or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft: We'll eventually 'be the leader' in digital media players

Microsoft: We'll eventually 'be the leader' in digital media players

post #1 of 108
Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday that it expects to sell 1 million of its new Zune music players by the end of next June, roughly the same amount of iPods Apple Computer has been selling each week.

"We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press.

Lee added that he expects Microsoft will eventually "be the leader" in the digital media player segment, especially once the Redmond, Wash.-based company rolls out more models of Zune and starts selling them internationally.

Thus far, Zune is available only in the United States and Microsoft has not disclosed any plans to begin selling the players overseas.

According to the AP, unit sales for Zune's first two weeks on the market were roughly the same, ranking No. 2 with about 9 percent (retail) share when assessed by NPD Group.

However, the report notes that "promotions for rival devices -- including much cheaper players -- during the 'Black Friday' week of Thanksgiving had Zune slipping to No. 5."

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in the web retailer's electronics category.
post #2 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press.

I wonder how much time it took to choose the proper color lipstick to put on this pig.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #3 of 108
I hope history doesn't repeat itself.
post #4 of 108
Quote:

Lee added that he expects Microsoft will eventually "be the leader" in the digital media player segment

Pfft.
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
New MacBook Pros next Tuesday!
post #5 of 108
Nice quote for the shareholders, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Getting 9% was pretty good, but that's a long way from topping apple.
post #6 of 108
Oh hell. They'll give them away by the millions and claims them as sales. This company has so damn much money to waste. They will soon see why even 2 years up on Sony's Playstation 3 won't convince people to drop that platform. The same will be with Apple's iPod platform.

However, they'll dump in billions to convince people they are the kings of both.

Perception is Reality.
post #7 of 108
Apple has nothing to worry about, and neither do you. If anything, the introduction of Zune will only force Apple's creative light bulbs to burn even brighter. I welcome whatever Apple thinks of next.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
post #8 of 108
LOL....

M$ Lost.
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
jtblq = jetblack in Ascarian
post #9 of 108
Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand? It seems to me like the product is destined to fail when it is even being sold by the iPod USB wall charger.
post #10 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand?

Well, for your statement to be correct there would have to be pent-up demand for the Zune in the first place...
post #11 of 108
hahahahahahahahahah.....wait, they were serious?
post #12 of 108
What he is really saying is that MS has hired 500 software coders (no need for QC here) to break iTunes on Windows. It will be broken with each Windows patch, or every time Windows phones home, whichever comes first.

Of course this will be blamed on sloppy coding practices of Apple and that they (Apple) are using sub-standard coding practices and the Windows team has to keep closing security holes that Apple developes in the Windows environment.

MICROSOFT PRESS RELEASE:

"Microsoft and their security partners have discovered that the vast majority of attacks against Windows is being enabled by the software product iTunes, from Apple. This software is leaving our customer base open to nefarious attacks by shady hackers the world over.

Microsoft has come up with a plan to allow you to improve your digital lifestyle, while keeping your computer totally secure.

Option 1) MS will replace your iPod with a Zune for $99.99 and replace your music library by giving you a 1 year subscription to the Zune Marketplace. This wil actually give you more music choice, as you are not tied to Apple's evil practice of charging you ONE WHOLE DOLLAR FOR EVERY SONG! (With Zune they are only 0.79 Marketplace Points). Please dispose of your e-waste by recycling, or donating to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Option 2) If you prefer to keep your iPod, you can download the ZUNE replacement firmware for your iPod for free and recieve a 6 months subscription to the Zune Marketplace. This will allow you to use a media player that's almost as good as the Zune with the number 1 music service in the universe, the Zune Marketplace.

Regardless of the option you chose above, we stand by our right to permantly disable iTunes on Windows effective immediately due to security risks to our loyal customers."

I just don't trust the bastards.

EDIT: Today Apple responded by offering a free "Zune Spammer" to anyone who asks for one. This device tracks the amount of time that it is used, and for every one hour of use, you recieve one Song download credit at iTS. The "Zune Spammer" is charged by connecting to the supplied USB cable. The cable recharges the spammer and reports to Apple the amount of time used so that you may be credited.

The simple "Zune Spammer" attempts to connect with any Zune that is near it and send to that Zune the complete works of Lawrence Welk! What a bargin.
post #13 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

Shouldn't the Zune be selling like hotcakes now more than ever, what with Christmas coming up and pent-up demand? It seems to me like the product is destined to fail when it is even being sold by the iPod USB wall charger.

