or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007) - Page 4

post #121 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

But as has been pointed out in other threads, that's a pointless comparison, as clearly far from ever PS3 is being used to play Blu-Ray movies, while clearly every HD DVD 360 add-on is.



Two points, 1) IMHO most PS3's will eventually have some Blu-Ray movies, simply because they can play Blu-Ray movies, and 2) if Blu-Ray HW players (including PS3's) outsell HD-DVD players (including the XBOX addon), then economics of scale suggest that the cost of Blu-Ray HW players will come down faster than HD-DVD players. IMHO, 2007 will see a leveling in HD player costs as the PS3's will outsell the XBOX HD-DVD addon, and if the PS3's grossly outsell the XBOX HD-DVD addon, then I'd expect lower Blu-Ray player prices WRT HD-DVD player prices. Only time will tell.

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #122 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Anyway, the reviewer is comparing the PQ among BD collections and we all know that it has been sub par on average. There were some BD movies like "Total Recall" originally release as MPEG2 on 25GB BD disc which was released on HD-DVD as VC-1 codec in Europe showing vast PQ improvements over the BD release. This is just one example, but if and when the initial BD releases were to be re-released on AVC or VC-1, it's more likely to see noticeable improvements over the MPEG2 versions.

Looks as if someone is living a Groundhog's Day life back in July 2006. Actually, Blu-ray releases on average are beating HD DVD (both video and audio) according to the ratings on HiDefDigest and this site rates both HD DVD and Blu-ray movies BTW...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4278

Sorry, gotta call you out on the crap your stating here. ^^^

Quote:
Eitherway, the winner of the HiDef format would be the format that will deliver the best PQ at the cheapest cost and when the cost is nearing the cost of the SD-DVD. Well, the HDTV booming has started, so there soon be no concern about the added cost of HD display to joining in the new HD experience. Anyway, I'd have to restate that the cost will be the main driving factor for this format war, but the cost has to be $199 - $299 to be an effective hardware entry cost, but not at $399 or $499 even for BD. Most consumers would however compromise on the PQ but would not likely to compromise on the cost, and this is why the cost is the main driver. Hence, the benefit lies on the HD-DVD to win since it will get cheaper faster than the BD. There's a rumor that Toshiba will slash the price tag on the 2nd gen HD-DVD players at the CES and that would be one step closer to becoming a winner.

As I've stated many times in regards to economies of scale, I have to agree with franksargent as Blu-ray actually has the better chance of geting cheaper faster as there are so many companies supporting it and making parts for it.
post #123 of 4651
Samsung Drops Blu-ray Player Price

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...ayer_Price/410

Quote:
In the first example of an official manufacturer's price reduction for next-gen hardware, Samsung today announced a post-Christmas price drop on its BD-P1000 first-gen Blu-ray player, effectively immediately.

Originally released this past June for a cool grand, Samsung has slashed the deck's price by $100, with the unit now listing with an MSRP of $899, according to the manufacturer.

As any MSRP discount means an even lower wholesale cost for retailers, a quick perusal of online sites saw even more competitive prices for the BD-P1000. Both BestBuy.com and CircuitCity.com are now selling the player for $799, while Amazon dropped its price a whopping $330, to a comparitively affordable list of $569.

That now makes the BD-P1000, with discount, the cheapest Blu-ray stand-alone player on the market, edged out only by Sony's 20GB PlayStation 3 game console, which includes a Blu-ray drive and currently lists for $500.

Vitally important for the next-gen format wars, Samsung's move also helps to close the price gap between Blu-ray and HD DVD -- at least with such steep online discounts -- nearing the $500 list price for Toshiba's cheapest HD DVD player option, the HD-A1.

Such aggressive pricing can only help the high-defintion formats, as one of the primary deterrents in attracting consumers to a new technology is price. So we hope to see more discounts on hardware throughout 2007. Stay tuned.

Case in point to my post above this one. This ought to be a sign of things to come--declinging Blu-ray prices at a faster rate than HD DVD prices.
post #124 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Looks as if someone is living a Groundhog's Day life back in July 2006. Actually, Blu-ray releases on average are beating HD DVD (both video and audio) according to the ratings on HiDefDigest and this site rates both HD DVD and Blu-ray movies BTW...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4278

Sorry, gotta call you out on the crap your stating here. ^^^

As I've stated many times in regards to economies of scale, I have to agree with franksargent as Blu-ray actually has the better chance of geting cheaper faster as there are so many companies supporting it and making parts for it.

