or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › PiperJaffray: some retail clerks 'never heard of' Zune
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PiperJaffray: some retail clerks 'never heard of' Zune

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
A recent survey of consumer electronics retail stores conducted by PiperJaffray reveals that salespeople are recommending Microsoft Corp's Zune digital media player just 8 percent of the time.

In a research note distributed Tuesday, analyst Gene Munster said the 40-store survey found that clerks only recommended the Zune 8 percent of the time, while they recommended the iPod 75 percent of the time.

"In fact, some MP3 player salespeople had not even heard of the Zune, despite the fact that they sold it in their store," he wrote.

Munster said Microsoft appears to be targeting its Zune advertising campaign towards trend-setting teenagers, placing ads in magazines like Rolling Stone and Esquire in order to reach the target audience.

His checks show that Zune ads are also being placed more selectively than iPod ads, noting that among weekend holiday ads from three big-box retailers -- Target, Circuit City, and BestBuy -- only one showed a Zune while all three had iPod ads.

"These checks are in-line with our thesis that the Zune is off to a slow start; from sales perspective as well as the marketing perspective," he wrote.



Similarly, Munster noted that during the week of its launch, Zune held the 7th spot on Amazon's top 10 best-selling MP3 players list but has since slid down the rankings.

"The buzz that Microsoft was able to generate for the Zune's launch clearly helped the player in its first week, but much of the publicity took the form of Zune/iPod comparisons," he told clients.



Also recommended more often than the Zune were digital media players from SanDisk, which garnered praise from approximately 10 percent of salespeople surveyed by Munster. Digital media players from Creative and Samsung followed with 5 percent and 3 percent of the recommendations, respectively.

"I've never heard of the Zune," one digital media player salesperson reportedly told the analyst. Another asked, "Who makes that (the Zune)?"
post #2 of 52
While waiting in a very long line at Circuit City on Black Friday, the sales girl in the "MP3/iPods" section, was trying to sell the zune and ended up going to the iPod when they never showed any interest. She owned a zune and was showing it them. She tried to show off the wireless capabilities, but apparently it was turned off on the store model because she couldn't make it work.

When the store section says "MP3/Zune" instead of "MP3/iPod".... maybe Zune will stand a chance.
post #3 of 52
We're missing 5% in Jun-2005. Other months add up to 100%.

This just reminds me how used we are to unscientific data and take it for granted. I sincerely hope the actual reports had more depth to them. If I was a client, I wouldn't trust this data at all.
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

While waiting in a very long line at Circuit City on Black Friday, the sales girl in the "MP3/iPods" section, was trying to sell the zune and ended up going to the iPod when they never showed any interest. She owned a zune and was showing it them. She tried to show off the wireless capabilities, but apparently it was turned off on the store model because she couldn't make it work.

When the store section says "MP3/Zune" instead of "MP3/iPod".... maybe Zune will stand a chance.

If I were trying to sell an MP3 player, I wouldn't step foot near the zune. With all the problems people have with it I'd feel bad trying to sell one to somebody.
post #5 of 52
You have to give the Zune a chance! Admittedly it's had a quiet launch but the iPod wasn't the success it is now straight away. I don't see the Zune gaining the kind of market share Microsoft are hoping for but I'm sure they'll do reasonably well.

I remember only last year asking about MP3 players in my local electronics store, Dixons, and the salesperson trying to mention anything other than the iPod. Apple is still a dirty word in lots of places.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

We're missing 5% in Jun-2005. Other months add up to 100%.

This just reminds me how used we are to unscientific data and take it for granted. I sincerely hope the actual reports had more depth to them. If I was a client, I wouldn't trust this data at all.

I noticed that too... Like look at this year:

75 + 10 + 5 + 8 + 3 = 101%??

Even rounding error shouldn't do that...

Afterthought: Perhaps the missing 5% is for models that are no longer in the $200 range or are no longer being produced. That still doesn't explain the 101%...

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five

I noticed that too... Like look at this year:

75 + 10 + 5 + 8 + 3 = 101%??

Even rounding error shouldn't do that...