I dont think enough people know about it. without a doubt most teens, especially those who hate apple whihc is a good number will know what a zune is but for other house members like soccer moms thinking what to get their kid they wont think of zune. there going to think "oh my kid wants a new iPod, so even if they dont want it it still looks good"

Probably next christmas there will be a bit more turnout
post #14 of 108
Don't over look M$ on this one. Zune has some nice features that makes it attractive to buyers.

Let's be fair and look without the rose colored glasses.
post #15 of 108
As I type this, Amazon is selling more Audio Technica's LP players than best selling Zune (black).
post #16 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

Nice quote for the shareholders, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Getting 9% was pretty good, but that's a long way from topping apple.

As a Microsoft shareholder, I continue to be disappointed in the performance of their flat stock.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

As a Microsoft shareholder, I continue to be disappointed in the performance of their flat stock.

Sorry mate, since the dot com bust MSFT has been fUxx0red. At least you're getting dividends? Is that like a 2% return per year or something?
post #18 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkane

Don't over look M$ on this one. Zune has some nice features that makes it attractive to buyers.

The only Zune feature that makes it better then an iPod is the built in FM radio function. Everything else is just a joke... Wi-Fi that doesn't do anything but share songs with other Zune's and only for three plays. Not to mention that restriction is put in place on anything, even DRM/copyright free podcasts.
post #19 of 108
The only way Microsoft will ever be the leader in the MP3 Player market is if they mail one for free to everyone's home, which is not something I would put past them.
post #20 of 108
One million would be 2% of the worldwide market.
post #21 of 108
Quote:

Word!

Also, let us call them Microsoft not "M$".
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #22 of 108
I smell bullshit here, and Balmer sweat! What a load of shit..
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #23 of 108
Quote:

I would, if they weren't hell bent on having a monopoly on anything they touch.
To Hell with Microsoft and to Hell with their new "Market innovations" and "expansion"
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #24 of 108
Behold the power of iPod.

WSJ reports that Norah Jones is selling in unrestricted MP3 format at Yahoo. Why? They don't sell well with the non-Fairplay DRM because the kids won't buy something that they can't load on their iPods. This is almost scary if not for the fact that I own AAPL. Heh.

In the face of such dominance, I don't see how MS throwing barrels of money at Zune remains an economically sound proposition for Microsoft. Sounding more and more like MS's Zune effort is driven more by pride and ego than business sense.

I have some MSFT too but everyday I think about dumping my whole position. MS to me is the GM of the tech industry. They really have only two successful products, Windows and Office. Every other major product they've tried to peddle have been dismal failures concealed beneath piles of cash.
post #25 of 108
Quote:

However, the report notes that "promotions for rival devices -- including much cheaper players -- during the 'Black Friday' week of Thanksgiving had Zune slipping to No. 5."

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in web retailer's electronics category.

Yeah, 55th place definitely is better than 5th.

/sarcasm

wtf? [I'm making fun of [AppleInsider (sry!)] I realize the logic, it just sounds odd. Don't read into it too much.

-=|Mgkwho
post #26 of 108
""We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press."

How much freaking Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you believe that the worlds' largest computer company is "actually pretty awesome" because their spanky new miracle device is pwned by (among other things) a 50-pack of blank CDs, a sleeve that holds your competition's model, and the weakest Palm handheld they make?

Good luck with that.
post #27 of 108
Quote:

The player is fairing little better over at Amazon.com, where it has slipped to the 55th-best selling item in web retailer's electronics category.

Yeah, and have you read the Zune fanboy reviews for the thing..... I love the one iPod revewer who rated the 80gb iPod one star and said: "Moving on to bigger and better".... (by which he meant the Zune)...

Looks like Stevie B has been staying up nights trying to drag down the iPod's review and cranking up the Zune's....
post #28 of 108
Microsoft is very good at selling crap to uninformed consumers. Windows proves that. The question is: Will the legions of suckers who bought Windows also buy Zunes now that they've seen the iPod? As the old song goes:

"How 'ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm
after they've seen Paree?"
post #29 of 108
Quote:

Yeah you're right! Like music and videos, the ipod's got nothing on the zune. Plus it's got wifi!
I can tell send my friend a song for 3 plays, and I can have a picture of a naked girl as my player background now we're big pimping!

There's no way apple can add all these gorgeous features to the ipod next time around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #30 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho

wtf?

-=|Mgkwho

55th in Amazon Sales but 5th in Digital Audio Player Sales overall
post #31 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansky
"Microsoft is very good at selling crap to uninformed consumers. Windows proves that. The question is: Will the legions of suckers who bought Windows also buy Zunes now that they've seen the iPod?"

