or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Illuminous UI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Illuminous UI

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
I just read this at gizmodo and i wonder if someone here knows something about that!

tank6b
post #2 of 53
Bullshit.
The most modern trend is to tone down everything UI. What Microsoft does is what all people without taste do: they hear what's in fasion, and then they copy that ... without any taste.
In XP, MS wanted 'color'. So they introduced the Fisher Price look.
Now everyone applauses the OSX GUI, MS wants that too. 3D, transparancy, woohoo ! ... So now they have an XBOX-game like interface. Slick, shiny, and prone for eye-fatigue after two days.

They don't get it. As always.

A GUI must be pleasant, sure, but not 'in the way' (as MS' OS always does as a whole). An interface with lotsa 3D buttons, highlights and useless distractions (transparant window borders, just for the sake of it ?) just degrades the user experience.
They confuse outdated Flashgame graphics as 'hip', unthough I'm sure a lot of Joe Sixpack's out there will like it.
post #3 of 53
Quote:
Bullshit.

Seconded.
post #4 of 53
It almost reads like a parody. It's that unbelievable.
post #5 of 53
I believe that Apple will take a big step in their UI design - however, I don't buy the "why" story.

Apple isn't just gonna do it because their UI isn't good enough - they're gonna do it to say "well, our previous design is no longer good enough - we're iterating off of it and making it better"

Which, of course, will leave MS with their pants down and the Aero UI left hung out to dry.
It took them 6 years to reply to OS X's interface - so how hilarious is it that Apple's moving on right as Vista comes out?


I think they're going to take it to a refinement and detail level up to what Aperture currently presents. It might not LOOK like Aperture - but it will take cues on detail, UI context, animation and refinement.

Here's a better written article:
http://www.applegazette.com/mac/rumo...th-illuminous/
post #6 of 53
Given how powerful CoreAnimation is, and with such a light footprint (pawprint? ) it could easily be adopted into the operating system. If Apple are trying to remain competitive with Microsoft, then it would be in their best interest to come out with a new UI.

What would be amazing is if they brought all the Core technologies to the surface in the operating system. Obviously make it functional, but also extremely innovative.

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the longest gap between OS upgrades we've had since 10.0? They've gotta be up to something clever in the labs
post #7 of 53
Gizmodo is just being cheeky.

I don't know if the "Illuminous" name is correct (though I kinda like it, and like what it portends), but I'll bet anything Jobs will announce a refreshed UI for the big Leopard preview at MWSF with a brand new name, just as he did with Aqua in 2000, six long years ago.

If Apple's recent HW designs are any guide, it'll be more minimal than glitzy, but it *will* feature some very, very cool new stuff.
post #8 of 53
Okay I think I might be onto something.....I just thought of this so if anyone thinks I'm crazy by all means tell me but....

Look at the Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) box....look at the X....what color is it? One might say silver but I was thinking more aluminum.... brushed aluminum. What UI dominate in Tiger? Brushed aluminum!

Now, let's look at the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) X...what color is it? Black. Not just any black but....polished black! Look at the UI in Time Machine....what color is the navigation bar down at the bottom? Polished black!

I think I'm on to something.... 8)
post #9 of 53
Um... I think I read a rumor about Apple updating their UI in the latest build to look like iTunes or something like that on the Boards. I need to start making notes of stuff like this but it would fall in line with a new Name ya know?

I also remember reading some articles on Think Secret about Apple dropping the Brushed Metal. In all the builds they've been removing brushed metal (good news for Safari on my part because I dropped it about 5 seconds after I had Camino installed, I simply hated that Brushed Metal on first sight) in their Applications (iCal, Safari, etc.) so let's see what Illuminous has in store

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman

Okay I think I might be onto something.....I just thought of this so if anyone thinks I'm crazy by all means tell me but....

Look at the Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) box....look at the X....what color is it? One might say silver but I was thinking more aluminum.... brushed aluminum. What UI dominate in Tiger? Brushed aluminum!

Now, let's look at the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) X...what color is it? Black. Not just any black but....polished black! Look at the UI in Time Machine....what color is the navigation bar down at the bottom? Polished black!