74.5% + 9.5% + 5.1% + 7.7% + 3.2% = 100% (examples only)

Yet rounding to the nearest whole number would yield 101%.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy

You have to give the Zune a chance! Admittedly it's had a quiet launch but the iPod wasn't the success it is now straight away. I don't see the Zune gaining the kind of market share Microsoft are hoping for but I'm sure they'll do reasonably well.

Good point. Watching the iPod launch keynote last month during the 5 year anniversary was interesting. The audience didn't seem as excited about the iPod release and I'm certain many thought that Steve had taken a wrong turn with Apple.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

Good point. Watching the iPod launch keynote last month during the 5 year anniversary was interesting. The audience didn't seem as excited about the iPod release and I'm certain many thought that Steve had taken a wrong turn with Apple.

You can't compare a slow Zune launch with a slow iPod launch. MP3 players were new things back then, people didn't know what to think of them. Today, the market is very saturated with MP3 players, namely, the iPod. People know what to think. I think the Zune will be on the top of the non-iPod players, but will be lucky if it takes even 1 or 2% of iPod's market. (no, I have no proof for that statement, but it's my gut feeling )
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

You can't compare a slow Zune launch with a slow iPod launch. MP3 players were new things back then, people didn't know what to think of them. Today, the market is very saturated with MP3 players, namely, the iPod. People know what to think. I think the Zune will be on the top of the non-iPod players, but will be lucky if it takes even 1 or 2% of iPod's market. (no, I have no proof for that statement, but it's my gut feeling )


I understand your point but I was comparing the slow acceptance of the iPod/Mp3 player with the slow acceptance of the Zune. I know many won't ever consider a Zune as they already love their iPod and use iTunes exclusively.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 52
I had a Circuit City employee, as mentioned inthe article, state that the ZUne was better than the ipod because it had an FM receiver and 802.11g wireless.

Why in the world would anyone want these features? Can the FM antenna be good enough to work and who still listens to radio when they have their music/videos with them? How much cost, weight and depleted battery time does the wi-fi add? What is the wi-fi really good for; certainly not for fast uploads?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 52
I was at a Best Buy on Sunday and my 10 year old son was looking at the Video iPod. A woman comes up to the salesman and tells him how her 19 year old daughter had asked for an iPod. This salesman did everything he could to steer her away from the iPod, including telling her all of the usual propaganda "iPod forces you to buy from iTunes, only plays Apple music, no other music available". My 10 year old started laughing at the salesman, and I just shook my head. The woman starts asking my 10 year old questions and he eventually sold her a new Nano. The salesguy was not pleased. I am surprised that there is so much anti-Apple among the salesfolk still. Is it just that other brands commission higher for the salesman?
post #13 of 52
What we did not see with the Zune at it's launch was the stampeed that the new games machines and other 'hot gadgets' are getting. Look at how the PS3 / Wii are flying off the shelves, these are new versions of an already saturated and mature market and yet people are fighting to get one. If the Zune was the 'big new hot toy' that MS wanted it to be you would be seeing 'sold out' signs at the stores. Instead it has had a luke warm reception, mixed press and for an estabished market, slow sales.

It does not appear to be the hot items this Xmas, even with the big marketing push from MS. More importantly it is not a global product. Apple sold the iPod worldwide right from the start. MS will not be selling the Zune outside the US for a year, so here in the UK the iPod really has no competition from MS.

If Zune is going to be successful it is going to take some time, maybe years, and it may never reach the current sales success of the iPod (which is a moving target). MS are always going to be playing catch up with branding, awareness, desirability and style, not to mention ease of use, iTunes and features.

Zune is good news, as Apple will need to make more effort to be competetive on both price and features, good news for the customer.

Ian
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy

You have to give the Zune a chance! Admittedly it's had a quiet launch but the iPod wasn't the success it is now straight away. I don't see the Zune gaining the kind of market share Microsoft are hoping for but I'm sure they'll do reasonably well.

I remember only last year asking about MP3 players in my local electronics store, Dixons, and the salesperson trying to mention anything other than the iPod. Apple is still a dirty word in lots of places.

