or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "There is one more thing..."(TM)

"There is one more thing..."(TM) - Page 2

post #41 of 86
Well, seeing as Jobs likes to keep it short and there's already a long list

(iLife
iWork
.Mac
huge mac mini refresh
iTV release
leopard update)

I am starting to think the iPhone will be released oustide of MacWorld. It's just too much to cram into 20 minutes.

I think the "one more thing" will be the full screen iPod.

-=|Mgkwho
post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Might be stupid, unless you're a Mac mini owner who is happy with their display (eliminating the iMac) and wants to upgrade. Considers the MacPro too expensive (or too large) and therefore has nothing to buy. So what is Apple going to do with all of these customers? Leave them to Dell?

I use a PB with a 23" Display in the office and don't want either the mini or the MacPro, but would look at something more powerful than the mini and smaller than the MP. Right now I have nothing to buy from Apple, so I'll stay with the PB.

The PB works for you, so obviously there is no need for a Desktop. Added Bonus, you can take the Office with you. 8)

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Well, seeing as Jobs likes to keep it short and there's already a long list

(iLife
iWork
.Mac
huge mac mini refresh
iTV release
leopard update)

I am starting to think the iPhone will be released oustide of MacWorld. It's just too much to cram into 20 minutes.

I think the "one more thing" will be the full screen iPod.

-=|Mgkwho

Although I agree that releasing so many things in a short amount of time (and still talking about leopard) cannot really happen, I disagree about the full screen Ipod. I think the one more thing has to be the iPhone. If it isn't, Apple's stock will take a major plummet, and a lot of people will be dissapointed. The iPhone anticipation has been built for a long time now, and I think it's reaching its peak. If Apple doesn't do something, they're going to upset their fanbase.
post #44 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The PB works for you, so obviously there is no need for a Desktop. Added Bonus, you can take the Office with you. 8)

Sebastian

It does work, but I would consider a mid level headless simply because I don't like taking everything (especially the accounting app & data) with me when I go on business trips. I don't see a benefit in buying a mini and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro - or have a huge tower.

The most important market, however, is to provide an upgrade path for Mac mini users who like their display and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro. I say switch 'em and then keep 'em.
Ken
Ken
post #45 of 86
Quote:
The most important market, however, is to provide an upgrade path for Mac mini users who like their display and don't want to spend the money for a MacPro. I say switch 'em and then keep 'em.

Agreed.

The MacPro is not a step upgrade from the Mini . . . its far too big a leap.
post #46 of 86
For those of you who want a headless mac, why not just invest in a macbook or macbook pro. You could plug in a display, get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and have the option of carrying around your desktop with you. It would probably end up to be close to the same price and specs of your desired xMac, but have the added functionality of a laptop. Of course, I could be missing something, so if there's a reason against this, then tell me.
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff View Post

For those of you who want a headless mac, why not just invest in a macbook or macbook pro. You could plug in a display, get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and have the option of carrying around your desktop with you. It would probably end up to be close to the same price and specs of your desired xMac, but have the added functionality of a laptop. Of course, I could be missing something, so if there's a reason against this, then tell me.

One of the reasons for the xMac is expandability. Replacing the CPU, adding PCI Express cards, replacing the GPU, etc You can't do that with a laptop.

Plus an xMac would be cheaper and CPU/GPU faster than a MacBook Pro given the way component pricing works. And you would be able to keep using the same screen whereas with an iMac you lose the screen when you toss the computer.

I'm not one that argues for it, particularly, but I can see why people want it. Apple really doesn't offer a desktop like every other computer makes on the planet:

They have a laptop in screenless formMac mini
They have an all-in-one form factoriMac
They don't have a desktopxMac (my version=screenless iMac, GPU/CPU replaceable/1 or 2 left over PCI Express slots)
They have a powerful workstationMac Pro

It's an obvious gap. Which is why the xMac spurs hundred page discussions here and at places like Ars. It is however really really hard to get everyone to agree on what a xMac should be which is one of the reasons for the ongoing arguments.
post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Wrong number. BOOM!"

The hall erupts in a hail of gunfire into the ceiling followed by panicky short-sellers running to call their brokers.

post #49 of 86
given the options scandel, etc., I think that at this point if it's an "iPhone" the funniest thing to do as a 'one more thing' would be to have the phone ring, Steve answers and just screams "SELL! SELL! SELL!", hangs up and walks off stage.

after about a minute he walks back onstage and introduces the "iPhone"
post #50 of 86
Bah! The ApplePhone is so overhyped at this point, Steve should kill it just out of spite.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

A "clear entry" key on the Calculator.app.

