or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acquires firm specializing in broadcast media software

Apple acquires firm specializing in broadcast media software

post #1 of 29
Apple Computer has acquired Proximity Corporation, a leading provider of creative media asset management and production workflow software for the broadcasting industry, a posting on the firm's website has confirmed.

"We are pleased to announce that all Proximity technology and intellectual property, including artbox workgroup and artbox enterprise, was recently acquired by Apple," the statement reads.

The privately held firm was formed back in 1997 with a focus of developing and marketing advanced rich media asset management (RMAM) and workflow optimization software for the broadcast, creative-production, gaming and corporate industries.

Over the past decade, Proximity's software solutions have emerged as the quintessential industry standard for the management and storage of broadcast rich-media assets.

Proximity caters to a client base of over 150 broadcasters and some of the industries biggest names, including CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, ESPN, BBC and KBS.

In 2002, the New York-based company was awarded a Technology Emmy for its artbox workgroup and artbox enterprise products. It also maintains offices in London and Sydney.
post #2 of 29
I smell another pro app in the making!
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

I smell another pro app in the making!

That does what?
stores things?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Proximity caters to a client base of over 150 broadcasters and some of the industries biggest names, including CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, ESPN, BBC and KBS.

I'm willing to bet this is one of the big reasons they bought them out. Sure their applications may be gold but the client base is pretty huge.

Obviously once this gets rewritten by Apple it will only be compatible with Apple hardware....and only compatible with Final Cut....
post #5 of 29
The next version of Final Cut Studio will be very different, will be the full package. Shake and all the seperate Pro Apple software applications like Final Cut Pro will become one thing, and all those apps will seemlessly integrate with one another. That whole package will possibly be called "Phenomenon".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 29
Currently Apple offers no stand alone video storage or management solutions.

Apple can use this software to create a consumer video storage and magnament app for iLife akin to iPhoto.

One of the biggest complaints about FCP is its mediocre media managment which this software would rectify in spades. This software wil likely be Aperture for video. Providing storage and managment of video elements for all of Final Cut Studio.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

The next version of Final Cut Studio will be very different, will be the full package, and will be called Phenomenon. Shake and all the seperate Pro Apple software applications like Final Cut Pro will become one thing, and all those apps will seemlessly integrate with one another.

Cool! I take it Steve called you personnally to bring you up-to-date??
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer has acquired Proximity Group, a leading provider of creative media asset management and production workflow software for the broadcasting industry, a posting on the firm's website has confirmed.

"We are pleased to announce that all Proximity technology and intellectual property, including artbox workgroup and artbox enterprise, was recently acquired by Apple," the statement reads.

The privately held firm was formed back in 1997 with a focus of developing and marketing advanced rich media asset management (RMAM) and workflow optimization software for the broadcast, creative-production, gaming and corporate industries.

Over the past decade, Proximity's software solutions have emerged as the quintessential industry standard for the management and storage of broadcast rich-media assets.

In 2002, the New York-based company was awarded a Technology Emmy for its artbox workgroup and artbox enterprise products. It also maintains offices in London and Sydney.

This is probably so Final Cut can compete better against AVID for the edit bays of broadcast facilities. Their network storage/access systems and software needs are an integral part of the edit suite solution and very different from the independent editor. This is good news for industry and Apple.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch pear

Who's Steve?
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

Currently Apple offers no stand alone video storage or management solutions.

Apple can use this software to create a consumer video storage and magnament app for iLife akin to iPhoto.

I never thought of that. You're right, currently video's from a camera are just kind of slapped into iPhoto - good solution.
post #11 of 29
Null.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #12 of 29
Looks like Steve started his holiday shopping early.

Thanks uncle Steve!
Your the BEST!
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch pear

Get a life.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by psilopsyche

Get a life.

Although I'm greatful to have people jump to my defence, I'm sure it was just simple sarcasm. Why don't we all just get along
post #15 of 29
I can see Apple becoming the SGI of Video/Audio. A complete Unix based package. But where SGI failed, Apple did the right thing by making the product line wide enough for all levels of consumers.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
I never thought of that. You're right, currently video's from a camera are just kind of slapped into iPhoto - good solution.

