or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook wont recognize recordable DVD media (CD's are okay)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBook wont recognize recordable DVD media (CD's are okay)

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I've read through the forums about problems people are having with the CD/DVD drives, but this one seems unique.

My MacBook will read:
commercial DVDs and CDs (movies, music and data)
Blank recordable CDs
Recorded data CDs

But wont read:
Blank or recorded DVDs.

I've tried a number of different brands, and none of them will be recognized. (The same DVDs I've tried in a friend's identical MacBook and his reads them fine).

I've reset the PRAM and bought a cleaning disc, none of which hand an effect.

I'm assuming the drive is bad. Just thought I'd check here once before taking my much-beloved MacBook in for service.

BLACK MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.8)
post #2 of 5
Are you sure you're not putting them in upside down? The printing goes on the top.
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

I've read through the forums about problems people are having with the CD/DVD drives, but this one seems unique.

My MacBook will read:
commercial DVDs and CDs (movies, music and data)
Blank recordable CDs
Recorded data CDs

But wont read:
Blank or recorded DVDs.

I've tried a number of different brands, and none of them will be recognized. (The same DVDs I've tried in a friend's identical MacBook and his reads them fine).

I've reset the PRAM and bought a cleaning disc, none of which hand an effect.

I'm assuming the drive is bad. Just thought I'd check here once before taking my much-beloved MacBook in for service.

BLACK MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.8)

My 1 Gz Tibook was the same way. My old 2.0 Dual G5 would not recognize some brands of DVD media (blank) while my new Mac Pro sees them fine. Frustrating as hell if you ask me!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
Reply
post #4 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Are you sure you're not putting them in upside down? The printing goes on the top.

Oh my god. I didn't know that.

Sincerely,
George W. Bush
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand View Post

My 1 Gz Tibook was the same way. My old 2.0 Dual G5 would not recognize some brands of DVD media (blank) while my new Mac Pro sees them fine. Frustrating as hell if you ask me!

I was pretty sure it was a hardware failure. Anyway, took it into my Apple store yesterday and just got a call that it's ready (they replaced the superdrive). I definitely give them credit for superb customer service.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBook wont recognize recordable DVD media (CD's are okay)