As expected, you're still posting those links with no values.... Are those review reports of the same movies being released on both sides?..... You've been a nonesense fanboy for the 2006 and I'd expect your fanaticism to continue, however, please post contents with little more credibility and something worthy of fair discussion.

All in all, you've probably didn't understand the reports, but even the nonsene link you've povided shows that PQ is still better on HD-DVD than BD. At least two out of three reviews reported such. BTW, are you planing to be a true BD soldier this year by getting one of those BD players or are you going to be on the sideline rubber necking again throughout 2007?
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #125 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Xbox 360 is also outselling the PS3.

The 360 has been out a year longer than the PS3...
post #126 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post



Is that YDL 5.0 by any chance. Have you run any code (i. e. complied) or run any benchmarks. Of course, that would be an additional reason for me to get a PS3.


Actually its Fedora Core 6. I latched onto a bad torrent or something. I gave up on the YDL download after a day and only a couple hundred megs downloaded.

I haven't run any benchmarks, but my impression is that for what it is working with (only 2 SPEs, a very small 256Mb of RAM and non-accelerated X server) its decent. The desktop is reasonable speed if you are just surfing. Eventually I'll try to stream some audio/video from another box in the house to see how that goes.
post #127 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I'm sorry, but if you're running linux on PS3, you obviously aren't a regular J6P, are you?.... you're just a hardware junkie/enthusiast. BTW, how is it running Linux on PS3?... I thought of doing something similar and having xbox360 add on to work along with it as a universal format HT console...... but I hate Sony as much as I hate M$ and I couldn't bare myself supporting both at the same time....lol. BTW, did you try running Windows on it? Few years back, there was a time that I had hoped to have PS3 running MacOS..... well...that was the rumor at time....

LOL - yeah I'm far from joe average user. I run OS X, Windows, Linux, etc. I had a UUCP node that was only 3 hops from uunet that ran on SCO Xenix/286 in 1988 as sophomore in college.
post #128 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

The 360 has been out a year longer than the PS3...

you couldn't get a 360 well into march after launch, bundle or not.

getting your hands on a ps3 seems to be a lot easier
post #129 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

you couldn't get a 360 well into march after launch, bundle or not.

getting your hands on a ps3 seems to be a lot easier

This is a crazy comparison. The 360 had zero next generation console competition. The best thing that Microsoft did was to rush the 360 to market so they'd have such a massive headstart. The benefits are what we've all seen - more software, one of the cornerstones of a successful console.
post #130 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

As expected, you're still posting those links with no values.... Are those review reports of the same movies being released on both sides?..... You've been a nonesense fanboy for the 2006 and I'd expect your fanaticism to continue, however, please post contents with little more credibility and something worthy of fair discussion.

Oh, a nonsense fanboy...hmm I don't seem to recall claiming the format war being over like a senseless zealot I'm directing this post too. Did I? You certainly did. The only fanaticism coming out of this thread already are posts from you claiming that HD DVD has won.

I'd say HighDefDigest is quite worthy. The link I provided simply did the math for me. Go ahead and do the math yourself if you're so doubtful, but it was YOU who claimed that "on average" Blu-ray was sub par. I just simply displayed how full of Mr. Hankey you are.

Quote:
All in all, you've probably didn't understand the reports, but even the nonsene link you've povided shows that PQ is still better on HD-DVD than BD. At least two out of three reviews reported such. BTW, are you planing to be a true BD soldier this year by getting one of those BD players or are you going to be on the sideline rubber necking again throughout 2007?

Wow, do all HD DVD proponents such as yourself lack in rudimentary reading skills or what? The link I provided was supplemented with a statement that offered evidence do the contrary of what you stated--that "we all know that it [Blu-ray] has been sub par on average." I also SPECIFICALLY stated that according to HIGHEDEFDIGEST, that picture quality "on average" was better on Blu-ray. I fully realize, that other sites have HD DVD in the lead, but I'm attempting to poke a hole in that dome of yours that is clearly stuck in Blu-ray's launch by referencing titles like Total Recall and show you that "on average" neither format has a CLEAR PQ advantage. Depending on which site you reference, you'll get different degrees of subjectiveness.

So, in general, when your spouting off claims like HD DVD has won and that Blu-ray on average is sub par, I think one needs to correct you as you are simply trolling old, irrelavent, and untrue claims.