Steve Jobs: "A lot of people worked for 23 years on this, and we think it's fantastic."

C, and CA are standard on most calculatrors. I don't know why Apple never included it.

The plain "C" would be "Clear Entry", and "CA" would be "Clear All".
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #52 of 86
the theme of the '07 keynote is 10.5.
so, any überGadget will get that out of focus...
and I'm pretty sure, Steve wants 10.5. in the press and no "finally Apple showed ..., analysts are disappointed because... stocks fall 5% ..."

... I believe, 10.5. new features will be the ground for "year of optical" .. videoPodcasts+videoChat+video.google integration into .mac+iTV+videoPod ... (<< which is the OMT)

iPhone? in summer '07 ...

ceterum censeo:
telephony is a feature, no device ...
post #53 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

the theme of the '07 keynote is 10.5.
so, any überGadget will get that out of focus...
and I'm pretty sure, Steve wants 10.5. in the press and no "finally Apple showed ..., analysts are disappointed because... stocks fall 5% ..."

... I believe, 10.5. new features will be the ground for "year of optical" .. videoPodcasts+videoChat+video.google integration into .mac+iTV+videoPod ... (<< which is the OMT)

iPhone? in summer '07 ...

ceterum censeo:
telephony is a feature, no device ...

I disagree, the theme of this MacWorld will be the newly branded iTV device. 10.5 will most likely not be released and Apple will want to stand out from the MicroSoft OS release by highlighting products other than a yet to be released OS.
post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

I disagree, the theme of this MacWorld will be the newly branded iTV device. 10.5 will most likely not be released and Apple will want to stand out from the MicroSoft OS release by highlighting products other than a yet to be released OS.

good point.
they will NOT show a "naked" OS...
and the eye-candy of that timemachine app is burned allready...

the success of iPod was based on integration of soft- AND hardware...
a journalist wants to hold something in his hands, not a disk with a manual "new features" ...

a videoPod, or a iTVbox... we will see.. the 9th will be an exciting evening (here) ..
post #55 of 86
From what I can tell by what I have read reciently is that 10.5 will not be ready. MicroSoft will have their next OS ready for release in January. So Apple can try to show off an unfinished OS to compete for press coverage or try to get that attention with other news. I think that they will do the latter, and the evidence points to this as well. They will spend a good amount of time with the rebranded product with the code name iTV, hopefully with a number of new studio's on board. This is where they can shine right now, and with the news of iTunes being overloaded with users after Christmass and Apple topping online sales for Amazon this is where thier attention should be, adding bandwidth and content. This is also where the major battle in online entertainment will be next year, and the Press will be paying attention to the developments here.

Apple will probably release 10.4.9 around this time adding any functions that they need to to make iTV shine. Front Row will be updated, and anything that they need to get the iTV working with Windows (iTunes update?, Front Row for Windows?, whatever) will be available for download or announced for future release.

It think that there has to be some Mac related hardware announced, what it wil be I don't know. I would expect desktops over laptops. Most likely with the consumer focus of the show would be the MacMini or iMac. The MacPro should probably be updated first, but I'm not sure if Intel will actually have chips ready for Apple to update it at this time. Same goes with the iMac. There is room for the Mini to go to Core2Duo.

Signs do point to an updat to monitors, and Apple needs it. This also suggests that Apple will anounce at least one system that will be able to use the new monitors.

iLife and iWork are typically anounced in SF, but Apple could hold out till the spring release of 10.5 for these other than what is needed to support iTV (iTunes/Front Row).

The Cell Phone, Apple hasn't confirmed rumors of it and analysts have been wrong before. Apple's stock may take a hit, but I think that if it is cominig it will be at it's own press function later in the year. Steve has already said that iTV will be talked about it SF I believe and two new major products is just too much for one event. I guess there is the off chance that they may show it off much like they did with iTV, but I woulnd't expect more than that. It would be better for them to hold off till mid February, say around Valentines day, and have a press event for this after the January product releases from MS and Apple are loosing the medias interest.
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by @homenow

Apple will probably release 10.4.9 around this time adding any functions that they need to to make iTV shine. Front Row will be updated, and anything that they need to get the iTV working with Windows (iTunes update?, Front Row for Windows?, whatever) will be available for download or announced for future release.