I remember the iPod launch well. But unlike when hearing about the Zune, I was "wow" when I hear about the iPod. I had been looking at MP3 players for a couple of years, but it was ridiculous how little storage there was: 32, 64, 128 and maybe 256 MB were about the only capacities, and the 128 MB + ones were hundreds of dollars! Then came the iPod: 5 GB - Oh my goodness, I knew I had to have one, and, "Apple gets it" were my thoughts. And I bought a bunch of AAPL.
I can't even finish reading articles about the Zune because there is nothing interesting there. If the Zune gets any market share, it will be on the merits of marketing, not the player itself, in my opinion.
The iPod was not an evolutionary change, it was a revolution in thinking. Before iPod we listend to music as albums. Now we listen to random play. Even radio stations have changed their formats because the iPod created a demand for more variety: there are now radio stations were you might hear Miles Davis and Blink 182 back to back.
The iPod changed the music industry in so many ways. The Zune won't change anything, except if the beaming of songs takes off that might be cool, but not that cool.
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclawyer

I was at a Best Buy on Sunday and my 10 year old son was looking at the Video iPod. A woman comes up to the salesman and tells him how her 19 year old daughter had asked for an iPod. This salesman did everything he could to steer her away from the iPod, including telling her all of the usual propaganda "iPod forces you to buy from iTunes, only plays Apple music, no other music available". My 10 year old started laughing at the salesman, and I just shook my head. The woman starts asking my 10 year old questions and he eventually sold her a new Nano. The salesguy was not pleased. I am surprised that there is so much anti-Apple among the salesfolk still. Is it just that other brands commission higher for the salesman?

That stuff makes me puke. I just don't understand all of the anti-Apple sentiment. Most Mac users have chosen the Mac and for that reason have experience with multi platforms.... but sales people like that (and I had my full share of salepeople trying to steer me away - when CC sold Macs, etc.) probably have never actually used a Mac before - so how can they be so adamant about something they don't know....

I though for sure that becuase the iPod was actually popular with not just Mac users but a lot of Windows users that collectively they would see Microsoft for what it is... a crappy imitator that buys it's success...

You know, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Microsoft was paying retailers a little somethin'-somethin' on the side just to do crap like that.... Didn't they get busted for that...... ohhhhh that's right.... they can do whatever they want now that the DOJ has been DOA since 2001....
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky

Zune is good news, as Apple will need to make more effort to be competetive on both price and features, good news for the customer.

Let's not forget that MS will also need to pay car stereo makers, automobile and boat manufactures to make their devices "Zune ready"... and I really don't see that happening, especially if MS expects exclusivity.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 52
Personally I suspect Microsoft is going to try to build the Zune market through its XBox base, and ignore the rest of the market largely for now. I'm willing to bet they are banking on beating Sony in the console market and leveraging that into a solid music player market; putting music focus in the living room rather than on the computer, under the assumption that Apple's got the computer market locked.

We'll see how that plays out.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclawyer

I was at a Best Buy on Sunday and my 10 year old son was looking at the Video iPod. A woman comes up to the salesman and tells him how her 19 year old daughter had asked for an iPod. This salesman did everything he could to steer her away from the iPod, including telling her all of the usual propaganda "iPod forces you to buy from iTunes, only plays Apple music, no other music available". My 10 year old started laughing at the salesman, and I just shook my head. The woman starts asking my 10 year old questions and he eventually sold her a new Nano. The salesguy was not pleased. I am surprised that there is so much anti-Apple among the salesfolk still. Is it just that other brands commission higher for the salesman?

In your case, it couldn't be because of commission because Best Buy doesn't pay their salespeople commision. But, I think that anti-apple sentiment towards the iPod would be extremely rare. It's got such a huge market share, any salesman who tries to steer away from it would be an exception/nut.

That's not the same however for Mac vs. Windows.
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

Personally I suspect Microsoft is going to try to build the Zune market through its XBox base, and ignore the rest of the market largely for now. I'm willing to bet they are banking on beating Sony in the console market and leveraging that into a solid music player market; putting music focus in the living room rather than on the computer, under the assumption that Apple's got the computer market locked.

We'll see how that plays out.


