or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!! - Page 3

post #81 of 154
Thread Starter 
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

With a new Apple display, an iTV, and a USB tuner, you can have a complete HDTV system. Just add a good surround sound speaker system. Apple may even be working on that, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see an all-Apple home entertainment system next year.

Do you know how much more that would cost than just buying an hdtv? At apple prices anyone that did that would be insane, unless they magically lower their prices to todays hdtvs, which are lower and lower and lower.

For the price of the 30" ACD alone I could have 2 well branded good quality hdtvs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #83 of 154
I honestly don't think Apple wants to make a TV.
post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Do you know how much more that would cost than just buying an hdtv? At apple prices anyone that did that would be insane, unless they magically lower their prices to todays hdtvs, which are lower and lower and lower.

For the price of the 30" ACD alone I could have 2 well branded good quality hdtvs.

They would not be flat panel though; they would be rear projection or standard deep tv.
post #85 of 154
I have no idea if Apple will come out with an all-in-one TV but it looks like it's coming out with the components. If their new displays have HDMI connectors, that means they can double as HDTVs that will work with the iTV part. Blu-ray HD disc players also have HDMI output. I see there's a Samsung unit at Myer-Emco for $749. Those prices are coming down fast.

A real AIO HDTV system from Apple would have to have the iTV + display + tuner combo. I'm not sure Apple will do that or if it makes economic sense but I'd sure like to see it.
post #86 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Do you know how much more that would cost than just buying an hdtv? At apple prices anyone that did that would be insane, unless they magically lower their prices to todays hdtvs, which are lower and lower and lower.

For the price of the 30" ACD alone I could have 2 well branded good quality hdtvs.

That really depends on what the display type is if Apple releases a TV or a computer monitor. The ACD is not an HDTV, it's not meant for TV use. If Apple sells something that going to be sold for use as a TV, then it will be a proper TV rather than a computer monitor and would probably cost a lot less than the same size computer monitor.
post #87 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That really depends on what the display type is if Apple releases a TV or a computer monitor. The ACD is not an HDTV, it's not meant for TV use. If Apple sells something that going to be sold for use as a TV, then it will be a proper TV rather than a computer monitor and would probably cost a lot less than the same size computer monitor.

Bingo!

Edit.. any chance we can get back to those mock-ups guys?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #88 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If Apple sells something that going to be sold for use as a TV, then it will be a proper TV rather than a computer monitor and would probably cost a lot less than the same size computer monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I honestly don't think Apple wants to make a TV.


True, but why would Apple join a market that is so saturate?

The current 30" Apple cinema display is great, there is a competitor on Dell 30", besides these two who else is out there providing such high end computer monitor? please let me know if any other.

Now let's look at the HDTV market. A segment that Ireland and Rolo really wants Apple to join in.
Basically every single major consumer electronics manufacturer has a presence: Sony, LG, Sharp, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sanyo, Toshiba, Samsung, Philips, etc.
Then prices are dropping faster than a drunk on a Carnival parade, one example. Pioneer launched in July and amazing 1080p display at $10K, now less than 6 months later the same goes for $7K. I predict by 2007 year's end $4K. Man, that's $3K drop in less than 6 months. Compare to the Apple 30" Cinema Display that's what?, 2.5 years old? The drop in price has been $1500 in 2.5 years.
Another thing, there is a HUGE variety of great quality HDTV displays out there for anybody tastes and budget.
OK, now why would Apple be interest in joining such crowded market? Why do you think Apple doesn't have a digital camera, camcorder, printer, etc.? Because there is too much competition and great products out there and the same products will not help Apple's leverage their Mac sales.

The iPod fill a void in a sucks mp3 player market, the same can't be said for the HDTV market.

I am a firm believer Apple will join the TV market providing technologies like iTV and possible some sort of integration of software just like it did iTunes with music. Maybe an iTunes/or/and Front Row with TV listings, DVR recording capabilities, etc. That would draw people to buy Macs. Not an AppleTV folks.