Frontrow just runs off of Quicktime/DVD Player/iTunes/iPhoto in the background. Those will be updated for Frontrow, but considering iTunes 7 now handles all syncing with the iPod, I can expect the same with the iTV. I read a really good series of articles about the iTunes platform on Roughlydrafted recently. Let me see if I can find it. But basically Frontrow is just a Graphical shell, and nothing more.

OK I found it, it's here and I highly recommend it.

Sebastian
post #57 of 86
Higher res screens with smaller pixels would be, eh, acceptable.

Ooo, Ooo, and a web browser that saves text nice too.
post #58 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

given the options scandel, etc., I think that at this point if it's an "iPhone" the funniest thing to do as a 'one more thing' would be to have the phone ring, Steve answers and just screams "SELL! SELL! SELL!", hangs up and walks off stage.

after about a minute he walks back onstage and introduces the "iPhone"

HA! I'd pay money to see that.
post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

HA! I'd pay money to see that.

Um... if you're going to the Keynote you kind of have to anyways \

Sebastian
post #60 of 86
Wait, where does it say the keynote is only 20 minutes?

Because usually, they are longer than that, aren't they?
post #61 of 86
Keynotes have been known to stretch to an hour.
A phone is already under manufacture in China, so it's just a matter of previewing for future release vs. on sale immediately.

Here's a "rumor" site's view of what will be release (no phone):

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ress-26143.php
post #62 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

and one more thing....

Steve: Our Keyboard department have finally got off their asses and put a USB2.0 hub in the keyboard. Boom.

Well it would be about time!

LOL It's definitely past-due.
post #63 of 86
Keeping with the naming scheme of Apple's previous non-computer/non-ipod products I think the TV box currently planned will be called the Apple TV *something* or Apple *something* TV

Also I agree that this is not the time of year when apple usually announces new ipod products. Ipod enhancements will probably also be delayed since upgrading the line so soon after Christmas is probably not a smart move.

I can easily foresee a new product being announced that we haven't seen before. Something that none of the rumor sites have gotten whiff of, something just as closely secret as Intel-based OSX was.

I would say that since redmond is launching its Vista OS, Apple will probably announce a product that will steal away some of those would-be upgraders. Updates to Mac Pro line are anticipated and so is an update to the iMac family. Sticking a clovertown in a mac mini would have fans cheering as well.

What I'm thinking might be a possibility is an update to iTunes that allows you to rip DVDs into your iPod Video. Announcing a new widescreen iPod would put the icing on the cake.
post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerist

What I'm thinking might be a possibility is an update to iTunes that allows you to rip DVDs into your iPod Video. Announcing a new widescreen iPod would put the icing on the cake.

No, Nada, and not going to happen. Last I checked, DVD ripping is illegal here in the states. Don't know about anywhere else though.

Sebastian
post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerist View Post

Sticking a clovertown in a mac mini would have fans cheering as well.

Doing that would require a different form factor because the mini would probably be unable to dissipate the heat. And also, the cost of the Mac mini would skyrocket because the Clovertown is more expensive than what Apple is currently using.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #66 of 86
Quote:

...., DVD ripping is illegal here in the states. Don't know about anywhere else though.

hm, hmm ... I'm walking on very thin ice, me no lawyer, but laws speak of "overriding effective copyprotection mechanisms" ... it is NOT illegal to copy, but illegal to break the protection...
sooo, if the film industry/©owner shares its "keys" to Apple, and you have to pay additional 99¢ in iTS to rip your original dvd... ?

the dvd is the mass-storage-HighQuality-delivery-media, Apple/iTS + a fee is a LEGAL copy mechanism...

... an old idea of mine, ... but Steve isn't listening..
post #67 of 86
I think the iPhone will have a media event for it's self.

With Macworld concentrating on Mac's only with an emphasis on New Mac Pro's,Mini and a new Ultra slim laptop. Also iTV with the annoucement that other countries can now access Movies etc not just the U.S. I think there will be no new iPod announcement.

The rest of the show will be software base like usuall with an emphasis on Lepoard.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #68 of 86
Quote:

hm, hmm ... I'm walking on very thin ice, me no lawyer, but laws speak of "overriding effective copyprotection mechanisms" ... it is NOT illegal to copy, but illegal to break the protection...
sooo, if the film industry/©owner shares its "keys" to Apple, and you have to pay additional 99¢ in iTS to rip your original dvd... ?

the dvd is the mass-storage-HighQuality-delivery-media, Apple/iTS + a fee is a LEGAL copy mechanism...

... an old idea of mine, ... but Steve isn't listening..

