or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Source: Three iPods on Apple roadmap for 2007
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Source: Three iPods on Apple roadmap for 2007

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
As it stands, Apple Computer hopes to introduce three new iPod models during the 2007 calendar year, AppleInsider has learned.

A source often familiar with the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's music plans says a copy of its current roadmap calls for three distinct models to make their debut at various intervals throughout the new year.

First and foremost is said to be a video-centric model that will either replace or supplement the aging fifth-generation iPod, though details of the two other models are unclear at this point.

Still, it could be some time before this much rumored "true video iPod" makes its debut, if at all.

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has so far been unwilling to commit the marketing and other resources necessary to bring the device to market.

That is, they say, until he can more adequately assess real-world reaction to the company's new iTunes movie service and iTV set-top box, following the release of the device early next year.

In a much overlooked statement issued by Apple vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing Greg Joswiak in October, the exec did his part in attempting to reset expectations of further iPod announcements in the near term.

"The new iPod shuffle completes our all-new lineup of iPods for this holiday season and beyond," he said in a statement to members of the media when announcing availability of the company's most affordable iPod to date.

Over the next several weeks, Apple will become an increasing focus of the mainstream media as it attempts to get a lead on the company's plans for the annual Macworld gathering during the second week of January.
post #2 of 64
Do you think Jobs expected most of the movie studios to be aboard for this holiday season? It took the TV studios ta year to come aboard but that is a different market type altogether.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 64
I bet one of the three is a phone....
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
Good for <del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks
<del>wiki</del>OpenLeaks for Good
Reply
post #4 of 64
why should apple be like every other company and break it if it's fixed? is there something inherently wrong with their current iPod lineup, so much so that it requires a complete revamp of their lineup? for what?

think about it for one second and hark back a year or two when people were clamoring for an iPod with an FM radio; with a satellite radio add-on; with a feature that could locate the nearest 17 iPods within a 3.5-mile radius; and so on. kind of lame features now, don't you think?

it's no wonder that jobs can sleep at night with all the crappy add-ons people have recommended, and that he has so vehemently prevented from contaminating a device that does one thing, and does it very, very well.
post #5 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytogobuddy

I bet one of the three is a phone....

What makes you think that? I haven't heard anything about Apple making a phone.
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

What makes you think that? I haven't heard anything about Apple making a phone.

Seriously. Where did he pull that one from?
post #7 of 64
Dammit. When is this supposed real video iPod supposed to come out then? Promises, promises. Last I heard, the Apple event in January was supposed to be the target date. I've had a couple hundred set aside ever since my main iPod got rain damage. I've been languishing with a shuffle (handy, but not when I've got 5000 songs). If they don't release this thing soon, I'm gonna go crazy.

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipT

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.

Happened to me with the fourth gen. urg!
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

First and foremost is said to be a video-centric model that will either replace or supplement the aging fifth-generation iPod, though details of the two other models are unclear at this point.

Still, it could be some time before this much rumored "true video iPod" makes its debut, if at all.

So he should delay it. Without TV shows & movie services in place globally the 'aging 5G iPod' and the 'true' one are all but pointless. The clear market for these is TV shows on the train to work (not sure about Movies). He also needs to get proper pseudo-TV channels up & running on iTS, at the moment normal TV is still where I decide what to get, and a decent multi-show pricing model to compete with existing channels.

Unfortunately for Steve unless he releases these service-less (outside of the US) devices soon the average consumer, who buys stuff in specifications not capability, will be lured to the Zune which has those specs now.

McD
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Reply
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipT

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.

Hurry up and get it already then! The rest of us are holding off too.
oneof52
Reply
oneof52
Reply
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52

Hurry up and get it already then! The rest of us are holding off too.

lol. no. I'll wait for someone else to jump the gun so I don't have to.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave

Unfortunately for Steve unless he releases these service-less (outside of the US) devices soon the average consumer, who buys stuff in specifications not capability, will be lured to the Zune which has those specs now.

McD

Huh? The Zune isn't available outside the US (and Canada?) yet and has no video or TV services at all.

I agree Apple needs to add these services outside the US before they can expect them to sell but people won't be turning to Zune as an alternative, because it isn't, even in the USA.