It's simple, and don't forget Steve is not TV number one fan!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #89 of 154
Thread Starter 
gugy,


Apple making a printer is not the same as Apple making a TV. Case in point, the iPod Hi-Fi. What did Apple think it was bringing different to the table with the iPod Hi-Fi then. Using your logic they would have never made the Hi-Fi. Apple will makes TV's for lots of reasons.

Here's a few;
1. Apple makes consumer electronics products. Apple is moving into the living room, and TV's are the most predominant product there.
2. We've already established that Apple wants us to connect our TV's to our computers, ala the iTV.
3. Apple loves the AIO.
4. Steve Jobs doesn't love tv's. How is this a bad thing? After all that would only give him more of a reason to try to reinvent them.
5. Apple mightn't even stop there, they could licence iTV technologies to select TV makers as-well. HD Ready? What about iTV Ready?
6. Apple knows style. People like style. People like Apple products. People would buy Apple's TV.
7. Apple is a business, and this makes logical business sense for them IMO.
8. Apple knows ease-of-use, People like ease-of-use.
9. People desperately want a TV they can take out of the box, plug in, and do everything they want to do using only one remote control right away. With the AIO Apple TV this may be finally possible. And you can bet your bottom dollar Apple has their eyes on that prize.

Besides they have stores all over the States, using them those TV's would probably sell like hot cakes.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #90 of 154
Like the mobile phone business, I don't think Apple has much to gain in making a consumer TV. Prices would be sky high, so they would need some kind of innovative gimmick like iTV hardware built in or basically making it a giant iMac.
post #91 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

4. Steve Jobs doesn't love tv's. How is this a bad thing? After all that would only give him more of a reason to try to reinvent them.
.

It's a bad thing if Apple makes a halo device that costs a lot to develop, they completely misjudge the users, and the thing bombs. Apple usually gets in trouble when they try to fix something that isn't broke in the eyes of most everyone else.
post #92 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

It's a bad thing if Apple makes a halo device that costs a lot to develop, they completely misjudge the users, and the thing bombs. Apple usually gets in trouble when they try to fix something that isn't broke in the eyes of most everyone else.

5 Devices, and 5 remotes is broke in my eyes.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #93 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple making a printer is not the same as Apple making a TV. Case in point, the iPod Hi-Fi. What did Apple think it was bringing different to the table with the iPod Hi-Fi then. Using your logic they would have never made the Hi-Fi. Apple will makes TV's for lots of reasons.

3. Apple loves the AIO.
4. Steve Jobs doesn't love tv's. How is this a bad thing? After all that would only give him more of a reason to try to reinvent them.
.


Ireland,
You still not giving me a compelling reason to expect to see an Apple TV.

I select the points above just to say:

Yes, it's true the iPod HI-FI is here, and oh boy what a success this thing is!
R&D for a TV is way bigger than and little speaker and second the prices of such devices are NOT dropping like the HDTV sets are.

OK, Apple love an AIO, but why bring it for an TV? people keep their TVs for long time. I have mine for 7 years. I am planning to get an HDTV next year and keep it for at least 5 years. Why would why want a technology besides the TV built-in on my HDTV set that might become obsolete in 2 to 3 years and then have to replace the whole dam set?

and finally, I am pretty sure Steve can careless for the current TV model. He is willing to bring Apple to have a model that TV downloads using a Mac are the way to watch TV instead of just surfing channels and setting up DVRs. Why a TV is necessary to achieve that? plus the digital hub is around the Mac, not the TV set.

Sorry man, I know you want a AppleTV so badly. but the reasons you bring to the table are NOT strong enough to have Apple putting tons of money to develop such a thing and make a profit selling then and help leverage Mac sales.
Do you want a great TV, buy this one, It's out of this world!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...043890,00.html
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #94 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

You still not giving me a compelling reason to expect to see an Apple TV.

Apple looks to have a strategy whereby they have a piece of the living room and all the digital content that goes with it. They aren't going to get the enterprise or corporate business.
post #95 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I honestly don't think Apple wants to make a TV.