I think I'm on to something.... 8)

HAHA... I'd have to say you were, because the Scroll Bar in iTunes is the same as the one in Time Machine: Polished Black.

Sebastian

EDIT: I suppose they didn't do that with Jaguar (spotted X and all) did they?
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #11 of 53
Quote:
I think they're going to take it to a refinement and detail level up to what Aperture currently presents. It might not LOOK like Aperture - but it will take cues on detail, UI context, animation and refinement.

Probably with some 'showy' stuff like the CD viewing from iTunes.

Apple have had 6-7 years to work on the successor to 'Aqua'.

It's about time the Black Leopard illuminous Aperture cat was let out the box. Tying up those loose visual continuity issues...

I hope the finder is redone top to bottom.

I'm expecting a Vista hoe-down. Ergo: secret feature. No march to steal this time, M$.

Pants down. Dick left holding...wind and tumble weeds.

Me hopes...

Lemon Bon Bon8)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #12 of 53
I would imagine iTunes is some clue of the direction things are headed in.

Many people complained that it did not have aqua sliders and controls any more. The irony is that some people complained about aqua when it was first presented as being too much eye candy.

But I like the new interface feel. Aqua was a revelation for its time but now its time to move on to something new.
post #13 of 53
Thread Starter 
post #14 of 53
Quote:
The irony is that some people complained about aqua when it was first presented as being too much eye candy.

HA!

You can never have too much Eye Candy (Truth be told I rather like the Vista Aero Glass look) as long as it is not intrusive and doesn't turn into unneeded bloat.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #15 of 53
I like a polished OS, but Vista's teh Shiny® is a tad garish to me. Just because something CAN be shiny, doesn't mean it should. Or just because something can be translucent doesn't mean it should. It's like living in a house with clear plastic covers on all the furniture.

I would like Apple to have choices of themes. I know they have used their GUI design to stand out, but very soon, Aqua is going to seem stale. I don't know if I believe the Illuminous rumor, but I do look forward to some change.

Leopard excitement growing... growing...
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #16 of 53
Quote:
I like a polished OS, but Vista's teh Shiny® is a tad garish to me. Just because something CAN be shiny, doesn't mean it should. Or just because something can be translucent doesn't mean it should. It's like living in a house with clear plastic covers on all the furniture.

The thing about Aero is that it's useful for showing stuff behind your Windows on the Desktop, and Flip3D shows much more information then Flip. It's eyecandy that is actually useful. Personally I find F11 much more useful then that though :P

As for Illuminous, personally I'm all for it. Aqua is really nice already and I'm all for Improving it

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

The thing about Aero is that it's useful for showing stuff behind your Windows on the Desktop...

Don't you remember OS X 10.0? Menus were ridiculously transparent and inactive window titlesbars were transparent. It was awful.

I think you're a minority here that thinks seeing things behind windows or menus is actually important.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Don't you remember OS X 10.0? Menus were ridiculously transparent and inactive window titlesbars were transparent. It was awful.

I think you're a minority here that thinks seeing things behind windows or menus is actually important.

No I don't remember it because I just bought my Macbook Core 2 Duo, 3 weeks ago to the day.
Perhaps you know where a Screenshot is?

However, I didn't say it was important, I just don't think it would be intrusive. Eyecandy is not a bad thing, it should just be lower on the priority list.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

No I don't remember it because I just bought my Macbook Core 2 Duo, 3 weeks ago to the day.
Perhaps you know where a Screenshot is?

However, I didn't say it was important, I just don't think it would be intrusive. Eyecandy is not a bad thing, it should just be lower on the priority list.

Sebastian

There is one place: The GUIdebook Gallery

But, inevitably, most transparency really offers no better understanding than just having multiple windows viewed using Exposé. In fact, it can be distracting due to overlaps and information overload. You can get it right, theoretically, but it's tricky and not worth the effort.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
post #20 of 53
wow... an entire site dedicated to GUIs.... I'm looking at OS X 10.0 and I don't see it... ?

You can argue that Dropshadows do not contribute anything, but it's still nice to look at my screen and not see everything is flat.

