or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Poll: What's Coming???

Poll: What's Coming???

Poll Results: What's coming at MWSF?

Poll expired: Jan 8, 2007 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 9% (60)
    new iPod
  • 16% (101)
    Apple TV/ home entertainment system
  • 16% (103)
    iPhone (under a different name)
  • 10% (62)
    updated Mac mini
  • 4% (27)
    new/revised iMac
  • 2% (15)
    Mac Tablet Computer
  • 11% (68)
    iLife minor upgrade
  • 8% (51)
    iLife major upgrade
  • 4% (25)
    iWork minor upgrade
  • 16% (100)
    iWork big upgrade (spreadsheet)
612 Total Votes  
post #1 of 56
Hope I can cover everything here. If I leave something out, well, it doesn't mean it ain't coming. This is Apple we're discussing, afterall, so nobody really knows. I have started a poll the last couple of Keynotes, and wante to start off this one as soon as Temporary Insanity started up.

Two givens: iTv and Leopard, so they are not included in the poll

When he announced iTV, SJ said "now you know where we're headed", which could mean the local Taco Bell or it could mean something bigger, such as home appliances.

Other rumors are few, but let's give it a shot.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #2 of 56
When you wrote "Apple TV" in the poll, I thought you were talking about iTV... @#$%!!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 56
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #4 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

When you wrote "Apple TV" in the poll, I thought you were talking about iTV... @#$%!!

Me too.
post #5 of 56
You don't think Apple are making a TV, buy you voted for it anyway
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You don't think Apple are making a TV, buy you voted for it anyway

I can't see the 'big display that will work well/directly with an iTV' option..
post #7 of 56
I think you should have included
12" MacBook Pro
Video iPod
New Displays
post #8 of 56
I also think new displays with built in isight cameras sound plausible. Video chat is such a cool thing and it really requires everyone to have a camera to get this technology out to the masses.
post #9 of 56
Can only have 10 choices in the polls, so I did what I could.

THink the displays might have been a good choice for early next year, but MWSF is usually more consumer based, and the Apple displays are pretty much set for the Mac Pro, unless someone buying a mini really feels like putting out more moola for a display than for a computer.

Video iPod I feel is a new iPod.

post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Can only have 10 choices in the polls, so I did what I could.

THink the displays might have been a good choice for early next year, but MWSF is usually more consumer based, and the Apple displays are pretty much set for the Mac Pro, unless someone buying a mini really feels like putting out more moola for a display than for a computer.

Video iPod I feel is a new iPod.

There was the rumor of the new 17" widescreen display as a companion to the Mini. Personally, I don't think we'll see front row/ isight displays unless a Conroe Mac arrives.
post #11 of 56
My votes.

new iPod\t= Possibly. \t
Apple TV/ home entertainment system = iTV\t\t
iPhone (under a different name) = Everybody seems to think so.
Mac Tablet Computer = My big wish.
iLife minor upgrade = Possibly
iWork minor upgrade = Possibly

Not on the list.
Mac Pro is due for an incremental update. I'd like to see a full update, but the addition of SLI drivers, on the Mac Side, and compatibility of their best cards out of the box from Nvidia is why I did not get one of these last time and stuck with my Alienware.

Apple looks pretty bad to me and many others for getting the crap beaten out of them in graphics on their own computers with the competing OS running.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #12 of 56
my whislist:

for MWSF
iLife major upgrade
iWork major upgrade
iPod widescreen
iPhone

for few weeks later
Octo-core MacPro
New Cinema Displays (hopefuly a larger than 30" display)
iSight optional built-in Cinema displays and stand alone.

for March or April
iTV
Leopard

cheers and Happy new year!
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #13 of 56
Trying to organise these into likely/not likely...

Likely...

iLife and iWork 07 are a no brainer to me, unless they drop the year numbers, go back to version numbers and release them with Leopard.

There is going to be a great big Leopard preview, and a shipping date.

There's probably going to be a fuller showing of iTV, including a final name and a shipping date.

A Core 2 Mac mini would be nice, and would bring the whole line up to Core 2. I think the iMac, MacBook and MBP would stay the same until Santa Rosa is available.

8 core Mac Pro announced shown demoing Adobe CS3, lots of benchmarks that Make Dell workstations look stupid. Shipping date later on.

Talk about how great iPods are and how well they are selling, point and laugh at Zune. Maybe a new or updated iPod product.

More Mac & PC adverts.

Not so likely...
iTablet - I'd love one but I'll believe it when I see it.

iPhone - Somehow I'm feeling the same as above.
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Trying to organise these into likely/not likely...

iLife and iWork 07 are a no brainer to me, unless they drop the year numbers, go back to version numbers and release them with Leopard. .......

I thought SJ said something to the effect that iLife was going to be built into Leopard?

I could be wrong it's been a long time since the Keynote, and press releases of from Apple after WWDC.
onlooker

onlooker

post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I thought SJ said something to the effect that iLife was going to be built into Leopard?

I could be wrong it's been a long time since the Keynote, and press releases of from Apple after WWDC.

Given how important media is to almost everything you want to do on a Mac I'd love to see iLife become part of OSX but I think SJ only promised to include the likes of FrontRow, BootCamp and PhotoBooth and not the actual iLife apps. ;-(
post #16 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Given how important media is to almost everything you want to do on a Mac I'd love to see iLife become part of OSX but I think SJ only promised to include the likes of FrontRow, BootCamp and PhotoBooth and not the actual iLife apps. ;-(

iLife with every new computer, but you pay for upgrades isn't a bad tradeoff considering it IS a seperate product then Mac OS X, and will receive more upgrades in 2 years then Mac OS X will.