BTW, I plan on purchasing a PS3 as soon as their available at my local BB or CC. You see, they never have any in stock when I go to the store, but I secretly sure as heck enjoy this fact because then I know zealots like yourself have already wasted X amount of $$$ in a hemmoraging format that is HD DVD and that PS3 with Blu-ray are already penentrating the marketplace at a great rate.

Hope you had a great holiday with your paper weight. Take care now, bye, bye then.
post #131 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Oh, a nonsense fanboy...hmm I don't seem to recall claiming the format war being over like a senseless zealot I'm directing this post too. Did I? You certainly did. The only fanaticism coming out of this thread already are posts from you claiming that HD DVD has won.

I'd say HighDefDigest is quite worthy. The link I provided simply did the math for me. Go ahead and do the math yourself if you're so doubtful, but it was YOU who claimed that "on average" Blu-ray was sub par. I just simply displayed how full of Mr. Hankey you are.



Wow, do all HD DVD proponents such as yourself lack in rudimentary reading skills or what? The link I provided was supplemented with a statement that offered evidence do the contrary of what you stated--that "we all know that it [Blu-ray] has been sub par on average." I also SPECIFICALLY stated that according to HIGHEDEFDIGEST, that picture quality "on average" was better on Blu-ray. I fully realize, that other sites have HD DVD in the lead, but I'm attempting to poke a hole in that dome of yours that is clearly stuck in Blu-ray's launch by referencing titles like Total Recall and show you that "on average" neither format has a CLEAR PQ advantage. Depending on which site you reference, you'll get different degrees of subjectiveness.

So, in general, when your spouting off claims like HD DVD has won and that Blu-ray on average is sub par, I think one needs to correct you as you are simply trolling old, irrelavent, and untrue claims.

BTW, I plan on purchasing a PS3 as soon as their available at my local BB or CC. You see, they never have any in stock when I go to the store, but I secretly sure as heck enjoy this fact because then I know zealots like yourself have already wasted X amount of $$$ in a hemmoraging format that is HD DVD and that PS3 with Blu-ray are already penentrating the marketplace at a great rate.

Hope you had a great holiday with your paper weight. Take care now, bye, bye then.

Hm.... please do go check your math or try to understand the provided data. I can't believe I'm quoting a nonesense site you're linking, however, when you add up all three reviewing site reports the Average PQ score is 3.84 for HD-DVD and 3.67 for BD. Eitherway, these scores have no merit since the comparison wasn't made to equal counter part release on the both parts. Some HD exclusive movies were restored from what was produced 20 years ago vs. BD exclusive movies release from 2006/2005. If you think these aren't the important factors than I shouldn't be even making this discussion with you. Anyway, the point is that many of the restored movies would have limited AQ and PQ restorability based on the age of the original film, especially limiting on the audio.

Here are the list of last 10 BD-DVD's review:
• Gridiron Gang
• The Covenant
• Rising Sun
• Invincible
• Transporter 2
• Lady in the Water
• Pearl Harbor
• Flightplan
• The Ant Bully
• Sky High

Last 10 HD-DVD reviews:
• Black Rain
• The Breakfast Club
• Lady in the Water
• The Matador
• Casino
• The Ant Bully
• Field of Dreams
• Hulk
• Derailed
• Dune (1984)

BTW, you can order your PS3 60GB from BB online:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd65900050007
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #132 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Hm.... please do go check your math or try to understand the provided data. I can't believe I'm quoting a nonesense site you're linking, however, when you add up all three reviewing site reports the Average PQ score is 3.84 for HD-DVD and 3.67 for BD. Eitherway, these scores have no merit since the comparison wasn't made to equal counter part release on the both parts. Some HD exclusive movies were restored from what was produced 20 years ago vs. BD exclusive movies release from 2006/2005. If you think these aren't the important factors than I shouldn't be even making this discussion with you. Anyway, the point is that many of the restored movies would have limited AQ and PQ restorability based on the age of the original film, especially limiting on the audio.