As for it being tricky and not worth the effort, since when does apple care about the Effort involved for the tineist things?

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #21 of 53
I noticed the screenshots below the first and yeah I see it now... it just looks rough though...
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

wow... an entire site dedicated to GUIs.... I'm looking at OS X 10.0 and I don't see it... ?

You can argue that Dropshadows do not contribute anything, but it's still nice to look at my screen and not see everything is flat.

As for it being tricky and not worth the effort, since when does apple care about the Effort involved for the tineist things?

Sebastian

No, drop shadows contribute a lot. To argue against those would be stupid.

But transparency doesn't really add that much, with the exception of the inspector in iPhoto/Aperture. On every window theyre obnoxious.
post #23 of 53
Aaaaghhhh...my eyes! OS X has come a long way. The only reason we were so enthralled by Aqua back in the days was because it was a radical departure from the GUIs that existed before it. The idea that transparency effects were possible was all very cool. But lemme tell you, I'm very glad Apple removed the overused pinstripes and transparency effects.

I can see how people may enjoy Vista's GUI though...it's the same kind of step from OS 9 to OS X in terms of GUI capabilities. But I'm sure a lot of people will be going through the same thought process as Mac users have between OS X revisions.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis

wow... an entire site dedicated to GUIs.... I'm looking at OS X 10.0 and I don't see it... ?

You can argue that Dropshadows do not contribute anything, but it's still nice to look at my screen and not see everything is flat.

As for it being tricky and not worth the effort, since when does apple care about the Effort involved for the tineist things?

Sebastian

I think everything needs a museum, and if Burt Reynolds has a museum, then something that everyone looks at should have a record. Dropshadows contribute a lot, since they define the differences between windows and make the experience more like the desktop metaphor. They help make things more apparent. Transparency confuses and adds no new information, just mixes it up.

And Apple usually does not spend time on insignificant things, because improving clarity is never insignificant. Even the starfield in Time Machine helps you understand the nature of the program, if in a whimsical sci-fi way. Once the novelty dies down, though, I bet this will be removed, and replaced with something simpler.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
post #25 of 53
Transparency stuff is 10 years old. It might be cool in games, but for work transparent menu is really annoying, distracting and hard to read. Back in 96 I myself did one for program I was working on. It was fun for a week, after that I switched back to standard ones.
post #26 of 53
i can't argue with your dropshadow argument...

as for Transparency, I guess it's a matter of choice... illuminous looks like it's going to be glassy instead with reflections if itunes is any indication.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #27 of 53
I really like Aero. The transparency effects are very nice and the glass effect is very innovative. I don't think it's distracting at all, rather very tastefully done. I would dare say it looks better than Aqua. Luna (XP) was terrible but MS has really come a long way.

Vista is a huge step forward and for the first time Windows will be on par with Mac OS (sorry guys, it's true). I think Jobs realizes this, so he's going to counter with something really big to maintain the lead.

I needed to upgrade my ancient P4 PC and was really interested in a Mac. But since Apple refused to offer a $1300-1500 expandable headless desktop (i.e. a Conroe Mac Pro), I stuck with Windows. Having tried Vista, I feel good about the decision. When I eventually get a laptop, it will probably be a Mac though.
post #28 of 53
I wonder what surprises may be around the corner for you, Slewis?
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
Reply
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree

Vista is a huge step forward and for the first time Windows will be on par with Mac OS (sorry guys, it's true).

Do you mean visually? Because Vista still feels like Windows 95 if you bring it back to the basics...even if the underpinnings are different and modern, it still feels like the OS I hate the most.
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksbrain

I wonder what surprises may be around the corner for you, Slewis?

Hopefully none, I always hated surprises. With a False Fire Alarm and my Sink being yanked out of the wall tomorrow, I'm sure you can understand why.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree

I really like Aero. The transparency effects are very nice and the glass effect is very innovative. I don't think it's distracting at all, rather very tastefully done. I would dare say it looks better than Aqua. Luna (XP) was terrible but MS has really come a long way.

Vista is a huge step forward and for the first time Windows will be on par with Mac OS (sorry guys, it's true). I think Jobs realizes this, so he's going to counter with something really big to maintain the lead.