With new news coming in, it's time to do this;
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #96 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming seagull View Post

Apologies if this sounds a bit dumb... but.

Apple HDTV = iMac (screwed to wall) + digital audio out (to your av amp) + version of elgato

therefore - all apple beauty, cd player, dvd player, itunes, tv, internet on one screen.

they just need to make a 32" one.

-al

It is not a dumb question. The setup you describe is probably
a beauty, may i add, a pricey beauty. But also dedicated to tech savvy people and/or Mac fans.
The average jimbim doesn't need this power monster as a simple TV setup.
It is just not mainstream enough to attract a lot of people outside the Apple world.
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
Reply
post #97 of 154
hey Ireland and Rolo, I guess your dream of an AppleTV is a reality now.
Too bad is not a TV.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #98 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

hey Ireland and Rolo, I guess your dream of an AppleTV is a reality now.
Too bad is not a TV.

I never said it was going to happen until early 2008 or late 2007, so. I wanted people to make the mock-ups before the device gets released not after.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #99 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

True, but why would Apple join a market that is so saturate?

What? You mean like cell phones?

Apple just drew a line in the sand and said we're a general consumer electronics company not a computer company anymore. A mini-Sony.

Will they make an apple branded HDTV? Its not a given but its not completely out in left field. No one else is going to be building a TV with iTV built in so if there's a market they'll have to be the ones that does the integration. There's nothing really odd about Apple having a couple HDTV models with integrated iTVs sitting in Apple stores that are OEM'd by some glass maker they have a relationship with for monitors anyway.

With only one or two models their volumes should be high enough for a niche market and picking the right sizes they will have the margin they want. An no one else will have iTV built in and perhaps some specialized FrontRow integration for TV setup and tuner control.

Vinea
post #100 of 154
Thread Starter 
Don't forget if Apple did their own TV's they would do a more comprehensive remote, and they'd probably put a slot-load DVD player in the side, just like the iMac. I believe however that they are waiting to release iTunes 8 or 9, with iPTV iTunes TV Service, to wait for the right moment to release the TV's. Apple having the name change today, is also a hint of things like this to come. Apple wants to be a solutions company, and not just seen as a computer company.


Look at this poster, and think about what you it is you are looking at, read the whole thing slowly , and then read it again.. and again. The message is clear; Change the way you look at TV. Change. IPTV would be a big change. Plus the naming; Apple tv. Apple could call their actual TV's; Apple TV. They wouldn't say they had (iTV) Apple TV built insde, but rather they would say; "These TV's have the same sweet interface as that little box. Everything that's in the box, is in the TV. And what's more the hard drive is 120GB. I'm thinking they could actually put the hard drive inside, same software, and because they would know they would have customers lined up, they could actually price the TV's competitively.




One more thing... I not only believe Apple is working on a TV, but I believe they will call their TV; Apple TV. They already call their box; Apple TV, & I think they will also call their true iPTV service; Apple TV.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #101 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Apple just drew a line in the sand and said we're a general consumer electronics company not a computer company anymore. A mini-Sony.

Will they make an apple branded HDTV? Its not a given but its not completely out in left field. No one else is going to be building a TV with iTV built in so if there's a market they'll have to be the ones that does the integration. There's nothing really odd about Apple having a couple HDTV models with integrated iTVs sitting in Apple stores that are OEM'd by some glass maker they have a relationship with for monitors anyway.

No comment...


Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #102 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What? You mean like cell phones?

Apple just drew a line in the sand and said we're a general consumer electronics company not a computer company anymore. A mini-Sony.

Will they make an apple branded HDTV? Its not a given but its not completely out in left field. No one else is going to be building a TV with iTV built in so if there's a market they'll have to be the ones that does the integration. There's nothing really odd about Apple having a couple HDTV models with integrated iTVs sitting in Apple stores that are OEM'd by some glass maker they have a relationship with for monitors anyway.

