or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Prudential: iPhone to sport Click-Wheel; video iPod by Q2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Prudential: iPhone to sport Click-Wheel; video iPod by Q2 - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

if the slim iPhone will be primarily an mp3 player with phone capabilities (instead of a phone with an mp3 player) then i think it will end up looking pretty much like a nano. you'll press the center button on the clickwheel, scroll down to "talk" (or "calls", "phone" etc) and you'll select from a list of contacts previously synched with iSync. you could have "playlists" with phone numbers/contacts organized in groups such as "family", "work", "friends", "emergency numbers", "bank", etc.

if you ever need to use a keypad, it will slide from under, or the clickwheel will open to reveal some kind of keypad. but it has to be arranged in the current layout of touch tone phones because that's standard and the easiest to use, unless apple thinks of something better.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
* 0 #

ah it will be beautiful, i can't wait to see it. </daydream>

I agree. I imagine it a cross between an iPod nano and a samsung D800 series. It will operate like an ipod until phone is selected from menu or the keypad is opened then it will go into a more traditional cell phone interface.
post #42 of 64
here is a picture of the iPhone design that confirms about the click wheel, as of filed by Apple last week:
http://www.mostofmymac.com/articles/...-apple-iphone/
post #43 of 64
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromos

Oo, you're right, forgot about those times. Well then, how about a very good subvocalization sensor?

That always works great in sci fi novels, but have you tried it at home?
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacthinker

here is a picture of the iPhone design that confirms about the click wheel, as of filed by Apple last week:
http://www.mostofmymac.com/articles/...-apple-iphone/

I don't really understand what you mean. That looks to be a 1G iPod Nano.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by themacthinker

here is a picture of the iPhone design that confirms about the click wheel, as of filed by Apple last week:
http://www.mostofmymac.com/articles/...-apple-iphone/


that was reported on AI last week. it was a patent for new ceramic zerconia covers that are invisible to radio. not the iphone

and as far as a key pad goes i really would not be suprised if apple whips out an old rotary interface. when you want to dial a picture of an old rotary phone comes up and you use the scroll wheel to dial the number. doesnt really explain the texting though.
at present:
20" 2GHz 2GB iMac Core Duo X.4 & Super Drive

next year:
27" 2.7GHz 4GB iMac Core Duo 3 X.5 & Ultimate Drive
Reply
at present:
20" 2GHz 2GB iMac Core Duo X.4 & Super Drive

next year:
27" 2.7GHz 4GB iMac Core Duo 3 X.5 & Ultimate Drive
Reply
post #47 of 64
You mean you can't scroll quickly through a list of 80 items with a scroll wheel and find the one you want? (26 * 2 + 10 + 16 punc)

I still say that a predictive input + scrolling would be slick.

Ooooooh.... what do you wanna bet that you can scroll through a 10-15k dictionary *REALLY* quickly, especially if it's hierarchically displayed? Don't enter letters, enter *words*. Fallback to raw letters when necessary.

Something like:

^
|
N
O
P <----- *click*
Q
R
S
|
V

Now only shows letter combos for words in the dictionary that start with P:

^
|
Pe
Ph
Pi <----- *click*
Pl
Po
|
V

^
|
Pie
Pif
Pig <---- *click*
Pih
Pik
|
V

At some point, the number of words left is small enough to just show all of them - no need to do every letter... for instance, Dictionary.app shows just 73 words that start with 'pig':

^
|
Pigfish
Pigfishes
Pigged <---- *click*
Piggeries
Piggery
|
V

Pig takes four clicks. So does pigheadedness.

Yeah? Yeah? I'm digging it. Might start to fight back against txtmsgspk lol

Non-word letter combos could be pushed to the bottom of the list as least likely. Heck, the whole list could be presented with the most likely combo already selected, and the rest of the list sorted predictively.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

It took Blackberry years to perfect their smartphone. MS is just getting the hang of it.


there have been some hilarious things said on this forum in the last eleven months
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

You mean you can't scroll quickly through a list of 80 items with a scroll wheel and find the one you want? (26 * 2 + 10 + 16 punc)

I still say that a predictive input + scrolling would be slick.

Ooooooh.... what do you wanna bet that you can scroll through a 10-15k dictionary *REALLY* quickly, especially if it's hierarchically displayed? Don't enter letters, enter *words*. Fallback to raw letters when necessary.

Something like:

^
|
N
O
P <----- *click*
Q
R
S
|
V

Now only shows letter combos for words in the dictionary that start with P:

^
|
Pe
Ph
Pi <----- *click*
Pl
Po
|
V

^
|
Pie
Pif
Pig <---- *click*
Pih
Pik
|
V

At some point, the number of words left is small enough to just show all of them - no need to do every letter... for instance, Dictionary.app shows just 73 words that start with 'pig':

^
|
Pigfish
Pigfishes
Pigged <---- *click*
Piggeries
Piggery
|
V

Pig takes four clicks. So does pigheadedness.

Yeah? Yeah? I'm digging it. Might start to fight back against txtmsgspk lol

Non-word letter combos could be pushed to the bottom of the list as least likely. Heck, the whole list could be presented with the most likely combo already selected, and the rest of the list sorted predictively.

