or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cisco introduces "iPhone" family of devices

Cisco introduces "iPhone" family of devices - Page 2

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

You think Apple would be stupid enough not to want to leverage the product off their existing ubiquitous iPod brand name, don't be foolish.

Rather than type the in detail why Apple will chose the name "iPod Phone" for their "iPhone" all over again, I point you to my comment over on digg.

I imagine that would all depend on the phone's interface. If there is an OS X-like feel to it--with Dashboard widgets, Mail, iChat, etc.--then I imagine they wouldn't call it an "iPod" at all as that name is synonymous with music player and not as a serious phone and internet device to complement one's Mac.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius

Wilco, I just have to ask: Are you 12 years old or just utterly immature? (Also, my apologies to any 12 year-olds who might be reading this but I think you get my point).

Your brown zune/poo schtick was funny for about half a second the first time. Now it's just tiresome. Move on already!

He's really the guy on Ain't It Cool News who always squeezes in the "Hulk Hogan", "Sexy Tomboy Beanpole", or "Damn You, Michael Bay" comment.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #43 of 94
They could just call it iScream for all those idiots who think it's OK for everyone in the crowd to listen to their cell phone conversation. Shuddup already, we don't care!

I wish Apple would just release the phone/ipod combo as the iChat and with it release the iChatAV software for Windows also. They would sell a ton of phones like they did with the iPod when it was released with iTunes for Windows. This would also finally give us the opportunity to have chat av with our fellow PC users.
post #44 of 94
Quote:

Wilco, I just have to ask: Are you 12 years old or just utterly immature? (Also, my apologies to any 12 year-olds who might be reading this but I think you get my point).

Your brown zune/poo schtick was funny for about half a second the first time. Now it's just tiresome. Move on already!

It's probably the most tiresome post-count-padding I've seen.

From this point on, I'll be deleting any further posts like that.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #45 of 94
this thing isn't the iPhone, it's the penisPhone. take a second look at the keypad and you'll agree.
post #46 of 94
Quote:

Now it's funny again....
post #47 of 94
I'm putting my money on "iPod gabber" - easy and fun to say. Well, kind of.
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle

I'm putting my money on "iPod gabber" - easy and fun to say. Well, kind of.

Those would be the most annoying ringtones ever.

Check Wikipedia for 'gabber', if you have no idea what I mean.
post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Cell Phone iPod = CephaloPod!

The new Apple CephaloPod: Be the Squid

I love it. That post made me smile. Thanks.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #50 of 94
iPod + iPhone = iPhod

Just wanna hear Jobs saying this on the next expo!: "Today we have the iPod and iPhod!"
post #51 of 94
How 'bout the iPancho, since the iCisco is already made.

Or maybe the iPod-a-palooza.

j
post #52 of 94
The "iTalk Stock Pop"

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #53 of 94
How about MacPocket or PocketMac?

But that is just if they fill my dream off a uber PDA, phone, iPod, camera, games, video, internet, e-mail, calculator device.

I am pretty pissed at them now, and plan to boycott them, just for stealing the name.
post #54 of 94
Whatever Apple comes up with for a name, it'll have iPod as its first name.

iPod
iPod nano
iPod shuffle
iPod mobil, cell, phone, talk, phone home, whatever.

I really like this guy's article: Welcome to cellular 2.0
post #55 of 94
cellPod?
post #56 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco

The Zune is brown!!!1 Like poo!!!11!

damnit i laugh every time
post #57 of 94
iPod Phono

or El iPodo Telefono
post #58 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips

And a long shot on a Treky name: "Pass me my iCommunicator Scotty ..." 8)

or maybe iTalk or iCall ... but my personal favorite, iCom

iTalk sounds good and to the point. Although I'm tired of the whole "i" thing, it unfortunately is in the Apple lexicon for good.
post #59 of 94
Just fyi...there is no Apple phone. All of the hype and speculation around a product that doesn't exist (yet) is crazy.

And using the name iPhone when Cisco has the trademark...too funny.
post #60 of 94
How bout the:

iPod Chat

(my 1st post, go easy on me)
post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

I like iPod Communicator. And I agree, I don't think that it will have "phone" in the title at all.

Didn't they trademark iChat Mobile?

was it Mobile Me ?

iDon't-wanna-take-your-call
iM-just-walking-the-dog
iMissed-your-call-must-be-bad-reception (gypsy's stole the Zirconium casing to make cheap jewellery)
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
Android proves (as Windows & VHS did before it) that if you want to control people, give us choices and the belief we're capable of making them. We're all 'living' the American dream.
post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantzn

They could just call it iScream for all those idiots who think it's OK for everyone in the crowd to listen to their cell phone conversation. Shuddup already, we don't care!

I do avoid the networks that offer PTT. Having to hear both sides of the conversation is bad enough, but to hear that excessively loud chirp at the beginning and end of each comment is annoying.
post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

Therefore they will call it, 'iPod Phone'. (iPod Nano, iPod Mini etc.)