With only one or two models their volumes should be high enough for a niche market and picking the right sizes they will have the margin they want. An no one else will have iTV built in and perhaps some specialized FrontRow integration for TV setup and tuner control.

Vinea

Not like cell phones.

The iPhone is a natural extension of the iPod concept: that's where the competition is, and it allows apple to move into the hand held space with an embedded OS X, which has long been perceived as a necessary and inevitable move.

A large screen display with a slot loading DVD and slimmed down OS X and internet functionality would be...... a less capable iMac.

Apple TV makes it less, not more likely that Apple will stay out of the home theater display market, since it makes any display into an adjunct of the computer, which is clearly what Apple thinks is the way to go.

It's the "hub" thing for the streaming video and video download age. Apple makes hubs, and hub extenders (the iPod and iPhone are portable hub extenders-- the real action is still on your desktop and they carry a subset of that functionality into the field). They don't make home theater receivers, they make Air Tunes. They don't make HD television sets, they make Apple TV.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #103 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

A large screen display with a slot loading DVD and slimmed down OS X and internet functionality would be...... a less capable iMac.

Not true, TV's are a different animal to computers. Apple TV is running an optimized version of Front Row, Front Row 2.0 if you will. Bare bones of OS X, but it's not OS X in the true sense. TV's, and more importantly Plasma TV's are nothing like computer displays. It's a different game, completely different game. Sony, probably the worlds biggest manufacturer of TV's announced recently that they are not going to be making any more computer displays ever. This is what I mean. It's different.

PS, I hope Apple does something like a Plasma or an OLED, cause LCD's don't make great TV's. OLED is unproven tech, but you never know, and Plasma kicks the living crap out of LCD.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #104 of 154
I think an apple tv will come but making itv built into it might make it obsolete faster than if it was just a tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #105 of 154
Quote:
Apple TV makes it less, not more likely that Apple will stay out of the home theater display market, since it makes any display into an adjunct of the computer, which is clearly what Apple thinks is the way to go.

I gave up using the word 'impossible' or 'likely' with Apple a while back.

With Apple these days? Anything is 'possible.'

A better word for Apple? Intimidating, Innovative...

I wouldn't be a phone rival...

The iPhone put the writing on the wall for many of the things we take forgranted...

Including TVs...

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #106 of 154
guys,
A TV monitor is very unlikely to happen.
I already posted the many reasons why is very unlikely. go back and read it if you are interested.

one interesting thing from the keynote Quicktime was when Jobs show us a graphic of the sales of cell phones and other devices. The cell phones were almost a billion unit sales market and the mp3's and digital cameras wayyyyyyy behind. Now how much units per year a TV set sales are? wayyyy less. Why? first TVs (HDTV) are way more expensive and people tend to KEEP it for many years until upgrade it.
Unlikely the iMac that is a computer, have a TV with AppleTV (iTV) on it makes even less sense for people to buy and have a piece of hardware that will be obsolete in couple of years and then have to buy it all over again. Come on guys is that so hard to see?

It makes business $en$e for Apple to go after the cell phone market (people upgrade it constantly just like the iPod), it doesn't for the TV (HDTV) set market.

A large Cinema Display with a possible TV capability is more likely than a stand alone Apple HDTV set or AIO IMHO.

The AppleTV(iTV) is where I think Apple will develop their technology. To bring content to your TV set in the living room from your Mac. I see it as way more interesting thing to bring more switchers to the Mac and make you digital life style more complete.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #107 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not true, TV's are a different animal to computers. Apple TV is running an optimized version of Front Row, Front Row 2.0 if you will. Bare bones of OS X, but it's not OS X in the true sense. TV's, and more importantly Plasma TV's are nothing like computer displays. It's a different game, completely different game. Sony, probably the worlds biggest manufacturer of TV's announced recently that they are not going to be making any more computer displays ever. This is what I mean. It's different.

PS, I hope Apple does something like a Plasma or an OLED, cause LCD's don't make great TV's. OLED is unproven tech, but you never know, and Plasma kicks the living crap out of LCD.