Here are the list of last 10 BD-DVD's review:
Gridiron Gang
The Covenant
Rising Sun
Invincible
Transporter 2
Lady in the Water
Pearl Harbor
Flightplan
The Ant Bully
Sky High

Last 10 HD-DVD reviews:
Black Rain
The Breakfast Club
Lady in the Water
The Matador
Casino
The Ant Bully
Field of Dreams
Hulk
Derailed
Dune (1984)

BTW, you can order your PS3 60GB from BB online:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd65900050007

No checking of math necessary. Did you happen to read the entire thread. Notice the average rating from all three sites when you review the last 30 titles from each site? Hmm. Read again. Blu-ray on average is higher. I'm not necessarily claiming Blu-ray PQ superiority, but simply dicrediting your earlier claime that Blu-ray movies on average are sub par which is simply not true. Time to get out of the time warp Doc. I know this is "heavy."
post #133 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisereg View Post

This is a crazy comparison. The 360 had zero next generation console competition. The best thing that Microsoft did was to rush the 360 to market so they'd have such a massive headstart. The benefits are what we've all seen - more software, one of the cornerstones of a successful console.

no, whats crazy is the amounts of backstepping sony and their fanboys are doing. the ps3 was supposed to smash everything on day 1 and didn't even come close, its image has taken a huge hit and a lot of people are worried it may not bounce back.
post #134 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

you couldn't get a 360 well into march after launch, bundle or not.

getting your hands on a ps3 seems to be a lot easier


My local Wal Mart had one of each PS3 model tonight at about 7:00. As I recall tomorrow is restock day so they've been there about 6 days. No Wiis though.
post #135 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

i've heard of many, and i've talked to many people, and i've witnesed a few occasions of being in a store the store having a few ps3's just sitting there.

if you check the other blueray/hddvd thread you'll see i didn't believe it either when someone started saying they had ps3's at their local electronics store.

So your point rests on nothing but your personal opinion, people you've talked to, and other anecdotal crap? Great..just checking.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #136 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

the ps3 was supposed to smash everything


Smash everything? I think you're thinking of Wii controllers there.

post #137 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Smash everything? I think you're thinking of Wii controllers there.


Haha, that still cracks me up. I can totally imagine my cousin launching his Wii controller into his own TV. Classic.
~jvb
Reply
~jvb
Reply
post #138 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Smash everything? I think you're thinking of Wii controllers there.


Haha... They should've made the controller with a nurf material. So, was it the baseball, golf, or tenis?
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #139 of 4651
Warner shoots and scores!

Quote:
Consumers wary of buying new high-definition DVD players because of a technology war reminiscent of the days of Betamax versus VHS will soon have a new kind of DVD that might make the decision less daunting.

Warner Brothers, which helped popularize the DVD more than a decade ago, plans to announce next week a single videodisc that can play films and television programs in both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, the rival DVD technologies.

Warner Brothers, a division of Time Warner, plans to formally announce the new disc, which it is calling a Total HD disc, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Two rival camps introduced high-definition DVD players last year: a consortium called Blu-ray, backed by Sony and others, and a group called HD-DVD, backed by Toshiba and Microsoft. Retail and media executives say this clash of corporate titans and their incompatible machines has left some consumers bewildered and has slowed the introduction of what is intended to be the next great thing in home entertainment.

Executives at Time Warner and its Hollywood subsidiary hope to spur sales of new DVD players and movies by gaining the support of retailers and cajoling rival studios into making their film and television libraries available in both formats on a single disc.

In addition to reviving the ghost of the war that marked the introduction of videocassettes in the 1980s, the high-definition battle has been exacerbated by the decision of several major studios to support only one of the technologies.

Thus, for instance, a copy of 20th Century Foxs Ice Age: The Meltdown is available only on Blu-ray, while Universals The Break-Up can be viewed only on a disc and player built with HD-DVD technology.

Barry M. Meyer, the chairman and chief executive of Warner Brothers, said in an interview that the company came up with the Total HD disc after concluding that neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD was going the way of Betamax anytime soon.

The next best thing is to recognize that there will be two formats and to make that not a negative for the consumer, Mr. Meyer said. We felt that the most significant constituency for us to satisfy was the consumer first, and the retailer second. The retailer wants to sell hardware and doesnt want to be forced into stocking two formats for everything. This is ideal for them.

In a world besotted with gadgetry, few consumer products have generated as much excitement and head-scratching as high-definition television. Flat-screen, high-definition TVs have been flying off the shelves for the last year and are now as common in homes as coffee pots. Yet few people are actually watching superclear high-definition programming.

Part of the disconnect is the lack of high-definition programming on cable and satellite television, and the additional outlay for decoder boxes and premium channels needed to get it. The rival movie player technologies have further blurred the outlook for high definition. Richard Greenfield, an analyst at Pali Capital, predicted in a recent report that this would be the first year since the introduction of the DVD that consumer spending on the discs would decline, putting pressure on the studios that rely heavily on them for profits.