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of having you buy movies in iTunes. I'm not sure anyone would allow you to break the copy protection anyways. I'll admit, I have about as much respect for the laws involving DVD ripping as I do for the MPAA

Sebastian
post #69 of 86
Steve: "Oh, and one more thing... we've been accused of an iTunes + iPod monopoly and we're being sued... uh, and another thing... boom."

That being said, I think the lawsuit will be crushed under the weight of counter-monopoly evidence.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 86
Quote:

Well it kind of defeats the purpose of having you buy movies in iTunes. I'm not sure anyone would allow you to break the copy protection anyways. ...

well, if you buy the key, you don't brake the "lock" ... (lawyers have their own logic)
and Apple just sells a few kB digits... for 99¢.. good deal, less traffic then selling aacs...
and the Movie Industry still sells the DVD.. as delivery media ...

and the usual, well-known, well-established limitation:
one computer, up to 5 iTVs, up to 5 videoPods...
post #71 of 86
Quote:

well, if you buy the key, you don't brake the "lock" ... (lawyers have their own logic)
and Apple just sells a few kB digits... for 99¢.. good deal, less traffic then selling aacs...
and the Movie Industry still sells the DVD.. as delivery media ...

and the usual, well-known, well-established limitation:
one computer, up to 5 iTVs, up to 5 videoPods...

Hmmmm... I think Lawyers and Consumers alike would agree on one thing here, They're not buying it.

Sebastian
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Keynotes have been known to stretch to an hour.
A phone is already under manufacture in China, so it's just a matter of previewing for future release vs. on sale immediately.

Here's a "rumor" site's view of what will be release (no phone):

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...ress-26143.php

His timeline for the speach looks wrong, Mac oriented stuff usually goes first. He might kick off with iTV first because that is what everyone will be expecting and wanting to hear more about but iPod's are typically at the end arn't they? I would think that there is going to be an updated Mac (either MacPro, iMac, or Mini) which flowes into discussion about 10.5 which transitions to iTV then to iTMS with a spotlight on TV show sales and Movies, two new movie studio's available, into iPod sales and new models (true video iPod?)...possible preview of the iPhone but not ready for launch untill later in the year.
post #73 of 86
No, he usually kicks Keynotes off with Sales and Traffic (in the Apple Store) Figures.

Sebastian
post #74 of 86
With the Apple TV product coming out soon there would be a BIG impetus to have some way of using the set-top box to watch not just the movies in your Itunes, but from DVD player as well. Maybe we will see a new version of DVD player that will allow streaming to the set-top box. (FWIW, the apple remote already works in DVD player)
post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerist View Post

(FWIW, the apple remote already works in DVD player)

And iTunes, and probably Quicktime and iPhoto. I only ever tried it in iTunes, but Frontrow runs off of those 4 programs.

Sebastian
post #76 of 86
Right - if it goes as usual, he will start with sales of iPod, iTunes Store downloads, retail store traffic and new stores opened, then the Intel transition and perhaps the latest Mac marketshare figures, Boot Camp downloads, then unless there is a new iPod he would go into Leopard, then iLife 07, then Adobe and MS will come up to demo the Universal Binaries, then any other hot new or new-to-Mac software, then iTV if he is going to announce a ship date, otherwise not; then One More Thing which will most likely be the phone.

No speedbumps of the computers. He used to do that when there was no software to talk about, but not in the last few years.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

Yup. It's the iTV (or whatever the call it) plus some more studios in the movie store. If they'd buy el Gato, I'd be unbearably happy.

Then it's 10.5 with bells and whistles.

I think the iPhone is a myth.

And Apple stock will tank the next day no matter what Apple does. Apple could release a full screen iPod phone 400 GB that you control with your mind and that gives you head on demand and the stock would tank.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yup. It's the iTV (or whatever the call it) plus some more studios in the movie store. If they'd buy el Gato, I'd be unbearably happy.

Then it's 10.5 with bells and whistles.

I think the iPhone is a myth.

And Apple stock will tank the next day no matter what Apple does. Apple could release a full screen iPod phone 400 GB that you control with your mind and that gives you head on demand and the stock would tank.

post #79 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

and one more thing....

Steve: Our Keyboard department have finally got off their asses and put a USB2.0 hub in the keyboard. Boom.

Well it would be about time!

..haha, funny... i will just throw out there that I want an iPhone as well!
post #80 of 86
What size will the rebranded iTV be?

1. Pocket-size

2. Mac mini

3. Pizza box

I think it'll be much smaller that what has been shown already.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "There is one more thing..."(TM)