Sebastian
post #17 of 56
You forgot to add "New displays w/ or w/o iSight Built-in" and/or "New iSight"
post #18 of 56
SPREADSHEETS!!!! I mean OpenOffice's stuff is good enough, Spreadsheets in iWork '07 would be goooood.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

SPREADSHEETS!!!! I mean OpenOffice's stuff is good enough, Spreadsheets in iWork '07 would be goooood.

Agreed. No spreadsheet means idon'tWork.

post #20 of 56
I don't expect any upgrade to iLife or iWork till Leopard ships. I see this as a marketing strategy. With iLife and iWork built to take advantage of the new features in Leopard it give people greater reason to upgrade increasing apples revenue stream.

This also gives Apple the chance to really streath the capabilities of the suites.

I don't expect an iTablet till Leopard ships for the same reason.

Upgrades to the Mac Mini and the iMac are possible. Only a speed bump to the iMac so that the Mac mini doesn't get into iMac territory.
post #21 of 56
There is a demo of something out at the moment that expires in July, so Leopard will be released well before July, thus I think Jobs will announce the release date in SF. So, they could announce the updates and then release them as well when Leopard ships.

I think we're looking at a window of March-April.

post #22 of 56
Leopard will not be released at MWSF. 10.4.9 hasn't even been released yet.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

Leopard will not be released at MWSF. 10.4.9 hasn't even been released yet.

I don't expect to see Leopard till WWDC.
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

I don't expect to see Leopard till WWDC.

Thats insane. Thats way too late. Sometime during the spring or very early summer.
post #25 of 56
Apple's homepage shows "Coming spring 2007", so Jobs has to announce the release date at MWSF (Leopard - the entire new OS - is too big for any "special" event; at MWSF, you have media, tons of fans, tons of developers).

Also, Vista is now roaming the planet, so Apple has to respond.

post #26 of 56
I predict new Cinema Displays with built-in iSights and possibly HDMI.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

I don't expect any upgrade to iLife or iWork till Leopard ships. I see this as a marketing strategy. With iLife and iWork built to take advantage of the new features in Leopard it give people greater reason to upgrade increasing apples revenue stream.

This also gives Apple the chance to really streath the capabilities of the suites.

I don't expect an iTablet till Leopard ships for the same reason.

Upgrades to the Mac Mini and the iMac are possible. Only a speed bump to the iMac so that the Mac mini doesn't get into iMac territory.

iPhoto 5 used Core Image, even though it came out a few months before Tiger. Rather than dynamically linking the Core Image libraries, they were directly included into the application.
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There is a demo of something out at the moment that expires in July, so Leopard will be released well before July, thus I think Jobs will announce the release date in SF. So, they could announce the updates and then release them as well when Leopard ships.

I think we're looking at a window of March-April.

I agree with your leopard analogy. I think Tiger was announced in the same way, and at the exact same time. Tiger" was released on April 29, 2005.
onlooker

onlooker

post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I predict new Cinema Displays with built-in iSights and possibly HDMI.

Small Macworld
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I think you should have included
12" MacBook Pro
Video iPod
New Displays

Agreed... especially the 12" MacBook Pro
post #31 of 56
Apple said Spring 07. Steve at the WWDC Keynote said Spring 07. 2007 is a week a way, Spring itself is March 20something to June 20something (I can never remember and the damn Wikipedia Article isn't very clear -_-; ) so I assume that means, SPRING 2007!!

April seems like a good release time. Not too late in the month like March would be, and not too far towards the end of Spring like June. Plus April would be about 2 years after Tiger, and Boot Camp was released on April Fools day in which case, I still think it's a giant April Fools Joke (iWish -_-; )

Sebastian
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

Thats insane. Thats way too late. Sometime during the spring or very early summer.

WWDC is usually in late April or early May. Last years was an aberation in terms of time.
post #33 of 56
Leopard will more than likely be released in April (1 - 15). As others have stated before me, it is because late March isn't good because it wouldn't get the attention that it deserves.

HOWEVER, this MacWorld many new features are going to be shown, and not just the ones that were shown at WWDC06. I am thinking more features that consumers will use, plus the new UI will be shown.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
post #34 of 56
WWDC might then be a good time to release Leopard, for immediate release as it is due in the spring.

Otherwise, the date of release is announced at MWSF. I'm counting on this.

post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwitch

Me too.

Me three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I predict new Cinema Displays with built-in iSights

How can that be possible? As far as I know, Apple's displays work with Windows but iSight cameras do not. Please correct me if I am wrong! \
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

post #36 of 56
I somehow have a feeling the upgrades to iLife and iWork and the newly to be released iPlay will all be dependent upon the release of Leopard.

Can we change spring to just mean January?

post #37 of 56
I would like to see an Apple tv/media centre. Doubt I could afford it, but I WOULD like to see it.

And screens with higher res and smaller pixels.

And a web browser that saves text nicely.

Oh yeah, and a friend recently showed me how much fun Republic Commando is, so now I want that on my mac as well.
post #38 of 56
new mac book pros with dockin' stations, with Two dual-link DVI outputs.
new apple keyboards and mices (wired and wireless). apple could design better keyboards and mices.
Blu-Ray & HD-DVD burners as a BTO in Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro.
Top secret features preview. Leopard release date for March 24,2007

I do not wonder about iLife & iWork because their update is a sure thing, Hope iWork bring two or three new apps. I wonder about new proApps from apple. how about WebObjects? will apple going to open source webobjects?
:|
:|
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, ME FOUR...!!! "iTV and Leopard is a given" ... Heh.
post #40 of 56
Well, maybe stuff htat none of us dreamed of is coming....

http://www.apple.com/

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Poll: What's Coming???