How? I already have my 80 Gig Ipod connected to my Xbox 360. How is MS going to compell me to hook a Zune up.

Unless... Here' s a thought. What if they tied the new video D/L service on the Xbox to the Zune... You could download HiDef movies to your 360 and transfer them to your Zune for protability.

I know I can D\\L movies through Itunes, but my computer is not hooked to my T.V. and the resolution is all crappy on a big screen.

Hmmm... Maybe MS is on to something after all.

Aaron Harmon
post #20 of 52
yeah the zune market makes it easy if you dont have Windows Media center pc. Its almost like they said "hey this WMC didn't take off, lets include the cool streaming features in Zune store"

So I download the Zune store and stream all my music/pics/videos to my xbox. I also can now download HD movies for 6 bucks and 3 bucks for SD movies on my xbow. And not in this tiny crappy resolution.

I look for Zune/Xbox360/HD downloads to be all tied into one. The key player a lot of people are forgetting about is One Care. The backup features of this software is really nice and could easily become part of this equation.

Will it work, sorta
Will they market it well, nope
Will they dump millions into it, absolutley
Will it piss me off, yes
Will it give me something to do, yes<complain>
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster308

yeah the zune market makes it easy if you dont have Windows Media center pc. Its almost like they said "hey this WMC didn't take off, lets include the cool streaming features in Zune store"

So I download the Zune store and stream all my music/pics/videos to my xbox. I also can now download HD movies for 6 bucks and 3 bucks for SD movies on my xbow. And not in this tiny crappy resolution.

I look for Zune/Xbox360/HD downloads to be all tied into one. The key player a lot of people are forgetting about is One Care. The backup features of this software is really nice and could easily become part of this equation.

Will it work, sorta
Will they market it well, nope
Will they dump millions into it, absolutley
Will it piss me off, yes
Will it give me something to do, yes<complain>

I still won't buy a zune, at least not in it's current form. It just seams like a downgrade from an 80 Gig G5. I know it's probably better for watching videos, which I'll admit I do a lot (I work 3rd at a hospital). Nope, I'll stick with my G5 and wait to see what the G6 or Video Ipod looks like.

As far as "the social" goes, well all my friends moved out of state after college, my new co-workers are mostly middle aged women, while they're pretty cool for the most part, most of them couldn't tell you the difference between an Ipod and a $39.00 dollar Wal-Mart special. In fact alot of them call any MP3 player an Ipod (kind of like any facial tissue is a Kleenex and any video game counsole is a PlayStation) "My son wants a new PlayStation for Christmas, it's called the 360, do you know anything about those?"

Aaron Harmon
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

In your case, it couldn't be because of commission because Best Buy doesn't pay their salespeople commision. But, I think that anti-apple sentiment towards the iPod would be extremely rare. It's got such a huge market share, any salesman who tries to steer away from it would be an exception/nut.

That's not the same however for Mac vs. Windows.

As I said earlier I've seen a lot of anti-Apple sentiment at electrical resellers, especially established ones which sell PCs. I personally don't understand it but I think it could help the Zune out.
post #23 of 52
what's a zune?
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

That stuff makes me puke. I just don't understand all of the anti-Apple sentiment. Most Mac users have chosen the Mac and for that reason have experience with multi platforms.... but sales people like that (and I had my full share of salepeople trying to steer me away - when CC sold Macs, etc.) probably have never actually used a Mac before - so how can they be so adamant about something they don't know....

I though for sure that becuase the iPod was actually popular with not just Mac users but a lot of Windows users that collectively they would see Microsoft for what it is... a crappy imitator that buys it's success...

You know, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Microsoft was paying retailers a little somethin'-somethin' on the side just to do crap like that.... Didn't they get busted for that...... ohhhhh that's right.... they can do whatever they want now that the DOJ has been DOA since 2001....