I tried consolidating my video collection into iTunes. Even though video storage and playback in iTunes is getting better. iTunes is clearly made for music and video just isn't its strong point.

Apple needs an app made primarily to manage video.
post #17 of 29
TenoBell has it.

The media management in FC Studio sucks in comparison the Avid offerings. Proximity clearly has some technology and/or experience that Apple need (or more likely have liked the stuff they have already bought so much, they decided to buy the company). Good indication that Apple are pushing on in the pro media space..
post #18 of 29
This sounds great! Now if Apple would only just get into the "enterprise" market and take on Active Directory, Exchange, Office, Outlook, Sharepoint, etc. Currently OS X can't begin to touch the enterprise market because it doesn't have answers to these Microsoft technologies. Not only does Apple not have the solutions to compete in this area, but OS X can't even integrate very well with Microsoft's solutions.

Oh, one more thing... a polished and unified GUI for OS X! The current UI is very lacking.

I'm a long-time Apple fan.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Now if Apple would only just get into the "enterprise" market and take on Active Directory, Exchange, Outlook, Sharepoint, etc.

Apple has always had a strong market position in creative content (video, music, photography, publishing, graphic design). The people who work in these field stayed fiercely loyal to the Mac, even in Apple's darkest days. So its easier for Apple to hold and dominate this market.

Windows dominates Enterprise in the same way. Even if Apple did attempt to compete in Enterprise Windows is so entrench its not likely to succeed.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

Well there is always "One More Thing" when you have an infrastructure that already works really well.
In the rare case that there isn't one more thing, the Infrstructure must be terminated and started from scratch

Example
Apple Works-Terminated
Now iWork

Uhm, AppleWorks hasn't been terminated. It's still around...
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV101

Uhm, AppleWorks hasn't been terminated. It's still around...

It's basically been on life support for a long time. It used to be included with all new macs, but it's not shipped on any Intel machine and there won't be an Intel port for it.
post #22 of 29
If i remember correctly, there were some rumblings early in the year, about
apple letting loose an extreme version of FCP, and if true this would fit nicely.
Maybe they have been looking at this company for awhile, waiting for the right
time to pounce on it and intergrate it to the fold.
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
The world belongs to who wants it , now who deserves it.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM

It's basically been on life support for a long time. It used to be included with all new macs, but it's not shipped on any Intel machine and there won't be an Intel port for it.

Probably the gold standard in testing Rosetta functionality as well, considering AW & ClarisWorks for Kids are some of the oldest, still running (and in use) apps to date...

I'm sure if a school bought some iMacs (or eMacs), AppleWorks would still be shipped with it.

It's not like iWork replaces AppleWorks for functionality.
post #24 of 29
This might mean a huge increase in the use of Final Cut Studio by TV stations.
post #25 of 29
Final Cut in tv stations would be great, I was always annoying for me to have an fcp background and jump on an avid that ran on windows half the time. I say fcp for life, fcp for president!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #26 of 29
I like all these thoughts, and I think these are all possible. What I wonder about is how this plays into the ipod/itunes story. Clearly apple isn't only about ipods (you don't need to remind me that apple's mission statement is "to make the best tools in the world for creative people") but recall that Disney has its movies on iTunes probably because of using pixar as a bargaining chip, and i suspect the story would be similar with blu-ray and sony pictures if that comes to pass. So what advantages does one get as being essentially a 21st century "broadcaster" by having relationships with traditional broadcasters? Is it the kind of thing where they can sweeten the deal on Proximity products to make moves for content? Just a thought.
post #27 of 29
Proximity's Artbox is an Asset Management tool. It's not really involved in content creation other than being a part of the workflow chain.

Apple sorely needed some sort of Asset/Media managment. Rather than role their own they can just take the best IP from the newly aquired Proximity.

Clearly there will be an extended High End Final Cut Studio. Apple's bought Final Touch color finisher and now Proximity. Both higher end tools and we know the Shake in its current incarnation is EOL.

The video production landscape in 2008 is going to be very interesting in Mac land.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #28 of 29
Quote:
The video production landscape in 2008 is going to be very interesting in Mac land.

I was hoping Apple had already been working to integrate Final Touch and Artbox into its product line up for 2007.
post #29 of 29
iStation here we come.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple acquires firm specializing in broadcast media software