or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › The Mystery of Keyboard Shortcuts

The Mystery of Keyboard Shortcuts

post #1 of 13
I can't seem to figure out how to assign a keyboard shortcut that will allow me to open up Safari on the fly. I just got my Macbook a few days ago, and I've got most of the features and functionalities down to a T, yet this is the only thing I can't seem to figure out on my own.

I'm lowering my pride down and asking for help.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
I can't seem to figure out how to assign a keyboard shortcut that will allow me to open up Safari on the fly. I just got my Macbook a few days ago, and I've got

I'll teach you one better. Go to System Preferences>Speech
Calibrate your Microphone, and once you're done, close System Preferences and Safari if you have it open. Hold down the "esc" key (unless you changed it) and say "Open Safari"

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #3 of 13
http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

is what I use. You can assign an Applescript to any key combo including function keys. Apple should really have this sort of thing built-in.

I use this for itunes too. I can put my computer on screensaver and turn off the display but still pick up my headphones and hit play (I have a PC keyboard with media buttons) and skip tracks.

I didn't realise but it also allows you to adjust mouse acceleration curves. Someone wasn't happy about the supposedly slow mouse in OS X.
post #4 of 13
Well, you are not crazy because as you discovered, there is no built-in keystroke macro facility in OS X. YOu can write all the Applescripts you want, but there is no way to assign a key combo to them without a third-party utility.

QuicKeys (cesoftware.com) or search VersionTracker.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #5 of 13
Are you not using the dock menu??
post #6 of 13
Using Overflow, I can open Safari with F1 and "S".
post #7 of 13
Call me dumb - I've only had mine for 3 days - but why can't you just click on the compass at the bottom of the screen? That opens it for me...
post #8 of 13
Use Quicksilver. It'll launch Safari and do lots of other things besides.

I think the minimum amount of keystrokes to open Safari with it is three: one key to activate QS, s key to select Safari (this is actually a free-form search, but you can set s to always mean Safari) and enter to launch. This drops down to two keystrokes if you only use it to launch Safari, because it will remember the last launch item.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
post #9 of 13
Hm… ctrl-F3, right, enter?
post #10 of 13
go with quicksilver
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchogirl View Post

Call me dumb - I've only had mine for 3 days - but why can't you just click on the compass at the bottom of the screen? That opens it for me...

I'm with you. That seems to be the easiest way.
ADS
ADS
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I'm with you. That seems to be the easiest way.

Dude, 2006.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #13 of 13
Red faced. Didn't read date.
ADS
ADS
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › The Mystery of Keyboard Shortcuts