You're right they're called spiffs. I use to do Demo Days at Circuit City for Apple. The sales staff were ALL PC centric and steered everyone they could away from Macs even while I was standing by helping another customer. I finally asked them why they didn't sell more Macs and they all said the same thing, they got large monetary spiffs when selling PCs and nothing for selling a Mac.
On the iPod subject. I have a friend who I setup with a Mac. When his wife went in to WalMart to get an MP3 player the sales girl told her not to buy an iPod because they didn't play MP3s! She came home with some cheap MP3 player for $99 that she can't use with her Mac and Itunes purchased music. The salesperson never bothered asking what computer she used. His wife was to afraid to tell me out of embarassment to take it back, yes she's not that bright. Her husband told me about it and I was furious with the WalMart drone!
post #25 of 52
this is exactly why the Zune commercials are horrible, nobody knows what the Zune is, yet Microsoft assumes that people will go buy it because it's called the "Zune". Also, I don't understand what's with their whole grungy/urban/ugly look, they act like bad design a good thing..

looks like they had a "high" time at their launch part though.. http://blackhawk.hlgaming.com/files/...-microsoft.jpg
post #26 of 52
some retail clerks 'never seen their dicks'

some of these folks aren't very tech savvy, to be fair.
post #27 of 52
Part of why the Zune launch is important is because the Zune's "killer feature" requires there to be a lot of Zune's out there. If you're the only one on the bus with an iPod, you have an MP3 player that you can use to it's fullest. If you're the only one on the bus with a Zune, all that wireless gets you is less playing time. Without it's killer feature, all the Zune is is a bigger, heavier, less compatible player
-- Jason
Reply
-- Jason
Reply
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

I had a Circuit City employee, as mentioned inthe article, state that the ZUne was better than the ipod because it had an FM receiver and 802.11g wireless.

Why in the world would anyone want these features? Can the FM antenna be good enough to work and who still listens to radio when they have their music/videos with them? How much cost, weight and depleted battery time does the wi-fi add? What is the wi-fi really good for; certainly not for fast uploads?

The specs claim 14 hours battery life with wifi off, 13 hours with wifi on. I don't know what it will eventually mean because synching doesn't make sense because wifi is turd slow, not much faster than USB 1.1. Synching is the best time to recharge anyway. It might make sense if you could use the Zune to buy tracks anywhere there's an open access point, but that isn't possible at the moment.

The sharing might help reinforce its popularity if there were a lot of them out there, but that's not the case. It is probably there on the assumption that music devices would be like social networking sites, you join a site because your friends are there and are supposedly less likely to go onto competing sites once you are established. The problem is, much like video phones and video chat, it's not really a selling point unless you know other people that have them, so there's a major issue with critical mass.

FM is good if you want live stuff like sports. The reception isn't terrible, but not necessarily great, that depends on the device and the surroundings.
post #29 of 52
I can't see either WiFi or FM as minus points on the Zune. I think FM could be a useful addition to the iPod - although not essential certainly. The Zune's drawbacks are it's weight, size and computer software and the fact it's relatively unknown.
post #30 of 52
If you want fm you can buy the add on adapter for like 20 bucks. I dont think its a big deal.
post #31 of 52
I saw the Zune kiosk at a local Office Depot and I have to say the larger screen IS significant and for a few minutes the eye candy GUI was intriguing, though that might get old after a while. This particular kiosk was fairly well designed and made the Zune available to play around with and listen to it through small speakers in the cabinet. If MS used many of these kiosks, then it wouldn't need much in the way of sales staff until the big purchase moment. My background is in museum exhibitry and even though the sample Zune looked like it might get trashed in a month, the bigger screen really made me stop in my tracks and consider it for a few minutes.

I sort of wished that the iPod had such a kiosk. The iPods in this store were all behind glass and though obviously popular, they required sales help. Apple should standardize iPod kiosks to allow people to play with sample devices. Maybe they have them, but I haven't seen them. The iPods-on-Tables displayed in Apple Stores of course won't work in most other stores.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy

I can't see either WiFi or FM as minus points on the Zune. I think FM could be a useful addition to the iPod - although not essential certainly. The Zune's drawbacks are it's weight, size and computer software and the fact it's relatively unknown.

Could the weight and size be influenced by the FM and WiFi?
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy

I can't see either WiFi or FM as minus points on the Zune. I think FM could be a useful addition to the iPod - although not essential certainly. The Zune's drawbacks are it's weight, size and computer software and the fact it's relatively unknown.