Follow me on this one... what if they call it the "Mobile iPod Phone", or MoPho for short?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Follow me on this one... what if they call it the "Mobile iPod Phone", or MoPho for short?

iPod MoPho - HA HA I love it! But too controversial for Apple.
iPod mobi
or simply
iPoo
post #65 of 94
I'm so pissed off that cisco is using the iPhone name. Everyone's going to think of apple whenever they hear that.
post #66 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy12

I'm so pissed off that cisco is using the iPhone name. Everyone's going to think of apple whenever they hear that.

Apple was too slow on the uptake. If they actually have a product, they are going to be a laughingstock unless it blows the rumors away.

Anything less (**cough** iTV, for example **cough**) and Apple will lose credibility with consumers... even if they didn't start the bloody rumors.

Cisco was smart to capitalize on the publicity!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #67 of 94
Apple screwed up royally by not trademarking the letter "i"
post #68 of 94
Quick, call legal! Steve wants to sue the alphabet!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #69 of 94
I heard a rumor back in January about a new gadget from Apple with a touchscreen display that would cover the face of the thing. It was supposed to be the video iPod so I thought the screen would have to have a 16x9 aspect ratio. When I started doing mockups, the dimensions didn't match up with anything Apple had like the nano or the iPod. When I went back to my source with this, he said yes, it would be a different size between the nano and the iPod. I couldn't understand how that'd be good for a video iPod.

That rumor turned into this TS article on Feb. 9: True Video iPod to Sport 3.5" Display

At the time, it was believed Apple would release it in March but when I checked back with my source in March, he said there were problems with the display and that the thing went back to the drawing board. From what I can tell, that's exactly what happened and the project was reworked from the ground up.

Recalling these old rumors and looking at the latest rumors about the phone effort, I think this video iPod and the phone are one and the same. The thing gnawing at me 10 months ago was the idea that a full screen 3.5" iPod would have to be smaller than a regular iPod and I couldn't reconcile that with an internal HD large enough to store lots of movies. Ah, but if you think of an iPod that's flash based and sized between the nano and the iPod, the display makes sense but not so much for movies unless the 8GB model has enough capacity to make movie viewing worthwhile.

A 3.5" full screen iPod phone makes a lot of sense since the display can let the device be anything you want it to be with virtual clickwheel and virtual buttons. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with.
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel

I'd prefer iChat Buddy. A video mobile phone using an iChat client.

My money is on: iTalk.
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo

I heard a rumor back in January about a new gadget from Apple with a touchscreen display that would cover the face of the thing. It was supposed to be the video iPod so I thought the screen would have to have a 16x9 aspect ratio. When I started doing mockups, the dimensions didn't match up with anything Apple had like the nano or the iPod. When I went back to my source with this, he said yes, it would be a different size between the nano and the iPod. I couldn't understand how that'd be good for a video iPod.

That rumor turned into this TS article on Feb. 9: True Video iPod to Sport 3.5" Display

At the time, it was believed Apple would release it in March but when I checked back with my source in March, he said there were problems with the display and that the thing went back to the drawing board. From what I can tell, that's exactly what happened and the project was reworked from the ground up.

Recalling these old rumors and looking at the latest rumors about the phone effort, I think this video iPod and the phone are one and the same. The thing gnawing at me 10 months ago was the idea that a full screen 3.5" iPod would have to be smaller than a regular iPod and I couldn't reconcile that with an internal HD large enough to store lots of movies. Ah, but if you think of an iPod that's flash based and sized between the nano and the iPod, the display makes sense but not so much for movies unless the 8GB model has enough capacity to make movie viewing worthwhile.

A 3.5" full screen iPod phone makes a lot of sense since the display can let the device be anything you want it to be with virtual clickwheel and virtual buttons. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with.

Name your source... I dare you!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram

My money is on: iTalk.

Oops.... just noticed that someone else scooped me on that. (This is what happens when you don't read the whole thread, I guess).
post #73 of 94
Quote:

Name your source... I dare you!

He was a writer for TS who has since moved to a different country.
post #74 of 94
Made a post that I erased.... did not read the previous thread too carefully.

post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo

He was a writer for TS who has since moved to a different country.

Sorry, you lost me. What is "TS"? Thanks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #76 of 94
Quote:

Sorry, you lost me. What is "TS"? Thanks.

TS is Think Secret
Shiny Side Up
Shiny Side Up
post #77 of 94
there are rumors of TWO phones
my money is on MacPhone for the basic version and MacPhone Pro for the higher end version (black only)
post #78 of 94
The Phone wont have "Mac" in ze name
- it will try to ride on the iPod wave (and target people outside the Mac Kingdom).

... unless the 4 Gb is a severly crippled piece of junk, then we could have:
- 4 Gb PcPhone
- 8 Gb MacPhone

I dont think Apple has ever planned to use the rumour-names, neither "iTV" nor "iPhone".
Both names have been registered by other companies for years.
post #79 of 94
What about the iCall and the iCallPro or even the iCall-U \
post #80 of 94
£1 on MacPhone
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cisco introduces "iPhone" family of devices