or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Warning: Your ass is too big!

Warning: Your ass is too big! - Page 5

post #161 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

So the cost to the government is about medicare and medicaid...which is what I suspected. I addressed that.

But the issues are obviously intrincally interwined as you have illustrated by your own argument in favor of government intervention into the obesity issue.

And the circular reasoning continues.

So what? People do lots of things that result in externalized costs...and externalized benefits as well. This is an extraordinarily weak argument for government intervention.

And that's what I'm talking about.

Education...information sharing and spreading is fine (though even these things can be private-sectored). But forcibly making these choices for people is over the time (which is where this thread started).

I am not arguing that intervention is justification for more intervention. I am saying that if we accept that intervention exists at present, obesity costs tax dollars. Now, if we tie that to a discussion of eliminating the government's role in healthcare, that may be different. One can't have a discussion without some givens...some established parameters, if you will.

What you're doing equates to this: Someone proposes raising the income tax rates. You disagree, but on the grounds that we shouldn't have income tax at all. They're two different issues.

Your last statement makes me wonder why you're continuing on with this. Your position, if I read correctly, was that the government does not have a vested interest (or should not) in the health of its citizens...specifically, obesity. However, it's clear that government does. Your last statement essentially confirms what I've been saying...that's its merely a question of how far we should go in terms of limiting personal freedoms.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #162 of 163
In the case where there an intervention such as the public healthcare is in effect, and obesity causes expenses in that sector, you could argue for anti-obesity advertising etc. on the basis that they were purely a cost cutting measure for the healthcare sector, saving more in healthcare expenses than what they cost.

Then again, it's a little perverse that a government, which technically represents the collective opinion of all citizens in a democracy, would take the citizens' resources and use them to change the opinions of those citizens. A good friend of mine argued governments should never engage in opinion-change campaigns for the reason that if the democratic opinion of the people really was that more awareness of a particular thing is needed, then they would already be motivated to find that information, ergo, any democratically supported opinion-change campaign would be useless and a waste of resources at best.
post #163 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gon View Post

In the case where there an intervention such as the public healthcare is in effect, and obesity causes expenses in that sector, you could argue for anti-obesity advertising etc. on the basis that they were purely a cost cutting measure for the healthcare sector, saving more in healthcare expenses than what they cost.

Then again, it's a little perverse that a government, which technically represents the collective opinion of all citizens in a democracy, would take the citizens' resources and use them to change the opinions of those citizens. A good friend of mine argued governments should never engage in opinion-change campaigns for the reason that if the democratic opinion of the people really was that more awareness of a particular thing is needed, then they would already be motivated to find that information, ergo, any democratically supported opinion-change campaign would be useless and a waste of resources at best.

I see that point. I am basically libertarian, after all. That said, it's clear that governments are concerned about this issue. It's likely they are concerned for a big reason. Obesity is causing or will cause a public health crisis, which for one thing will be extremely expensive. There's also a case to be made that a healthy population is more productive, thereby adding to national domestic product. The point is, either the government has a vested interest in addressing the issue or it doesn't. With government playing a pretty large role in health care (whether it should or not), I say it does. I just oppose methods of addressing the problem that put significant constraints of personal freedoms.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Warning: Your ass is too big!