Huh? Front Row is an app, not remotely a version of an OS, and doesn't have any bearing on if Apple were to make a TV, one way or the other.

TVs are actually quite a bit like computer displays, and ever more so. The distinctions used to be resolution, progressive vs. interlaced, connectivity and tuners. Resolution and P vs I are no longer factors, connectivity is trivial and tuners are becoming something that happens in external boxes.

But that still doesn't have any bearing on whether or not Apple could or should make a TV. The only question is whether Apple can bring anything to the table that would make such an item desirable, and whether or not they could sell enough of them to be worth the investment and shelf space.

Talk of convergence notwithstanding, I still haven't seen a single reason, outside of "integrated front row", for why an Apple branded TV would be desirable. TVs display, they switch between inputs, they have some settings to tweak. Not really an elaborate technology crying out for Apple interface mojo. You don't really hear anyone saying "I would consider getting a plasma, but they're just so damn hard to use....."

The hard part is the part that Apple is doing: organizing the digital media, providing ways to move it around, providing on-screen interface for same. It's called "Apple TV + Mac".

Again, Apple TV provides everything you want in Apple inflected large screen displays, and it does it for every display out there.

And, again, if the idea is that Apple starts putting more and more of the Apple TV + Mac experience into the display itself, then what you are moving towards is a watered down iMac, or a really huge screened full-on iMac.

That may yet happen, but it sort of moots the idea of Apple making a large screen HT type display, since such a beast would be a new Apple living room appliance intended to bridge the whole computer/living room divide with an iPhone type graphic interface on top of an actual computer.

So what I'm saying is that there is no reason for Apple to make "just" a large screen display, since that area is handled quite nicely by existing product and Apple TV adds the interconnectivity with Macs, and once you start moving beyond "just" a display, at least for Apple, you pretty quickly get into AIO computer territory which Apple already does.

So will Apple make a really big iMac? Who know? But that's another conversation.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #108 of 154
Thanks Addabox!
very good post.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #109 of 154
I don't know if Apple will make a TV but you got to admitt it's a bit more probable since keynote.
post #110 of 154
why? what happened there that makes it so probable?
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #111 of 154
Apple seems to be evolving into a electronics company and away from computers. Doers that mean they will make a tv? Not necessarily but it seems more probable as they now are more than just a computer maker and have officially changed the name of the company to reflect this reality.
post #112 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Apple seems to be evolving into a electronics company and away from computers. Doers that mean they will make a tv? Not necessarily but it seems more probable as they now are more than just a computer maker and have officially changed the name of the company to reflect this reality.

Well, they're not just becoming a CE company in the general sense, wherein they must offer a version of all the things that, for instance, Sony makes. I can't see them making camcorders or printers or projectors or dvd players or, obviously, TVs. The iPhone doesn't change that, it clarifies it.

What they will make are items that can leverage the power of their computer ecosystem to simplify the distribution, modification and creation of digital media. That's the common thread in everything they have done to date, and it makes great sense for Apple. Extend the ecosystem, sell more Macs as hubs, make Apple media handling software ubiquitous.

So, DVR, or DVR functionality? Seems possible. Multifunction remote? Sure. Remotes are the perfect ground for Apple to step in and rethink how they work and what they do. Some kind of small tablet, based on a lot of the same tech as the iPhone? I think the iPhone definitely makes that more possible, although probably not in the way we expect.

TV? Doesn't fit the matrix.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #113 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, they're not just becoming a CE company in the general sense, wherein they must offer a version of all the things that, for instance, Sony makes. I can't see them making camcorders or printers or projectors or dvd players or, obviously, TVs. The iPhone doesn't change that, it clarifies it.

What they will make are items that can leverage the power of their computer ecosystem to simplify the distribution, modification and creation of digital media. That's the common thread in everything they have done to date, and it makes great sense for Apple. Extend the ecosystem, sell more Macs as hubs, make Apple media handling software ubiquitous.