I'm counting on exactly this. Looked at from this impersonal perspective, itdoesseem odd that the pattern exists for Mr. Gates to take his design cue from Apple, create an obviously inferior product, and have people line up to buy it.

I remember when Lotus, Ashton-Tate, and Borland looked down their nose at M$'s first windows attempts (kinda like the Zune). Interestingly, people believed that M$ was the lower cost alternative to the GUI WYSIWYG interface by Apple, who was positioned by M$ as a risky choice (similar to the VHS/ Beta war wherein Sony was clearly better but lost the bout).

I sincerely hope that Apple continues on with their spectacular climb but I also hope that mom & pop America do what they did so many times before and choose an inferior product because I have a small vested interest, like SpamSandwich, in seeing the M$ stock do well.
post #32 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho

wtf?

Just to clarify, #55 is in Amazon's top electronics, which include cameras, LP turntables, and any mp3/iPod accesory, such as an armband or headphones. While #5 refers to companies that makes portable music players. The order for that week were Apple @ 39.4%, SanDisk @ 39.3% (due to excessive price drops), Creative Tecnologies, Memorex, and Microsoft @ 9%. MS' percentage stayed about the same for it's second week but fell to 5th place as the other companies had better saving. Note that Apple had 63% for the previous week before Black Friday.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #33 of 108
I work at sears and microsoft just keeps sending us Zunes. We have over 40 in the stock room now. We usually only get a half dozen ipods each shipment (sell out pretty quickly this time of year).

I'm wondering if some promotion is going to start due to the large numbers.
post #34 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino

""We think that's actually pretty awesome," said Bryan Lee, corporate vice president for Microsoft's entertainment group, as quoted by the Associated Press."

How much freaking Kool-Aid do you have to drink before you believe that the worlds' largest computer company is "actually pretty awesome" because their spanky new miracle device is pwned by (among other things) a 50-pack of blank CDs, a sleeve that holds your competition's model, and the weakest Palm handheld they make?

Good luck with that.

I really don't think your being objective with Amazon's electronics's ratings. The more inexpensive the item is, the more potential customers you have. Especially if that item is disposable. Comparing the sales of a Creative Zen or iPod 5.xG is certainly more indicitive.
post #35 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

I really don't think your being objective with Amazon's electronics's ratings. The more inexpensive the item is, the more potential customers you have. Especially if that item is disposable. Comparing the sales of a Creative Zen or iPod 5.xG is certainly more indicitive.

ok let's see then... in the same Top Consumer Electronics list on Amazon where Zune is #68, the iPod has 5 of the top 10 spots.

so it makes perfect sense to compare the 30gb iPod Video at #2 with the 30gb Zune at #68

even the Creative Zen 30gb is #21
post #36 of 108
I wonder how many Zunes will be returned after Christmas?

Let's see, by my calculations, it would take Microsnot at least 40 years to catch up to where Apple is already in the installed base.

Nice try Microsoft, I think Microsoft employees have not only drank the wrong Kool Aid, they are spiking it with massive amounts of drugs.
post #37 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Remember, Microsoft is losing $50 on each Zune sold. More if they get a lot of returns after Christmas. Not everyone wants a Zune for Christmas.

Microsoft wanted to take over the game box market and they are still losing money on Xbox.

Microsoft still has to prove to everyone they can make an OS that doesn't have virus problems. That's the real challenge.
post #38 of 108
So if Apple are selling 1 million players a week, and Microsoft say they'll sell 1 million players by the end of June, that means Microsoft anticipate that they'll have 1/30th of the market share of Apple over the 6 month period. If Apple have 70%, then Microsoft are going to be pleased with 2.3%! Massive sales of 33,000 a week!

I read somewhere a week or so ago that they had ordered 3 million Zunes. I wonder if that's been scaled back a bit... or they'll be selling the same model Zune in 2010.
post #39 of 108
Quote:

Microsoft Corp. said Wednesday that it expects to sell 1 million of its new Zune music players by the end of next June...

Before it's lack luster release on the market, microsoft claimed that they would sell over 1 million Zunes for the holiday gift giving season. Seems they are scaling back expectations already.
Cheers !
Cheers !
post #40 of 108
A few years back Microsoft said they would not be entering an already saturated market of mp3 player and now we have them selling sh*t colored ipod-clones. Only if we could trust Microsoft and what they said, I bet most of the Microsoft Software engineers own iPods and use a Linux box or a mac at their home and not WinBlows. Microsoft's DRM is more restricting than Apple's.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft: We'll eventually 'be the leader' in digital media players