Yikes, that would be a nightmare. It's not so much how many clicks it takes that matters, it's how long it takes you to do those 4 clicks. And what if the word you're trying to type out is not in the dictionary? No, give me a full size keyboard please.
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

The Razr is about as cutting edge as a spud.

mmm... i thought of Boxtie but i dont think they'd get it
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984

It takes that long to get production going? Sorry, I don't buy it. They don't know didly.

maybe they were thinking about Sonys PS3 production timetable

if i set myself up as an analyst, would i get paid for saying everyone at Apple would be having a dump over the next 3 months.. and it would SMELL...ok so the first bit i made up and the second bit is a rumour
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

You really didn't get the recognition you deserved for the Mayor Quimby post, I found it quite funny. I've never seen so many repitious posts about the iPhone on AI.

yeah you need to do the accent of Quimby in your head to get it fully..

as to repetitive posts... you havent been here long ... if you wanna see REALLY repetitive, try the HD-DVD Vs Blu Ray thread
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

Maybe the guy who did the morse code could read faster.

well judging by some of the texts i have gotten from "yoofs" id say READING skills were lacking

f U no wot i men
post #54 of 64
I *totally* did that accent in my head when I read that. I'm glad someone gave him props for doing it.

And yeah, that and the "Isn't it time for a plain old Macintosh again"? thread just refuse to die.
post #55 of 64
i DO like the "Pigheadedness" idea although it remains to be seen how it would feel to use, the IDEA is sound enough... except that my sister and her friends turn OFF predictive text!

i used an "ordinary" mobile last night and i struggled to re-learn typing things into it.. ive been using a SE p800 for about 4 years now, ive had 2 (1st one was stolen) and at one point i lost the button/key pad flap so had to navigate with only the stylus, and i got by its now my preferred form of navigation... although i think the Nintendo DS has an added influence there as well

to me a touch screen is, therfore a "must" but i wouldnt mind re-learning to use predictive text... but ony on buttons, i also used an LG chocolate phone and its touch sensitive buttons were VERY horrible to use, its owner wasnt pleased with it either.

how did we ever function without them?
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Yikes, that would be a nightmare. It's not so much how many clicks it takes that matters, it's how long it takes you to do those 4 clicks. And what if the word you're trying to type out is not in the dictionary? No, give me a full size keyboard please.

No, no, this isn't to replace the keyboard. (Full size? What, you want the phone to be 10" long? ) This is strictly to replace the idiotic numeric keypad text entry, which is already so damned slow as to be basically unusable nlss ur wllng 2 lk stpd. ie, how to use the click-wheel to most efficiently enter text *assuming* no numeric keypad, and no keyboard. I think the above would be quite doable.

Obviously, if a slide-out keyboard is doable, heck yes use that.

Also, as I said, non-dictionary combos (and non-already-used-by-user... aha! it learns!) would be at the bottom of the list. Still accessible, just not as common, so not as prominently placed.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #57 of 64
OK, yes, full-SIZED was the wrong word. I meant a full qwerty keyboard, like me precious Nokia 6820. I don't care if it slides out, flips up or folds open, I just don't want to use the number pad for typing which is y i get mgs lk this prolly.
post #58 of 64
Yeah, me either - and I think the click wheel *could* prove to be better at text input than a numeric keypad. Obviously, it's speculation, but I like the idea.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

Both of these statements are true.

Apple has shown a knack for doing things in a way that are difficult for other companies to replicate. Five years later still no one has made a device that can compete with the iPod.

Apple's corporate culture is different from everyone else. Apple does not release a device purely for profit. Palm and Blackberry will release what they have and improve on it as they go along.

Of course Apple has made many prototype versions of its own phone in the lab. Apple has not released any of the sub-par designs. They won't launch a product until they feel they have it just right.

Have you looked at the iPod HIFI? That design should have been killed. Or, how about the Newton. Apple has had its fair share of false-starts, like all good companies taking chances.

Regardless, I think the iPhone will be a good addition to Apple's stable of products.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne

Yikes, that would be a nightmare. It's not so much how many clicks it takes that matters, it's how long it takes you to do those 4 clicks. And what if the word you're trying to type out is not in the dictionary? No, give me a full size keyboard please.

You have to understand that his name isn't actually Kickaha.

It's Klickaha.
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoloszynski

Have you looked at the iPod HIFI? That design should have been killed.

I originally agreed with this opinion, but if it adds incremental revenue for Apple, why fight it?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I originally agreed with this opinion, but if it adds incremental revenue for Apple, why fight it?

It certainly didn't break any sales records but for the Mac fan it's a not a bad choice to have. I have one on my mantel with a Mac Mini (with USB 2,0 TV Tuner) atop it and an LG HDTV on the wall above that. I find the solution simple and works well enough for my tastes. After all, Apple is just trying to get a sliver of the sales from the 3rd-party vendors making similar items. Some better, some worse. For the money, sound, and features (digital audio and AIrTunes) I found it to be the only choice for me. I only wish it and the Mac Mini came in black or silver.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Have you looked at the iPod HIFI? That design should have been killed. Or, how about the Newton. Apple has had its fair share of false-starts, like all good companies taking chances.

Why are people trying to make the HiFi out to be a failure? I've seen the HiFi at Target, WalMart, Best Buy. The HiFi is likely selling very well.

As far as the Newton. That was done under an entirely different administration. Jobs so far has been just enough of a conservative maverick to have several hits and nothing as blunderous as the Newton.
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

Why are people trying to make the HiFi out to be a failure? I've seen the HiFi at Target, WalMart, Best Buy. The HiFi is likely selling very well.

As far as the Newton. That was done under an entirely different administration. Jobs so far has been just enough of a conservative maverick to have several hits and nothing as blunderous as the Newton.

I don't know either. It's quite good. Even Stereophile gave it one of their best products of the year notations. I have one, and agree.

It also sells pretty well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Prudential: iPhone to sport Click-Wheel; video iPod by Q2