So, DVR, or DVR functionality? Seems possible. Multifunction remote? Sure. Remotes are the perfect ground for Apple to step in and rethink how they work and what they do. Some kind of small tablet, based on a lot of the same tech as the iPhone? I think the iPhone definitely makes that more possible, although probably not in the way we expect.

TV? Doesn't fit the matrix.

What if you build the DVR and Apple TV into the HD display? Add in a smart remote. No I don't think they just make a TV.
post #114 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What if you build the DVR and Apple TV into the HD display? Add in a smart remote. No I don't think they just make a TV.

then after couple of years you have a whole obsolete set because of AppleTV and DVR.
People like to keep their TVs longer. Specially if you pay good money for it. It's not like most computer and other consumer electronics that every two to 3 years you get a new one.
That's an issue when you go AIO.
Let's say imagine that tomorrow Apple makes a 50" HDTV with the current AppleTV(iTV) set up built-in it. then in 1 or 2 years they have a new AppleTV(iTV) with 1080p support. then guess what, you are stuck with and inferior product and your HDTV is just fine.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #115 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

then after couple of years you have a whole obsolete set because of AppleTV and DVR.
People like to keep their TVs longer. Specially if you pay good money for it. It's not like most computer and other consumer electronics that every two to 3 years you get a new one.
That's an issue when you go AIO.
Let's say imagine that tomorrow Apple makes a 50" HDTV with the current AppleTV(iTV) set up built-in it. then in 1 or 2 years they have a new AppleTV(iTV) with 1080p support. then guess what, you are stuck with and inferior product and your HDTV is just fine.

How is that any different than buying an HDTV that only displays a max of 720p? Last I checked thay were selling just fine. Your points are valid but one must consider the advantages of AIO design which simplifies the experience for the user. There are pros and cons each way but we know Apple's view on this. They like AIO design.
post #116 of 154
sure, 720p are selling well. and they will continue. There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.
AIO are great for some products like computers(iMac), some printer/fax/scanner combos, etc...
The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.
Basicaly, I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.
If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #117 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post

sure, 720p are selling well. and they will continue. There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.
AIO are great for some products like computers(iMac), some printer/fax/scanner combos, etc...
The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.
Basicaly, I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.
If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.

What's this, a collection of random thoughts?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #118 of 154
don't you know how to read?
I would think after 2,277 posts you have a grasp of how this forum works.
just a hint, I am replying to my friend backtomac. do you get it now?
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #119 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy;

There are people who buys TVs that are not even HDTV, like standard res.

Maybe in the States, but not in Europe anymore, on any scale worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy;

The point I am making is why would you pay $3k to $7k for a great HDTV set (hi-end) and have a built-in that could make it obsolete sooner than later.

Those are some lofty prices there. So you saying they shouldn't make an all AIO TV because it will become obsolete eventually. TV with 'n' draft, TV Edition remote, Apple TV technology inside, a wonderful UI and user expirence, iTunes TV service with some live content. They'd make them cause they would sell, and they'd be great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy;

I think anobody that's looking into purchase a hi-end HDTV wants it to last longer than 3 to 4 years.

That's pretty obvious, and with this TV it could be updated on the software end over the net to make it pretty future-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy;

If Apple ever makes a HDTV will be an expensive item that somebody wants to keep for awhile.

Actually I think the bigger Apple is getting, the more mainstream they are getting, and the fact that they have both such a big pulpit and an ever growing retail business. I think they would be able to price such an AIO device rather competitively, and yes people would want to keep them for a while.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #120 of 154
Ireland,
I am glad we are agreeing at least on something.
Just one comment:
"Those are some lofty prices there" the prices mentioned are not that far out. Go to any website and look for 40" + HDTV hi-end, Pioneer, Sony and many others. $3K to $7k are pretty much what they cost for 1080p.
Apple usually charge a premium for their products, so I would not be surprise if they ever come up with such TV they will charge accordingly.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › For the fun of it, enter your Mock-ups for an Apple HD TV here!!