For now, Sony; Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which is owned by private equity firms in partnership with the Comcast Corporation and Sony; 20th Century Fox, a division of the News Corporation; and Walt Disney Pictures are all exclusively releasing their DVDs in Blu-ray.

Universal Studios, which is owned by General Electric, is releasing only in HD-DVD. Warner and Paramount Pictures, a division of Viacom, are issuing DVDs in both formats.

Behind these allegiances are complex strategic questions revolving around everything from manufacturing costs to profit margins, debates over each formats technical strengths and weaknesses, and how these players relate to Microsoft and Sonys video-game strategies.

(Blu-ray players are built into the new Sony PlayStation 3, while Microsoft is selling HD-DVD drives that attach to its Xbox 360.)

Another wrinkle is plans by LG Electronics, and possibly other gadget makers attending the Las Vegas conference, to announce new DVD players with drives for both formats; however, such players will most likely be initially more expensive than other players.

Jeffrey L. Bewkes, the president of Time Warner, said the Total HD disc has a better chance of catching on than dual players. Research commissioned by Warner indicates that consumers are willing to pay several dollars more than current high-definition DVDs for a disc that works on both players. At the Web site for Best Buy, Warners Superman Returns DVD was selling yesterday for $19.99 in its standard format, $29.99 for Blu-ray and $34.99 for HD-DVD.

Still, it is not clear whether news of Warners Total HD disc would convince the studio heads who are backing one format or the other to release their wares in both. Sony, of course, has placed a big bet on Blu-rays success and does not want to relive the sting of Betamaxs defeat. The number of studios committed solely to Blu-ray has been seen as a competitive edge, particularly because HD-DVD came to market several months ahead of Blu-ray.

And HD-DVDs boosters say they doubt gaming fans who have been snapping up the just-introduced PlayStation 3 will take advantage of its built-in Blu-ray player and buy movies as well as video games.

In recent interviews, executives at Fox and Disney were unequivocal in their support for Blu-ray. They said they believed that releasing DVDs in both formats would only prolong confusion and the emergence of a winning format. I think the fastest way to end the format war is through decisiveness and strength, said Bob Chapek, the president of Buena Vista Worldwide Entertainment, the home video arm of Walt Disney.

Like other Blu-ray proponents and partners, Mr. Chapek said that he favors Blu-ray because of its greater storage capacity and other attributes. HD-DVD offers the same vivid picture by storing less information on its disc, which means fewer minutes of video and other features. However, among its perceived advantages, HD-DVD players are less expensive and also play standard DVDs, while Blu-ray players do not.

Because of manufacturing complexities, the Total HD disc will not contain a standard format version, said Kevin Tsujihara, the president of Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Group. However, several months ago the company filed patents for a new disc incorporating all three formats, which it could produce in the future.

Mr. Tsujihara described the new disc as an elegant way for studios to make their content available more widely in a way that is not conceding defeat for the format they have been backing.

In the short term, Total HD would actually add to the number of formats retailers will have to stock, raising it from three to four. However, Irynne V. MacKay, senior vice president for entertainment products at Circuit City, said she supported the idea because it took pressure off consumers puzzling over which format to invest in. The simpler the future is for us, the better, said Ms. MacKay.

Damn...winds of change
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #140 of 4651
Hm.... does this mean that I have to pay more than the BD DVD price to buy warner HD-DVD movies?.... I thought the Combo disc was bad enough for HD-DVD. With popularity of possible Universal format player, the warner's efforts may not be needed, but maybe even lose the advantage of HD-DVD movies being lowerly priced on the street. I'm just afraid that such ultra hd combo disc may hike up the price so high that it would cost 2 to 3x the price of the SD-DVD. Which means, HiDef format will be a niche market for good.
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #141 of 4651
Well now that Warner is peddling their hybrid discs (rumored)

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=1473

we may just see Uni players and hybrid discs take the flag.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #142 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Smash everything? I think you're thinking of Wii controllers there.




Probably the MAIN reason I don't play VG's, because frankwoulddothat! That plus I'm just not that good as VG's.