In the UK today, Sky (Owned by News International aka Fox aka Myspace.com aka Rupert Murdoch) and Google inked up a deal to distribute Sky TV content via services from Google and give all of Sky's 8+ million customers services via Google including email, IM and VoIP. That's Apple's competitor.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has so far been unwilling to commit the marketing and other resources necessary to bring the device to market.

That is, they say, until he can more adequately assess real-world reaction to the company's new iTunes movie service and iTV set-top box, following the release of the device early next year.

So don't release these new iPods if reaction to iTunes movie downloads and iTV is lackluster. Well what about the folks who hold out on downloading movies or deciding to purchase an iTV until a new iPod is unveiled? Surely there has to be people out there with that type of mindset.
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

What makes you think that? I haven't heard anything about Apple making a phone.


HAHA

It think December 5th was offically iPhone day here on AI.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipT

And you know that if I cave and just buy a 5G, the new one will be released the next week.

Then could you please do us a favor and buy a damn 5G already...

EDIT: sorry oneof52, I now see you beat me to it.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

People familiar with the matter tell AppleInsider that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has so far been unwilling to commit the marketing and other resources necessary to bring the device to market.

That is, they say, until he can more adequately assess real-world reaction to the company's new iTunes movie service and iTV set-top box, following the release of the device early next year.

I won't buy another iPod unless it's the true video iPod. Assess that Mr. Jobs.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984

I won't buy another iPod unless it's the true video iPod. Assess that Mr. Jobs.


I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

First and foremost is said to be a video-centric model that will either replace or supplement the aging fifth-generation iPod, though details of the two other models are unclear at this point.

Surely the other two models would be the iPod phones. They are being described as iPods with phone capabilities as opposed to the other way around, right?

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?

A screen worth watching video on. In other words an iPod with a "big" widescreen display. Touch screen/bezel interface.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?

Widescreen w/ better resolution. I'm holding off too -- and I still have a 1st gen iPod!
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo

Widescreen w/ better resolution. I'm holding off too -- and I still have a 1st gen iPod!

Gotcha.
I understand now....
Just like on the "Profits will never be in the Black", "Doodoo Brown", and "Squirt White" Zunes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_is_dynamite

What makes you think that? I haven't heard anything about Apple making a phone.

You're not listening.
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

Gotcha.
I understand now....
Just like on the "Profits will never be in the Black", "Doodoo Brown", and "Squirt White" Zunes.

Better than that! The whole iPod is a screen with a virtual scrollwheel or touch sensitive bezel. Like in the recent patents filed.

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign

Huh? The Zune isn't available outside the US (and Canada?) yet and has no video or TV services at all.

I agree Apple needs to add these services outside the US before they can expect them to sell but people won't be turning to Zune as an alternative, because it isn't, even in the USA.

In the UK today, Sky (Owned by News International aka Fox aka Myspace.com aka Rupert Murdoch) and Google inked up a deal to distribute Sky TV content via services from Google and give all of Sky's 8+ million customers services via Google including email, IM and VoIP. That's Apple's competitor.

Isn't Google's CEO on Apple's Board of Directors? Do you think this may be a cooperative opportunity rather than a competitive threat?
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizox

Isn't Google's CEO on Apple's Board of Directors? Do you think this may be a cooperative opportunity rather than a competitive threat?

It's both. Google really doesn't compete directly with anything Apple is doing but with Apple's growing marketshare and Google's historically lackluster and slow moving support for OS X it's in both companies best interest to support each other.

...At least for the time being. I'm still waiting for Google's OS-free, internet appliance to come to fruition.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny

Then could you please do us a favor and buy a damn 5G already...

EDIT: sorry oneof52, I now see you beat me to it.


Hey, whatever it takes to get ChipT to buy the 5G see we can get the new ipods.
oneof52
Reply
oneof52
Reply
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

I'll be honest, I've never under this "iPod w/Video" and "true video iPod" nomenclature. In what way would the latter differ over the former? In other words, what features would make a video-capable iPod "true"?

