idea. As a year round runner, a lot of us (guys and girls) wear gloves during winter sessions. Its amazing how cold your hand can get.
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
post #15 of 48
Apple should team up with other sports companies too. I'm a swimmer, not a runner - I want an iPod in my Speedos
post #16 of 48
i want an ipod bike add-on. like the running one but with a sensor on the bike for tracking distance, altitude etc. i cycle rather than run and that would make a big difference...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #17 of 48
I guess the question is: Will there soon be new iPods with Bluetooth? Or will they continue with the bluetooth add on? As I understand it the Nike+ running thing already is bluetooth.
Quote:
The $30 system includes a wireless Bluetooth mode that inserts under the heel of a Nike+ compatible running shoe and a transceiver that plugs into an iPod nano.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by othello

i want an ipod bike add-on. like the running one but with a sensor on the bike for tracking distance, altitude etc. i cycle rather than run and that would make a big difference...

Ditto. I'd be all over the iPod nano if such an add-on came out.
post #19 of 48
I am going to cry bogus on this one also. So, when the Nike+ came out, Apple was very specific in sayin gthe connection between the dondle and the Nano was NOT bluetooth, and that it was a proprietary wireless connection. Why would they all of a sudden say it was a bluetooth device? I cry bogus, I think the image we are seeing is some clever photoshoping, a previous design idea, or someone's dream ad (ie. iPhone spec commercial on google video). We'll just have to see..
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExile

Apple was very specific in sayin gthe connection between the dondle and the Nano was NOT bluetooth, and that it was a proprietary wireless connection.

They were? Must have missed that. Do you have a link?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H

They were? Must have missed that. Do you have a link?

It uses a proprietary 802.11-based method.
post #22 of 48
Probably not that much of a surprise, but the Nike+ kit operates at the same frequency as bluetooth according to Apple's site. Couldn't someone just take the Nike+ items and see if their bluetooth equipped computer locates and tries to pair with them?

Regardless of whether the article got the connection technology wrong, it's Apple's product so there shouldn't be a problem adding a wristband to the set. It seems to fit Apple's whole iPod approach to add functionality externally.

Does anyone else but me think that the wi-fi capable iPod might come as an accessory and not as a built in feature? An iPod wi-fi adapter that when attached opens up the iPod to wireless iTunes Store downloads and syncing? Much like the radio remote, voice recording and the Nike+ kit, if you want it, you can buy it separate (of course, maybe that's just wishful thinking that my 4 month old 5G will remain relevant.)
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker

It uses a proprietary 802.11-based method.

Ignoring for a second that "proprietary 802.11" is an oxymoron, how do we know this?
post #24 of 48
Oops, O.K. I see now. It says "proprietary" on the Nike+ "run" page on Apple's website.
post #25 of 48
Hope it controls iTV too.
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
post #26 of 48
Hmmmm seems suspect. If you're going to shell out $80 bucks, why not just get a shuffle in addition to your regular iPod. I guess you get the running info, but still.........
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau

this doesn't look right to me. especially with the shuffle G1 bubble where the play/pause button is, that was dropped with the G2, I don't see it coming back (and i miss it, it had a nice 'feel' to it). it also doesn't seem designed very nike or apple. and what bluetooth dongle do you have to attach to your ipod that already has a nike+ dongle on it? Or do you toss out your old nike+ and just use the shoe part? I cry bogus!!

The Nike+ setup transmits from the accelerometer to the device attached to your iPod Nano via the proprietary, short-range microwave device that functions very much like Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's not the Bluetooth standard, but darn close.

This Nike Amp+ is an addiotnal $80 device you add to your already $30 Nike + and $200 iPod Nano and $150 shoies. Going for a jog is getting expensive!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

The Nike+ setup transmits from the accelerometer to the device attached to your iPod Nano via the proprietary, short-range microwave device that functions very much like Bluetooth. I'm guessing it's not the Bluetooth standard, but darn close.

This Nike Amp+ is an addiotnal $80 device you add to your already $30 Nike + and $200 iPod Nano and $150 shoies. Going for a jog is getting expensive!

The Nike+iPod works fine without the Nike+ shoes. I use my kit with Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, and it's pretty accurate. I have the sensor mounted between the tongue and laces of my left shoe, but you can also use a shoe wallet (Nike makes them too) without problems.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee4orce

Apple should team up with other sports companies too. I'm a swimmer, not a runner - I want an iPod in my Speedos

Is that an iPod in your Speedos, or are you just... oh, never mind.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

Who coined the term Nike Amp?... Amp? Is it amplifying something? I don't think so.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor

Yeah and special Spidey-webbing ejects out of hidden nozzles too!!