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #143 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So your point rests on nothing but your personal opinion, people you've talked to, and other anecdotal crap? Great..just checking.

maybe you should check out Time magazine, PC world, the New York Times,Washington Post and a slew of gaming magazines, sites, forums, and blogs to get a better understanding of what i'm talking about
post #144 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Warner shoots and scores!



Damn...winds of change



w00t! Now we'll have three HD-ROM types, HD format problem solved???????????

So HDTV's are flying off the shelves, I'll accept that, no problem there.

But what percentage of those HDTV's are < 37"? I'd SWAG alot.

How many of those < 37" HDTV's play 1080p native? Zero (and please don't count 23+" monitors here)?

LCD's? Poor black levels?
Pasma's? Native resolution?
LDP's? Picture quality? (I don't know for sure, but I was never impressed with the picture quality/crispness of SD RP analog sets)

Price points for HDTV's > 37"? Not cheap!

And the SOP in most marketing/sales is to come in with high priced HW, skim the cream (those with the money who can afford the initial high price points), drop down a price point, skip cream again, repeat ad infinitum. So that several years after introduction, we have a fully populated tiered price structure (albeit at somewhat lower price points then when initially introduced, which is a good thing BTW).

I'd also like to get past all the marketing hype, for instance, what are the historic annual DVD sales through 2006 (starting from 1997)? Are they really leveling off? I need hard numbers here! What precentage of those DVD sales were HD (both HD formats combined (fudge the HD format war and claims of victory))? I'd SWAG 0.01% for 2006!

Talk about HD's potential Waterloo, talk about HD's potential Tower of Babel!

And I'm going home!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #145 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Warner shoots and scores!

Why? A hybrid disc only helps dual format studios. Why would Universal suddenly spend money on making BD masters? Why would Fox suddenly spend money on making HD DVD masters?

Warner can save money and that's the only reason for them making the format - it's not to help you.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #146 of 4651


The next video format war – are you wondering what the truth is?

I'd like to get my hands on this market research, it has DVD retail sales figures from 1997 thru 2005, it does appear that retail DVD sales may be peaking.

HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc and the future of home entertainment: A strategic analysis

But the PDF version cost $5,120 US!

It was released in August, 2006, so it may be old news to you guys.

See also, Does the European video market have a hi-def future?

And, NA/US DVD Industry Data

So it appears that the industry believes that additional HD-ROM sales of 15-20% over existing DVD sales might occur by 2010, but if DVD-ROM sales decrease 15-20% at the same time, sounds like a zero sum game to me!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #147 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Why? A hybrid disc only helps dual format studios. Why would Universal suddenly spend money on making BD masters? Why would Fox suddenly spend money on making HD DVD masters?

Warner can save money and that's the only reason for them making the format - it's not to help you.

Studios would be stupid not to jump on this. Two formats, one disc = double the potential market.
post #148 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Why? A hybrid disc only helps dual format studios. Why would Universal suddenly spend money on making BD masters? Why would Fox suddenly spend money on making HD DVD masters?

Warner can save money and that's the only reason for them making the format - it's not to help you.

Exactly...there's an impetus for eclusive studios to change their ways. Retailers will thank them as well because stocking one SKU of a HD title is always preferrable. The only negative is cost and maybe performance if their are unseen "gotchas"

Microsoft may be interested in this as well because they have authoring tools that let a studio encode to VC-1 for HD DVD and then run that final encode through a converter tool that resets parameters for Blu-ray. Universal has been VC-1 so they could easily convert to Blu-ray with this tool.

2007 will see the last gasps of this weak war as the Universals and perhaps hybrid discs assume command.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #149 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Studios would be stupid not to jump on this. Two formats, one disc = double the potential market.

Only if those two markets are the same size. Plus the reasons why some studios didn't choose HD DVD or Blu-ray in the first place will still be valid.

Dual format players can have a much larger impact IMHO.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #150 of 4651
I could see the benefit of having dual disc on paper, but in reality it may only be beneficial as long as the cost of the content would stay the same or lower. However, it's likely to have the prices jacked up for such dual disc and no J6P will go near it. For example, I have few combo HD-DVD titles and I've never tried the SD-DVD side of the disc. I did pay 30% extra than the normal price usually I pay and still bitter about paying more.

I think people are forgeting that the ultimate format war is against the SD-DVD, but not just between BD vs. HD-DVD. The dual disc may remedy the needs of BD vs. HD-DVD with possible added cost, but how does it help win against SD-DVD when the cost is added?