When the 5th gen iPod was released, it was not called a video iPod or iPod video by Jobs or Apple, and I think in the orignal presentation it was called "iPod with video". Many have speculated that it meant there was going to be an iPod video with a larger screen that was also presumably a widescreen. Apple as since removed (with video) from everything except their support site.
post #28 of 64
iPod shuffle
iPod nanao
iPod "classic"
iPod video (widescreen/touchscreen) *NEW*
iPod phone (phone based on nano) *NEW*
iPod TV (The iTV will be an ext of the iPod brand) *NEW*
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave

So he should delay it. Without TV shows & movie services in place globally the 'aging 5G iPod' and the 'true' one are all but pointless.

Maybe for you but I'm down with using software to convert vids myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #30 of 64
Holy crap. Jobs is starting to act like Dan Reeves when he was the Denver Broncos coach...Gets the ball near the goal, but never quite settles on a strategy to get it in there. Being number one (iTunes) has disadvantages, too. The lead is there for them to lose now.

Apple is getting too conservative with it's product releases. One doesn't need to bet the whole farm on every new product. Release more often and in smaller quantities until the market is proven. There's already dozens of different manufacturers with personal digital video players out there. Unbelievable.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Holy crap. Jobs is starting to act like Dan Reeves when he was the Denver Broncos coach...Gets the ball near the goal, but never quite settles on a strategy to get it in there. Being number one (iTunes) has disadvantages, too. The lead is there for them to lose now.

Apple is getting too conservative with it's product releases. One doesn't need to bet the whole farm on every new product. Release more often and in smaller quantities until the market is proven. There's already dozens of different manufacturers with personal digital video players out there. Unbelievable.

Totally believable. This is what makes Jobs so good. He has the balls to delay and refine until the product is ready. At this point there is simply no indication that these video players have any sort of market yet. Being first in the market with a piece of shit is a fool's game.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57

Totally believable. This is what makes Jobs so good. He has the balls to delay and refine until the product is ready. At this point there is simply no indication that these video players have any sort of market yet. Being first in the market with a piece of shit is a fool's game.

You're right, it is believable, but Steve has stepped out of character with iTV. I still cannot fathom what's the end game for that product. And Steve could still end up killing it tomorrow.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #33 of 64
You guys have to keep in context this whole "true video iPod" is internet conjecture. Apple has never officially announced any intention of release such a device.

The iPod is still selling like hot cakes with no sign of slowing down. We don't know what other ideas Apple may have.
post #34 of 64
I am so tired of waiting, Steve where's my widescreen ipod! 120gig! please dude!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #35 of 64
im thinking new 6G ipods (so thats 1&2) and a 1G video ipod (maybe if steve aproves it would be 3)
post #36 of 64
I'll second Gugy... I've been wanting a new iPod for over three years now but the 3" screen is too small...

By the way... this is my first post on AI after reading all year long and am a big Apple fan. Great timewasting website!
Currently: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 21" Wacom Cintiq, 1.42 GHz Power PC G4 Mac Mini, iPod 2G
First computer: Apple ][+
Macs I've owned: Mac LCiii, Blueberry G3 iBook, Power G4 Titanium 15"
Reply
Currently: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 21" Wacom Cintiq, 1.42 GHz Power PC G4 Mac Mini, iPod 2G
First computer: Apple ][+
Macs I've owned: Mac LCiii, Blueberry G3 iBook, Power G4 Titanium 15"
Reply
post #37 of 64
What I would love to see....
32 Gb flash memory
Screen roughly the size of the zune, but widescreen
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #38 of 64
a widescreen ipod made for video would be a stupid joke if it only had 2-3 hours battery life like the 5g has....I think that's the real hold back.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

iPod phone (phone based on nano) *NEW*

Personally I'd recommend going with "iFon."

...not that I see myself wanting one.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidzLA

Personally I'd recommend going with "iFon."

...not that I see myself wanting one.


iPod may be ubiquitous these days but the name sounded strange to me when I first heard it since Pod referred to it's size/shape and not to what it does. I hope they go with something totally un-heard of. I half expect a term that means a joining of two things. A quick peruse to dictionary.com's Thesarus yeilds: iDuo, iSpan, iJibe, iConnect, iJoin, iMix, iFuse, iFlux, iFlow, iSwitch.*


* Disclaimer: These do not reflect my actually desires for a name, but merely examples of a hypothetical naming scheme based on the coalesced features of a cell phone and portable music player.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Source: Three iPods on Apple roadmap for 2007