How about am reception? Yes I am an old fart at 35 but I love am because I am a news junkie and in the radio market I am in that means listening to am. Is this a make or break issue for me? No. But it would be a nice addition.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #34 of 52
I too would like a radio AM and FM for sports, NPR, etc. I have seen the criticisms though that antennae tech for AM is still difficult, but I bet there are chips the size of your pinkie nail that have all of the components of an AM/FM radio imbedded in them and they wouldn't take any more battery life, actually less, than playing mp3's. The Apple FM accessory with its integrated antennae is really the way to go, but I want AM too.

Actually this article, which is really about the iPod, probably describes the real reason MS is even doing a Zune.

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0...9164360,00.htm

They know that music/video and internet integration is going to be totally different than now, in the next 10-20 years. Whether the Zune itself makes a dime is probably less relevant to Redmond than just getting some sort of mobile media storage device in the market so that in 10 years they have a time tested platform for whatever the future might hold. It is a little more expensive for MS than just waiting for Apple to continue to innovate and copying - but MS needs to make sure that it is in a position to influence any new "standards" that the industry adopts, and I'm sure they would rather they weren't Apple standards.

So for now MS can "play around" in the market segment and try out a few things without appearing to be "betting the farm" on the Zune itself. I bet it is just trying to walk the line between pushing the market, but also being benignly neglectful about it too. Maybe I'm giving upper management in Redmond too much credit, but I doubt the lower managers running the Zune marketing and devo even know that upper management at MS is only making a relatively half-hearted effort. Now Microsoft's half-hearted effort is still huge compared to everyone else, but they haven't really been pushing this as big as they could.

This is just entering the game with a low bid hand and they have tons of chips to play with.

It does make me happy to see Apple stock soar, while MS stock sits where it has been for almost a decade!
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #35 of 52
It won't solve your sports requirement, but I find I prefer NPR on podcast rather than AM/FM. Downloading the shows rather than tuning in means I can cherry pick the shows I enjoy and not rely on being able to tune in according to their schedule.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Could the weight and size be influenced by the FM and WiFi?



Possibly but then they're a secondary point surely, they are not drawbacks in themselves they are just not good enough to make it worth the extra size and weight! Possibly the screen is the reason though?
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy



Possibly but then they're a secondary point surely, they are not drawbacks in themselves they are just not good enough to make it worth the extra size and weight! Possibly the screen is the reason though?

The screen did seem pretty nice at a glance. The orientation helps it show lists a lot better too, thankfully the screen didn't have weird polarizations that make it go loopy when you look at it on the side. Sansa's e2xx series has that annoying polarization, as do many phones. I think they went a little overboard with menu backgrounds, but in comparison, a blank white background seems a little boring and uninspired. Maybe white + a 90% transparency applied to an image might make break it up a bit.
post #38 of 52
The Zune is a steaming pile of manure but they'll still sell a decent number outside the retail channel because of the anti-Apple sentiment in the IT industry mentioned by someone above.

There are a lot of pro-Microsoft people who wish Apple had gone out of business and resent the fact that the iPod has instead seen the company not only survive but also prosper.

As for sales numbers, even if only MVPs (Microsoft's Most Valued Professionals) bought them, that's a six digit number of them ready to be snapped up.

I don't mind at all, as long as Microsoft doesn't manage to pull off a "Windows 3.0 vs Macintosh" on it (and we know who won that tussle - the Mac was almost sent into oblivion). The iPod needs competition.

I for one am bitterly disappointed there is no 6G iPod out to buy this Christmas. The tie-clip Shuffle, even as perfect an example of industrial design as it is, doesn't make up for no new generation of the flagship model.
post #39 of 52
I saw something on macnn today saying zune is #2 behind the iPod (9% or something)
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder

I saw something on macnn today saying zune is #2 behind the iPod (9% or something)

The Zune was #2 at 9% of the portable music player sales for the week of its launch. while the iPod was at 63% for its distributors for the same week. Note: That 63% doesn't include apple.com or Apple's brick & mortar stores where, I assume, most iPod sales take place.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › PiperJaffray: some retail clerks 'never heard of' Zune