I think the dual disc movie titles would cost at least $30-$35 on the street with $45-$50 retail tag and this is no where near the price J6P would pay for a newly released movie. Well.... online download service here I come...
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #151 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Microsoft may be interested in this as well because they have authoring tools that let a studio encode to VC-1 for HD DVD and then run that final encode through a converter tool that resets parameters for Blu-ray. Universal has been VC-1 so they could easily convert to Blu-ray with this tool.

They could do that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2007 will see the last gasps of this weak war as the Universals and perhaps hybrid discs assume command.

If universal players "assume command", Total HD aren't needed at all. Let's see the price of both too.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #152 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I could see the benefit of having dual disc on paper, but in reality it may only be beneficial as long as the cost of the content would stay the same or lower. However, it's likely to have the prices jacked up for such dual disc and no J6P will go near it. For example, I have few combo HD-DVD titles and I've never tried the SD-DVD side of the disc. I did pay 30% extra than the normal price usually I pay and still bitter about paying more.

I think people are forgeting that the ultimate format war is against the SD-DVD, but not just between BD vs. HD-DVD. The dual disc may remedy the needs of BD vs. HD-DVD with possible added cost, but how does it help win against SD-DVD when the cost is added?

I think the dual disc movie titles would cost at least $30-$35 on the street with $45-$50 retail tag and this is no where near the price J6P would pay for a newly released movie. Well.... online download service here I come...

I'm in actual agreement with you here. I just don't see this hybrid disc taking off. Personally, I just see it as a way for Warner to try and garner mass royalties from the discs themselves, not so much helping out the ol consumer. I wonder how many companies they've planned on sharing this tech with or is it simply a possible greedy avenue for them to get rich.
post #153 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Dual format players can have a much larger impact IMHO.

Then again, that's placing the onus on the consumer rather than the studios. I guess it depends who you think deserves to suffer because of this whole mess.

I'm happy either way, but I think they're both pleasant developments.
post #154 of 4651
There's a new video on the playb3yond website (at least new to me). Check it out, it's pretty sweet...

www.playb3yond.com

Click on the MultiDemensional link at the top.
post #155 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

maybe you should check out Time magazine, PC world, the New York Times,Washington Post and a slew of gaming magazines, sites, forums, and blogs to get a better understanding of what i'm talking about


How do those publications have anything to do with current PS3 stock? Go check Wal-Mart and Target and Amazon and Circuit City and Best Buy and you'll see what I'm talking about. As of now, there is very little stock out there. When a shipment comes in, its gone in short order.

You made a highly dubious claim that you can't back up. You made it because you go to bed and pray every night that the PS3 fails and the Wii succeeds. I've personally got better things to do with my time, but whatever floats your boat. Just don't come in here and start making stupid and outrageous claims and then tell others they're wrong.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #156 of 4651
Lacie Goes Blu-ray...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/04/lacie/index.php

Quote:
LaCie on Thursday announced six new peripherals for Macs and PCs, include new hard disk drive models and what LaCie describes as the first external Blu-ray drive for Macs and Windows thats available worldwide.

The LaCie d2 Blu-ray Drive comes with Roxios Toast software and includes FireWire and USB 2.0 interfaces. The drive records, rewrites and reads 25GB and 50GB BD-R and BD-RE discs, as well as DVD-DL and CD-RW. One 50GB disc is included. The drive can be pre-ordered for $1,149.

The Quadra hard drive features USB 2.0, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and external serial ATA (eSATA) interfaces. It includes the LaCie Shortcut button which will automatically activate applications, documents or backup files when pressed. Its bundled with EMCs Retrospect Express backup software for both Mac and Windows. It costs $299 for a 500GB drive.

The d2 Safe Hard Drive uses biometric access (a fingerprint lock) for security. It comes in LaCies d2 triple interface chassis, with FireWire 800, 400 and USB 2.0, and supports 128-bit AES data encryption; it also uses a chain lock port. The drive can support up to 10 fingerprints; the fingerprint with lock or unlock the drive. LaCies 1-Click Backup software is included. The drive costs $299 for a 500GB model.

The Ethernet Disk mini and Ethernet Big Disk are both network storage disks designed for small office/home office use. Theyre designed to provide networkable storage with access through FTP, HTTP and home wired or wireless connections. You can also use one of two USB ports for personal hard drive use instead. Also included is LaCies 1-Click Backup software. Prices range from $199 to $499 for capacities ranging from 250GB to 1 terabyte (TB).