Squirting. Word. 8) [see Zune, squirt, etc.]
post #32 of 48
Quote:

This is nothing but good news. More incremental sales for both Apple and Nike. Quick analysts, to the analyscanner!

Tee heee heeee you said anal... Heh.
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee4orce

Too easy... "Is that a Nike dongle in your Speedos or are you just happy to see me?" 8) ... Yeah anyway I do [swim+run] sometimes (as recommended several years back to me buy a leading Australian triathelete....) -- no music player involved in general....
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorM

A glove wouldn't be that too bad actually. I doubt that a glove will appear but nevertheless I see it as a good idea. As a year round runner, a lot of us (guys and girls) wear gloves during winter sessions. Its amazing how cold your hand can get.

Hell yeah. Mornings or evenings in Melbourne, Aust.... I need gloves when running. 9 months of the year. Still not used to the cold down here, after living in KL/ Singapore/ San Fran/ Sydney/ Brisbane (in no particular order).
post #35 of 48
Quote:

Is that an iPod in your Speedos, or are you just... oh, never mind.

Damn, you beat me to it...... \
post #36 of 48
Quote:

Who coined the term Nike Amp?... Amp? Is it amplifying something? I don't think so.

It amplifies your running experience and workout. 8)
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons

The Nike+iPod works fine without the Nike+ shoes. I use my kit with Asics Gel Nimbus shoes, and it's pretty accurate. I have the sensor mounted between the tongue and laces of my left shoe, but you can also use a shoe wallet (Nike makes them too) without problems.

Ok. I've totally post-whored myself so apologies and this is the last post in the row for me. I have been looking very closely at Nike+iPod. A few points still that would be needed for me to get this as a Christmas pressie:

1. I use New Balance a lot. Because my feet are wide. In the past, Nike shoes have *always* been too tight width-wise, and they don't last as long as NewBalances.

2. Please post pictures if possible of how you are using the kit in a non Nike+ shoe.

3. The watch is cool because your nano does not need to be visual, you just need music and at any stage you click on something and it gives you aural feedback about how far you've run or your pacing (AFAI remember the Nike Store demo and talking to the live demo peoples there).

4. The clincher would have to be Bluetooth headphones. iPods or mp3 players or mobilePhoneswithMusic all suffer from cabledangletwisteritis. A nice non-earbud but firm enough for running (maybe swimming!!!!!) headset Bluetooth would be hella cool for all your iPod experience, your Nike+iPod experience, and chilling in front or around your Mac.

A lot of options with Nike+iPod and for the money spent in marketing, R+D, etc. I think it has been a fruitful collaboration on the whole. There's a lot of scope for growth, maybe in 10 years you can have it clipped to your optic nerve so that you get a "heads up display" fighter-jet style readout in front of you as you are running. Including traffic warnings if you run around urbanised areas (as most of us inevitably do...) . Heh. And a full waterproof thing for swimming and lap timing and pacing.

Yeah, I think some sort of implant is needed that interfaces with your body and your thoughts and gives you feedback directly through your central nervous system/ optic nerve/ eardrums/ etc. ...The i[m]Plant. Also allows you to share thoughts with other i[m]Plant users nearby. Flirting just took on a whole new level. Steve Ballmer: "Now you can squirt everyone else using thought alone". Of course like chat buddy-blocking hopefully the Apple i[m]Plant will block Steve Ballmer's thoughts on by factory default. Also on by factory default is wireless connectivity to the Internet and hence "official" Apple thoughts and Steve Job thoughts.
post #38 of 48
Quote:

It sounds intense.
it doesn't have to make sense to be masculine and intense.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Tee heee heeee you said anal... Heh.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #40 of 48
I love the Nike+iPod. I also use New Balance. I found the "tuck under the laces trick" not secure. I lost my sensor twice and had to retrace my steps to find it. The velcro ones are not secure enough. I bought the Shoe Pouch, which is very secure, and totally accurate. You can find it at http://www.shoepouch.com or on Podophile's page about hacking your shoe for the sensor. Since the Shoe Pouch is so inexpensive, I just used that product rather than trying to fashion one for myself or take my chances with the under the laces fiasco. As for the Amp+, i agree it seems a little out there and seems inconsistent with reality. Anyway, best of luck and enjoy!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple and Nike to sell Nike+Amp bracelet for iPods