Well, I guess it's a metter of taste.
I tried Vista this weekend, and it while it's better than XP (wich is not that hard), it still feels like a look-ma-no-hands interface with 'tastefull' transparancy effects wich have no other functionality than just because they can do it. The glossy fake-3D look is soo 20th century ! It reminds me at all those ugly Flashgame sites.
And no, I'm not a jealous or envy Mac zealot. If MS would have made their OS more sober and simple. That would be a revolution. But no, they do what they usualy do: look at Apple and do the same -times 10- and without much taste. You call that 'on par' ?

And we're not even talking about functionality here. If you play a little with Vista, you get the same annoyances: popups all over, useless and irritating 'help', stupid wizzards, complicated control panels, dll's ... And then there's security. The first holes are already found.
And what's the deal with the 'modernised' menu's ? Good God, all menu's are differently placed in every application now. Have you tried IE7 ? And the new Office ? No consistency whatsoever. You got to hire a detective to find everyting in the menu's (or to find the menu's themselves). What a mess.
Nope. It's not 'on par' with OSX. Not even close. Sorry.
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGAR

Well, I guess it's a metter of taste....

....And we're not even talking about functionality here. If you play a little with Vista, you get the same annoyances: popups all over, useless and irritating 'help', stupid wizzards, complicated control panels, dll's ... And then there's security. The first holes are already found.
And what's the deal with the 'modernised' menu's ? Good God, all menu's are differently placed in every application now. Have you tried IE7 ? And the new Office ? No consistency whatsoever. You got to hire a detective to find everyting in the menu's (or to find the menu's themselves). What a mess.
Nope. It's not 'on par' with OSX. Not even close. Sorry.

It's the IE7 interface that I hate the most. Inconistent, useless, and it feels like IE6 with a new skin, AND I had to disable a critical shield in Spy Sweeper just so they could install the thing

Personally I'm rather fond of the Office 2007 interface. I only had a chance to test the test drive though because the last thing I will do is "buy" a Beta. I found everything to be exactly where it should be in Word, Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote. The other Apps didn't interest me, and out of those, OneNote, Outlook, and Word are the only ones I would consider using.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #33 of 53

That's a good, pretty thoughtful article.

Think Aperture 1.5's navigation window raised to the next level via dynamic CoreAnimation lighting effects and I think you've got a serious Illumnious/Leopard UI contender.

It's interesting that Microsoft started down this road just a bit in Vista with Aero's dark glass Taskbar... but didn't take it all the way (and instead added that tacky, fake-looking "shine" on every window -- ick). I think Apple will take the ball and really run with it.
post #34 of 53
You guys are setting yourselves up for huge disappointments.
post #35 of 53
That's why I've lost all hope. Prepare for huge disappointment and you'll end up happier.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol

You guys are setting yourselves up for huge disappointments.

I hope you're wrong, but yea, I'm picturing Steve getting up there in a few weeks and showing Leopard with basically the same UI as Tiger but with a few refinements - but not nearly enough change to the UI. I hope we're wrong about this because the current UI REALLY NEEDS A MAJOR OVERHAUL. I'm going to plan on being dissapointed. If the UI is not overhauled I will be dissapointed whether or not I get my hopes up.
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macvault

I hope you're wrong, but yea, I'm picturing Steve getting up there in a few weeks and showing Leopard with basically the same UI as Tiger but with a few refinements - but not nearly enough change to the UI. I hope we're wrong about this because the current UI REALLY NEEDS A MAJOR OVERHAUL. I'm going to plan on being dissapointed. If the UI is not overhauled I will be dissapointed whether or not I get my hopes up.

Get your tears out now, keep dry later, and smile, smile, smile.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #38 of 53
theres always a surprise; no one ever knows whats gonna happen. kinda off topic but i really hope steve does the Keynote this MWSF himself like the good old days, i always love watching him present us with new things
post #39 of 53
C'mon guys. What part of

+ Vista "inspirations"

don't you get?
post #40 of 53
Yeah, top secret... like iTV.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Illuminous UI