The Ethernet Disk RAID is a RAID Level 5-based network storage drive that completes with system backup and recovery software for Windows, file sharing for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux clients, RAID 0, 1, 10 and 5+spare-based support, four hot-swappable SATA drives and other capabilities. The system comes equipped with two Gigabit Ethernet LAJ ports, can act as a DHCP server, and also features two USB 2.0 ports for adding additional storage.

LaCies FireWire Speakers require no AC adapter, and connect using a computers FireWire port. The built-in cable provides power, and the speakers use 8-watt minimum output. Theyre available today for $79.

All of LaCies new products will debut at next weeks Macworld Conference & Expo in booth S2226.

I wonder if there will be any more Apple related announcements regarding Blu-ray starting next week. Time will tell, and it will be awesome if Apple released new Mac Pros with Blu-ray drives.
post #157 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You made a highly dubious claim that you can't back up. You made it because you go to bed and pray every night that the PS3 fails and the Wii succeeds. I've personally got better things to do with my time, but whatever floats your boat. Just don't come in here and start making stupid and outrageous claims and then tell others they're wrong.

check out this article:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/04/so...ns-of-slowing/


I so want BD to succeed because BD simply is a better technology than HD DVD, but it's not going to happen until Sony lower the prices on the PS3 in the U.S. at least $100 like they did for Japan and start rolling out games that is noticeably more impressive than from the Xbox 360. SCEA president Jack Tretton has stated there would not be a price drop any time soon.

The last straw for PS3 would be its exclusive gaming titles, but many supposedly exclusive titles like Assassins and Tekken 5 are no more. I am afraid if the PS3 keeps stumbling in sales, the big exclusives like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry 4 may be ported to the Xbox 360 as well, then it would be all over for them.

And when PS3 loses, BD will most likely lose as well unless someone in the BD camp comes out with BD player under $300.
post #158 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

you couldn't get a 360 well into march after launch, bundle or not.

getting your hands on a ps3 seems to be a lot easier

Yes, but it was still widely available for 9 months longer than the PS3.

Stating that the 360 has more titles than the PS3 is no way to back up an argument.
post #159 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginerd View Post

I so want BD to succeed because BD simply is a better technology than HD DVD...

BD has more capacity. I don't think that automatically makes it "better" technology. Is there anything else you think is better about BD besides potential capacity?

Even with its special protective spin coat, the vulnerability of the shallow data layer of a BD bothers me. Apart from a BD disc becoming permanently damaged, BD playback is more susceptible to failure due to dust, fingerprints, vibration, and disc warpage. I appreciate the more conservative, more forgiving engineering of HD DVD, which also better leverages the capabilities of existing DVD pressing facilities.

And while the studios might love it, as a consumer I certainly don't consider BD's greater effort (whether it eventually pays off or not) at DRM a plus.

I purchased a Toshiba HD DVD player a couple of weeks ago, and a few HD DVD discs, not because I felt certain that HD DVD would win, but because I preferred the technology, I felt things were leaning a little in favor of HD DVD, I wanted a new toy, and because -- as has turned out to be correct with LG's announcement today -- I was beginning to feel that the format war was going to drag on long enough to encourage the production of universal HD players.

Now my worries about building a library of HD discs in a dead-end format are greatly reduced. If LG does a decent job with their first universal player, I'll probably buy one right away, sell my Toshiba on eBay, and then start buying discs in either format, with a preference toward HD DVD, at least in the near term, for titles available in both formats.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #160 of 4651
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginerd View Post

check out this article:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/04/so...ns-of-slowing/


I so want BD to succeed because BD simply is a better technology than HD DVD, but it's not going to happen until Sony lower the prices on the PS3 in the U.S. at least $100 like they did for Japan and start rolling out games that is noticeably more impressive than from the Xbox 360. SCEA president Jack Tretton has stated there would not be a price drop any time soon.

The last straw for PS3 would be its exclusive gaming titles, but many supposedly exclusive titles like Assassins and Tekken 5 are no more. I am afraid if the PS3 keeps stumbling in sales, the big exclusives like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry 4 may be ported to the Xbox 360 as well, then it would be all over for them.

And when PS3 loses, BD will most likely lose as well unless someone in the BD camp comes out with BD player under $300.

I checked that tracking site and I frankly don't find it credible. It lists like 6 stores with it in stock. I will bet real money that it's the bundled version.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)